• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fine. There's really no reason to worry about time unless you're a speedrunner or are frequently timing out of hunts.

Well I'm still trying to take out all three in one go in the intermediate mission and can't QUITE get there. Rathian is more annoying than difficult, he just flies away too often. Great Izuchi takes like 2 minutes with the hammer.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys. Is it just me or does stunning not happen as much? I haven't gotten stunned once yet, and there were plenty of times when I got smacked twice I was like "oh here comes the stun" but nope.
Take into account that this is possibly a change, but it could also be a demo thing for whatever reason...

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So uhhhhhhhh, I tried the Switch Axe and I killed Misuzune on my very first try of the weapon, that was my 2nd kill of Mizu after several IG attempts and multiple attemptes with other weapons, guess it's making the short list for my main weapon...

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm still trying to take out all three in one go in the intermediate mission and can't QUITE get there. Rathian is more annoying than difficult, he just flies away too often. Great Izuchi takes like 2 minutes with the hammer.
Rathian gets bullied by hammer more than practically anything else I can think of. There's opportunity after opportunity to slam her incredibly weak head with strong moves, and it takes fewer hits to KO her than most other monsters. It certainly seems like they made her spam tail flips more in this game, but they're no obstacle to landing hits on her head either, even while she's still midair let alone the incredible vulnerability when she lands.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I beat mizutsune with dual blades and long sword, but could only do dual blades with friends on online. It feels good to play,but it does too little damage to take out a monster with so much hp i found. With the long sword he took me 25 minutes. Both weapons feel great to play, and i want to try more, but i only have 8 tries left, so its not gonna be possible. Should see how lance goes.

So far tho, this game is amazing. My first time playing monster hunter when it launches, very excited.
Yea, the dual blades they gave us in the demo are kind of underpowered. I'm sure a proper build with the right weapon will make them just as OP as ever in the main game, though!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rathian doesn't fly that much in the grand scheme of things. Just wait until you meet her male counterpart.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Are people liking this more than MHW?
After like 600+ hours with World Im feeling pretty confident that I'll like Rise even more. The wirebug is already so much better than the clutch claw and that's huge for me because I HATE the clutch claw. As a Hunting Horn main I am loving the new HH and with the high possibility that the old HH style is still in the game I got nothing to worry about if I get tired of the new version. And while I really liked Worlds visuals and levels I was sick of the Ancient Forest and other tight areas in the other levels. Im glad we are going back to more open maps and really like the freedom of traversal here in Rise.

Another thing is the monsters currently revealed. Despite loving a lot of Worlds monsters they weren't nearly as good as 4th gens to me. The new monsters revealed look freakin' awesome! Tetranadon, Great Izuchi, Magnamalo, Somnicanth, GOSS HARAG, etc. They're all winners so far. There also wasn't a lot in base World. I think it launched with like 30? While I get that it was a Monster Hunter built from the ground up for HD systems it was still kinda lame there were so little compared to past entries. Obviously we don't know the full roster of monsters in Rise but considering we have already seen like 23 of the large monsters before launch I would say the chances are high that Rise will have more than World did at launch by a pretty good amount. More monsters is always a good thing, especially with how much the new ones hit so far. More monsters also mean more armor and weapons, and in regards to weapons its looking like they aren't making the same mistake with World and got rid of the bone and iron weapon bullshit. That and they are re-embracing the more goofy/ridiculous side of MH again. I love Worlds aesthetic but there was a bit lost between it and past MH games for me.

Im not feeling the hype like I did for World but I know when I get it in my hands Ill be putting far more hours into it than I did with World. Helps that its on a handheld so bed time sessions will happen often.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
Nah I have hundreds of hours in the series already and know my limitations.
And I have thousands, so as I said, just a little more practice. :^) But really, if you can't be arsed, you can't be arsed haha. That's perfectly fine, it is supposed to be fun after all.
So uhhhhhhhh, I tried the Switch Axe and I killed Misuzune on my very first try of the weapon, that was my 2nd kill of Mizu after several IG attempts and multiple attemptes with other weapons, guess it's making the short list for my main weapon...
It is a good feeling when it clicks. I came into World maining lance almost every game previously and one fateful day I gave hammer a try...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it's almost certainly in. It's armor fits the visual theme of the game and it's skeleton is already in the game thanks to Tobi-Kadachi.
^ There's no way they're gonna leave a japan-inspired doggo out of the Japan-inspired Monster Hunter game where you ALSO have doggos as companions.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Rathian gets bullied by hammer more than practically anything else I can think of. There's opportunity after opportunity to slam her incredibly weak head with strong moves, and it takes fewer hits to KO her than most other monsters. It certainly seems like they made her spam tail flips more in this game, but they're no obstacle to landing hits on her head either, even while she's still midair let alone the incredible vulnerability when she lands.

Hmm maybe I need to be a bit more aggressive then.

Also I had been trying to sever the tail which I learned was futile a few pages back so maybe not doing that would help.

Rathian doesn't fly that much in the grand scheme of things. Just wait until you meet her male counterpart.

Maybe I've gotten unlucky but she seems to flee in this demo way more often than Mizu or GI.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing about cutting off tails. What do tails do?
It reduces the range on attacks involving the tails. You can also carve the part you cut off which gives you a high chance at getting items like monster tails for crafting and generally gives you another shot at getting the monster's rare drop.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I somehow completed the demo 3 times lol. I think I'll stop there.

Overall I'm loving Rise. The wirebugs have spoiled me in terms of mobility. And I will main LS, CB, IG, HH and potentially Gun Lance.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The demos (and the game as a whole, really) are definitely intimidating from an aspect of the way it just chucks a ton of stuff at you in terms of the vast array of items, the particular nature of the combat mechanics, and the nuances of each weapon's moveset, but as long as you're already having some fun with the core of the combat and have a bit of patience, the rest of the stuff will all eventually fall into place and a lot of it becomes second-nature through repetition. Plus the sense of progression from hunting and using those materials to improve your arsenal is a big part of the appeal, and that's something fairly personal and that the demo can't really provide.
...A willingness to read helps, too. Item descriptions and the various tutorials that pop up are all full of useful information, but I think the sheer amount of text gets either boring or intimidating so a lot of people tend to skip over explanations and then wonder later why they don't understand how certain things work.

yeah I'm worried about my friends mostly. It's a big ask to get them to try and learn. And I'm also playing with ppl that don't really mess with action games so learning to control the camera is a hurdle in itself.

But yeah the big takeaway is we had a lot of fun, and they were asking questions and pretty active.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm maybe I need to be a bit more aggressive then.

Also I had been trying to sever the tail which I learned was futile a few pages back so maybe not doing that would help.

Maybe I've gotten unlucky but she seems to flee in this demo way more often than Mizu or GI.
Focus the head. Become one with the head. The way of bonk demands it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that sounds neat. So it's probably a good idea to learn a few different weapons? Are some monsters easier with specific weapons?
Yes, some monsters have unfavorable weakpoints for certain weapons, and some monsters even favor long-range options like the guns and bow.

edit - but you can beat every monster with every weapon no problem, unless we're talking about a certain Piscine from older games....

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that sounds neat. So it's probably a good idea to learn a few different weapons? Are some monsters easier with specific weapons?
Some monsters are easier with specific weapons, yeah. For example the monster that the hunting horn in the demo comes from is much easier with ranged weapons than with melee.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah. In a team of hunters you'll often see people swap weapons to make sure you've got something that can carve the tail as well as the heavy ones for knocking it out, and generally a veteran team will look to break all monster parts that can be broken as they can give extra mats through subquests as well as tail carves. The tails are unique in that they exist on the field after being chopped off and can be carved. As well as reducing the range of tail attacks, breaking parts can also shut down related monster moves (like Rathian's poison tail spike) etc, so it's always worth doing if you can. This game seems to flag up as an alert when parts are broken as well as showing on the monster so that's cool, in the past it was more through seeing what the subquests were or seeing damage represented on the monster etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it in single player to the point that you need to learn weapons you don't want to though. If you play online it's easy enough to get a room with people to break heads or cut tails for you, I've gone through entire games just using the lance and there's always dozens of weapon options that don't need specific drops requiring slash/heavy weapons.

dwix85

Nov 15, 2017
So, is this a good first MH to get into?
Definitely. As far as we know, tons of quality of life improvements that were desperately needed from MH: World + some great updates to various game mechanics.

I would say that there is still a lot left unexplained by the game so I'd recommend watching some tutorial videos from YouTube folks like Arekkz and gaijinhunter. They do a great job explaining the combat and general game mechanics that would help anyone new to the series.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest wish for MH was for status to get reworked to actually be worth a damn. Some sort of passive effect before the meter fills and the ultimate effect applies. Like sleep knocking a monster out of rage mode, or para slowing their movement speed.

We haven't seen anything related to balance stuff yet have we?

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
So what's the difference between wall slamming a monster 3 times versus slamming it into another monster?

Does the monster stay downed longer from one or the other?

I know slamming it into another monster will make it so I can mount that monster, right? Can I then just slam it back into the first monster to mount it a second time? I assume not...would be OP? Is it more just meant for you to mount the other monster, and wail on the target monster to do the limit break thing?

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mizutsune's tail can be cut off? Iiiinteresting... That would make it much less threatening

It doesn't lol, it's purely cosmetic and for the feeling of dominating the monster. Unlike some other monsters like Rathian where you might benefit from less range after cutting the tail, Mizu's cut portion is like trimming a fingernail.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So what's the difference between wall slamming a monster 3 times versus slamming it into another monster?

Does the monster stay downed longer from one or the other?

I know slamming it into another monster will make it so I can mount that monster, right? Can I then just slam it back into the first monster to mount it a second time? I assume not...would be OP? Is it more just meant for you to mount the other monster, and wail on the target monster to do the limit break thing?
Yeah the main point of that is to switch monsters and attack the one you were originally riding. The time a monster is disabled is much longer when they get hit with the mounted punisher as compared to wall slamming. And you reason you can't jump back and fourth between mounts is because the threshold for the second mount is huge and/or possibly just on a really long timer. You really have to focus on it to get a second ride on the same monster

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Finally killed all three monsters in the Mizu quest in 40 minutes. Fainted twice out of greed.

First one Mizu was already limping and I was out of potions. But surely I can kill him quickly, right?

Wrong.

But surely I can just skip restocking on potions, ride over there and finish him off, right?

Wrong again.

Don't get greedy, kids.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Not sure if its widely known, but I figured out that after a launching wirebug jump, you can hit B to get an extra little flip in the air, which you can use to change direction, dodge, etc. Its also amazing with weapons like the greatsword, as it makes it way easier to land that charged aerial slam move when you can reposition in midair, and also change the direction of the slash as well. Its pretty easy to hit the head most of the time even with mitsu.

I also just discovered (thanks to Gaijin Hunter) that the light bowgun is badass as hell.
Jumping over monsters and planting that gas thing on them, and then using Piercing ammo to light them up like the 4th of July feels amazing. And then spread ammo right up in their face when that runs out. So much fun

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
The new hunting horn is fucking crazy ya'll wow, gonna have to wait for the pc version tho the jaggies are hurting my eyes