• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm curious how they would do Valstrax. I believe when it goes into jet form, it leaves the arena/disappears and you get a separate sky texture moving. I wonder if they'll do that again or keep the actual model visible.
Just given the map we have now, I don't think they could do Valstrax without making him smaller or vastly changing his moves. He either showed up in dedicated arenas or maps with giant open areas because he flew all over the place, including his signature plane crash. Not sure how the crash would work with all the verticality, or his 360 wing spin, or his area-wide charge.

That being said, I would LOOOOOVE Valstrax and Ahtal Ka from GU to return. Some of my favorite monsters in the series. Ka makes total sense too with the wirebug stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Just given the map we have now, I don't think they could do Valstrax without making him smaller or vastly changing his moves. He either showed up in dedicated arenas or maps with giant open areas because he flew all over the place, including his signature plane crash. Not sure how the crash would work with all the verticality, or his 360 wing spin, or his area-wide charge.

That being said, I would LOOOOOVE Valstrax and Ahtal Ka from GU to return. Some of my favorite monsters in the series. Ka makes total sense too with the wirebug stuff.
You said it right there- he'll probably be in a quest with a dedicated arena like the Fatalis one in MHW

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
So I just started to try out hammers since everyone always talks so highly of them, and now...I like them. Goddamn it there are too many weapons I want to use in Rise. Hunting Horn, Gunlance, Light Bow Gun, Bow, Sword and Shield, and now hammer.
I'm legit in love with Mizutsune. One of the most beautiful creature designs I've ever seen. Is it a new monster?
You should see its armor.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I can only imagine what kinda wild shit you can get into with wyvern riding Valstrax.

Though that does beg the questions, will they even let us do that with Elder Dragons?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Not gonna be surprised if we get a special arena for monsters like Valtrax if it were to happen.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

Nice. I was raging against the armor designs earlier (and, well, everything) because I was seeing red due to my struggles learning the game. But now that it's clicked, I quite like the look of things, armor included.

I'm glad you guys were patient with me and helped me learn. I love some weird-controlling games (Star Fox Zero is my favorite Star Fox, for example, and I relish teaching people how to properly play RE6), so it was poor form for me to be grumpy figuring out the item bar in MonHun, lol.

Glad I stuck with it, and I'm looking forward to the full game. That umbrella bird monster looks rad. :-o

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm glad you guys were patient with me and helped me learn. I love some weird-controlling games (Star Fox Zero is my favorite Star Fox, for example, and I relish teaching people how to properly play RE6), so it was poor form for me to be grumpy figuring out the item bar in MonHun, lol.
Don't worry about it! I talked about this a while ago, probably before you started engaging in the thread, that I think the Monster Hunter community is generally really patient when it comes to newcomers and a willingness to teach because the game is so mechanically-overwhelming and so poor at teaching that damn near everyone who touches the series for the first time goes through a similar sort of "what the hell is all this?" experience. There was already a lot to take in in the older games (I got my start with Tri, for example), but by now the new games keep adding new mechanics, both globally as well as new moves for all the weapons, so it's hard to even imagine how it would feel to be someone going into Rise completely new and trying to wrap my head around all the wirebug stuff without having a knowledge-base already built from everything else beforehand.

Stuff like showing you how to grill steaks to stave off the shrinking stamina cap, how to combine items and craft, and a few combat basics against small monsters are all things that usually get taught more directly in the full game, but even so it's always felt to me like a series that you kinda have to invest yourself into, mentally, in order to reap rewards, rather than expecting ingame tutorials to concisely spell everything out. It's an upfront annoyance that fades once you internalize the basics, and then you can dig into the real joy lurking in the combat system. At the least I would recommend for pretty much everyone to take a bit of time and actually go through the different ingame options, as a lot of things can be tweaked and the defaults aren't always necessarily the most convenient or intuitive picks.

Seeing some of the new amenities they're adding to the training area this time around, I'm going to be curious to see if they do a more thorough job when it comes to teaching weapon controls and attacks. The stuff in the hunter's notes is a good start, but to say they're incomplete as a full tutorial is definitely an understatement.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So I just started to try out hammers since everyone always talks so highly of them, and now...I like them. Goddamn it there are too many weapons I want to use in Rise. Hunting Horn, Gunlance, Light Bow Gun, Bow, Sword and Shield, and now hammer.

Oh my that's some really good armor, I never got the set in GU

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving Hammer in Rise, didn't try it in World but it's just so nice nowadays. Feels amazing.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Nice. I was raging against the armor designs earlier (and, well, everything) because I was seeing red due to my struggles learning the game. But now that it's clicked, I quite like the look of things, armor included.

Glad I stuck with it, and I'm looking forward to the full game. That umbrella bird monster looks rad. :-o
It's our pleasure!

I've been done with the demo for about a week now myself, but i still lurk around some sites (and this thread too) to drop off tips for new players. It's just fun for me :P

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on Mizutsune because I can't stop nerding out over this gorgeous monster, and I see it's known as the "Bubble Fox Leviathan." I love this -- how do I stuff this thing in a pokeball so I can raise it in Pokémon??

Most excited to fight Aknosom next. Another incredible design. :-o

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading up on Mizutsune because I can't stop nerding out over this gorgeous monster, and I see it's known as the "Bubble Fox Leviathan." I love this -- how do I stuff this thing in a pokeball so I can raise it in Pokémon??

Most excited to fight Aknosom next. Another incredible design. :-o

Be sure to get MHS2 on summer as well. :)

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
So I just did the two hunts with my 2 main weapons, is this everything there is to do ?

Oh and there's no more axe buff for the charge blade ?

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to aim the insect glaive with the L- trigger like in world? Using the R trigger to do it feels clunky and hurts my hand every time i do it

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Is there any way to aim the insect glaive with the L- trigger like in world? Using the R trigger to do it feels clunky and hurts my hand every time i do it
Doesn't look like it, makes sense as Slinger has been replaced but unlike slinger can be used in combat. Fiddle with options and see how it works, I like right-bumper myself.
So I just did the two hunts with my 2 main weapons, is this everything there is to do ?

Oh and there's no more axe buff for the charge blade ?
It's up to you to do as much as you want w/ the demo; if 1 quest each with your 2 mains is what you want to do, then you're done yeah. For now there are 2 quests, Magnamalo is likely coming later next month or early March (?). CB Spoiler:
From Datamines, it's back, but you choose it or charging the sword - either or.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been really enjoying this using my new split pad pro from Hori. Makes playing in portable mode if you're at home about a thousand times more comfortable. Well worth the $50.
Did you try using gyro in the demo in handheld mode? I am aware the Hori split pad pro don't have any gyro, but afaik the Switch body itself also has its own gyro mechanism, so I was wondering if you could still get gyro to work in the demo despite the split pad pro not supporting it (?)

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Did you try using gyro in the demo in handheld mode? I am aware the Hori split pad pro don't have any gyro, but afaik the Switch body itself also has its own gyro mechanism, so I was wondering if you could still get gyro to work in the demo despite the split pad pro not supporting it (?)

I think Nintendo has to do an update to make it work I think. Gyro never works with Hori split pad pro.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the gyro mechanism in the Switch body (as opposed to the gyros inside the joycons) is never active/used in any game?
From my experience yes. Botw, MHRise, Splatoon 2 and Astral Chain gyro in the Switch body never worked with Hori split pad pro. However, if you remove them, it works immediately.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Apparently Math's been done and Axe Mode is actually worse off than before for Switch Axe? Wild Swings are apparently slower than before, which sucks. There are plenty of strong Axe moves but they're just weaker than Sword Mode it seems? We'll see, I tbh don't care for a small DPS difference or anything but still would like Wild Swing to at least have some sort of buff compared to before. Weaker finishers on all-ends, stamina-cost, etc. It's unfortunate, but not the worst.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Math's been done and Axe Mode is actually worse off than before for Switch Axe? Wild Swings are apparently slower than before, which sucks. There are plenty of strong Axe moves but they're just weaker than Sword Mode it seems? We'll see, I tbh don't care for a small DPS difference or anything but still would like Wild Swing to at least have some sort of buff compared to before. Weaker finishers on all-ends, stamina-cost, etc. It's unfortunate, but not the worst.

I had a feeling that would happen. Which is too bad, Axe finally being a thing in World was great. As long as it's not a major difference it doesn't matter, though. Not like I care about maximum min maxing.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO switch axe was fucking crazy good in world and everyone was sleeping on it. If it's slightly worse now I don't mind because it still feels really good. especially with silkbinds

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Is the SA's axe form being able to get the burst explosions when fully ramped up a new thing? I feel like I don't remember that in World but I only used it like 20 times

Oct 26, 2017
Was the whole 'missed inputs' thing ever shown to be true? All I saw when people were first talking about it were videos from people who didn't know how bubble blight works.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Finally gave lance a fair shake and gotta say I really love it. Great weapon for keeping constant pressure. Still think Ill run hammer through the game but throw in lance on the side. Want to try and master something new outside of the SnS

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
IMO switch axe was fucking crazy good in world and everyone was sleeping on it. If it's slightly worse now I don't mind because it still feels really good. especially with silkbinds
I had a feeling that would happen. Which is too bad, Axe finally being a thing in World was great. As long as it's not a major difference it doesn't matter, though. Not like I care about maximum min maxing.
Yeah I don't care for the min-maxing, weapon feels amazing, but yeah got some big hits from World. No partbreaker-component bonuses, the Wild Swing vertical finisher does like, 25% less damage, no bonuses after a few wild-swings (in any aspect, damage, speed, or partbreaker), the roundslash-finisher has more balanced across all 3 hits but an overall total nerf of nearly 25% also. Granted it also got some GREAT buffs, like the basic chop being ~10% stronger, Fade Slash (10/10 move) nearly 20%. That's overall the summarization. We'll see how things go though. Wish Tempest-axe's speedup for Wild-swings returned D=
Was the whole 'missed inputs' thing ever shown to be true? All I saw when people were first talking about it were videos from people who didn't know how bubble blight works.
I'm pretty certain there is to soooome degree, an issue, but not sure how much. I think faster/charge weapons have it most noticeable - could be buffering related though? Enough peeps have reported it though, I guess?

Dec 2, 2020

I'm almost certain gyro is handled by tech in the joycons and pro controller. The HORI split pro controllers are basic shells with high quality analogue sticks and face buttons. You can't turn the Switch on with the home button on the split pro controller as they draw no power (and don't need to be charged). You have to hit the power button on the top of the actual console to wake the console up. You can put it to sleep with the controller though.

I've never used Gyro much tbh but I understand the appeal. I've never found Switch or Switch Lite very comfortable in handheld mode but this Split controller is phenomenal. So glad I took the chance on it!

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Man I tried beating Mizutsune twice and failed. I kept hitting the monster and healing when necessary but it never seemed to slow down one bit :(. I was using the long sword. I'm a total MH noob in case folks are wondering.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Man I tried beating Mizutsune twice and failed. I kept hitting the monster and healing when necessary but it never seemed to slow down one bit :(. I was using the long sword. I'm a total MH noob in case folks are wondering.

Try using a different weapon like Dual Blades or sword and shield since they are quicker and easier to use. I always felt like long sword is pretty hard to effectively use as a newbie considering there are lots of technical aspects to the weapon when it comes to counters. As for Mizu you have to be a bit patient with the monster since it's really mobile and use your wirebug a lot especially during moments where it shoots out a water beam.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I have now tried each of the 14 weapons. Beat Mizutsune with both the Great Sword and the Sword & Shield; almost beat him a third time, with the Light Bowgun.

The bow and bowguns are loads of fun -- aiming, shooting and reloading has great feedback, and there are so many types of ammo and coating to try out.

I wonder if our demo settings (i.e. custom controls) will carry over to the full game. I also wonder if the digital deluxe kit can be bought separately after launch.

I would also like to know how the full game will be structured in terms of quests, etc, and also how many boss monsters you think there will be (the kind we hunt down in quests).

Excited for this now!

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan

Have you tried fighting the Rathian and Arzuros already? It might be a good idea to try taking them on first (they're both harder fights than the Great Izuchi).
Longsword used to always be touted as the best beginner weapon, but MHW turned it into a really counter heavy weapon.

I think a more straightforward one like the Hammer might be a better easier to get your bearings with. If you get the hang of landing charged hits on his head and rolling to safety, you'd get enough KOs from the all the stun damage to net you plenty of downs, I reckon.

Oct 26, 2017
I would also like to know how the full game will be structured in terms of quests, etc, and also how many boss monsters you think there will be (the kind we hunt down in quests).

Excited for this now!

So typically you have a hub where you organise/buy/sell your items, have gear crafted from materials you've gathered both from the environments and the monsters you've killed, eat food for temporary buffs and so on. You accept quests from a list of available ones at a kind of guild, at first they'll be really simple things like kill a few of the boars you've probably seen roaming around or gather a few plants and make some health potions, but soon enough they almost exclusively become hunting the bigger monsters like the ones in the demo (and usually a few of them will be much, much larger). When you leave on a quest you'll appear in one of the game's maps (usually there's around 5 large maps, some arenas and a few smaller maps for fighting very specific monsters) and it'll be pretty much the same as the demo - find the monster and kill or capture it. Often there are optional secondary objectives like kill ten of the smaller monsters accompanying the main one or bring a specific item back to camp or break a specific part of the monster, and you'll get more rewards for completing these. Sometimes you'll get quests to hunt multiple monsters. I think most people are expecting around 25-30 large monsters in the game, with the possibility of more being added as DLC later.

Your main reason for progressing is usually to make new armour and weapons with new elemental resistances, different abilities, and strengthening/upgrading them. You do this by using materials you gather primarily from killed/captured monsters - some materials you pick up off the floor during fights when you break part of the monster, some you get from carving the monster when you kill it, some you get as a reward at the end of the quest (and you get an increased number of you capture rather than kill, but then you don't get to carve). You then use this new and improved armour and weaponry to take on even stronger monsters. Some rare materials will need a few kills of the same monster for you to be lucky enough to see one, or require that you break a certain part of a monster during the hunt for it to have a chance to appear.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan

The base game for MHW had 31 large monsters at launch, with another 5(?) added in free post-launch updates.
Iceborne roughly doubled that, bringing the total roster count up to 71

Rise, on the other hand, has 24 large monsters confirmed so far, with 2 more locales still to be revealed.
They don't typically show every monster in pre-release promotional material either, so it'll probably have a larger roster than base MHW from the start.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So typically you have a hub where you organise/buy/sell your items, have gear crafted from materials you've gathered both from the environments and the monsters you've killed, eat food for temporary buffs and so on. You accept quests from a list of available ones at a kind of guild, at first they'll be really simple things like kill a few of the boars you've probably seen roaming around or gather a few plants and make some health potions, but soon enough they almost exclusively become hunting the bigger monsters like the ones in the demo (and usually a few of them will be much, much larger). When you leave on a quest you'll appear in one of the game's maps (usually there's around 5 large maps, some arenas and a few smaller maps for fighting very specific monsters) and it'll be pretty much the same as the demo - find the monster and kill or capture it. Often there are optional secondary objectives like kill ten of the smaller monsters accompanying the main one or bring a specific item back to camp or break a specific part of the monster, and you'll get more rewards for completing these. Sometimes you'll get quests to hunt multiple monsters. I think most people are expecting around 25-30 large monsters in the game, with the possibility of more being added as DLC later.

Your main reason for progressing is usually to make new armour and weapons with new elemental resistances, different abilities, and strengthening/upgrading them. You do this by using materials you gather primarily from killed/captured monsters - some materials you pick up off the floor during fights when you break part of the monster, some you get from carving the monster when you kill it, some you get as a reward at the end of the quest (and you get an increased number of you capture rather than kill, but then you don't get to carve). You then use this new and improved armour and weaponry to take on even stronger monsters. Some rare materials will need a few kills of the same monster for you to be lucky enough to see one, or require that you break a certain part of a monster during the hunt for it to have a chance to appear.

Hope that helps!
The base game for MHW had 31 large monsters at launch, with another 5(?) added in free post-launch updates.
Iceborne roughly doubled that, bringing the total roster count up to 71

Rise, on the other hand, has 24 large monsters confirmed so far, with 2 more locales still to be revealed.
They don't typically show every monster in pre-release promotional material either, so it'll probably have a larger roster than base MHW from the start.
Awesome, thanks for the insights!