• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think this demo is the fourth time I've tried to "get into" the series. Finally have to accept that this game isn't for me although I really like the concept.

Monster Hunter demos suck but this is the type of game where you have to stick with it and find a weapon you like to really enjoy it. When I first played Tri which only had 7 weapons of which only 5 were unlocked at the start I didn't have fun with the sword and shield or the great sword and it wasn't clicking. I picked up the hammer and really liked the way it felt. From there the game really pick up because I felt like I was doing actual damage and improving.

It will take a while to click but I feel like its not necessarily a game that will click with everyone immediately. Also, if you play with a friend that can guide you that will help. Seems the full version has a training dummy so you can learn moves and inputs better.

None of the demos are a way to get into the series. The only way for someone to know if MH is for them or not is to actually play the game.

To be fair I played with a friend who picked up generations and generations ultimate to play with me and he never really got into them. But he played the Rise demo with me and took it slow with sword and shield and with all the improvements from world ported over he really enjoyed this one. It can happen.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Wait hold up, there's something called Sword boost for Charge Blade?? How do you activate it?

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Wait hold up, there's something called Sword boost for Charge Blade?? How do you activate it?
First, power up axe mode (by pressing ZR just as you're about to do an amped element discharge in order to cancel out of it) - once you've done that and the shield icon in the top left is glowing red, hold down X while you're storing your phials in sword mode. Hold it for long enough, and you'll be able to do a charged overhead swing, which will power the sword up and allow it to do bonus phial damage on each hit and (most importantly) give it Mind's Eye temporarily, so none of your attacks will bounce. The boost doesn't last nearly as long as the standard axe buff does, but it's worth doing if you have the space to do so!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
First, power up axe mode (by pressing ZR just as you're about to do an amped element discharge in order to cancel out of it) - once you've done that and the shield icon in the top left is glowing red, hold down X while you're storing your phials in sword mode. Hold it for long enough, and you'll be able to do a charged overhead swing, which will power the sword up and allow it to do bonus phial damage on each hit and (most importantly) give it Mind's Eye temporarily, so none of your attacks will bounce. The boost doesn't last nearly as long as the standard axe buff does, but it's worth doing if you have the space to do so!

Ho
I had no idea

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Killed the mizu for the first time, used long sword. I really like the weapon, still trying to get a hang for the spirit blade mechanics but it seems fun. This is my first mon hun game, I bounced off of world after an hour because I hated the opening and tutorial/force walkthroughs but may give it another try now as I have been able to get into this demo a lot more easily.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Thank you! Wow...there's so many new moves in 5th gen MH lol.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I'll dabble into some other weapons sometimes for sure but I'll be mostly using Hunting Horn and Lance this time around.
They removed the single most annoying mechanic that tanked the HH for me before Rise. It's so much better it's not even funny. What a turnaround!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I said I was gonna try killing the three monsters in the Mizu quest.

Got cocky and Rathian carted me with a fireball while I was about to mount the Izuchi.

Guess I'll try again later lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really minor point- I've been experimenting with the radial dial for shortcuts. Is anyone else having trouble selecting anything on the diagonals with it? Especially while in combat. I've pretty much just got it set as important stuff on the four main points now, making it less useful than when we get access to dpad shortcuts. What is cool is you can stick a mix of anything on it from items to shoutouts, poses to pet commands etc.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Really minor point- I've been experimenting with the radial dial for shortcuts. Is anyone else having trouble selecting anything on the diagonals with it? Especially while in combat. I've pretty much just got it set as important stuff on the four main points now, making it less useful than when we get access to dpad shortcuts. What is cool is you can stick a mix of anything on it from items to shoutouts, poses to pet commands etc.
Nope, possibly because I use type 2 where you click in the right stick to select an item. If you're using it as well, maybe it's just the shit joycons if you're using those. I've only played this with the pro controller so far and it works good.

I don't use the d-pad for the action bar or the item selector, I use it for the camera. Useful when your right thumb is too busy, say, holding down X for a greatsword charge or mashing out sword and board combos but you still want to reposition the camera. I rotate through radial menu shortcuts with L+R. That's how I set it up in World and it works well for me.

It's really damn nice to have all these control and display options.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nope, possibly because I use type 2 where you click in the right stick to select an item. If you're using it as well, maybe it's just the shit joycons if you're using those. I've only played this with the pro controller so far and it works good.

I don't use the d-pad for the action bar or the item selector, I use it for the camera. Useful when your right thumb is too busy, say, holding down X for a greatsword charge or mashing out sword and board combos but you still want to reposition the camera. I rotate through radial menu shortcuts with L+R. That's how I set it up in World and it works well for me.

It's really damn nice to have all these control and display options.
Oh that type 2 is much better, thanks!
I love that you can rename shortcut menus, I experimented with a 'vs poison' one that has all potions on one side and all antidotes on the other, as those are the few things where, if I need it, I need it really badly :D
Also when assigning text shortcuts you can go to 'other' and assign the full shoutout menu as a shortcut too- which seems useful as you can't seem to tailor their names and I'll never remember if 'shoutout 1' is 'hold on a minute' or 'congrats'.

Agree on the options, it's really impressive the degree to which you can tailor it

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Can anyone comment on the surround sound? I thought Generations Ultimate had really great Surround support, but I've moved and don't currently have my setup completed yet so I can't really test. Hopefully it's at least as good as what GU offered, as I felt it was one of the best game on Switch in that regard.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any visual cues to tell when a monster is enraged/not enraged? I haven't noticed any. Also, why is Rathian so damn aggressive now? It just spams the big backflip tailspin attack constantly...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any visual cues to tell when a monster is enraged/not enraged? I haven't noticed any. Also, why is Rathian so damn aggressive now? It just spams the big backflip tailspin attack constantly...
They usually roar right before becoming enraged. The enraged status will also stop a monster from being fatigued. They're also noticeably more aggressive while enraged.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Oh what I would give to have the hunter snark at or swoon over monsters with the wittiness of the Guild Sweetheart. I'd turn that shit up to 1000%.

Agreed.

For the sake of this demo, I put on the English voices, but it's only reaffirmed my resolve to stick with the MH language option for the full release. LOL

Most monsters will roar, but also will have other cues to show that they're really pissed off. For example, Rathian will have flames spewing from her mouth. Arzuros will have steam coming from its mouth and nostrils. Mizutsune will have the steam and then possibly does his color change power-up mode thing.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the monster. Some change color, glow or are fuming from their mouth. Generally the switch to rage mode is accompanied by a roar.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to buy a switch to play the demo and Rise in March but I'm so worried about the Pro version finally coming out and getting screwed now by buying inferior hardware. It's literally the only game on the system I care about as MP4 seems to be vaporware or years out at the earliest. I just wish Nintendo would announce the damn pro already or just flat out tell people it isn't coming. World was by far my most played and favorite game or last generation. I'll definitely pick up the PC version when it drops later but I just don't know if I want to wait that long.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
depends on the monster, for example when Rathian is enraged she'll have flames seeping from her mouth constantly or when Mizutsune is enraged he'll turn a darker shade all over his body

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
There's usually smoke fuming out their mouth when enraged. Also when a monster stops what their doing and immediately start roaring is another sign.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Last edited:

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone comment on the surround sound? I thought Generations Ultimate had really great Surround support, but I've moved and don't currently have my setup completed yet so I can't really test. Hopefully it's at least as good as what GU offered, as I felt it was one of the best game on Switch in that regard.
I don't have a surround setup myself but I read somewhere that it was really good. Like REALLY good.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I don't have a surround setup myself but I read somewhere that it was really good. Like REALLY good.

Yeah, if it's anything like GU, it will be pretty great. I think the nature of the game really helps, as there is lots of opportunity for directional sound with monsters. My wife would always complain because the palico would be meowing out of the back speakers and she would think there was a cat in our house...lol.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
FYI, something I haven't seen anyone talk about (but knowing my luck everyone already knows lol)
If you hold down the shortcut button (L) and tap the right stick striaght down, you whistle for your dog, and you can even do
that cool thing in Red Dead and I think Zelda where you start running in a direction, quick tap L+RStick Down and keep running while the dog picks you up and you keep going :D Its useful for getting jump attacks too cause you can just just straight off the dog.

Also sidenote: When did Sword and Shield become so fun??? I hadn't touched it since MHTri, and now it seems fun as hell!
You can press back and A after any attack to do a backstep, and then you can press X to lunge forward again. And if you time it right you get this cool flurry combo which if it hits a monster sends you into the air at the end. Its SUPER fun :D

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood when people say Long Sword is beginner friendly lol. The weapon is actually difficult to use for beginners as its main focus is on counterattacks and sheathing.

It's the most popular, but I'd argue it isn't beginner friendly compared to something like Dual Blades.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to solo the mizu with Long Sword. Got carted two times (for being too careless tbh) but 25 mins is good enough.

Trying hunting horn now but switching weapons is hard.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, something I haven't seen anyone talk about (but knowing my luck everyone already knows lol)
If you hold down the shortcut button (L) and tap the right stick striaght down, you whistle for your dog, and you can even do
that cool thing in Red Dead and I think Zelda where you start running in a direction, quick tap L+RStick Down and keep running while the dog picks you up and you keep going :D Its useful for getting jump attacks too cause you can just just straight off the dog.

Also sidenote: When did Sword and Shield become so fun??? I hadn't touched it since MHTri, and now it seems fun as hell!
You can press back and A after any attack to do a backstep, and then you can press X to lunge forward again. And if you time it right you get this cool flurry combo which if it hits a monster sends you into the air at the end. Its SUPER fun :D
FYI that backstep also has more i-frames than most of the dodges in the game. Most dodges in World had 13 i-frames, that backstep had 22. It's probably the same here.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
When you know the rhythm to Charge Blade it is so fucking sick. All the new stuff from World is cool as hell

I'm trying to get the rhythm back with CB. It's my most favorite weapon in MH, mained it in MH4U and MHGU with Valor Style. But for some reason, I'm currently finding CB in Rise slightly weird or slower? I'm going to assume that in the final game will be much different considering what we have seen in the datamines.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get the rhythm back with CB. It's my most favorite weapon in MH, mained it in MH4U and MHGU with Valor Style. But for some reason, I'm currently finding CB in Rise slightly weird or slower? I'm going to assume that in the final game will be much different considering what we have seen in the datamines.

I've only used the HH in the Rise demo, and even it feels different than World. Faster and more combo friendly is how it feels.

I'll try CB later today.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I think the nature of the game really helps, as there is lots of opportunity for directional sound with monsters. My wife would always complain because the palico would be meowing out of the back speakers and she would think there was a cat in our house...lol.
Yeah, apparently there are a lot of directional sounds in the maps themselves. Like the sound of insects/crickets or whatever.
Also, lol that cat sound did get annoying after a while even for us that don't have cats. =)

Oct 26, 2017
My six year old took a strong interest in the demo after seeing me play it. I was certain he'd try it, find it too difficult and never play it again but he's absolutely adoring it. This morning we did the Great Izuchi hunt together, tonight we did the same hunt again but went and beat Arzuros before. I think he's more excited about getting the full game than I am at this point (and I'm REALLY excited).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
CB's payoffs require more dedication and smart positioning than most weapons in the game. It's like this in World as well. You need to know monsters up and down to really own with the weapon, but when you do it's one of the best feelings ever.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
None of the demos are a way to get into the series. The only way for someone to know if MH is for them or not is to actually play the game.

I've yet to own and play a MH, but I agree, in a lot of respects this demo is just awful as a means of convincing new players.

I have no sense of place in the game world, why I'm killing this Izuchi fellow over and over, and why I'd bother to carve up the beast after I'm done. I'm bombarded with menus / options / items / endemic life that I choose to just ignore because paying attention to it all would overwhelm me. The thing sustaining me in this demo is that I personally want to enjoy the franchise, but I'd say I'm doing most of the leg work here.

I'm happy to have gotten my hands on it, but I'll probably stop playing the demo and wait for the next one (the leak did indicate a March demo right?).

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
MH demos are cursed lol. What's even more sad is that since World Capcom have been trying to make them more user friendly, but these games are so complex that it can still not click for a lot of interested new players.

Granted, I have a feeling that Rise is more closer to the pre-World demos of just being dropped into the map and being told to find and hunt the monster. If I recall correctly the World demos had the handler and the field team leader explaining as many details as possible to you, with full voice acting and button inputs popping up every minute. I think you also had the basic movesets of each weapon situated at either side of the upper screen.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I played the demos for both World & the other game that's on switch & hated them cause I had no idea what was happening but for whatever reason it clicked with Rise

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Bugstaff controls are abysmal and really screwing with my muscle memory. Also what happened to the falling stab from IB. Not liking its wire moves either. So far the only weapons I have really clicked with are those with similar controls to world (LBG,DB,LS,Ham,Lance,SWA,CB).