• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a tutorial on how basic UI works in this game? Like I get a pop-up saying click right-stick to lock on to a monster but that doesn't seem to do anything? Likewise I can't figure out how to bind or select items to the radial menu.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I can't make heads or tails of this from in-game instructions

Last edited:

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Really enjoying the demo, but miss the scout flies/research points (are they in the full game?) and the clutch claw (I don't get why people hate this?) a lot.

How are people feeling about this coming off of World? World + Iceborne is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm genuinely enjoying the Rise demo so far. Wish the UI did t look so flat, but that's me nitpicking.

My personal gripe with the clutch claw is pretty minor, but I didn't like how much maintenance wounding monster parts was. You bascially had to constantly wound monsters to be dealing optimal damage. So it just felt like another layer of maintenance added to fights (on top of mantles).

I much more prefer the style of Rise where it's just you versus the monster on a clean and open playing field. I think the combat is less in the hunter's favor and the monsters get more chance to shine that way too.

Jun 22, 2019
I skipped Iceborne due to burnout, but the demo definitely is dragging me back in. I actually hated scoutflies so I'm super glad they are gone (loved the concept of tracking, but hated all that green shit across my screen telling me where to go).

Also I love how the map has climbable buildings; attacking a Rathian from a rooftop feels cool as fuck.

A couple questions:

1. Gyro in TV mode works great for me. Gyro on handheld is really weird. It feels like the horizontal gyro is stunted or something? Like the camera refuses to turn with the screen despite me boosting the sensitivity. Am I missing something or is the game just weird right now with handheld gyro? (Vertical handheld gyro works great though.)

2. Obviously MH has slower-paced action with very deliberate thought-out-in-advance combat (like it takes several frames for your character to even start moving after you press the analogue stick). That being said, it feels like sometimes I'll press a button or direction and it won't even register. Now this could all just be on me due to a ton of rust. I think I am pressing a button before a previous animation finishes and thus the input falls into the void. Can anyone confirm it is in fact just me sucking, or do inputs sometimes actually get eaten up with the joycons?

Either way, seems like I'm finally gonna pay Nintendo for its online service for the first time due to Rise.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a tutorial on how basic UI works in this game? Like I get a pop-up saying click right-stick to lock on to a monster but that doesn't seem to do anything? :ikewise I can't figure out how to bind or select items to the radial menu.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I can't make heads or tails of this from in-game instructions

Yeah I still don't know how to lock onto a monster?

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Is there a tutorial on how basic UI works in this game? Like I get a pop-up saying click right-stick to lock on to a monster but that doesn't seem to do anything? Likewise I can't figure out how to bind or select items to the radial menu.

Check post #1808

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

The way it works by default is if you click the right-stick, you'll notice in the upper right corner of the screen where the monster icons are that one of them will get a little frame around it. If no monster is highlighted, tapping the L button will center the camera behind your character. If one is targetted and in the same zone as you, when you tap L the camera will turn to center the monster in front of you. There are some ways to alter this if you dig into the options but that's the main gist of it.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I don't really the wire bug at all lol, or the dog really.
They are still less offensive gimmicks to me then the clutch claw though.

I also tend to be more forgiving to the portable team as I view their games as fun spin offs to try new things, so their gimmicks are w/e.
If it shows up in MH6, then I will be more concerned.
The problem with clutch claw was that it devolved fight into "oh the monster isnt enraged? Let me handle this cumbersome aiming during the middle of the fight to wall slam it." The tenderize of monster parts was meh, the game expected you to do it but it didnt really feel rewarding at all.

Now Wirebug is a whole other ballgame. Ignoring the fact that it gives weapons an expanded moveset it also serves as a mobility and positioning tool, while also offering quick recovery from knockdown. There's a more inmediate feel to the fights in this game thanks to the wirebug mechanics as it helps prevent typical downtime that came with knockdows and monsters getting away with a move that zips them to the other side of the area. It also actually rewards player skill. Gunlance wirebug block cskill regenerates sharpness on weapon, CB wirebug block refills phials, also opens up more possibilities for IG as it lets you stay more time in the air.

To me Wirebugs is a much more interesting gimmick than Clutch Claw.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm super into the wire bug but I really liked the clutch claw too.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Really enjoying the demo, but miss the scout flies/research points (are they in the full game?) and the clutch claw (I don't get why people hate this?) a lot.
Scout flies gone & so is tracking (50% good, 50% bad - good aspects gone, bad aspects gone).

Points have been in either all or almost all titles, though they haven't been called research points prior to world; they were just like Pokke Points or Yukumo Points etc. fulfilled different functionality but always involved similar systems like upgrading farms/planting/duplicating common items/purchasing/etc - they're in Rise too, no idea what name tough. Probably Kamura Points, dunno.

Clutch Claw though, no. Some elements of the effects on movesets have retained, and same for slinger; you can aim barrel bombs (s), throwing Kumasi, flash bombs, the blight beetles, etc by holding ZL and then using them.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

How are people feeling about this coming off of World? World + Iceborne is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm genuinely enjoying the Rise demo so far. Wish the UI did t look so flat, but that's me nitpicking.

Finished world, never got to IceBorne. I've tried, but after this, I can't go back.
The map design, traversal and music alone are VASTLY superior.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Palamutes work so naturally that the way they did Tailraider mounts in World seems kind of absurd in comparison. Moving away from constant mounts and clutch claw knockdowns in favor of wyvern riding is a good move imo. You might only see it happen once a fight but it's pretty dramatic and powerful.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I skipped Iceborne due to burnout, but the demo definitely is dragging me back in. I actually hated scoutflies so I'm super glad they are gone (loved the concept of tracking, but hated all that green shit across my screen telling me where to go).

Also I love how the map has climbable buildings; attacking a Rathian from a rooftop feels cool as fuck.

A couple questions:

1. Gyro in TV mode works great for me. Gyro on handheld is really weird. It feels like the horizontal gyro is stunted or something? Like the camera refuses to turn with the screen despite me boosting the sensitivity. Am I missing something or is the game just weird right now with handheld gyro? (Vertical handheld gyro works great though.)

2. Obviously MH has slower-paced action with very deliberate thought-out-in-advance combat (like it takes several frames for your character to even start moving after you press the analogue stick). That being said, it feels like sometimes I'll press a button or direction and it won't even register. Now this could all just be on me due to a ton of rust. I think I am pressing a button before a previous animation finishes and thus the input falls into the void. Can anyone confirm it is in fact just me sucking, or do inputs sometimes actually get eaten up with the joycons?

Either way, seems like I'm finally gonna pay Nintendo for its online service for the first time due to Rise.
The handheld horizontal gyro is extremely weird and bad in that you need to actually rotate the system like a steering wheel rather than tilt it left or right. Honestly kinda unusable in its current state

As for inputs, I think the timing can just be hard because monster hunter doesn't tend to buffer your inputs so you may just be pressing them early

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The handheld horizontal gyro is extremely weird and bad in that you need to actually rotate the system like a steering wheel rather than tilt it left or right. Honestly kinda unusable in its current state

As for inputs, I think the timing can just be hard because monster hunter doesn't tend to buffer your inputs so you may just be pressing them early

I found it great in handheld - just as good as aiming was in BotW. You have to limit it to aiming and gunner reticle

edit: oh wow you're right. I thought it was fine but it's definitely like a steering wheel ...that's funky

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
So does this game not support pro controller rumble or is their a setting that I need to turn on? It just feels wrong to not have that feedback when charging greatsword or hitting monsters in general. I really hope this they include rumble in the final game.

Jun 22, 2019

Holy shit never woulda tried to "steering wheel" it, lmao.

And for the second thing, yeah I suspected as much (that I'm rusty and suck) but just wanted confirmation.

So does this game not support pro controller rumble or is their a setting that I need to turn on? It just feels wrong to not have that feedback when charging greatsword or hitting monsters in general. I really hope this they include rumble in the final game.

Do the joycons even rumble? I can't recall them ever doing so.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't comprehend someone not liking the wire bugs. They're so much fun.
The Wirebug skills that propel you straight forward to do an attack feel pretty awful on smaller targets. It feels like the intent is that the monster's giant skeleton is supposed to catch and cuddle with the player, but the Great Not-Jagras and Azureos just ain't wide enough. It's a demo problem, but it did a lot to sour me on Switch Axe.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit. Went multiplayer for Great Izuchi, but had connection issues, so I got stuck to hunt it myself. Went as a bow and arrow character, was fun and beat it on my first try. Control was kinda clunky though, and coming from World, back to 30FPS was rough. My Left Joycon's L trigger is broken, so I couldn't use it (to switch items? I don't know what the button does since it's broken).

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
The Wirebug skills that propel you straight forward to do an attack feel pretty awful on smaller targets. It feels like the intent is that the monster's giant skeleton is supposed to catch and cuddle with the player, but the Great Not-Jagras and Azureos just ain't wide enough. It's a demo problem, but it did a lot to sour me on Switch Axe.

I noticed the same thing with Great Sword but I just decided not to use the attacking wirebug skill on those "smaller" monsters and fought with the standard MonHu-style, alongside the occasional defensive wirebug skill, evasions and of course wyvern riding.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I've played several of the demos in the past but never bought a MH game before and I think it's finally time for me to jump in and give it my all.

I already used up all 30 demo uses trying out all the weapons, and while I was only able to beat Mizutsune with the light bowgun I also got really close with the hunting horn and insect glaive, so I think those will be my three mains when I get the full game. (Or is three mains too many for a total beginner and should I just pick one?)

Now... my challenge is to be be patient and wait for Rise instead buckling and getting World used.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played several of the demos in the past but never bought a MH game before and I think it's finally time for me to jump in and give it my all.

I already used up all 30 demo uses trying out all the weapons, and while I was only able to beat Mizutsune with the light bowgun I also got really close with the hunting horn and insect glaive, so I think those will be my three mains when I get the full game. (Or is three mains too many for a total beginner and should I just pick one?)

Now... my challenge is to be be patient and wait for Rise instead buckling and getting World used.

You can also just delete the save data for the demo to reset your hunts, evidently.

EDIT: Just did it to check. Yeah, you can.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017

or you rotate with the switch in your hands as you would be the axis. works too

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunting Horn seems crazy, this might be the first MH where I try to use it more often.

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
After 4 tries, as a noob, I just beat Misutsune with the HH and I feel empty, I did it without knowing any combo and just pressing X and A randomly. I'm torn because I really want to find a weapon I feel comfortable with. I like the hammer but I don't understand how to combine its attacks with the wirebugs.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
After 4 tries, as a noob, I just beat Misutsune with the HH and I feel empty, I did it without knowing any combo and just pressing X and A randomly. I'm torn because I really want to find a weapon I feel comfortable with. I like the hammer but I don't understand how to combine its attacks with the wirebugs.

This was a post earlier I made earlier with some hammer pointers. Maybe it'll be helpful
The hammer is super satisfying to use, especially right when you go bonk on a monster's head and it topples over from KO. It's a great choice.

I don't really consider myself too knowledgeable about the hammer, since it's been a few games since I last used it, but in general, its playstyle is focused on sneaking in charged hits on a monsters head whenever you see an opening. Then when it topples over from the KO damage, you get to go ham with combo strings and/or wirebug moves.

As for said charged hits, they're accessible by the ZR button. A different attack comes out depending on what charge level you let go of ZR on (and can even vary on whether your character is in motion or not). They're all good for different situations/depending on your positioning to the monster. It might be worth just spending time to get familiar with these first and foremost since they'll be your bread and butter.

By the way, hammer is one of only two weapon types that do KO damage on all hits. So it's super valuable for downing monsters repeatedly if you get good at aiming at the head.

I also recommend checking out the video above too, if you can. It should serve as useful

And here is the video I was referring to at the end of that quote. He does a quick rundown of all the moves & showcases some gameplay with the hammer silkbind attacks towards the end.

From what I understand, you want to fully charge when using either of them for max damage, so they're not really meant to be combo'd into.

Last edited:

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

Yup. Basically, they're implemented the same gyro behavior for the controller and handheld in using the roll axis for horizontal movement (which is the norm for controllers, but for devices with a screen the yaw axis - tilt - is the norm).

Seems like an easy to fix oversight, but I have no idea where to submit feedback atm.

or you rotate with the switch in your hands as you would be the axis. works too

Ye olde "rotating turret mode" lol

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope the game will teach every combo and attack because I've just watched this:

and I'm like... WTF, I only was abe to do 2 attacks and one attack after jumping from the air, lol. Charge? What is charge and how you do it?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
What I mean is that its DPS means that it is often a superior option compared to going for the big drop, because the big drop is more easily interruptible and isn't always going to be available to you. Yes, it's great to be able to drop it when you can, but not only are you not always going to be using it (because there are more wirebug moves that you can equip instead) but ti's not always going to be available! Especially if you tend to dash out of getting hit, like I do

And the uppercut has an animation that's like a quarter as long as the level 3 moving attack's, they're not even comparable in terms of safety. Their recovery frames after active hitboxes may be comparable, but you still spend way longer locked into an animation with the level 3 than with the uppercut
In my earlier posts I outlined why I wouldn't use it compared to impact crater or something else. It's true that you might not have it available if you get hit a lot, but if you do, I'd argue that often being locked in a long move like spinning bludgeon may be one of the reasons for that.

I didn't even think about animation time, the new move takes hardly a second. But you're right, this may be important, especially for really fast monsters. Regardless, as I said, with upper cut's high KO values (we don't really know how the new move is doing on that front) and with how fast you can pull it off, it is definitely going to have its place, although I'm not sure vulnerability is going to be a deciding factor.

I really hope the game will teach every combo and attack because I've just watched this:

and I'm like... WTF, I only was abe to do 2 attacks and one attack after jumping from the air, lol. Charge? What is charge and how you do it?

When I started out with World, initially I wasn't a fan of the control hints in the upper right corner because it felt a little cluttered, but I ended up never disabling it because it proved to be useful from time to time. Now, trying out different weapons for the Rise demo, I wish for it back so bad haha. It took me way too long to figure out how to cancel from SAED into AED for instance. I knew it was possible, but couldn't pull it off, and I could find nothing in the hunter notes. They're not nearly detailed enough for how complex the weapons are unfortunately.

Last edited:

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I have a question about the insect glaive.
I've seen that by marking the monster with ZL + ZR you can set a spot for the kinsect to go after and collect buffs, which I've been doing, but I've also read it's supposed to make the kinsect create clouds that you can attack for burst damage... and that doesn't seem to be happening? Is it just some thing to do with the specific kinsect in this armor set or am I doing something wrong or just not noticing something?

Apr 9, 2019
First time I'm remotely getting into Monster Hunter. Sound design & surround implementation is FANTASTIC and reminds me of BotW in a good way. Very lush, natural soundscape that makes it a joy to run around. Graphics are a rare case in which docked looks better on a big screen that handheld.

Running around on the dog mount is fantastic too, the game feel there is superb. I'm still not really into the combat though, I don't like boss battles in general and it seems like Monster Hunter is Boss Battles: The Game.

Chasing the velociraptor guy around the map was fun though, so if there's enough in-between-fighting gameplay and if the combat clicks a bit more I might be able to get into it =) .

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
First time I'm remotely getting into Monster Hunter. Sound design & surround implementation is FANTASTIC and reminds me of BotW in a good way. Very lush, natural soundscape that makes it a joy to run around. Graphics are a rare case in which docked looks better on a big screen that handheld.

Running around on the dog mount is fantastic too, the game feel there is superb. I'm still not really into the combat though, I don't like boss battles in general and it seems like Monster Hunter is Boss Battles: The Game.

Chasing the velociraptor guy around the map was fun though, so if there's enough in-between-fighting gameplay and if the combat clicks a bit more I might be able to get into it =) .
Personally, I rather dislike Boss Fights (because I'm usually no good at them). In Hollow Knight I had to quit because I couldn't for the life of me pass Hornet (yes, Hornet), no matter how much I tried to anticipate her moves. Similar problem for me in more than a few other games (no matter which difficulty level I play). Don't even ask me about Dark Souls.

But I love MH. Yes it's somewhat Boss Battles: The Game. But once it clicks, it clicks, and the amount of satisfaction you get from so many fights after that is simply immense.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Monster Hunter is 95% 'boss fights' but I think it's the behaviour patterns of those bosses, the way they act in ways representative of creatures, leaving huge openings for you to exploit with flashy combos while also punishing you if you get greedy, that makes them fun to fight. Albeit some far more than others :D

Personally I love the whole MH vibe and can spend an afternoon wandering around looking for needed resources, fishing and BBQing steaks quite happily if I don't feel like a fight with a large creature.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Hammer and it was nice to go back to an easy and reliable weapon. I still need to understand a bit the stance mechanic and the switch to blue/purple to yellow, but is a lot of fun.

Also I need a Pro controller, can get used to the ergonomics and feel of the switchcons on a MH game.

Apr 9, 2019
I have no idea what the difference between an emulator and a port is.
Personally, I rather dislike Boss Fights (because I'm usually no good at them). In Hollow Knight I had to quit because I couldn't for the life of me pass Hornet (yes, Hornet), no matter how much I tried to anticipate her moves. Similar problem for me in more than a few other games (no matter which difficulty level I play). Don't even ask me about Dark Souls.

But I love MH. Yes it's somewhat Boss Battles: The Game. But once it clicks, it clicks, and the amount of satisfaction you get from so many fight after that is simply immense.
I also bounced off of Hollow Knight quite quickly. I did manage to beat Hornet, but having to wander around aimlessly until you reach a boss, and then dying a lot trying to beat the boss didn't sound compelling for an entire game's length =P .

Monster Hunter is 95% 'boss fights' but I think it's the behaviour patterns of those bosses, the way they act in ways representative of creatures, leaving huge openings for you to exploit with flashy combos while also punishing you if you get greedy, that makes them fun to fight. Albeit some far more than others :D

Personally I love the whole MH vibe and can spend an afternoon wandering around looking for needed resources, fishing and BBQing steaks quite happily if I don't feel like a fight with a large creature.

Yeah, I was relieved to see the amount of openings and how clearly the monsters can be read, so there's hope =P . I also started to view the game through the lens of "silly prehistoric fantasy" before I could go with the game's particular vibe. I'm normally not so much into killing innocent animals in games and even have moral issues with Pokémon for that reason xD .

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I was really excited for this demo but after a few go I'm reminded how I don't really enjoy MH nearly as much if the progression aspect isn't there, so I think I'm done with it for the time being.

Overall game is shaping up to be great, love the wirebug and I like the new HH, very fluid and fun to use.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I was relieved to see the amount of openings and how clearly the monsters can be read, so there's hope =P . I also started to view the game through the lens of "silly prehistoric fantasy" before I could go with the game's particular vibe.
I mean, it's a game where you can go into battle riding your dog who fights alongside you, with a cat that throws bombs you are immune to. Hunters and their allies are in-universe highly trained superheroes that can all jump off cliffs and mountains with no penalty and land into a running start. You can get bitten by a creature four times the size of a T-Rex that only mildly stuns you for a second or two, and go home to find your village's master chef is a cat that serves a platter of food the same size as you are. It's about the same level of "silly prehistoric fantasy" as The Flintstones, and that's why I love it. It's got a lot of heart and humour and a sense of home and hearth in the village underpinning it, even while the creature idle and combat animations are often at least partly based on real creatures to give the fights a sense of the natural world.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Speaking of IG, I finally decided to try it again and managed to kill Mizu in 18 minutes. Despite being weaker, I had more fun due to being the air and combos on the ground. Plus, I healed way less with IG as I could easily avoid most of the attacks.

And then I find out that as long as you have stamina, you can be in the air all the time lol.

Main disappointment is that the silkbind skills in the demo for IG suck. I haven't used them at all and used the wirebug to get out of danger instead.

Regardless, I think I finally decided my mains:

Long Sword
Charge Blade
Insect Glaive
Hunting Horn

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the demo, looks and plays well especially in portable mode but I'm having problems with my 4K TV/monitor.
Shadow rendering seems odd, I can literally see the "spots", anyone else found it aswell? Is it because of the higher resolution? Could the final product smooth this out?

That's the only notable problem I've found, can't wait to play the game.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What the hell, Japanese players are on another level lmao. I didn't realise how big this map really is.

I still remember the first time I saw some perfectly executed sleep bomber runs for 4/4G/4U on nico, years back.

Shit changed my life, as far as my awareness of just how different they play the game over there. And still do.