• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
LOL

Imagine if this kind of stuff got popular enough for devs to actually accommodate it

The first DLC will include the ability to throw barrel bombs from the back of a palamute and introduce the new target-seeking red and blue barrels.

Who's to say there aren't some kind of time trials in the final game?

New type of egg delivery quest. The eggs don't break but have to delivered within a certain time frame before they go bad or hatch.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I have a question about the insect glaive.
I've seen that by marking the monster with ZL + ZR you can set a spot for the kinsect to go after and collect buffs, which I've been doing, but I've also read it's supposed to make the kinsect create clouds that you can attack for burst damage... and that doesn't seem to be happening? Is it just some thing to do with the specific kinsect in this armor set or am I doing something wrong or just not noticing something?
As of this moment your kinsect does nothing but get extracts, marking just makes it easier for tough spots so it goes straight to that part of the monster, next demo will probably also have a base kinsect so we gotta wait until full game releases to know if kinsects do something more like it says on the weapon description ingame: Autoattacking and leaving clouds.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I still remember the first time I saw some perfectly executed sleep bomber runs for 4/4G/4U on nico, years back.

Shit changed my life, as far as my awareness of just how different they play the game over there. And still do.
I remember discovering MAD videos with MH4U and other crazy speed runs lol.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yup. Basically, they're implemented the same gyro behavior for the controller and handheld in using the roll axis for horizontal movement (which is the norm for controllers, but for devices with a screen the yaw axis - tilt - is the norm).

Seems like an easy to fix oversight, but I have no idea where to submit feedback atm.
Idk if it's appropriate or not but there's a spot for feedback and the end of this digital event survey thing. Hopefully we get the option to change it at least because I've played too much splatoon for my muscle memory to learn any other way at this point lol

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

More like Assassin Mantle looks like the Khezu armour

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Speaking of IG, I finally decided to try it again and managed to kill Mizu in 18 minutes. Despite being weaker, I had more fun due to being the air and combos on the ground. Plus, I healed way less with IG as I could easily avoid most of the attacks.

And then I find out that as long as you have stamina, you can be in the air all the time lol.

Main disappointment is that the silkbind skills in the demo for IG suck. I haven't used them at all and used the wirebug to get out of danger instead.

Regardless, I think I finally decided my mains:

Long Sword
Charge Blade
Insect Glaive
Hunting Horn
In case you weren't aware, one of the Silkbind moves with the IG, the one that leaps away, also heals you when the kinsect connects. It's a pretty great way to get some extra heals in.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.
Treat it like a fighting game. Observe the paterns of the monster, the little telegraph before he does a big move.

At least that's how I learned to love MH

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Finally killed Mizutsune for the first time with my newbie friend! We used a combination of Hunting Horn and Hammer. We killed it in like 20 minutes after 4 tries :D

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Mizu feels like a strange choice for a demo monster; it's definitely a cut above the usual first skill checks in the series like Anjananth, and it feels like our equipment is as good as it would be when encountering Mizu in the course of normal gameplay. At the very least, it's underspecialized; IG getting slow as hell bugs and the lance weapons not having guard and the bowguns not having all the ammo you'd expect to have access to. I'm a little worried new players are going to get a false impression of how hard the game is.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mizu feels like a strange choice for a demo monster; it's definitely a cut above the usual first skill checks in the series like Anjananth, and it feels like our equipment is as good as it would be when encountering Mizu in the course of normal gameplay. At the very least, it's underspecialized; IG getting slow as hell bugs and the lance weapons not having guard and the bowguns not having all the ammo you'd expect to have access to. I'm a little worried new players are going to get a false impression of how hard the game is.
Yeah, I feel like they should have at least started the Hunter with a larger health bar in this as by mid-game nobody is heading out without eating a meal, as the money is a pittance by that point. As it stands, by the time a new player is hit with waterblight, they are only a hit or two away from KO.

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to get my SO to play it but unfortunately she didn't like it. She played HH Bow Light Bowgun and just couldn't get into it. She likes the monsters and running around the environments but hates theres no z targeting like in Zelda. I can't wait for the full game to come out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like they should have at least started the Hunter with a larger health bar in this as by mid-game nobody is heading out without eating a meal, as the money is a pittance by that point. As it stands, by the time a new player is hit with waterblight, they are only a hit or two away from KO.
it might be to motivate the player to hunt down spiribirds and explore the map for other endemic life.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
That's how every demo is pretty much. As someone who had never touched the series before, Plesioth in the 3U demo felt utterly impossible. Wish they'd make it just a bit more explicitly clear that the Mizutsune fight is meant for Monster Hunter veterans and not meant to be an "intermediate" challenge for someone with no familiarity with the series.

Do we even know for sure if cooking boosts your health and stamina anymore? I can see them going for a system where if you upgrade your Petalace enough by end game you only need one or two spiribirds to max out health and stamina meters.

I tried to get my SO to play it but unfortunately she didn't like it. She played HH Bow Light Bowgun and just couldn't get into it. She likes the monsters and running around the environments but hates theres no z targeting like in Zelda. I can't wait for the full game to come out.
I don't remember if I saw this in the options when I went through them, but World had an option that replaced the traditional Monster Hunter target cam with lock-on, so it should have carried over to Rise.

Oct 25, 2017

He does feel like a weird choice. When they debuted him I was expecting it to be a later monster akin to an Elder Dragon.

I've gotten a couple of kills on it, but it does somewhat feel like a struggle due to how hard it can hit sometimes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do we even know for sure if cooking boosts your health and stamina anymore? I can see them going for a system where if you upgrade your Petalace enough by end game you only need one or two spiribirds to max out health and stamina meters.
Yeah, fair point, we don't know enough about the petalace or cooking in this game to call it so I shall concede the point! Maybe cooking is now more for elemental defence/attack boosts etc, who knows. I just can't wait to find out more, I find something new every time I mess with the demo.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is there isn't a third monster in between izuchi and mizu. Mizu is technically "intermediate" by the full games standards, but not by the demo's. Izuchi is a huge push over so the difference between the two is pretty staggering.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
He does feel like a weird choice. When they debuted him I was expecting it to be a later monster akin to an Elder Dragon.

I've gotten a couple of kills on it, but it does somewhat feel like a struggle due to how hard it can hit sometimes.
Well I'd expect monsters to hit harder given the game barely punishes you anymore for getting hit:

• Basically no stun anymore, you're free to get your face smashed hard twice in a row one right after another without nearly auto-dying to stun
  • Wirebug recovery option for getting out of dicey situations after getting hit, or getting back into battle instantly, or getting those potions or antidotes out immediately rather than needing to even sheathe
  • World had potions heal over time, and especially slowly when you first begin drinking, to balance out the fact that you can run while drinking and there's no flex, but now potions heal like half instantly and the rest over time
At this point I guess I should be surprised they haven't massively nerfed elemental blights somehow.

"What do you mean Intermediate? I was a flagship monster. I was Fated Four."
"Sure grandma let's get you to bed."
Even though it's called intermediate it still has a lot of new tricks. The sliding/strafing beam, the double spin beam sweep, and the fact that bubbles actually impede you instead of being a strictly comical effect that makes you back off for a bit.

I think the problem is there isn't a third monster in between izuchi and mizu. Mizu is technically "intermediate" by the full games standards, but not by the demo's. Izuchi is a huge push over so the difference between the two is pretty staggering.
I'd say there is, in Rathian. Much easier monster to learn and understand than Mizu IMO.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good point. Something like Ludroth, Barroth or even just rathian would be cool (although the latter is so old as to not be particularly exciting for vets any more). Mizu fits the 'waterlogged shrine ruins' theme really well though, and is a visually impressive fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I think a confusing thing is the armor you are given kinda makes the placement of Mizu in the final roster a bit confusing. Some of the armor looks like end game stuff (Dual Blades, Charge Blade, Great Sword)

I think the Great Sword armor is Goss Harang

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
In the past we always had three monsters in the demos, who knows why they decided this way. Like, Gen U demo had the Valstrax, that was actually hard af

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
As a hammer main, I'm so fucking happy with the hammer in rise.
I've tested several weapons, but hammer feels right. Just beat the Mizutsune quest with all 3 monsters dead.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Also I think a confusing thing is the armor you are given kinda makes the placement of Mizu in the final roster a bit confusing. Some of the armor looks like end game stuff (Dual Blades, Charge Blade, Great Sword)

If we're going with the assumption that the areas are in the order they've been revealed to us, Dual Blades are probably an early game-ish armor, since it comes from Somnacanth, who's in the Flooded Forest. Great Sword is definitely Goss Harag, Charge Blade is the spider from the first trailer who's in an area we haven't seen yet, so possibly an even later game monster, and we still haven't seen the monster that gives us the Switch Axe armor

Regardless, I'm fairly sure the armor is just for aesthetics and the stats are set separate from them. For example, Somnacanth should give sleep weapons in the main game, which they aren't in the demo.

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going with the assumption that the areas are in the order they've been revealed to us, Dual Blades are probably an early game-ish armor, since it comes from Somnacanth, who's in the Flooded Forest. Great Sword is definitely Goss Harag, Charge Blade is the spider from the first trailer who's in an area we haven't seen yet, so possibly an even later game monster, and we still haven't seen the monster that gives us the Switch Axe armor

Regardless, I'm fairly sure the armor is just for aesthetics and the stats are set separate from them. For example, Somnacanth should give sleep weapons in the main game, which they aren't in the demo.

True. I remember playing World and seeing Legiana armor going "holy shit" and then grinding Legiana to get it only to read "hey grind in high rank, low rank is wasting your time"

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They are a series staple so (un)fortunately they will be back. Egg delivery is a massive pain in the ass when you're playing solo but with at least one companion, they can be huge fun.
No egg delivery quests please.

And if they do come back, no magical boulders this time.

Actually you can pick up a Gargwa Egg/Rathian Egg out of her nest and carry it.
I saw a prompt when i picked one up that said something about being able to use the wirebugs while you're carrying it which should hopefully make for somewhat quicker deliveries. Maybe even faster if you have a Palamute?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but given how new players are reacting to mizu, they'd probably be better off giving Rathian its own quest as "intermediate" and mizu as "advanced".

People tend to take things at face value, after all.
I assume the advanced quest will be Magnamalo. I'd prefer if they just make it a bit clearer that the Mizu quest is for people who are experienced at the game. Hopefully most people are getting the sense that there's a lot to this game given to you up front in the demo, and from the tutorial quests they get the sense that the game will help them ease into it.

I don't think you can make too many assumptions about when you get armor based on its appearance. This is low-rank armor from a monster at Mizutsune's level.

image.png

The Generations Ultimate demo gave you everything from Great Maccao to Hellblade Glavenus armor so who knows lol

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Not sure if it has been discussed/confirmed somewhere but has there been any mentioning about the environment traps that they introduced in MHW? There seems to shit ton of breakable stuff everywhere in the demo level which would indicate that something similar might be coming back in some fashion..?

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
you can get something like Z-Targeting style play if you go into the options:
Menu > Options > Camera > Camera Style > [Focus Camera]
will make the camera lock on to whichever monster you're targeting, though you still have to press on the R stick to switch targeting between monsters or nothing.

I get the impression that the weapon/armor stats/skills are not the same in the demo as in the real game, and probably not the monsters themselves either. Mizu in previous games would likely be on par with Magnamalo in terms of strength and difficulty, but maybe they put it in the demo because it's super cool and popular. Most of the sets in the demo appear to be from early to mid game monsters.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this is a silly question but can you sever tails with the hammer?
To add on to what viotech3 said, the damage the hammer does also doesn't contribute to tail cuts either. It's not a situation where just the last hit has to be with cutting damage, all the hits need to be with cutting damage. This means in multiplayer a hammer user should never be hitting the tail.