• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
And of course, the CB silkbind I'd like to switch is the one you can't :(
Same here. The Dual Blades and LongSword skills and silkbinds I want to get rid of are the ones that aren't swappable. Sakura Slash would be really damn useful for someone like me who sucks at Foresight Slash, but not if you have to lose Spirit Helm Breaker.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Oh it is? I thought they always stayed around where Zora goes and stayed out of the Old World. But yeah they may not care if it means getting cool ass monsters in the games. Nergi would be great.

They play fast and loose with the lore, which is great. Nergi would be cool, personally not a fan of Diablos but it's a fan favorite and I really can't see it not being in.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Well shit I didn't think to use the shortcut menu to combine. I was using charged shots to conserve ammo but it seems like just spamming is a lot faster.
Also just grabbing extra ammo from the plants along the way is the other option
you can set the map to just show one type of thing and it also pops up on the minimap too, so I set it to latchberry for that lovely piercing ammo :D

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Same here. The Dual Blades and LongSword skills and silkbinds I want to get rid of are the ones that aren't swappable. Sakura Slash would be really damn useful for someone like me who sucks at Foresight Slash, but not if you have to lose Spirit Helm Breaker.

You mean you don't want Shrouded Vault? But it's like the best skill as a DB Main! So many times it's saved me already while also being able to put the hurt on Mizu.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Sorry, I need some help here!

I've used Gunlance in 4U and GU (didn't play World/Iceborne). Not an expert, mind you, it was an additional weapon to my main.

What I don't get now is the heating system. In 4U and GU you'd shell and build up heat, and then use Wyvern Fire to lock said heat and increase your power output.
Is this system gone/revamped in Rise? Is it new or a World change I'm unaware of?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
As far as hammer and the leak is concerned,
I know full well this is my moment of being old and of yelling at clouds, but I don't like a counter move like water strike on hammer. I realise it's not the first time and has happened before, but to me it makes the weapon lose some of what makes it unique. Hammer was always about uncompromising damage in my opinion, you hit hard and get to KO monsters but at the cost of any sort of defensive capability. Sort of bringing the age old adage of 'the best defense is a good offense' to its logical conclusion. I feel this just furthers, ever so slightly, a sort of weapon homogenisation that I'm not too fond of. Hammer doesn't need to be able to what some other weapons can do, let it be its own thing.
Also,
what is the side smash for hammer? It's a move that I guess we have access to in the demo already, it being the alternative move to water strike. But I'm totally blanking on what it's supposed to be or how to do it. I'm not sure I ever used it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
You mean you don't want Shrouded Vault? But it's like the best skill as a DB Main! So many times it's saved me already while also being able to put the hurt on Mizu.
I think the vertical vault skill may be more useful to me. At the very least I'd like to have the flexibility. But what I absolutely don't want to give up is the kunai stab, it does a shitload of damage and is fantastic for localized damage too.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
As far as hammer and the leak is concerned,
I know full well this is my moment of being old and of yelling at clouds, but I don't like a counter move like water strike on hammer. I realise it's not the first time and has happened before, but to me it makes the weapon lose some of what makes it unique. Hammer was always about uncompromising damage in my opinion, you hit hard and get to KO monsters but at the cost of any sort of defensive capability. Sort of bringing the age old adage of 'the best defense is a good offense' to its logical conclusion. I feel this just furthers, ever so slightly, a sort of weapon homogenisation that I'm not too fond of. Hammer doesn't need to be able to what some other weapons can do, let it be its own thing.
Also,
what is the side smash for hammer? It's a move that I guess we have access to in the demo already, it being the alternative move to water strike. But I'm totally blanking on what it's supposed to be or how to do it. I'm not sure I ever used it.
It's probably just the combo starter for Big Bang. Like when you're in neutral stance not doing anything, press A once.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the vertical vault skill may be more useful to me. At the very least I'd like to have the flexibility. But what I absolutely don't want to give up is the kunai stab, it does a shitload of damage and is fantastic for localized damage too.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

You should be able to pick between all 3 and what one you want on ZL+A and ZL+X.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

I've used Gunlance in 4U and GU (didn't play World/Iceborne). Not an expert, mind you, it was an additional weapon to my main.

What I don't get now is the heating system. In 4U and GU you'd shell and build up heat, and then use Wyvern Fire to lock said heat and increase your power output.
Is this system gone/revamped in Rise? Is it new or a World change I'm unaware of?
That system was removed in World and is still not present here in Rise.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Assuming it's Adept lance, if you choose the perfect block option you don't get a mid-combo ZR+A counter move, which is quite a big downside.

Alright, that's not great. My assumption was Insta-Block worked like the Guard counter - including being able to slot it into or in between triple pokes - just without the ability to hold it, thus requiring more precise timing.

I don't want to live in a lancer world with no mid-combo counter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Having the choice of which abilities to keep and which to ditch if you don't use them is great. So pleased to see Spiral Thrust is back to let lancers really pile on the damage with a wirebug counter in addition to the relatively tame (but still good) standard counters, that was always my favourite Hunter Art.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
So I can just use Wyvern Fire to increase my damage output and don't need to worry about overheating? Does the heat increase damage at all?
Yeah the overheat mechanic was removed. You just have to keep track of the amount of shells you have loaded and remember to reload when you run out (you have a quick reload you can use mid-combo fyi). It eats through sharpness quickly so you'll have to keep track of that as well. Your big explosion attack is also on a long cooldown so you'll only want to use it when you have a big opening. Or be bold and use it whenever!

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Yeah the overheat mechanic was removed. You just have to keep track of the amount of shells you have loaded and remember to reload when you run out (you have a quick reload you can use mid-combo fyi). It eats through sharpness quickly so you'll have to keep track of that as well. Your big explosion attack is also on a long cooldown so you'll only want to use it when you have a big opening. Or be bold and use it whenever!

Thanks! I never liked the heating mechanic anyway.
What's that new blue gauge(?) that turns red, though?

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
That's your wyrmstake cannon which is basically your big combo ending move. You only have one shot with it, but you get it back when you reload.

Try this combo out: X > X > X+A > X > A > X > A

That's just one combo I know of, there are a bunch of others you can experiment with.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably just the combo starter for Big Bang. Like when you're in neutral stance not doing anything, press A once.
Thanks. That was my hunch as well, but I thought I was missing something because that has to be the MOST useless of minor skills out of all weapons. Great sword gets tackle, charge blade gets morph slash, gun lance quick reload as their first option for minor skills and hammer is stuck with that? Like, if I were to get nothing in return, I'd still prefer to get rid of side smash as I could then transition into the big bang combo sooner. What a weird skill. I'm still not sure if I'm misunderstanding something. As it stands, why would anyone pick side smash over water strike? Boggles the mind.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
That's your wyrmstake cannon which is basically your big combo ending move. You only have one shot with it, but you get it back when you reload.

Try this combo out: X > X > X+A > X > A > X > A

That's just one combo I know of, there are a bunch of others you can experiment with.
This is honestly the best way to use it:

X after the ZL+A wirebug counter stance for the slam or A for the fast version of the wyrmstake cannon. Only other way you can use the fast version is after a charged shell.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that overheating/Heat Gauge was ever in 4U. It was a Gen/GU thing and I'm glad it's gone in Rise, Ichinose didn't bring it back.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Any detailed moveset guides for lance you can recommend?
Honestly I don't think any exist for the demo but you can find any old one from world and that will get you like 95% of the way there

As far as stuff that rise has introduced, there is the charged side swipe (press and hold X+A) which is pretty much your most powerful option now when you have the time for it, and your silkbinds. Twin vine is really not very useful in solo play (very fun in multiplayer tho) and anchor rage should be used pretty much all of the time

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 50 minute time limit thing is only in the demo, right?

I was chipping away at the intermediate hunt slowly but surely and ran out of time. :(

All missions has a time limit on MH. There should be an option to explore the maps and fight the monsters at your leisure but hunts needs to be completed under the time limit.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017

I was chipping away at the intermediate hunt slowly but surely and ran out of time. :(
No, the time limit is a staple of the MH series and will always be present in quests, bar some special modes that may or may not exist in Rise. In World for instance, there was a sort of exploration mode where you didn't have a time limit, although monsters could still run away if you took too long.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the datamine, I'm really worried about the hunting horn for one reason:

I fear that the "new" style of play will act as a more "beginner" style, where ultimately it won't be balanced well and the original method of playing songs will be much more powerful overall. I would have been happier if this had been a solid change, and everything about the Hunting Horn would be balanced around the new playstyle...

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

With the appropriate gear, you won't be running into time limit issues until pretty far in the game. By then you'll have more than gotten your money's worth, though of course tackling the difficult endgame is also enjoyable for many people.

Trust me, I suck at this franchise.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
With the appropriate gear, you won't be running into time limit issues until pretty far in the game. By then you'll have more than gotten your money's worth, though of course tackling the difficult endgame is also enjoyable for many people.

Trust me, I suck at this franchise.
Oof. I'm guessing the intermediate hunt in the demo should be doable (within the time limit) for someone with the proper loadout and tactics though... I don't know how close I was to taking it down. It stumbled a few times, but it was hard to tell if it was due to it tripping on its own or my palico and palamute dealing damage.

What I do know is I wasn't seeing the blue mark on the upper right when the clock struck zero.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much, the Mizu in this demo is giving even vets trouble at times and the full game will be different.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Oof. I'm guessing the intermediate hunt in the demo should be doable (within the time limit) for someone with the proper loadout and tactics though... I don't know how close I was to taking it down. It stumbled a few times, but it was hard to tell if it was due to it tripping on its own or my palico and palamute dealing damage.

What I do know is I wasn't seeing the blue mark on the upper right when the clock struck zero.
Mizutsune is definitely not an easy enemy (nor an early one) and the gear (and lack of several items) severely impacts your ability to fight it. Seriously, don't worry about it.

That said even this demo is perfectly doable with some practice. It's just not very representative of the game's experience until pretty late into it. I suck ass and can reliably kill it within about 25 minutes by now without carting (dying). I was carting left and right when the demo came out, to the point of actually failing the quest a few times.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks. That was my hunch as well, but I thought I was missing something because that has to be the MOST useless of minor skills out of all weapons. Great sword gets tackle, charge blade gets morph slash, gun lance quick reload as their first option for minor skills and hammer is stuck with that? Like, if I were to get nothing in return, I'd still prefer to get rid of side smash as I could then transition into the big bang combo sooner. What a weird skill. I'm still not sure if I'm misunderstanding something. As it stands, why would anyone pick side smash over water strike? Boggles the mind.
If I had to make a guess:

The side smash and water strike are both on A.

Dropping the side smash probably locks you out of transitioning into the Big Bang Combo from neutral, requiring alternative paths (like the level 3 spin letting you jump to the fourth hit of the BBC) to get to that big hits.

It'd be a real trade.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's a good weapon for a newbie?

I used Heavy Bow Gun for the demo and it seemed good and being able to keep distance from monsters and that's a positive, I'm just wondering if there are other weapons that may be better.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

I used Heavy Bow Gun for the demo and it seemed good and being able to keep distance from monsters and that's a positive, I'm just wondering if there are other weapons that may be better.
Heavy Bow Gun is a great beginner weapon because the primary thing you need to worry about is positioning and ammo management. The only tihng is that it doesn't play anything like any other weapons (even the Light Bow Gun is very different), so you can learn it like a master while still not understanding a ton about how to use anything else

If you want to expand your repertoire, the Hammer is another excellent, simple-to-understand weapon. Bonk a monster on the head; that's the whole gameplan

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sword and Shield is considered a newbie weapon for some and it could be since you eliminate some of the idionsyncrasies with the MH combat system, namely the need to sheath your weapon to use items. Other will say the Great Sword, since it has very simple controls, but for me is probably one of the hardest since it usually requires a lot of knowledge in how monsters act and move to find the right timing.

My choice is hammer, it was the weapon I got into the series with World.

- Is relatively simple to use, not many combos or complex mechanics
- Has decent mobility, unlike other heavy hitting weapons, which makes it easier to see enemy openings, act to exploit their downtimes and get into the MH combat playstyle.
- Is very satisfying to use
- Just aim for the head, that's about it, no need to take into account other aspects of the game, just smash monsters heads.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sword and Shield is considered a newbie weapon for some and it could be since you eliminate some of the idionsyncrasies with the MH combat system, namely the need to sheath your weapon to use items. Other will say the Great Sword, since it has very simple controls, but for me is probably one of the hardest since it usually requires a lot of knowledge in how monsters act and move to find the right timing.

My choice is hammer, it was the weapon I got into the series with World.

- Is relatively simple to use, not many combos or complex mechanics
- Has decent mobility, unlike other heavy hitting weapons, which makes it easier to see enemy openings, act to exploit their downtimes and get into the MH combat playstyle.
- Is very satisfying to use
- Just aim for the head, that's about it, no need to take into account other aspects of the game, just smash monsters heads.

Best thing about the hammer in this game is the verticality that comes with the wirebug. Smacking an enemy with a hammer on the way down is very, very satisfying.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018

I would say long sword, but because of how important weaving the counters into the gameplay is getting, the weapon is becoming slightly more complex. Still, this was the weapon I learned the game with, and even if you aren't good with counters and things like helm breaker, you can still do fine with this weapon and grow into the more advanced skills.

Another option is dual blades. I used these a lot too when I was starting out.

I'm not sure about hammer as a first weapon as people are saying in this thread. The problem with the larger weapons is that they can be pretty punishing if you get caught mid-animation by an attack. Long sword and dual blades are both pretty fast weapons, so it's not quite as punishing if you make a mistake.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Since you're already used to Heavy Bow Gun's immobility, give Lance a try. The slow movement and reliance on side hopping isn't for everyone, but if you vibe with it, the Lance is a great beginner's weapon. No combos to memorize, so all the brain space can go towards internalizing the fundamentals of positioning. And since you get a shield to hide behind, scouting out a new monster's moves is comfortable, too.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Any suggestions on a new weapon to try out?

I've traditionally really enjoyed the Switch Axe, still do, but I think I need a change. I think the Great Sword feels terrible to play, so that's out. Lances seem really boring. The Charge Blade is interesting, but maybe too complicated for me to be effective.

I'm interested in long range weapons, but they've always felt really repetitive to me, but maybe that's a matter of not playing them correctly. (Bow in particular seems really cool, but I felt like I was just mostly doing the same sets of attacks over and over at a distance without much variation.)