• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Can someone explain to me why some people hate Long Sword users? I never understood it myself tbh.
Maybe from hitting people out of their attacks by swinging wildly?

Personally I just don't find the weapon super interesting when theres weapons like Charge Blade, Hammer, Sword and Shield, LBG, even Great Sword is super interesting with all the new mobility stuff

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Mizutsune was no match for the hammer
Impact Crater all day

Or join us with the way of the Lance, which covers both at once.
Surely the least popular weapon in Rise now that Hunting Horn got so many changes
There are dozens of you I'm sure

I thought switch axe was worse in the tripping department lol

Keep in mind, LS is the most popular weapon and way more popular than SA (which is closer to the middle of the pack). So SA may be worse for tripping but you are constantly playing with LS users in multiplayer

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Having fought Mizu a bunch of times now, I've come to really enjoy the fight. It's well designed, encourages you to use the new mechanics, and Mizu is really well animated.

Plus, as has been stated a bunch, that soundtrack is amazing

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Long Sword users as fellas with shovels. They move around the same way.
And that's how I felt when trying to use one in MH4U.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Can someone explain to me why some people hate Long Sword users? I never understood it myself tbh.
When I had PS+ while playing World, I mained the Hammer almost exclusively

Dual blades and long sword users would see me knock out the monster and then go right for the head, over and over, tripping me out of my Big Bang combo until I conditioned them not to do this by sending them flying into the next zip code every time we got a down

It got to the point where with a new crew I would get a knockdown and wait for any DB or LS users to go for the head, and then send them flying to let them know this was my spot and they needed to attack somewhere else

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Because they constantly knock players out of their attacks. Most notably they always seem to go for the head and knock around Hammer and HH users trying to attack the head. Its mostly just memes with some truth sprinkled in. There are multiple weapons that knock people around but because LS is by far the most popular weapon it always just seems like a LS user problem. Its the burden LS users must carry.

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do you do a regular AED while the shield is charged instead of a SAED? I swear in World it was holding back + X during the during the start of the SAED animation, but I can't get it to come out in this game lol

Oct 25, 2017
Lance is really cool. It's unassuming compared to more bombastic weapons, but it's a very unique play style. Not just in monster Hunter but in general. You dance around the monster, counter it, and poke with much higher accuracy than you'd expect. Behind it's less than flashy exterior is a weapon that'll keep your hands and brain working the whole time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I... think I kinda love the Lance?

I never paid attention to it but I just tried it seriously for the first time and... I like it a lot?
HH and Lance players are kindred spirits. We enjoy what others can't, what they refuse. Enjoy the most misunderstood weapon in the game. Its a good time. Soon you'll be hoping around monsters like you invented the next dance craze with zero downtime on damage and minimum damage taken.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This game giving anyone else some crazy eye strain? World does the same thing to me, I wonder what it is
I thought it was just me. I'm pretty sure I got a migraine recently because of it. Playing in handheld, not sure about docked.
Sounds like you're possibly sensitive to frame pacing issues. I sure am and the demo has been wrecking my eyes. Hopefully they work it out before launch or that rumored Switch Pro is on the horizon. I'd hate to have to wait for the PC version to dive in.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Okay finally killed all three monsters in the same run for both GS and LBG. Going to try and shoot for sub 20 on Mizu but I'm just going to put in my two cents. I'm...split on the changes to the GS, it has a very different rhythm compared to the Draw style from before. It feels like the Draw attack is less emphasized but it also gives you more options to subtly adjust your positioning with the tackle move or even rotating slightly to get a better angle. Like I said, I don't love it, but I also don't hate it. I'm so right down the middle with this new approach to the GS. I appreciate these options but I also miss how simple and more fundamental the older GS was. I'm probably having an 'Old man yells at cloud' moment but its how I feel about it.

The Wirebug stuff however, gives the entire combat system we've all come to know and love a fresh new extra layer. Here the Wirebug gives you a lot of options to stay mobile but also has more risk/reward factored in. You can't do it all willy-nilly because there's a high likelihood that you will get smacked out of the air if you're not careful. In addition you could also lose Wirebug charges which could've been used to air tech away to safety instead or in the GS's case get a buff/auto-sheathe/reposition instead. The cooldowns can also vary depending on how you use them which I really like. The GS's ZL+X move is this big all or nothing jumping slash that can close the distance and dish out a quick aerial charge into the super swing but if you get knocked out of the air or roared at, both of your charges are now gone and you have to wait for one to recharge before the other even starts to refill. And if you completely whiff that initial jump slash, god help you, you are stuck there for what feels like an eternity without an extra Wirebug.

The LBG is a dream come true. The precision of gyro controls combined with the mobility of the Wirebugs makes for an addicting new experience. It feels like almost like a character action third person shooter. Not having to wait for Rathian to land after the tail swipe and instead taking the fight to them with the Cluster bombs and knocking them out of the sky is an incredible sensation. And the mine adds an extra new mechanic to dish out even more damage. I'm really eager to see what other fun ammo types and loadouts the other weapons will offer. I still need more practice with it since I get the buttons confused a lot and keep accidentally placing a mine at my feet when the monster runs away. But as it stands right now, I'm really satisfied with the amount of depth and tech that I've seen for the LBG this time around. It's like a whole new experience.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Okay finally killed all three monsters in the same run for both GS and LBG. Going to try and shoot for sub 20 on Mizu but I'm just going to put in my two cents. I'm...split on the changes to the GS, it has a very different rhythm compared to the Draw style from before. It feels like the Draw attack is less emphasized but it also gives you more options to subtly adjust your positioning with the tackle move or even rotating slightly to get a better angle. Like I said, I don't love it, but I also don't hate it. I'm so right down the middle with this new approach to the GS. I appreciate these options but I also miss how simple and more fundamental the older GS was. I'm probably having an 'Old man yells at cloud' moment but its how I feel about it.

GS playstyle is very controversial in general. There are those that just want to draw (like me) and those that like the new style. I still play the new style, but ideally, there are some great armor skills that allow us to play draw style in Rise.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat mizutsune with dual blades and long sword, but could only do dual blades with friends on online. It feels good to play,but it does too little damage to take out a monster with so much hp i found. With the long sword he took me 25 minutes. Both weapons feel great to play, and i want to try more, but i only have 8 tries left, so its not gonna be possible. Should see how lance goes.

So far tho, this game is amazing. My first time playing monster hunter when it launches, very excited.

You can reset your tries by erasing the save data for the demo.

Also, if you need, you can gather the spiribirds from around the map for increased power. But dual blades in general shine with elemental weapons more than anything, so you'll have to keep that in mind for the full game.

Other than that, you reallllyyyy need to keep on the monster, stay in Demon/Archdemon mode as long as possible... and the new special move - the ZL + X is extremely useful for racking up damage in the demo.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sounds like you're possibly sensitive to frame pacing issues. I sure am and the demo has been wrecking my eyes. Hopefully they work it out before launch or that rumored Switch Pro is on the horizon. I'd hate to have to wait for the PC version to dive in.
Aw dang, I didn't know that could cause eye strain. I will research that a bit then, because I thought it may be the hit effects or whatever filters they're using but similar games aren't nearly as bad so, that's probably the ticket thank you

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Beat all three of them with 9 minutes to spare, not too bad considering Rathian ran away again like 7 or 8 times, damn coward.

Hammer is definitely super fun in a game that lets you launch yourself into the air at any time. Impact crater is just so satisfying.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Killed both Arzuros and G.izuchi with Lance now, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of the moveset. I saw some stuff in Gaijinhunter's video I have no idea how to do.

I will probably try killing Rathian tomorrow.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
The LBG is a dream come true. The precision of gyro controls combined with the mobility of the Wirebugs makes for an addicting new experience. It feels like almost like a character action third person shooter. Not having to wait for Rathian to land after the tail swipe and instead taking the fight to them with the Cluster bombs and knocking them out of the sky is an incredible sensation. And the mine adds an extra new mechanic to dish out even more damage. I'm really eager to see what other fun ammo types and loadouts the other weapons will offer. I still need more practice with it since I get the buttons confused a lot and keep accidentally placing a mine at my feet when the monster runs away. But as it stands right now, I'm really satisfied with the amount of depth and tech that I've seen for the LBG this time around. It's like a whole new experience.

YES. The LBG in the demo is some of the most fun I have ever had as a Gunner. There is always some trick you can pull out of your sleeve to mobilize, harass, or lock down a monster. It's like what having a Hunter as a guest character in DMC or Vanquish would be like. I want to step away from the LBG at some point to explore the new HBG and GS, but it's gonna be real hard. It's just so fun and natural, I'm enthralled.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Beat all three of them with 9 minutes to spare, not too bad considering Rathian ran away again like 7 or 8 times, damn coward.

Hammer is definitely super fun in a game that lets you launch yourself into the air at any time. Impact crater is just so satisfying.
I just did the same thing with the Hammer, with about the same amount of time to spare

I might try out a few more weapons just to get a feel for them—I like the gunlance, heavy bowgun, and switchaxe from World—but I think this might be a good point for me to put a pin in this demo. A big part of what makes Monster Hunter so appealing is building new armor and weapons, and a demo that doesn't have that... gotta wait

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Monster Hunter newbie trying out the demo... I have questions, and they're all probably dumb. But if anyone can help clarify, it would be appreciated...

I was doing the beginner mission and in the process of trying to take down the target monster, I got knocked out. When I was back in control at the camp, it seemed like my stamina meter was smaller and my character kept talking about being hungry. Is there something I'm supposed to do?

During the hunt, I felt like it was tricky to target enemies. Does the game have any sort of lock-on/tracking so I don't keep whiffing attacks against semi-nimble foes?

Those questions aside, I dig what I've played so far. The game looks very good in portable mode, and the presentation is top notch. I was actually taken aback by the girl singing on the title screen. Nice touch.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing the beginner mission and in the process of trying to take down the target monster, I got knocked out. When I was back in control at the camp, it seemed like my stamina meter was smaller and my character kept talking about being hungry. Is there something I'm supposed to do

Eat rations you get from the box at the start of a mission or well done steak.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter newbie trying out the demo... I have questions, and they're all probably dumb. But if anyone can help clarify, it would be appreciated...

I was doing the beginner mission and in the process of trying to take down the target monster, I got knocked out. When I was back in control at the camp, it seemed like my stamina meter was smaller and my character kept talking about being hungry. Is there something I'm supposed to do?

During the hunt, I felt like it was tricky to target enemies. Does the game have any sort of lock-on/tracking so I don't keep whiffing attacks against semi-nimble foes?

Those questions aside, I dig what I've played so far. The game looks very good in portable mode, and the presentation is top notch. I was actually taken aback by the girl singing on the title screen. Nice touch.

Try to eat steaks to have your stamina at reasonable levels

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts

Your total stamina decreases over time, and you have to eat to bring it back up. The EZ Rations from the box at camp will recover a little bit, but a Well-Done Steak will fully recharge it. You can also cook meat using the BBQ Spit item if you carve up some of the smaller monsters (the goofy birds, the deer, and the catfish). Cooking has a quick little mini-game which nets you more steaks, though you probably won't need to do this.

You can press on the Right Stick to lock on to a large monster, and press L to make the camera shift to them. There is also a setting in the options to force the camera to lock onto the large monster you're targeting. You can find that setting by going through:
Menu > Options > Camera > Camera Style > [Focus Camera]
With that going, you'll have to press on the R stick again to switch between monsters or not target anything.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I think I've tentatively settled on HH/DB/LBG for my Rise mains. Maaybe Hammer too? Damn so many weapons are fun in this game.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

Don't worry--there's no such thing as dumb questions when it comes to Monster Hunter newbies, especially when it comes to the demos!

The others touched on this already re: stamina with the rations and well-done steaks, but I'll also mention that the stamina cap decreasing wasn't a function of you being knocked out; it's something that naturally occurs over time as any hunt goes on, it's another resource that needs to be managed, though not a particularly intrusive one--normally the stamina decay rate is fairly low and is something you can take care of while the monster you're fighting changes zones. Keeping weapons sharpened is a bit the same way.

As for lock-on, if you click the right-stick, it'll cycle through the large monsters that exist on the field for that hunt. If you're in the same zone as that monster you'll the the portrait is no longer grayed out. If you're indeed in the zone with the monster, tapping (yes just a quick tap, since holding L is how you access item-swapping) L will point the camera at the monster. If you don't have anything selected to target or that monster is out of the zone, tapping L will instead center the camera behind your character based on the direction they're facing. There are also some options available if you dig through them a bit if you want, like, the ability for the game to automatically re-center the camera around target-monsters, though I think the default to do it manually is probably best so you know for sure when and where your camera's gonna be going.

Good luck, and hope you're having fun with the demo!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I tried Gunlance for the first time in my MH career. Holy hell it's my new favorite. Any others in here? And tips?
I've been playing Gunlance for awhile in my MH career. Just gonna repost what I wrote to someone else in this thread.

"Gunlance is a very unique weapon where as there are long shell, wide shell, or normal shell type Gunlances. Depending on which one you're using, kinda dictates which combo you should focus on. The one in the demo is a normal type, which gives you lots of shells to use before reloading. There's a burst attack that unloads all of the shells at once, which with a normal type, holds a lot of shells which means loads of damage! So in order to unleash this in the most efficient way, use X + A (upwards swing), X (slams down your swing), A (blows all the shells of at once). Remember to reload the Gunlance afterwards. Anyway there's so much more to it, and using little blasts or little pokes, or the big Wyvern shot are all part of the game plan too. But try that basic bread and butter combo when you can."

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I tried Gunlance for the first time in my MH career. Holy hell it's my new favorite. Any others in here? And tips?
The activation frames for the guarding wirebug move is incredibly early. When your character puts their shield up, the window is basically over, but it's fantastic to use because it lets you restore sharpness (which the gunlance just chews through) and give 'em a good old slap for their trouble

I'm not a huge fan of the other wirebug special but others might have a better idea about how to use it

Nov 4, 2017
I've been playing Gunlance for awhile in my MH career. Just gonna repost what I wrote to someone else in this thread.

"Gunlance is a very unique weapon where as there are long shell, wide shell, or normal shell type Gunlances. Depending on which one you're using, kinda dictates which combo you should focus on. The one in the demo is a normal type, which gives you lots of shells to use before reloading. There's a burst attack that unloads all of the shells at once, which with a normal type, holds a lot of shells which means loads of damage! So in order to unleash this in the most efficient way, use X + A (upwards swing), X (slams down your swing), A (blows all the shells of at once). Remember to reload the Gunlance afterwards. Anyway there's so much more to it, and using little blasts or little pokes, or the big Wyvern shot are all part of the game plan too. But try that basic bread and butter combo when you can."
Thanks! Wasn't aware of the different shells, will be handy for the full game. I will say using the silkbind to launch in the air, then blasting to propel myself even further upward was...a blast.

The activation frames for the guarding wirebug move is incredibly early. When your character puts their shield up, the window is basically over, but it's fantastic to use because it lets you restore sharpness (which the gunlance just chews through) and give 'em a good old slap for their trouble

I'm not a huge fan of the other wirebug special but others might have a better idea about how to use it
Thanks for the tip; I was having trouble pulling off the guard silkbind so this will help.

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to mount a monster more than once? Seems like after the first mount, no matter how much mount damage I do the prompt doesn't come up again.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Is it possible to mount a monster more than once? Seems like after the first mount, no matter how much mount damage I do the prompt doesn't come up again.
It's technically possible, and it's actually probable in the demo because I believe there are pre-programmed instances where the demo essentially gives you a monster to mount after a Turf War. Or it might just be that Turf Wars always lead to one monster being put into a mountable state.

Regardless, the Turf War interaction is separate from any mounting attempts you make, so if you get a mount on Izuchi, for example, and Izuchi then gets into a Turf War with Mizu, you'd be able to get another mount on Izuchi once it loses the Turf War. This also works if your first mount of Izuchi was also from a Turf War (against Rathian, in this case) However, it is nearly impossible to get a second mount without this though (but still technically possible)

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The demo is super fun and I really hope that there's cross progression if it comes to PC. Still need to learn the wirebug movesets though; timing seems difficult.

Oct 26, 2017
I finally killed bubble dragon on probably my tenth try. Why can't this game cone out sooner. I thought I'd play more but I might burn myself out fighting the same monsters.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I expect to play a lot of GL this time as well, been playing it off and on since 3U and I too am really feeling it. Hold A until you flash red and then release to do a charged shot--normally pretty pointless with a normal shot type gunlance, but after one if you press back and A you do a fast version of the wyrmstake cannon that's much, much easier to safely get away with than doing it most other ways. While you're charging a shell, you can change your aim up and down with the stick or keep holding A and press B to cancel it with an evade. You can cancel the swing of the run-in upswing (forward+X) with a shell or charged shell.

In this demo, since we have a normal type gunlance which gets a bonus to full burst damage, I've been doing a lot of forward X (run-in upswing) -> X+A (slam) -> A (full burst). Or X+A (standing upswing) -> X (slam) -> A (full burst). After the full burst you can press X to wide swing, ZR+A to quick reload all shells, then X+A again to do another slam and so on. Wyrmstake cannoning after a wide swing is also a decent option. Use ZL+A to counter an attack and press X afterward to slam or I believe A to do the fast wyrmstake cannon. Generally I prefer the wyrmstake followup since it's the fast version. By canceling other moves' end lag, getting you into a blocking state immediately, restoring sharpness, and giving you access to very strong followup moves, the wirebug counter is a very important move to get used to using. Like Adept lance and gunlance counters in Gen, you can also aim your counterattack in any direction regardless of which way you were facing when you blocked.

After a wirebug jump you can press ZR to midair shell and A to continue shelling. You can also do charged shells in midair, and if you land with one you can follow up with the fast wyrmstake cannon. You can also full burst in midair, which is ZR+A after a midair shell IIRC. Closing distance with GL will be an annoyance without access to blast dash yet, the best thing I think there is to do is just sheathe, close distance with a wirebug jump, then quickly midair shell -> full burst. If you have time you can follow up with wide swing and then wyrmstake or just reload. The last thing I can think to mention is you can cancel the ZL+X wirebug move midair with shells which can be nice if you suddenly find yourself needing to get out of the way of an attack you misread.

So basically, the plan is to spam wyrmstake cannon and full burst as much as is safely possible. lol

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan

Welcome to the club!
The important thing to remember with the Gunlance is that, no matter what you do, you will ALWAYS look like a bad-ass.
It's the connoisseur's weapon ;)

Apart from your bread & butter combo brokeaustronaut posted above, Wyvern's Fire does a crazy amount of damage, and your Wirebug special reduces the cooldown, so spam away. Being able to recover sharpness with the other special is a nice boon too.
It also has the distinct advantage that it does both regular melee/thrust damage (with the lance) and piercing damage (with the gun) so it's great against monsters/parts with thick hides as well, and you don't have to worry about sharpness too much.

AND it has a shield, so you've got great defense too!
The only area where it suffers is mobility, so you're going to have to get used to side-stepping instead of dodge-rolling.