• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The English voice lines are by far the worst part of Rise.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The voices are so weird when you get things such as a guy saying the Franchise still doesn't appeal to him:

...and the community so so nice that he ends up loving the Community for being so nice to him and giving him tips!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Most of the voice lines have been weird as hell. Still can't get over the "Daddy needs a new pair of boots" quote you get from carving lol
Some MH newcomer: " I know this may sound weird, but I'm a bit turned off that this series is about killing wild animals for sport"
MH veteran: "Well, you see, the quests are contextualized in a way that makes it more than hunting for sport. Hunters actively help the environment by hunting destructive invasive species such as Deviljho or sometimes some monster is enroaching on a settlement and need to be put down and then there are Eld..."
Hunter: "Hehe, daddy needs a new pair of BOOTS"

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So how does Silkbind work for Bow users? I hit R + A and the characters hand starts to emit blue. But my arrows don't change or anything...

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you do the wyvern riding with it? In the tutorial mission I wound up using a puppet spider instead.
In the full game you will be able change the Evasion Silkbind Skill for an Ariel Attack Silkbind Skill that will allow you to initiate Wyvern Riding without the use of the Puppet Spider

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Some MH newcomer: " I know this may sound weird, but I'm a bit turned off that this series is about killing wild animals for sport"
MH veteran: "Well, you see, the quests are contextualized in a way that makes it more than hunting for sport. Hunters actively help the environment by hunting destructive invasive species such as Deviljho or sometimes some monster is enroaching on a settlement and need to be put down and then there are Eld..."
Hunter: "Hehe, daddy needs a new pair of BOOTS"
Omg lmao. I've always kind of hated that kind of response to this particular criticism, like just admit it's blood sport much of the time, but I'd also rather capcom not draw attention to it or joke like that

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been on board with fantasy video games we play for fun somehow being in support of mistreatment of actual animals

I think thats a bridge to far. MH is my favorite series ever and I am massive geek on wildlife and ecology.

I don't have that disconnect or feel my love of the game somehow is in contrast to supporting humane treatment of wildlife

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Through osmosis the demo just started clicking for me and now I can't decide which weapon I like the most. Having a great time with SnS, Long Sword and Heavy Bowgun

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
God damn, I have fallen in love with Long Sword all over again. I actually killed Mizu in 9m 50s! The counters and the amount of helm splitters I did on the head was crazy strong, I feel pretty proud lol.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm enjoying the Hunting Horn a lot, but I'm a bit nervous that I'll be the target of hostility if I use it (as is the case for support weapons/characters a lot of the time). Is it a weapon that you'll be judged for using if you're not super pro?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the Hunting Horn a lot, but I'm a bit nervous that I'll be the target of hostility if I use it (as is the case for support weapons/characters a lot of the time). Is it a weapon that you'll be judged for using if you're not super pro?
Maybe before it became the new hotness, but now that it looks like a weapon you can effectively solo there may be no more shame.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've found you never really get that weird 'class choice prejudice' stuff with MonHun. Sure, hunting horn supports the team, but hunting horn is a weapon in its own right that can out-damage some of the others, it's not like they are the designated support role or anything and if you aren't doing the support right, you aren't pulling your weight like in some serious MMO endgame raid . MonHun moves so fast that the only time people really notice if you aren't doing too well is when you cart, or if you mess up traps and sleep/bomb strategies others have set up. not how much damage you are or aren't doing. Given that, the constant buffs means that hunting horn users tend to be very welcome!

In my experience, outside the general bungling of sleep/bombs, or luring monsters away from traps when the rest of the team is on the other side of it, longsword users tripping up others (particularly lancers) was always the most annoying for me. In turn, lancers charging with no care for sending others flying when those others were the ones piling on heavy damage at the time was also a class no-no.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
In my experience* Monster Hunter isn't that kind of game. It's a pretty chill community where it takes showing up in low rank armor to an end-game encounter and carting thrice in the subsequent fight to get kicked from a pick-up group. I don't think the huge popularity of Insect Glaive ever resulted in more than mild ribbing. And, honestly, if a bad player joins my hunt, new Hunting Horn is the weapon I want them to bring because that way they'll be most likely to still contribute to us doing well.

*based on the 3DS gens. If World's mainstream success in the west changed the attitude of the playerbase, I'm not aware.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I'm looking forward to playing some funky tunes while helping my team even more now.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In my experience* Monster Hunter isn't that kind of game. It's a pretty chill community where it takes showing up in low rank armor to an end-game encounter and carting thrice in the subsequent fight to get kicked from a pick-up group. I don't think the huge popularity of Insect Glaive ever resulted in more than mild ribbing. And, honestly, if a bad player joins my hunt, new Hunting Horn is the weapon I want them to bring because that way they'll be most likely to still contribute to us doing well.

*based on the 3DS gens. If World's mainstream success in the west changed the attitude of the playerbase, I'm not aware.
I still remember a friend and I playing MHTri and having a Hunter ask us to assist with Aleotron, the final online boss at the time. He then proceeded to wait in the camp while we killed it for him. After 30 minutes of slogging away, we went and literally kicked him into the arena where he, as expected, carted immediately, and so we sighed and settled in to finish it with just two of us. Presumably they just wanted to see the end credits or something, it was weird though, never seen it before or ever since. Agree on hunting horn being welcome for new players joining a hunt to take on something they aren't familiar with yet. Ranged weapons too, as long as they aren't charging in with an all-out attack style and triple carting inside of ten minutes, multiple hunts in a row I'm easy. We all have bad hunts.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I still remember a friend and I playing MHTri and having a Hunter ask us to assist with Aleotron, the final online boss at the time. He then proceeded to wait in the camp while we killed it for him. After 30 minutes of slogging away, we went and literally kicked him into the arena where he, as expected, carted immediately, and so we sighed and settled in to finish it with just two of us. Presumably they just wanted to see the end credits or something, it was weird though, never seen it before or ever since.

Never had a case like that. Almost reads like the person didn't want to type out an elaborate explanation on the Wii keyboard so settled for a simple request and silence. But it reminds me of plenty times when the group I was in took on a tough monster that was new to someone. And if they carted once or twice and weren't comfortable continuing but stayed back in camp while the rest of the group finished the mission, never once did anyone have a problem with it or make them leave afterwards. It was the least toxic multiplayer game I've known.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Managed to beat an Azuros without drawing my weapon at all. I'm officially satisfied now.

Throwing kunai are the true 15th weapon.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never had a case like that. Almost reads like the person didn't want to type out an elaborate explanation on the Wii keyboard so settled for a simple request and silence. But it reminds me of plenty times when the group I was in took on a tough monster that was new to someone. And if they carted once or twice and weren't comfortable continuing but stayed back in camp while the rest of the group finished the mission, never once did anyone have a problem with it or make them leave afterwards. It was the least toxic multiplayer game I've known.
That's true, I've defo had that where one player carted twice and then stayed in camp so as not to be responsible for everyone failing the quest.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
In the full game you will be able change the Evasion Silkbind Skill for an Ariel Attack Silkbind Skill that will allow you to initiate Wyvern Riding without the use of the Puppet Spider

I think it's kind of silly they didn't include that in the demo especially the wyvern riding one where they are trying to teach you how to use your silk bind to wyvern ride. I spent forever thinking I was doing it wrong (and at the time no one was answering me on what I was doing it wrong) before I decided it just couldn't be done with bow.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I have to confess, I've played over a 1000 hours across all the MH games I've played (I started with Tri > 3U > 4U > GU > Rise will be next) and have never ever played a single game online. Pretty much every online multiplayer game (where communication is a thing) I've played was full of people being toxic towards me, most likely because of my background (without going into too much detail). Because of that, I automatically avoid some online multiplayer, including MH despite loving the series. I know I shouldn't just write the community off, since on message boards and discord I've had a nice experience and the community has been nice. But the toxicity I've experienced just ruins my enjoyment of some games.

I think I'm going to give it a go with Rise, since there is no voice chat anyway, so that should decrease the chance of me getting annoyed. And if the community continues to be nice, that's even better and might help me get over this prejudice of "online communication in multiplayer games is bad!"

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
I have to confess, I've played over a 1000 hours across all the MH games I've played (I started with Tri > 3U > 4U > GU > Rise will be next) and have never ever played a single game online. Pretty much every online multiplayer game (where communication is a thing) I've played was full of people being toxic towards me, most likely because of my background (without going into too much detail). Because of that, I automatically avoid some online multiplayer, including MH despite loving the series. I know I shouldn't just write the community off, since on message boards and discord I've had a nice experience and the community has been nice. But the toxicity I've experienced just ruins my enjoyment of some games.

I think I'm going to give it a go with Rise, since there is no voice chat anyway, so that should decrease the chance of me getting annoyed. And if the community continues to be nice, that's even better and might help me get over this prejudice of "online communication in multiplayer games is bad!"
Honestly, I'm wary about online communities myself and I absolutely never had a problem in any monster hunter game I've played so far. And a big part of that is simply that interaction via messages or voice chat is minimal to non-existent. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times in my 800+ hours in World where I got any sort of interaction with another random player, not counting stickers and gestures. And I easily played 70% of my time online. It really is a non-issue from my experience. I obviously can't speak for yours, but I'm pretty sure that you will be able to play Rise without having to deal with toxicity. There might be a few passive-aggressive automatic shout-outs when someone faints, or sarcastic sticker usage, but that's honestly the worst of it. I can't speak for PC, and I heard that mods like damage meter foster a bit of toxicity, but on consoles and especially Rise I wouldn't worry about it at all. So I'd absolutely encourage you to give it a try, because even without really interacting with anyone, hunting together can be a good bit of fun.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Honestly, I'm wary about online communities myself and I absolutely never had a problem in any monster hunter game I've played so far. And a big part of that is simply that interaction via messages or voice chat is minimal to non-existent. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times in my 800+ hours in World where I got any sort of interaction with another random player, not counting stickers and gestures. And I easily played 70% of my time online. It really is a non-issue from my experience. I obviously can't speak for yours, but I'm pretty sure that you will be able to play Rise without having to deal with toxicity. There might be a few passive-aggressive automatic shout-outs when someone faints, or sarcastic sticker usage, but that's honestly the worst of it. I can't speak for PC, and I heard that mods like damage meter foster a bit of toxicity, but on consoles and especially Rise I wouldn't worry about it at all. So I'd absolutely encourage you to give it a try, because even without really interacting with anyone, hunting together can be a good bit of fun.
Thank you, your post is reassuring. I'm certainly willing to give it a try, and it's something that I think could be really fun.
Either way, I can't wait for this game to finally release!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thank you, your post is reassuring. I'm certainly willing to give it a try, and it's something that I think could be really fun.
MonHun is the only online game I play, the co-op nature helps I think, plus it being a system with a lot to learn. It's a really friendly community!

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I could say the same thing about PC. Also speaking about the Damage Meter mod, out of the 985 hours I put into World on PC, I think I've only encountered 1 person out of all my hunts that linked one in chat, and when they did the other people talked them down lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It is a fun online game. You wont really see too much of people freaking out or being rude. Especially as there is no mic support. I think I have only run into someone truly being an asshole once. And we just kicked him because lol at getting mad over this.

I think you'll enjoy playing online.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The most toxic it gets is when you don't know what to do. Especially on big unusual quests with rare monsters on a specialized field (ie jhen mohran). It was a unique battle with certain heavy equirement. But the toxicity is just ppl leaving.

I felt like a dummy because I triggered the spike at the wrong time but no one was verbally aggressive.

I expect a discord to pop up from this community and ppl are more than helpful. So finding ppl to hunt with when they know you are learning will be easier than on past games. It used to be tough to fill certain missions but the improvements to mission structure and drop in probably make it a better community.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
7SVTbpF.jpg

I did it, I beat Mizutsune with LS, and with a pretty bad picture to show for it. I didn't have a chance to play all week but I watched Arekz video on LS in World and knowing how important the spirit gauge is I slayed it on the first try, even though if a little long and awkward. I also used the trick with launching it between two walls, and I feel pretty fantastic. I'll be working on time, so maybe I'll slay all three by the time game releases.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I could say the same thing about PC. Also speaking about the Damage Meter mod, out of the 985 hours I put into World on PC, I think I've only encountered 1 person out of all my hunts that linked one in chat, and when they did the other people talked them down lol
Using a dps meter in MH? Wow

Why would anyone even do that, so many factors can impact a fight with monsters in the game, only the arena is a more controllable environment. This isnt an mmorpg like ffxiv where mechanics are set and once the fight is memorized it's all about dps optimization. Lots of things can change how the fight plays out in MH.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
That's very good to know haha, I don't like the idea of a damage meter in Monster Hunter. Nice to hear that it's basically just the same on PC when it comes to the community.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland

Why would anyone even do that, so many factors can impact a fight with monsters in the game, only the arena is a more controllable environment. This isnt an mmorpg like ffxiv where mechanics are set and once the fight is memorized it's all about dps optimization. Lots of things can change how the fight plays out in MH.
It's just information, nothing harmful! (Sarcasm)

Nah, the actual reasoning is so they can feel superior. It's silly. They want to point out 'bad players' and point to themselves as 'good players'. Luckily, as others have said, it's incredibly rare because few are like that, and only for PC World. There're obviously proper usage like min-maxing for speedruns in multiplayer, etc, but the situation described ain't it.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
My enjoyment of the demo went up immensely after ordering the the hori split pad pro. Knew the joycons would be a detriment to my enjoyment of the full game when I first started the demo back on Friday. It was down to the horis or the pro controller. The recent deal on the Hori pretty much sealed the deal for me. God, whata difference they make. Been doing things solo for now. Work and different timezones really screws up playing with folks from a discord server I'm in. MHW was my first MH and it feels so good to be back to MH. Looking forward to hunting with some of you in the full game! :)

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019

Well I won't lie and say I didn't use one on the PC version. Before I stopped playing , I started using one for a few months. Never linked it in chat or used it in a toxic manner though. I was just used to having one for so long after playing WoW for years and was curious,and I got more into solo speedkills a bit so it was nice to see what I could improve on as it didn't just show damage if I recall.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Well I won't lie and say I didn't use one on the PC version. Before I stopped playing , I started using one for a few months. Never linked it in chat or used it in a toxic manner though. I was just used to having one for so long after playing WoW for years and was curious,and I got more into solo speedkills a bit so it was nice to see what I could improve on as it didn't just show damage if I recall.
Yeah, such a thing isn't inherently bad - when utilized as the other scenario, it's toxic, but without that it's totally not a problem, and likely even a benefit. Seeing improvement is super cool!

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I play exclusively with randoms, it's mostly a good experience, but not always. Toxic/elitist auto call outs when you faint and rape jokes when they mount the monster etc. I have even encountered racism. The most common is by far the rape jokes for mounting, I have encountered them in every game since mounting was introduced.

This is also why I always play as host.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
It is a fun online game. You wont really see too much of people freaking out or being rude. Especially as there is no mic support. I think I have only run into someone truly being an asshole once. And we just kicked him because lol at getting mad over this.

I think you'll enjoy playing online.
Yeah, the lack of voice chat actually makes me want to try online lol. I'm more comfortable with the idea now.

Thank you!
I expect a discord to pop up from this community and ppl are more than helpful. So finding ppl to hunt with when they know you are learning will be easier than on past games. It used to be tough to fill certain missions but the improvements to mission structure and drop in probably make it a better community.
A discord would be great to find certain hunts. I've read about how hard it can get to find hunts for certain monsters in GU, because there are so many monsters in that game. A discord would help with similar situations.

After all, nobody is gonna help you farm a monster if you act like an asshole.
That's very true hahaha!

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Generally if i cart twice ,i just leave the session immediately in shame :/

Aww... I get this, but we've all been there! Who knows, maybe you sticking around would have seen you pull off a clutch save in that final stretch and save the whole quest! I do get it though, my good friend is very much the same way. In her case it comes from playing far more toxic multiplayer games where it was the norm to get verbally put down for the smallest mistakes. I've found, in my years and years of playing the series, that the amount of times I saw someone kicked or accosted due to carts or something equally mundane... is just a tiny tiny fraction compared to allll the wonderful moments with total strangers.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
The only real toxicity back in the day was people playing palicoes would often get kicked. I remember gaijin hunter complaining about it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Four longsword players taking Mitsu down in well under four minutes

Meanwhile I'm still struggling to get under 25 mins with my Lance solo and I've been playing for a decade :D

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I love watching the Darkside team do their thing. It is like synchronized sports only Monster Hunter.