• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty sure it's less a "respect" thing and more that it saves art resources.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
It was almost meaningless then too because you could just gather onsite if you ran out of potions and honey.
Not at all yo, you had like, 10 honey max per quest from gathering (4th gen added semi-respawning materials, rather complex system but sometimes they respawned). You could set the time aside, but generally you ran out of potions, you'd scrounge herbs and what you could get, IF you had the time for it. Costed a ton of time to rebuild meaningful supplies. And that's not even getting into gunners ofc, poor gunners. Vastly vastly different from fast-travelling to a camp and choosing the item-set you use, from your store of supplies. Resupplying is a good mechanic anyway, it's optional as long as game's not balanced around constant resupplies.

Besides, if you have to scrounge for potions & combines to make 'em, you already lost the attrition game by then anyway.

EDIT: MH's just also moved away from the attrition systems & really embraced the hack n' slash action genre a lot more. Not a bad change, just different. I don't think the old Attrition systems would've been nearly as loved in World if they existed, compared to now without 'em.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all yo, you had like, 10 honey max per quest. You could set the time aside, but generally you ran out of potions, you'd scrounge herbs and what you could get, IF you had the time for it. Costed a ton of time to rebuild meaningful supplies.

Besides, if you have to scrounge for potions & combines to make 'em, you already lost the attrition game by then anyway.
Bring 10 potions, 10 Mega 10 herbs, 10 of the item you mix herbs with I forgot about 10 honey. Scrounge for more. If you need more than 30-40 potions you're probably not beating the fight on time even with a MH:W style box. Yes it takes time to build up but you could grab resources on your way relatively easy.

The real impact of being able to use the box at camp is not having to reload a quest because you forgot to bring all your items, more than being able to cheese with bulk potions. The effect on the scrounge loop is negligible.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Bring 10 potions, 10 Mega 10 herbs, 10 of the item you mix herbs with I forgot about 10 honey. Scrounge for more. If you need more than 30-40 potions you're probably not beating the fight on time even with a MH:W style box. Yes it takes time to build up but you could grab resources on your way relatively easy.

The real impact of being able to use the box at camp is not having to reload a quest because you forgot to bring all your items, more than being able to cheese with bulk potions. The effect on the scrounge loop is negligible.
Well, yeah, that's prep for hunts, it's fair-game at the sacrifice of item slots. I know you're trying to say there are ample amounts of supplies one may have at any moment but that is still attrition - it's still finite within a reasonable quantity (What I mean is that i understand filling your storage box with 999,999 mega potions is still finite, just not reasonably so). You can still run out of them, and many players have and do. I agree on resupplying being a good addition, I am just saying that if you do run out of potions in World you make no loss just warping back to base and restocking fully - even combines pre-World can't do that, no matter what you bring, pick up.

And that's ok - it's genuinely ok, it's not a slight against the new mechanics or the games - to have the series shift from being attrition-based mechanically to optionally attrition-based. There's no problem with that, as long as the game does not expect you to zorp back and resupply.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm still pretty sure it's less a "respect" thing and more that it saves art resources.

For sure
This is a series that has resued assets more than any other. That wasn't gonna change with the change to HD. It's disappointing but it is what it is.
At least non-World monsters will have great weapon designs.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Village = Singleplayer, Cutscenes, Story; Hub = Multiplayer, used to be scaled for 2-2.5 hunters but now scales between ?-4 hunters (2-4 or 1-4, unknown).

Seperate progress, is all. World combined them and for its plusses also came with the minuses of the extremely awkward cutscene situation in multiplayer. I'm glad that's entirely gone because it basically destroyed my co-op group into quitting the game.
I hope Hub will scale to 1 player. Just finished GU G rank solo and some of those missions took me so long. Felt more of a slog than an actual challenge.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I hope Hub will scale to 1 player. Just finished GU G rank solo and some of those missions took me so long. Felt more of a slog than an actual challenge.
Yeah, I had that too. I'm not the fastest hunter but timed out on several end-of-G-rank online quests not through difficulty vs things that could kill me in two hits, but just through not being able to get enough raw damage on them with my lance, especially the faster ones with fewer attack windows.

After a decade and five games I do get that high level MH is aggression + optimising your evasion/defence to put yourself back in place for aggression, rather than defensive play, and I was countering like a champ, but the sheer HP being the problem rather than the actual beast was annoying after 50 minutes of being face-to-face with it, it's not like I was sitting on my arse in the camp :D

Last edited:

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
I loooooove the sounds and growls Aknosom is making. Reminds me of raptors in Jurassic Park.

Can't wait to hunt this birdie 1000000 times for all the gear, despite the news that the gear takes less loot to craft.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So it seems like the Rathian Bow is pre-world.

So you are saying there is chance we will get the pre-world monster weapon designs instead of World. Maybe there was a translation error in IGN's Rise interview?
I've been assuming it meant "Monsters introduced in Monster Hunter World" but maybe its meant as written and they just made some exceptions

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I had that too. I'm not the fastest hunter but timed out on several end-of-G-rank online quests not through difficulty vs things that could kill me in two hits, but just through not being able to get enough raw damage on them with my lance, especially the faster ones with fewer attack windows.

After a decade and five games I do get that high level MH is aggression + optimising your evasion/defence to put yourself back in place for aggression, rather than defensive play, and I was countering like a champ, but the sheer HP being the problem rather than the actual beast was annoying after 50 minutes of being face-to-face with it, it's not like I was sitting on my arse in the camp :D

I feel this has always been my issue with G rank solo. I normally am not in danger of dying more than not being able to tack on the raw damage. But normally that highlights that I just didnt know the monster well enough to up my damage. If I started being more aggressive I was just dying more. By the time I stopped playing GU the main things I couldn't beat were elder dragons and deviants. And stuff like Crimson Fatalis I was pretty close on.

I ended up stopping just due to burnout but I wont mind online monsters scaling HP down more.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel this has always been my issue with G rank solo. I normally am not in danger of dying more than not being able to tack on the raw damage. But normally that highlights that I just didnt know the monster well enough to up my damage. If I started being more aggressive I was just dying more. By the time I stopped playing GU the main things I couldn't beat were elder dragons and deviants. And stuff like Crimson Fatalis I was pretty close on.

I ended up stopping just due to burnout but I wont mind online monsters scaling HP down more.
Yeah. Full teams of high rank hunters absolutely murder anything but end game G-rank stuff anyway

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That sounds worrisome. Upgrading weapons in World was already a breeze. I don't see how it could be made much easier without practically guaranteeing that you'll have everything you'll need (outside of stuff like gems) in a single hunt.
Maybe they're going to get rid of the "need two of a mat that you only get from breaking a super hard part to break" requirement that a lot of the good weapons had. That was kind of annoying, it didn't stop me but I can see how more casual players may have just called it quits early.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I dont appreciate the changes to streamlining the reversal, lrep and hunting aspects, however I do like the changes to upgrading.

I personally always felt like the excessive upgrade commitment requirements discouraged people from changing from their main weapons past a certain point.

It often felt like when I did experiment with other weapons, it was a waste not to use those materials on my main weapon instead.

And some of the stuff you had to do for those materials were kind of bullsh*t. You can kill a monster the right way and rng screws you over from getting the piece you need.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I've been assuming it meant "Monsters introduced in Monster Hunter World" but maybe its meant as written and they just made some exceptions

It's pretty much been ambiguous since interviews started back in October, so that's why it just gets more curious the more details come out.

Like you, I'm thinking it's just going to be the World freshmen that are going to be out of luck with metal/bone designs, while veterans like the Raths and other flagships will get their shit back proper. If so, that would bode well for the likes of Brachy and Glave, for whom practically everyone (and rightfully so!) raised a huge fit over having their weapon designs ruined.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
So this is only about weapon design, not armour design? Armours are still based on older gen designs?

If other interview quotes are anything to go by, monsters who have updated designs in World are just going to be using the World designs (albeit with some mods, since there's no Slinger).

And even when it comes to weapons, it's not 100% clear, as seen above with the Rathian bow.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
If other interview quotes are anything to go by, monsters who have updated designs in World are just going to be using the World designs (albeit with some mods, since there's no Slinger).

And even when it comes to weapons, it's not 100% clear, as seen above with the Rathian bow.
Thanks, so it remains to be seen. I guess most World designs will return with probably some exceptions.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Finally remember to play this last weekend. Hadn't touched any MH games since MHW in spring 2018. Spent around 150 hours in that and put it down after finishing up the armor set from the last dragon (Xenojiva or whatever) and never got around to Iceborne as I'd sold my disc copy off before it's was announced and was still pretty burnt out on the game at that point so didn't feel like rebuying. MHW was the first game in the series I enjoyed, with my previous exposure was failing int MH4U and Generations on 3DS. Dropped both after 20 some hours.

On to the demo, I was quite impressed with how it looked. They did a good job with an art style that looks nice on Switch. I wasn't bothered by frame drops that I saw some mention. I'm not terribly picky about frame rates or drops unless they are really bad though. I did the two tutorial missions, beat the beginner hunt with no issues and failed the intermediate one a few times. Also failed randomly fighting the Rathalos once, though I got it weakened to the point of going ot its nest to rest. I used long sword at that's what I used in MHW.

Rather than keep playing the demo and beating my head on the wall in that fight, I remembered MHW was in the PS+ collection on PS5 so I fired that up and was impressed with how it ran on PS5. Saw the Iceborne DLC was on sale for $19.xx so I grabbed that. My patience for hard games has waned a lot since the time it was out (fell off Demon's Souls quickly, despite having the platinum in Bloodborne, beating all bosses in Dark Souls 3 etc.). So figured that was a less costly option to see if I can get back into MH and I prefer World and it's art style/graphics to Rise.

If I'm wanting more MH when I finish (or hit a late/eng game wall) in Iceborne I'll consider picking up Rise, but I imagine that will scratch my itch and I'll hold off for a MHW sequel.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I decided to go back and play some more World until Rise releases. Getting around without a Palamute already feels like such a slog in comparison. March can't come soon enough.

Btw, when is the second Demo supposed to release? February or March as well?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else kinda wish that palamute was only there for transport and went away once you jumped off it? It gets really crowded in 4 player hunts with 4 palamutes around too.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
15-25 mins what it will take the vast majority of people I imagine. There are people killing the demo monsters in 6 minutes. I am not even struggling and it still takes me like 20 lol.
It's mainly due to the fact that once you're used to soloing G rank hub quests in past games that level of aggression and precision becomes your basic play style.
Anyone else kinda wish that palamute was only there for transport and went away once you jumped off it? It gets really crowded in 4 player hunts with 4 palamutes around too.
I'm hoping there's an option for that. I dislike hunting with AI companions and but don't want to give up the faster movement between zones.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland

The real dream is being able to choose what stuff's scaled for while solo <3

We're 100% not getting that but it's the dream...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I just ask that there's nothing as insane as Hyper Seltas Queen's HP count, ever again.

She's one of my fave all-time monsters, but DAMN.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I really hope Hub-only G-Rank won't be a thing again,
Def will be but it'll scale so it's not a big deal at all for sure. When Grank comes ofc.
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get this. Hopefully will be like MHW where you can call it, ride on it, then it goes away after you get off.
So far we have absolutely no indication of this being a thing. Palamutes are usable, you can set them to wait, but that's it.

Math puts Wirebug movement at 33% slower than drifting, equal speed to not-drifting. It's perfectly fast.

Last edited:

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Def will be but it'll scale so it's not a big deal at all for sure. When Grank comes ofc.

So far we have absolutely no indication of this being a thing. Palamutes are usable, you can set them to wait, but that's it.

Math puts Wirebug movement at 33% slower than drifting, equal speed to not-drifting. It's perfectly fast.

That just means that it takes MORE effort (not that the wirebug is difficult, but it is a lot more button inputs compared to riding a Palamute) just to move more slowly while also not being able to sharpen, buff etc on the go. If you include those last things it will come out to much more than just 33% slower. Rather large disadvantage there. More work for less benefits doesn't sit right for me. Hopefully they just let us call them and problem solved.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
That just means that it takes MORE effort (not that the wirebug is difficult, but it is a lot more button inputs compared to riding a Palamute) just to move more slowly while also not being able to sharpen, buff etc on the go. If you include those last things it will come out to much more than just 33% slower. Rather large disadvantage there. More work for less benefits doesn't sit right for me. Hopefully they just let us call them and problem solved.
Eh, it's tradeoffs, the devs in the IGN interview does say that too so it's as close to official as possible. Palamute for ease of use (Even outside of the basic functions, limited customization focused on simple offense support), consistent top speed, at cost of endemic life buffs due to the majority being in wirebug-reliant areas. Palico for utility and Versatility (Far more customization and utility options), endemic life buffs due to the fastest non-palamute routes being wirebug-reliant & overflowing with buffs, at cost of consistent speed and ease of use.

It's all preference - if you wanna rock Palamutes cus you feel forced to, do it. If you don't, don't. Plenty of peeps don't use companions at all anyway. Use one, use two, use none, use one of each, use two of the same, it all works consistently.

Personally doggos are just great but movement is completely bland and uninteresting so my interest pales in comparison to wirebuggin' all over. Double Palico here I come!

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's tradeoffs, the devs in the IGN interview does say that too so it's as close to official as possible. Palamute for ease of use (Even outside of the basic functions, limited customization focused on simple offense support), consistent top speed, at cost of endemic life buffs due to the majority being in wirebug-reliant areas. Palico for utility and Versatility (Far more customization and utility options), endemic life buffs due to the fastest non-palamute routes being wirebug-reliant & overflowing with buffs, at cost of consistent speed and ease of use.

It's all preference - if you wanna rock Palamutes cus you feel forced to, do it. If you don't, don't. Plenty of peeps don't use companions at all anyway. Use one, use two, use none, use one of each, use two of the same, it all works consistently.

Personally doggos are just great but movement is completely bland and uninteresting so my interest pales in comparison to wirebuggin' all over. Double Palico here I come!

I'll just agree to disagree. It just doesn't feel like a fair tradeoff to me. If it's pretty much official then I'll just have to live with it I guess. I don't expect them to nail everything in this game and that's fine.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's really not much of a tradeoff as I imagine the majority of players will completely ignore endemic life once they reach the endgame.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to spend some more time with the Charge Blade. It went from being my favorite weapon in Gen/4U to me not even wanting to use it in World/IB. I have like 600 hours between Gen/4U. CB is the World style in Rise and I don't like it!

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
That's really not much of a tradeoff as I imagine the majority of players will completely ignore endemic life once they reach the endgame.
That's def a valid concern. We'll see for sure, does seem likely that'll be the case. Which isn't inherently bad, maybe? Better than makin' peeps chase birds every quest even at end-game, ironically.
I'll just agree to disagree. It just doesn't feel like a fair tradeoff to me. If it's pretty much official then I'll just have to live with it I guess. I don't expect them to nail everything in this game and that's fine.
Totally fair! I do agree the ideal thing would be calling Palamutes even when *not* chosen as your companions though <3

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
So we already had people hating on Rise because it's Switch exclusive, the graphics, and just overall calling it a "downgrade" from World for good measure, now due to these more streamlined changes other fans are also condemning the game.
Thankfully these are vocal minorities but I do worry aswell and hope the game hits the right balance between more streamline and difficulty. Ironically I know some people who didn't like the changes and difficulty in World feel fine or neutral on some of the changes in Rise, mainly the removal of the temp. drinks, and are also a bit confident that the difficulty will be fine, so long as it's like the old way due to the separation of village and hub again.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
So we already had people hating on Rise because it's Switch exclusive, the graphics, and just overall calling it a "downgrade" from World for good measure, now due to these more streamlined changes other fans are also condemning the game.
Thankfully these are vocal minorities but I do worry aswell and hope the game hits the right balance between more streamline and difficulty. Ironically I know some people who didn't like the changes and difficulty in World feel fine or neutral on some of the changes in Rise, mainly the removal of the temp. drinks, and are also a bit confident that the difficulty will be fine, so long as it's like the old way due to the separation of village and hub again.
I wouldn't worry, for two main reasons:

1) Before World, Portable 3rd was the best selling game in the series, and it did that just in Japan. It also was pretty easy, all things considered, but still was looked back on fondly by many.

2) X/Gen also introduced a number of changes that some didn't like, and thought would make the game too easy. It and its upgrade are now regarded as great games that are content-rich, and introduced more fun ideas than it did downgrades.

And like in those two examples, Rise is another game from Ichinose and the Portable team. They have long since proven they know their shit when it comes to making these games, so I largely trust them unconditionally.