• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to enjoy this now. I broke multiple parts on Mizutsune. I kept knocking it over by charging the Great Sword with X and smacking it in the head. Then dodge-roll to the side, quickly sheath and drink a potion while running like a goof around the pond.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
I'm starting to enjoy this now. I broke multiple parts on Mizutsune. I kept knocking it over by charging the Great Sword with X and smacking it in the head. Then dodge-roll to the side, quickly sheath and drink a potion while running like a goof around the pond.

Sounds like you've got the basics down actually!

Just an added tip: If you do enough damage to his tail, you can cut it off. It's a free stagger + decreases some of his attacks' range for the remainder of the fight.

Last edited:

Niroloc

May 25, 2020
This is gonna be my first Monster hunter. I love good mobility in games and after seeing the wire bug in the first trailer it got my attention. Played the demo a ton since it dropped and at the start it was a bit overwhelming with all the weapons and how differently they all play as well as having a timer adding to the pressure. After playing it for awhile and getting used to sheathing and unsheathing as well as trying out all the different weapons and learning how the monsters move and attack I'm absolutely loving it. Weirdly I've been enjoying the Great sword the most, which is strange because I usually avoid slow weapons in games. To me it feels like trying to land a falcon Punch in smash bros, hard to do but satisfying when it happens.

Im real curious about the rest of the game though. What it's gonna be like using the hub and preparing for hunts as well as making weapons and armour.

One think I hope they change from the demo is that when a monster is in a wyvern riding state that you can just keep attacking rather than getting on it. I like the wyvern riding just sometimes I would prefer to keep attacking the monster.

Really looking forward to the full games release.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is gonna be my first Monster hunter. I love good mobility in games and after seeing the wire bug in the first trailer it got my attention. Played the demo a ton since it dropped and at the start it was a bit overwhelming with all the weapons and how differently they all play as well as having a timer adding to the pressure. After playing it for awhile and getting used to sheathing and unsheathing as well as trying out all the different weapons and learning how the monsters move and attack I'm absolutely loving it. Weirdly I've been enjoying the Great sword the most, which is strange because I usually avoid slow weapons in games. To me it feels like trying to land a falcon Punch in smash bros, hard to do but satisfying when it happens.

Im real curious about the rest of the game though. What it's gonna be like using the hub and preparing for hunts as well as making weapons and armour.

One think I hope they change from the demo is that when a monster is in a wyvern riding state that you can just keep attacking rather than getting on it. I like the wyvern riding just sometimes I would prefer to keep attacking the monster.

Really looking forward to the full games release.
What I do most of the time is immediately keep launching the monster into a cliff until I automatically jump off. Does a ton of damage and stuns it for ages

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Though changing the mounting during a turf war from simply a button press to a combination of ZR + button shouldn't be an issue. It would fit to keep everything Wirebug-related on that ZR + button template.

Last edited:

Niroloc

May 25, 2020
What I do most of the time is immediately keep launching the monster into a cliff until I automatically jump off. Does a ton of damage and stuns it for ages

yeah I think I just need to get used to doing that.

One thing I'm curious about is series veterans thoughts on the palamute? Getting around is so much faster with them. Do any of you think it would be tough to go back to the games with out them? Will they be a series stable going forward?

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
yeah I think I just need to get used to doing that.

One thing I'm curious about is series veterans thoughts on the palamute? Getting around is so much faster with them. Do any of you think it would be tough to go back to the games with out them? Will they be a series stable going forward?

I think they're great! If you're asking me if I couldn't go back to World though, I definitely still could. World was the first game that introduced multiple unlockable campsites for each locale that you could fast travel to/from. The map in the Rise demo only has the starter one unlocked, but I could see fast travel between the other campsites making up for the lost time pretty easily.

That being said, I'm pretty confident in the palamutes being a series staple from now on. I read that the devs have wanted to implement hunting hounds for a really long time coming now.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved my time with the demo but im moving on

The downside of these demos is since they dont do save carry demos the actual addictive loop of the game isn't present for me so I am beyond happy to move back to my backlog until release

I hope you all had as much fun as I did! Very much looking forward to it!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to ride them without actually bringing one with you on a hunt. I dislike hunting with the AI companions but the speed boost from the palamutes when it comes to traversing the map is too good to give up.

If they keep the open maps going forward then they need to keep the palamutes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There is something so cool about being in pursuit of a monster as cavalry, sharpening your weapon as you do so. That sense of 'not a second to lose!'. Which is great for slow-ass hunters like me :D

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Palamutes are a solution to increased travel times introduced by having corridors between combat areas. Veteran solution: Ditch the dogs, go back to seperated zones.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're great! If you're asking me if I couldn't go back to World though, I definitely still could. World was the first game that introduced multiple unlockable campsites for each locale that you could fast travel to/from. The map in the Rise demo only has the starter one unlocked, but I could see fast travel between the other campsites making up for the lost time pretty easily.

That being said, I'm pretty confident in the palamutes being a series staple from now on. I read that the devs have wanted to implement hunting hounds for a really long time coming now.
Id say honestly tho for multiplayer hunts you basically have to carry a palimute if you wanna keep up i think

takeablake

May 21, 2018
Absolutely loved my time with the demo but im moving on

The downside of these demos is since they dont do save carry demos the actual addictive loop of the game isn't present for me so I am beyond happy to move back to my backlog until release

I hope you all had as much fun as I did! Very much looking forward to it!
Yep, funny how there was just a different gameplay loop. I enjoyed trying all the weapons and getting better at the ones I'm most interested in—I've done probably 40 hunts, which is more than I thought I would do. Having a sandbox to do it in rather than feel like I have to constantly progress in the quests is a nice change of pace, even if I realize that's a self-inflicted one. But it's probably time to put the brakes on it for me, too.

There is something so cool about being in pursuit of a monster as cavalry, sharpening your weapon as you do so. That sense of 'not a second to lose!'. Which is great for slow-ass hunters like me :D
I've felt the same. Hits a nice sweet spot between having a slight break and continuing the hunt.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Mizutsune. I take back all my whining, that was amazing. Now I will try a weapon other than the Great Sword.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I know about the radial but my steaks weren't on it. I couldn't figure out how to assign items to it. Still don't know. I changed things so that I click R to select radial items, which at least reduces accidental use.

My hunt ran out of time. I got the leader of the raptor monsters to stagger away wounded.
No worries, the demos are genuinely obtuse almost intentionally - they're really meant to be Sandbox's for returning players, this is actually the first demo I can recall to even have any degree of tutorial, lol. You did fine too! Greatsword is notoriously hard versus small fast mons, and it's not very new-player friendly with its slow movement and reliance on precision. I love SnS, it's sleek, fluid, fast, and fun. I recommend it but it's also got a seriously large amount of depth to it, which could be overwhelming. <3

EDIT:
Just beat Mizutsune. I take back all my whining, that was amazing. Now I will try a weapon other than the Great Sword.
Huzzah!
I wish there was a way to ride them without actually bringing one with you on a hunt. I dislike hunting with the AI companions but the speed boost from the palamutes when it comes to traversing the map is too good to give up.

If they keep the open maps going forward then they need to keep the palamutes.
Honestly, just wire-bugging is pretty fast. 10 or so seconds behind at most, I really hope someone does a comparison between the two; you're certainly slower but you get access to special and more direct routes, along with verticality also increasing how far you travel. I use Palico-only, never riding doggo, it's great and I'm never *that* slow.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019

Congrats! Beating Mizutsune with a Great Sword is one hell of an initiation. All the new players seem to gravitate to other weapons these days, those of us that took a GS to their first hunts are a rare breed :)
You can put up a fight against anything the full game can throw at you, now.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I must admit, reading your posts was quite the rollercoaster lol

Glad you are enjoying it now! FYI the Great Sword is the slowest weapon in the game IMO (not sure if it actually is)
and if you are looking for a faster one, sword and shield is the fastest, but don't sleep on Hammer either. At first Hammer will
seem quite slow, but after a while of getting used to it (and maybe a tutorial video lol) it is just insanely fun. You are flipping and jumping everywhere and
smacking giant monsters in the head until you knock them out, and then running up and smacking them in the head some more lol

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I must admit, reading your posts was quite the rollercoaster lol

Glad you are enjoying it now! FYI the Great Sword is the slowest weapon in the game IMO (not sure if it actually is)
and if you are looking for a faster one, sword and shield is the fastest, but don't sleep on Hammer either. At first Hammer will
seem quite slow, but after a while of getting used to it (and maybe a tutorial video lol) it is just insanely fun. You are flipping and jumping everywhere and
smacking giant monsters in the head until you knock them out, and then running up and smacking them in the head some more lol
Yeah, my main frustration starting out was navigating the menu so that I could use items to heal and stay alive long enough to get comfortable with the combat.

Once I understood (with everyone's help here) how holding L activates the item bar and Y and A scroll left and right, and how you customize the radial through a separate menu, I was able to keep my character alive with potions, mega potions, max potions, first aid kits, etc.

The Great Sword was challenging at first, since it's slow and locks you into some long animations, but it taught me to mind my spacing and pick my shots: Dash in, unsheath, charge and hit (and maybe hit again for a combo), then roll to the side, sheath and run away while drinking a potion. At that point it's just a matter of deciding when to attack - usually after Mizutsune is done twirling around blowing soap bubbles. It was fun, him leading me to six locations, each with different terrain and wildlife. He beat me three times, but then I got him.

And now, I'm trying the Long Sword and Sword & Shield, and wow -- these are MUCH easier. But I also appreciate the high-impact blows of the Great Sword. So I'm glad I tried it first, and that I completed quests with it, although I think I would recommend people start with a faster weapon -- it may have gone more smoothly. :)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it docked on my 24 inch monitor and the UI readability is pretty much night and day. Guess I'll mostly be playing the game that way.

In general, even with monsters and stuff, this game really isn't as easily read as older games were. MHGU and the 3DS games were a bit easier to take everything in. I think part of the issue is the Mizu fight is nighttime.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit in love with Mizutsune. One of the most beautiful creature designs I've ever seen. Is it a new monster?

Oct 25, 2017
Now I will try a weapon other than the Great Sword.
but-why.gif

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, my main frustration starting out was navigating the menu so that I could use items to heal and stay alive long enough to get comfortable with the combat.

Once I understood (with everyone's help here) how holding L activates the item bar and Y and A scroll left and right, and how you customize the radial through a separate menu, I was able to keep my character alive with potions, mega potions, max potions, first aid kits, etc.

The Great Sword was challenging at first, since it's slow and locks you into some long animations, but it taught me to mind my spacing and pick my shots: Dash in, unsheath, charge and hit (and maybe hit again for a combo), then roll to the side, sheath and run away while drinking a potion. At that point it's just a matter of deciding when to attack - usually after Mizutsune is done twirling around blowing soap bubbles. It was fun, him leading me to six locations, each with different terrain and wildlife. He beat me three times, but then I got him.

And now, I'm trying the Long Sword and Sword & Shield, and wow -- these are MUCH easier. But I also appreciate the high-impact blows of the Great Sword. So I'm glad I tried it first, and that I completed quests with it, although I think I would recommend people start with a faster weapon -- it may have gone more smoothly. :)
Nice! I suggest that you go to Options > Controls and you switch the "hold L" controls to the actions menu instead and the dpad for items. That's how it works in World and is a lot more intuitive.

It even saves in the demo so you don't have to switch them every time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Khezu is just boring. It has one of the oldest, most overdone skeletons, and while it's meant to be creepy, in practice it doesn't end up being very creepy at all. The moveset it has isn't very interesting either.

Gigginox is so much better and yet here we are.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get Rajang in Rise.

Khezu is just boring. It has one of the oldest, most overdone skeletons, and while it's meant to be creepy, in practice it doesn't end up being very creepy at all. The moveset it has isn't very interesting either.

Gigginox is so much better and yet here we are.

Which is funny because Japan loves Khezu.

Niroloc

May 25, 2020

Yeah this was a similar experience to my own with the great sword. I've found using the power sheath wire bug move ZL+A after an attack really useful

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
6tim4xztmnc61.jpg

Mizutsune is pretty freaking great.

Anyway, took the plunge and bought a switch pro controller because using joy cons with drift is torturous and oh my goodness what a world of difference it makes. Using the bow feels so good now but I wish the sound when hitting the monsters with the arrows was a bit different but it's a minor issue for me.

I have no opinion on Khezu since it's brand new to me but the overwhelming negative reaction to it kind of makes me dread facing it lol.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
6tim4xztmnc61.jpg

Mizutsune is pretty freaking great.

Anyway, took the plunge and bought a switch pro controller because using joy cons with drift is torturous and oh my goodness what a world of difference it makes. Using the bow feels so good now but I wish the sound when hitting the monsters with the arrows was a bit different but it's a minor issue for me.

I have no opinion on Khezu since it's brand new to me but the overwhelming negative reaction to it kind of makes me dread facing it lol.

If it makes you feel any better it's just the west that has a negative reaction to it. Japan loves Khezu lol.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

Once you learn the monster's movements, you won't need to run away and heal ;) you can just dodge and keep on smacking.
Also I had the most fun with greatsword in this demo by sheathing a lot and using the wirebug to zip up (ZL+X) and then press B to do a flip in another direction, and then hold down ZR to charge a big smack (which you can also direct in a different direction as well) all those things combined makes it feel not that slow, and you are doing heaps of damage and getting in and out fast :D

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017

Good to see it starting to click for you! Monster Hunter definitely takes a little while to work out, but it's so satisfying once it does. If you decide to give the GS another go, try using the tackle! It's a move where you shoulder-barge forward, making you invulnerable to being knocked back and doing a bit of stun damage too. You can use it to play more aggressively - instead of sheathing and rolling away, if you have enough health and an enemy's coming at you, you can tackle into them and then immediately counter attack with a charged slash. Because it does stun damage, you can even knock a monster over with the tackle if you do it enough.

You can do a tackle by pressing A whilst charging an attack with X (so if a monster starts attacking while you're charging and you don't have time to roll out, you can tackle through it instead,) or you can do it by pressing X while rolling. That, and the new power sheathe, strangely makes the greatsword kind of a faster weapon than you'd first expect :p

takeablake

May 21, 2018
I'm legit in love with Mizutsune. One of the most beautiful creature designs I've ever seen. Is it a new monster?
He first premiered in Monster Hunter Generations as one of the four "flagship" monsters. Since Generations was really more geared toward veterans, and he wasn't in World (where a lot of people got their start), there are plenty of newcomers who probably haven't seen him. He was definitely my favorite from Generations, and I have been absolutely delighted to see him in Rise (and with some new tricks to boot).

While I'm here, I will say that I've enjoyed your roller coaster of working through the demo so far. Great Sword will probably hold a special place in your heart, since it's how you cut your teeth on Mizu, but you'll likely find one or two weapons that you eventually "settle down" with. FWIW, I never touched Great Sword until Generations Ultimate—where I decided to dive in on that and try nothing else—and I came away loving it, but I can't imagine starting with it. You're destined for greatness, probably.

Dec 2, 2020
I've been really enjoying this using my new split pad pro from Hori. Makes playing in portable mode if you're at home about a thousand times more comfortable. Well worth the $50.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how they would do Valstrax. I believe when it goes into jet form, it leaves the arena/disappears and you get a separate sky texture moving. I wonder if they'll do that again or keep the actual model visible.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the HBG. Sometimes holding ZR with regular ammo does a charged shot, sometimes it shoots as long as you hold it down like a machine gun. I can't seem to figure out how to switch between modes, it seems to happen randomly.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the HBG. Sometimes holding ZR with regular ammo does a charged shot, sometimes it shoots as long as you hold it down like a machine gun. I can't seem to figure out how to switch between modes, it seems to happen randomly.
Pressing A loads the special ammo, in this case a rapid-fire machine gun I forget the name of; you can see the ammo above the shot types as like a machine gun belt thing. Forget how it regenerates but it does.
Otherwise holding Fire will charge all shots in the demo except cluster.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Pressing A loads the special ammo, in this case a rapid-fire machine gun I forget the name of; you can see the ammo above the shot types as like a machine gun belt thing. Forget how it regenerates but it does.
Otherwise holding Fire will charge all shots in the demo except cluster.
Got it. I was confused because the game has the machine gun mode as default, so I thought that was your normal attack and not something you should save.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how they would do Valstrax. I believe when it goes into jet form, it leaves the arena/disappears and you get a separate sky texture moving. I wonder if they'll do that again or keep the actual model visible.

With the upgrade in visuals I'm sure they could do a lot more things with Valstrax.

Best believe his jet effects will be upgraded as well as his attacks. They will probably put a lot of emphasis when he's in the sky to make it incredibly fierce especially when he lands.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing this. I tried: Charge Blade, Switch Axe, and Hammer. I succeeded against Mizutsune with Swaxe but failed with the other two. I think I'll go back and mess around with some of the other weapons later when I get a chance.

Man, that switch axe is so good in this game it feels like cheating. Felt lower commitment in general and felt like there were some new times I could morph. The wirebug art that is basically 3 seconds of super armor lunge (zl+X) is crazy. I feel like as long as I have a wirebug I never have to worry about a roar ever again - You just blow through them with ease. To be honest, there's a lot of stuff you can just blow through with it if you see it coming. I like it. Apparently the other one that charges the gauge has heaps of iframes (ie: no health damage) too, so I might have to experiment with that one also. I never really played MHG so this kind of thing is new to me.

Iffy on wirebug for movement though. Feels super clumsy ATM, probably because I just haven't had practice yet. It's kinda overwhelming trying to aim a grapple and calculate the hunter's arc when everything else that's happening in a monster hunter fight is going on. Never mind the obtuse inputs, especially in portable mode.

I was less keen on CB, but I think that's because I'm out of practice. Usually it takes me a couple hunts to get back into the "zone" of CB's mechanics mountain, and tbh I can only really play CB against monsters that i know really well/can guard point parry so Mizu took a big old bubble dump on me.