• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 9, 2019
Have finished both quests with sword and shield. It's really clicking for me and I'm constantly astonished by the monster animations, music, gamefeel and sound design. Graphics are pleasant, but could use a resolution increase. Gameplay-wise the rhythm of quiet and more intense moments works well to alleviate some of the boss battle fatigue I was afraid of. And the monster patterns haven't been very restrictive yet, there's plenty of room for player expression.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Have finished both quests with sword and shield. It's really clicking for me and I'm constantly astonished by the monster animations, music, gamefeel and sound design. Graphics are pleasant, but could use a resolution increase. Gameplay-wise the rhythm of quiet and more intense moments works well to alleviate some of the boss battle fatigue I was afraid of. And the monster patterns haven't been very restrictive yet, there's plenty of room for player expression.
I've always enjoyed the choice in pacing of, when a monster flees, do you belt after it immediately or slow down, catch your breath and sharpen your weapon and restore/Heath/stamina.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If you think you're going to be doing a lot of free-aiming with the wirebug it can help, but at least going by the sort of content in the demo it doesn't seem like it would be specifically necessary for anything if you don't want it or if your controller doesn't use it. I like it for cliff-climbing since it's easy to tilt the controller back for upward midair bugging, but if you're using the A button do to the midair hang, you can just use the right stick to aim upward and use that instead.
Especially if you're not planning on using the gunner weapons, I'd say that gyro is a nice but unnecessary convenience.
You can turn the gyro on in the demo to see for yourself if you have a Switch, but my assessment is obviously it's useful for gunning to make fine adjustments to your aim (though precise aiming is not as necessary as many other shooters since you're aiming for body parts larger than a person), for aiming the kinsect with the insect glaive, and for manually aiming a wirebug jump. You can do everything the gyro does with the right stick just a bit slower, or a bit less precisely if you turn up the right stick aiming sensitivity. I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't use the gyro in the demo (it defaults to off) and even in the full game will use gyro pretty minimally if at all. It's just a nice to have little option that offers a quite marginal improvement.
Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
Omg i actually managed to kill all 3 monsters in the mitzune missions with 5 minutes to spare. This is probably one of my best monster hunter achievments ever.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I really wish playing this game (demo) didn't make me feel like my eyes are being stabbed. I've never had eye strain issues with any other Monster Hunter game. I don't think it's the resolution or frame pacing, but maybe some sharpness filter they've applied?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017

This video seems to suggest that the motion value on the individual hits of Spirit Helmbreaker have increased from 25 in World to 46 in Rise, which is... which is a big jump. I want hammer to get a buff like that! C'mon, Capcom

Edit: Actually the motion values seem to have been buffed across the board...

I have been reading that the helm breaker motion values specifically appear to be bugged in this demo. Take that with a huge grain of salt though, because I've been trying to look for a source and can't really find anything beyond a couple of comments on gamefaqs of all places.

Edit: I just noticed that the uploader of the video commented on that possibility.

Last edited:

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
QoL I didn't know I needed until now. Player silhouette when monster gets in between the PC and camera.

FoV slider and player silhouette are gamechangers QoL.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

I decided to document a quick, fun Arzuros vs. Izuchi quest using just the Switch's 30-second clip sharing feature. It turned out pretty well!

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am honestly amazed by how much the one counter slikbind has seamlessly patched up every single shortcoming the gunlance has. It's such a smart addition, I can't believe how much I love this weapon now

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly amazed by how much the one counter slikbind has seamlessly patched up every single shortcoming the gunlance has. It's such a smart addition, I can't believe how much I love this weapon now
Same with the charge blade counter. Can use it in axe mode, can cancel right into SAED or anything you want, AND it instantly fills up all your vials. Might be a little too strong lol

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

I thought it was just me being used to Lance and finally getting the safety blanket I'm used to, but this demo is the first time I'm feeling the Gunlance after trying so many times before and always bouncing off.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought it was just me being used to Lance and finally getting the safety blanket I'm used to, but this demo is the first time I'm feeling the Gunlance after trying so many times before and always bouncing off.
The silkbite moves round out each style much more than the hunter arts did. Having the moves use a different number of expendable charges, but also choosing when to use them for emergency recovery and traversal too, makes for some interesting options and decisions to manage them in the moment, rather than just constantly looking to get back into your strongest combo. I like that with the lance I'm not just going for the optimum choice to counter, which is often a "why wouldn't I" with no reason not to, but now I have a suite of counters to deploy with a range of shielding times and effects.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018

This video seems to suggest that the motion value on the individual hits of Spirit Helmbreaker have increased from 25 in World to 46 in Rise, which is... which is a big jump. I want hammer to get a buff like that! C'mon, Capcom

Edit: Actually the motion values seem to have been buffed across the board...

It's easier to land and extremely powerful.

Longsword is just in a great place right now going by the demo. Lots of defensive options with the counters and it has big powerful moves like the silkbind helm splitter.

Greatsword added mobility also makes it extremely powerful now. They integrated Brimstone Slash ans Lion's Maw into the tackle and silkbinds ability it seems going by the datamine and demo. If greatsword gains a counter with the added mobility it's going to be insane.

Charge Blade seems a bit weak right now. The silkbind block is great but SAED feels weak and that move doesnt work that well on smaller hunts. Really hoping Savage Axe mode is back in some capacity.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Same with the charge blade counter. Can use it in axe mode, can cancel right into SAED or anything you want, AND it instantly fills up all your vials. Might be a little too strong lol
Yeah it wasn't as necessary an additiona since it had good guard points already but it strikes me--someone who granted hasn't had a huge amount of time with the weapon outside of 4--as maybe overkill. Is spamming saed still the gameplan like it was in world?
Yeah lance is my most played weapon so gunlance really messes with my muscle memory, since it requires more commitment but offers less safety. But now it essentially has a powerful guard point that lets you commit to moves safely, offers almost instant access to its strongest options, and makes sharpess a total non issue.
The silkbite moves round out each style much more than the hunter arts did. Having the moves use a different number of expendable charges, but also choosing when to use them for emergency recovery and traversal too, makes for some interesting options and decisions to manage them in the moment, rather than just constantly looking to get back into your strongest combo. I like that with the lance I'm not just going for the optimum choice to counter, which is often a "why wouldn't I" with no reason not to, but now I have a suite of counters to deploy with a range of shielding times and effects.
I love anchor rage so much more than enraged guard, which was amazing for dps but was pretty much a passive upgrade since it lasted for so long. The dynamic is so different in rise and asks you to act extremely aggressively if you want to keep it up

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah it wasn't as necessary an additiona since it had good guard points already but it strikes me--someone who granted hasn't had a huge amount of time with the weapon outside of 4--as maybe overkill. Is spamming saed still the gameplan like it was in world?

Yeah lance is my most played weapon so gunlance really messes with my muscle memory, since it requires more commitment but offers less safety. But now it essentially has a powerful guard point that lets you commit to moves safely, offers almost instant access to its strongest options, and makes sharpess a total non issue.

I love anchor rage so much more than enraged guard, which was amazing for dps but was pretty much a passive upgrade since it lasted for so long. The dynamic is so different in rise and asks you to act extremely aggressively if you want to keep it up
Yeah, anchor rage's risk/reward of low guard time combined with the bigger the hit you take, the bigger the buff is great. You can fail big and win big over it.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
This is actually a reason why I'm a bit hesitant to learn charge blade now in Rise. I think this move is such an insane crutch that I don't feel comfortable relying on it too much. If I learn it this way, once it's gone in the next game I'm screwed haha. Need to figure out the guard points also, but that's a bit much for Mizutsune in this demo, at least for me.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I just got around to watching Gaijin Hunter's weapon impression videos, and now I'm even MORE confused as to which weapons I'm going to choose!!

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Yea having always used Long Sword I may as well change up what weapon I use for Rise.

I've always wanted to either use Switchaxe or Chargeblade tho.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
When the game was first announce i wasn't all that exited since i was a bit disappointed with World but now that i have played the demo? My hype is at MAXIMUM

Friendship ended with World. Now Rise is my new best friend.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
My Monster Hunter cycle:

Demo comes out > what new weapon will I main > try every weapon > Swag Axe it is

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Why can Rathian can still poison with tail stump even after it has been cut off?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Why can Rathian can still poison with tail stump even after it has been cut off?
Because poisonous blood droplets are dispersed by Rathian's wild flailing of her stump and are then inhaled by your hunter. (Wear masks everyone.)
Because the tail stump is not actually venomous anymore, but your hunter is merely suffering from a somehow lethal placebo effect.
Because Rathian says fuck you, that's why.

... I got nothing.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
In an attempt to escape the futility of replaying the demo over and over again, I dug MH4U back out to try and wrap up unfinished business there while the online has seen a small resurgence of similarly starved, Rise-craving hunters.

I already carted in my first quest back, forgot to pack Hot Drinks, misremembered the inputs for the mounting mini-game, and have no clue what any of the skills mean or what I thought when I put the gear together.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
In an attempt to escape the futility of replaying the demo over and over again, I dug MH4U back out to try and wrap up unfinished business there while the online has seen a small resurgence of similarly starved, Rise-craving hunters.

I already carted in my first quest back, forgot to pack Hot Drinks, misremembered the inputs for the mounting mini-game, and have no clue what any of the skills mean or what I thought when I put the gear together.
Absolutely classic. Imo that's when MH is at its most fun, when you feel like you've forgotten everything from muscle memory to gameplay

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding going from the smooth 60fps of MHW to this kinda tough.
Feels like I cant get the reactions down.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm a bit down on local multiplayer right now. My brother and I were playing together these past few days, and we had multiple connection errors, even though we were only roughly 2m apart from one another, nothing between us that could weaken the signal from Switch to Switch.

I hope that is figured out by release as we didn't face the same issues with MHGU, so I doubt it's due to the hardware.
Really annoying, and I'm becoming more and more frustrated with every connection error that the two of us barely can play this otherwise phenomenal game/demo together.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I'm a bit down on local multiplayer right now. My brother and I were playing together these past few days, and we had multiple connection errors, even though we were only roughly 2m apart from one another, nothing between us that could weaken the signal from Switch to Switch.

I hope that is figured out by release as we didn't face the same issues with MHGU, so I doubt it's due to the hardware.
Really annoying, and I'm becoming more and more frustrated with every connection error that the two of us barely can play this otherwise phenomenal game/demo together.
Dang, that's rough. Have you tried doing non-local but still together? I'm interested if that solved things or not, that's all. No doubt that's frustrating though. Better be fixed by release for sure.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Dang, that's rough. Have you tried doing non-local but still together? I'm interested if that solved things or not, that's all. No doubt that's frustrating though. Better be fixed by release for sure.
Sadly we can't try non-local - only I am subscribed to NSO. And he's not really planning on paying for it, so it isn't much of an alternative option. :-/ (Don't know whether he's still able to use the 7 days trial, though, as a test and a potential temporary fix)
We're both going to buy Rise either way, but I'd love to get rid of this hindrance.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Sadly we can't try non-local - only I am subscribed to NSO. And he's not really planning on paying for it, so it isn't much of an alternative option. :-/ (Don't know whether he's still able to use the 7 days trial, though, as a test and a potential temporary fix)
We're both going to buy Rise either way, but I'd love to get rid of this hindrance.
Really big bummer, I hope it is indeed fixed <3

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Switch axe is stupidly strong compared to world. One of the wirebug moves has huge invincibility frames, moves you a good distance forward and gives free sword charge. The 2nd has rocksteady mantle for the duration of the long attack. If health augment is in this game it's going to be a cake walk. The only downside is amped state takes forever to enter.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm playing way more weapons than I ever did in World with this demo.
I mostly stuck to Dual Blades and Hammer with World

Right now I'm having a ton of fun learning Great Sword and Switch Axe. Lance is a lot of fun too right now.
I've learned that ranged weapons aren't it for me. I like melee combat in these games
I played LBG & HBG and it just felt like I could hang back shooting most of the time not getting touched. Granted I have no idea how to optimally play those weapons but they kinda bored me.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Absolutely classic. Imo that's when MH is at its most fun, when you feel like you've forgotten everything from muscle memory to gameplay

Fortunately everyone was either equally out of practice or very happy to carry us.

I might want the hour I spent going through my stack of talismans back, though. That's a system I probably wouldn't miss except in the briefest, most nostalgic moments.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Does it feel like the demo monsters are using High Rank behaviors?

Rathian feels a lot more "on" than she did when I fought her in Low Rank and High Rank, though I never played Iceborne so I don't know how she behaves in Master/G Rank. But is that one possible explanation for why the demo feels so tough—the AI is a lot more aggro than it will be when we run into them in our initial playthroughs?

Neen

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Loving the demo! I'm a charge blade user and I'm somewhat disappointed that savage axe mode doesn't exist. I was really hoping they would bring it back.

(Sorry if this was already discussed! I'm late to the party).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the demo! I'm a charge blade user and I'm somewhat disappointed that savage axe mode doesn't exist. I was really hoping they would bring it back.

(Sorry if this was already discussed! I'm late to the party).
There are rumors that it does actually exist in the main game, so fingers crossed!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What advantages does the long sword have over great sword? I've always used great sword just because it showed higher dmg

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
What advantages does the long sword have over great sword? I've always used great sword just because it showed higher dmg
Completely different weapons and playstyles lol. Greatsword is about slow Charge Attacks, Longsword is a mix of medium-speed + Counters. No weapons are similar at all, really, lol. Try every weapon, there's almost no crossover whatsoever.

Last edited:

Neen

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There are rumors that it does actually exist in the main game, so fingers crossed!

I hope so! I recently bought Iceborne and unlocked the savage axe mode. This new move just adds a whole new element when playing. I love using it because it's really quite effective. I hope they bring it back. It would be a shame if they didn't.

As for the demo, I really do like the fast traversal. The drifting mechanic they added when running with your palamute is so much fun. Can't wait to get my hands on the whole game.