• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Am a total Monster Hunter newbie so pardon me for my ignorance.

Is Lance really awful or do I just suck with it? :P
I've only tried 6-7 weapons so far, but I find the lance to be the hardest to play by far.. movement is so slow.

Really enjoying the demo so far, beat the first mission and we did a couple of tries on the second mission and while we didnt take on the the mission boss we took down Rathian after a couple of failed tries and that was a real good feeling.

Feels like a game it's going to take quite a bit of time to get good at though!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am a total Monster Hunter newbie so pardon me for my ignorance.

Is Lance really awful or do I just suck with it? :P
I've only tried 6-7 weapons so far, but I find the lance to be the hardest to play by far.. movement is so slow.

Really enjoying the demo so far, beat the first mission and we did a couple of tries on the second mission and while we didnt take on the the mission boss we took down Rathian after a couple of failed tries and that was a real good feeling.

Feels like a game it's going to take quite a bit of time to get good at though!
Hi!

Lance is slow once your weapon is drawn, but you shouldn't need to be walking around with it. Generally, if your weapon is sheathed, use the wirebug to get in a jumping draw attack, or leap off the dog into one. If your weapon is drawn and you are far away, a Lance charge will get you in (X+A+ZR, or press X+A while guarding, same difference.). Once next to the monster, use ZL+X to attach the silkbite cord (2 wirebug charges). This will allow you to leap back to it with a jumping attack (ZL+B to jump to it, then attack).

Once you're next to the monster, your basic attack pattern should be using your triple poke combo while practicing the sidestep and jump back to evade its attacks and keep the combo going (use them to cancel out after the last attack to avoid recovery frames). However, using your suite of counters is the key to mastering the Lance.

Hold ZR to block. holding ZR, hold down A to charge a counter- any attack you block will trigger the response.
While holding ZR and charging a counter, you can also press B instead to drop into a super counter- you'll drop to one knee, defence goes up, but it burns stamina fast. However, while in this position, you can change facing (with a bit of practice) and counter whenever you like.
The final counter in the demo is the wirebug one, ZL+A. It gives you a window of a second or so (visible by the strands locking you in place) to absorb an attack, the stronger the hit you take, the greater the temp. attack boost you receive.

At the moment I'm using the standard counter a lot as it's the most forgiving with a long shield time. If I think I've misjudged and an attack isn't coming, I drop into a super counter and launch attack, the super counter also has you leap forward a bit so it's a good way of extending your counter's range if you were anticipating an attack but the monster changed target and started moving away. If I *know* a big hit is coming and my health is at max, I risk the wirebug counter.

You can practice all these moves on the demo tutorial to your hearts content.

Essentially, the key to Lance is to use your mobility tools to stay on top of the enemy, don't walk around when you can run, charge or swing or ride. If the fight goes crazy against an enraged monster, having lodged the silkbite bungee cord can help you keep piling on the damage with jump attacks while also getting you out of the danger zone in front of it. Otherwise, practice making the monster pay for every hit it lands on you. If you don't master the suite of counters, you'll struggle to keep up with the damage output of the other melee weapons as their dodges and then renewing the attack are generally faster and stronger than a lancer blocking then settling back into a basic Lance combo.

However, when starting with the Lance, mastering just blocking and the basic combos combined with sidesteps and backsteps is your bread and butter. Everything else, the Lance charge, the jump attacks and counters, all builds on top of that.

I'm not the best lancer in the world but I've been one for a long time, so give me a shout if you've got any questions :-)

Last edited:

CarpenterJack

Nov 18, 2017
Never played Monster Hunter before but first impressions are not that good. First, when I am in game I can't find a way back to the Main Menu?! I mean, what? And I'm sure I am doing it wrong but are there only 2 different attacks (2 Buttons)? It gets boring pretty quick.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never played Monster Hunter before but first impressions are not that good. First, when I am in game I can't find a way back to the Main Menu?! I mean, what? And I'm sure I am doing it wrong but are there only 2 different attacks (2 Buttons)? It gets boring pretty quick.
You can get back to the main menu at any time by going into the menu (hit start) and abandoning the quest.
There are two attack buttons, but they combine with the wirebug and whatever your weapon does with the shoulder buttons into loads more moves and combos. Get into the menu in a quest, look at the hunters notes, look up your weapon and you'll find a basic move list there. It's not a complete one, there's way more than that, it's just simplified for beginners. In the full game players will be able to tailor which moves and wirebug skills they have access to to a limited extent too.

CarpenterJack

Nov 18, 2017
You can get back to the main menu at any time by going into the menu (hit start) and abandoning the quest.
There are two attack buttons, but they combine with the wirebug and whatever your weapon does with the shoulder buttons into loads more moves and combos. Get into the menu in a quest, look at the hunters notes, look up your weapon and you'll find a basic move list there. It's not a complete one, there's way more than that, it's just simplified for beginners. In the full game players will be able to tailor which moves and wirebug skills they have access to to a limited extent too.
Thanks, I'll try it!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's team dark side for you lol. I'm honestly happy with my 9 minute kill with Long Sword.
Wow, I would be too! I'm going to experiment with the longsword to round out my standard armoury of GS and Lance this time around, it seems really fun and very mobile compared to my usual weapons

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I think part of what helps Monster Hunter foster a healthy and less toxic community are two major points. First, the game being entirely co-op, since you're never actually competing against anyone else there's relatively nothing to be gained by trash-talking others since it's only going to worsen your own experience. Second, in a weird way, the fact that the game is so information-dense while also being fairly bad at actually teaching new players within the game itself I think fosters a stronger community through teaching. More often than not the weapon controls and item uses and everything are things that can overwhelm new players, and that means for most players, their knowledge-base when starting out comes in large part through some amount of learning from others. Whether it's tips about armor skills, or weapon tutorials or mechanical questions, everybody at some point or another had part of the game opened up for them by someone else, which means that after playing the game for years and then seeing someone else who's coming in new and feeling overwhelmed, it's easy for the veterans to draw back from their own experience as a student, and can now pass on their newly-practiced and cemented knowledge down to the next newbies, helping to grow enthusiasm for the franchise as a whole. It's those two elements working in concert that makes the community work. Fighting games can feel similarly overwhelming and might require teaching, but that also runs at odds with the game's competitive nature.

Literally no weapon in the game only has two attacks, not even the bowguns. Most weapon-related functionality is directed through X, A, and ZR, and it's different combinations of these buttons at particular times that make up a weapon's full arsenal.
The hammer, for instance, you could simply say that ZR is "charge attack," but that leaves out the fact that using just that button alone gives you access to four different attacks all with different properties and follow-ups just depending on how long you hold the charge before letting it go and whether you're moving or not. Add in the charge-change mechanic from Rise by pressing A while charging and now you've got two more new moves. Then there's a combo of just X button attacks, a combo for just A button attacks, silkbind attacks, chaining the spinning swing into the Big Bang combo finisher...and this is just for the hammer, which is usually considered one of if not the most basic weapon in the game.
Every weapon is essentially a fighting game character. Different normals, combos, and special attacks.
Is there a particular weapon you're trying to work on learning right now? The vast differences in weapons means it's oftentimes easier to give more specific tips rather than an overall description.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
The lance wirebug counter is way more forgiving than the gun lance counter so after getting used to the GL one, the lance one is basically free attack power and a huge counter every time.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You should think of the weapons as characters in a fighting game. They do a lot with just 2 attacks (and the shoulder buttons) because they can combo together, transform, charge and all manner of shenanigans. As mentioned some of the moves are in the menu but honestly just look up the weapons on youtube as the tutorials inside the game don't cover everything.

Despite all the streamlining from MH:World kinda carrying over here MH still has a steep learning curve so it'll take some time before you settle into a nice rhythm with the game.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Wow, I would be too! I'm going to experiment with the longsword to round out my standard armoury of GS and Lance this time around, it seems really fun and very mobile compared to my usual weapons
I think the reason why I got much better kill times aside from practice is because of counters. With Charge Blade, the peak performance counter is utterly broken. Same thing with LS having multiple counters.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
When do people expect the second demo to drop (is there usually a save carry over demo ?) ?

The 1st one left me thirsty for more.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

This video seems to suggest that the motion value on the individual hits of Spirit Helmbreaker have increased from 25 in World to 46 in Rise, which is... which is a big jump. I want hammer to get a buff like that! C'mon, Capcom

Edit: Actually the motion values seem to have been buffed across the board...

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When do people expect the second demo to drop (is there usually a save carry over demo ?) ?

The 1st one left me thirsty for more.
Some time in early March. I'm expecting the second demo to be pretty much the same as this one with Magnamalo (the monster on the cover) added to hunt.

I'm not expecting a demo that consists of the beginning of the game with the ability to carry over your save.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I wonder if the 2nd demo will have customization in it or if Capcom will go ahead and put the other set of new abilities equiped for all the weapons to try.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game worth playing if I'm probably not going to have any opportunities to do coop?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely play the whole thing solo if you want. IMO it's more fun if you have a friend or two that you play with but you can have a lot of fun playing through the whole game solo
Does it scale the monsters and such to accommodate solo players? I'm generally bad at action games and died a number of times when I tried the beginner quest of the demo.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Does it scale the monsters and such to accommodate solo players? I'm generally bad at action games and died a number of times when I tried the beginner quest of the demo.
So if it works like World then yes, it scales the monster's health for 1 player, 2 player or 4 player. And if you're a newbie expect to die a lot. It took me a lot of time in World (my first Monster Hunter) to figure out how to be decent at the game. Which is something to consider, it will likely be a considerable time commitment for you to learn the game/git gud once you hit some of the harder monsters.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it scales the difficulty according to the number of players. I'm also generally bad at action games and usually avoid them, but this game, once it clicks (and it will click, you just need some patience), say goodbye to your loved ones.

The demos are notoriously very very far from an ideal way for newbies to assess if the game is for them. So when I talked about patience, I meant for the game - it is quite possible the demo will never "click" for you, since this is not how the game introduces things to you.

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it scales the difficulty according to the number of players. I'm also generally bad at action games and usually avoid them, but this game, once it clicks (and it will click, you just need some patience), say goodbye to your loved ones.

The demos are notoriously very very far from an ideal way for newbies to assess if the game is for them. So when I talked about patience, I meant for the game - it is quite possible the demo will never "click" for you, since this is not how the game introduces things to you.
I guess that makes sense. Probably not going to drop $60 to find it if I can get it to click. Thanks for the advice

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I guess that makes sense. Probably not going to drop $60 to find it if I can get it to click. Thanks for the advice
Well then in that case try different weapons in the demo and find the one that works best for you. There's still a chance it will click in the demo, just imo lower than in the game. In your case I would say though do NOT try the intermediate hunt, as it will most probably turn you off while it is not at all representative of the game (meaning that by the time you reach such difficulty in the game, you will be much, much better prepared on all possible fronts).

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game worth playing if I'm probably not going to have any opportunities to do coop?

I have over 1500 hours in MHW, and most of that is solo. So imo yes. In fact I prefer the moment to moment gameplay solo (even without the AI companions) greatly over coop. When I play with friends it's just to enjoy playing something with them more than the game itself actually being more fun lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Aww... I get this, but we've all been there! Who knows, maybe you sticking around would have seen you pull off a clutch save in that final stretch and save the whole quest! I do get it though, my good friend is very much the same way. In her case it comes from playing far more toxic multiplayer games where it was the norm to get verbally put down for the smallest mistakes. I've found, in my years and years of playing the series, that the amount of times I saw someone kicked or accosted due to carts or something equally mundane... is just a tiny tiny fraction compared to allll the wonderful moments with total strangers.
Thats me as well ,im accustomed to toxic multiplayer

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Question: At least going by the demo, how important is gyro in Rise? Is it used for anything except missile weapons aiming, it is used for controlling wirebug directions for example? I am considering buying the Hori Split Pad controllers to play the game, but they do not have gyro.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Question: At least going by the demo, how important is gyro in Rise? Is it used for anything except missile weapons aiming, it is used for controlling wirebug directions for example? I am considering buying the Hori Split Pad controllers to play the game, but they do not have gyro.
If you think you're going to be doing a lot of free-aiming with the wirebug it can help, but at least going by the sort of content in the demo it doesn't seem like it would be specifically necessary for anything if you don't want it or if your controller doesn't use it. I like it for cliff-climbing since it's easy to tilt the controller back for upward midair bugging, but if you're using the A button do to the midair hang, you can just use the right stick to aim upward and use that instead.
Especially if you're not planning on using the gunner weapons, I'd say that gyro is a nice but unnecessary convenience.

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
You can turn the gyro on in the demo to see for yourself if you have a Switch, but my assessment is obviously it's useful for gunning to make fine adjustments to your aim (though precise aiming is not as necessary as many other shooters since you're aiming for body parts larger than a person), for aiming the kinsect with the insect glaive, and for manually aiming a wirebug jump. You can do everything the gyro does with the right stick just a bit slower, or a bit less precisely if you turn up the right stick aiming sensitivity. I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't use the gyro in the demo (it defaults to off) and even in the full game will use gyro pretty minimally if at all. It's just a nice to have little option that offers a quite marginal improvement.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Where's my LBG hunters at?
Tfw even getting the extra ammo in the tent it still tough to take all 3 monsters down with friends.
I think the main goal may be to use the Rathian and Izu to deal massive damage to Mizu. I was surprised at how far you can get riding them.
There's plants everywhere that autocraft ammo when you pick them up. You can even make the mini map only show one type (latch so you can get that sweet sweet piercing ammo ) and then you just grab more when running after the monster and then unload on it again lol

One of the interesting things is learning where all the types are so you know where to go when you run out of different ones.
Also I really started to click with LBG when I found out about shooting the mines down in the air and sticking them on the monster. That plus piercing ammo and its pretty much curtains for most monsters, especially mizu cause he is so darn long it hits heaps of times all the way down lol

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

Huh! You know, this ol' bird looks pretty cool

I wonder what the real final bosses of Rise will be like. Magnamalo is the flagship, but you know there's some Ganon-styled MF behind it that's making it be the way it is

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

I wonder what the real final bosses of Rise will be like. Magnamalo is the flagship, but you know there's some Ganon-styled MF behind it that's making it be the way it is

I thought I was alone in loving Gog. I think I must have spent hundreds of hours grinding him for all the armor/weapons. The designs were amazing.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Does the game feel closer to Generations or World? I still need to play the former which is why I am curious

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts:
+ The map is way better than anything World did. Thank to your doggo you can travel faster and the areas themselves aren't as big, so you don't have to constantly run 80mph behind a monster while still looking out for your position. So it more in fashion with Classic MH and that gets a thumbs up.
+ Artstyle is way better than in World. Worlds characters had some weird faces like with MvC:I but not here. Could be the engine. Like it.
+ Even tho Mr. Bubbles and Rathian are not new to me, they added them some new moves but not without them doing one hit wonders, that could kill you easily, with no
+ The wirebug is a neat addition to give the levels more verticallity and you a to close a gap faster to a monster at the other side of an arena

o From what I heard, you can go on on 4 Coop missions right away and do all story missions in a team. Without listening to a stupid fucking handler and seeing a cutscene of a monster alone, right?

- You can use the wirebag waaaay too often for my taste. It should be more like a special attack that you can charge. Right now, you can easily spam this shit and do a good amount of damage. I see myself using it all the bloody time, because in my eyes it seems effective, but I don't really want it, because MH for me is the commitment to do a certain move, to position yourself properly, to learn patterns and this fast paced action style is getting overhand.
- I'm worried about the Camp and what it leads to. You see, in classic MH you had to preperae yourself for a specific fight. It's part of the fun, iyam. Now you can constantly swap your entire inventory. I know why they are doing this, but could yoiu at least limit it to the first 5 minutes of a mission and to not allow it in G-Rank at all? Because I am worried that end game Monsters end up being like in World. With some bad telegraphed attacks that could easily kill you in one hit. So instead of designing them properly, you just drink 50 potions or something. I HATED IT in World and I am worried it will happen again.
- Based soley on the Demo, they ruined my Hunting Horn. You hit the same notes twice and it plays automatically!? There are no songs? There is no bigger buff when hitting a monster whn using notes!? WTF, did I miss something? Shits dumbed down drastically. Please tell me, that there is more in the full game.

So yeah... I'm not sure if I buy this or not. Because World annoyed the hell out of me and if it's like World, I don't want it

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
- Based soley on the Demo, they ruined my Hunting Horn. You hit the same notes twice and it plays automatically!? There are no songs? There is no bigger buff when hitting a monster whn using notes!? WTF, did I miss something? Shits dumbed down drastically. Please tell me, that there is more in the full game.
Datamine says HARDEST YES

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018

Not even gonna reveal the name(unless requested) but the final boss has been discovered within the demo datamines already lol.