• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
In case you never resolved it, the stuttering seems to be a known bug from having too many friends on your user account. Switching users seems to resolve the issue
Really hope they fix this issue before launch and maybe within demo period but I doubt it, shame was having fun netherless but the stutter was annoying. Not gonna bother doing the free online trial just to play it without stutter.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After playing most of the weapons, I've decided to main Hunting Horn/Long Sword/Light Bow Gun so I have options for blunt damage, slashing damage, and long range.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had some good coop hunts with my buddies tonight. Had some good HBG/LBG runs so those are still dope. Will probably focus on those alongside IG in the hopes I'm not let down by it in the full game, as in the end it is still what I'm most comfy with.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Got my ass kicked by Misutsune only because I had just killed a Rathian and wasn't ready. Currently using the Switch Axe since it was my main back then.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
That's something I remarked the moment I saw them for the first time, and as someone who also likes to hunt completely solo from time to time, at the moment it really does seem that dogs are absolutely mandatory. There's the 'wait' option, and at first I had hoped it might be the solution, but it's not good enough unfortunately. Once you call for transportation, waiting is disabled and you have to activate it again when you reach your target, which might be just a small nuisance, but the bigger issue is that the monsters don't ignore your waiting pets. Rather they start wailing on poor sitting, defenseless dogs and cats. So there's no solo experience at all anymore if you want quick movement on the map, which is a bummer.
I just wanted to follow up on this after experimenting and I have good news. First of all, the wait command can be put on the quick menu and thus accessed very quickly without having that extra UI element onscreen. Secondly, it seems like the monster ignores the dog if it is far enough away from it. You can "park" the dog just outside of the zone and the monster will ignore it.
So all that remains is the minor inconvenience of telling the dog to sit, but that can be done while you run towards the monster.

Hunting without the dog swinging shit around was a huge improvement.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there no crafting in this demo?

If not, damn, that makes it an even harder sell for my friends. MH has such a steep learning curve--a demo without any weapon tutorials OR the other half of the game (crafting) feels like it won't do much to bring newcomers on board. Mostly speaking for my group of friends, who just can't get into it, unfortunately.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If not, damn, that makes it an even harder sell for my friends. MH has such a steep learning curve--a demo without any weapon tutorials OR the other half of the game (crafting) feels like it won't do much to bring newcomers on board. Mostly speaking for my group of friends, who just can't get into it, unfortunately.
I've seen people craft stuff in the field in this demo. Like bombs and ammo

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

You can always wait until the second demo, might be an easier sell since more should be available.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Mitsuzune hard or is it just me and my friends sucking? I don't know when its debut was but I only ever fought it in Generations. It was not this hard.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

No, there is no crafting. Frankly the demo is basically like they took and early mission and a mid game mission and said have fun.

They'll either have to put in time in the beginner section and read the hunter notes or just wait for the main game. A lot of the tedium is streamlined though so if they just pick like sword and shield and put some time in it should click.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people craft stuff in the field in this demo. Like bombs and ammo
Yeah, I was hoping there would be gear.

That was important to the early hook for me in MHW, when combat wasn't really clicking yet. At least I got to go back and craft some gear from small monsters to get a taste for the loop, which encouraged me to learn the combat more.

You can always wait until the second demo, might be an easier sell since more should be available.
Ah, I missed there would be a second! Definitely will have them try that one.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is the Mitsuzune hard or is it just me and my friends sucking? I don't know when its debut was but I only ever fought it in Generations. It was not this hard.
When you fought it you'd likely eaten a meal and had stronger equipment, but yeah it's got some new moves and feels a bit tougher too.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Mitzutsune is miles harder than its Generations equivalent, the new Leviathan skeleton is just insane. I can't wait to see Lagiacrus shouting "who needs water now?"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was hoping there would be gear.

That was important to the early hook for me in MHW, when combat wasn't really clicking yet. At least I got to go back and craft some gear from small monsters to get a taste for the loop, which encouraged me to learn the combat more.
oh, no. gear crafting doesn't make sense for a demo with only 3 monsters

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Mitzutsune is miles harder than its Generations equivalent, the new Leviathan skeleton is just insane. I can't wait to see Lagiacrus shouting "who needs water now?"

This is probably because he has demo values or is set to mp scaling and you're set with beginner Gear. By the time you get to him in the game proper you'll be properly equiped with his right health.

I remember in the world beta the monsters also were way tougher. People having trouble with diablos.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Mizutsune's sliding water beam is also strong. It's moves have been buffed. In the main game you'll be able to do a lot to mitigate a lot of this though. Once you learn how to use the wire bug to both dodge and realize silkbind moves are how you do a lot of damage it helps. Hammer anime silk bind moves are amazing. Wirebug hang over the water beam then dodge toward Mizutsune and flying hammer smash the face. Feels good.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll either have to put in time in the beginner section and read the hunter notes or just wait for the main game. A lot of the tedium is streamlined though so if they just pick like sword and shield and put some time in it should click.
Yeah, I was going to have them use SnS or Lance.
oh, no. gear crafting doesn't make sense for a demo with only 3 monsters
I think I'd disagree! Fighting the small monsters and being able to rapidly craft gear so soon is a small but important part of the new player experience, at least it was for me. But I also picked Long Sword as my first weapon and didn't really get the timing of that for a while.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I always fought Mizutsune in Adept mode on MHGen so yeah I guess I never actually properly learned the monster, lol. I beat it in 15 mins with a couple weapons so it's not that bad but it's pretty messy.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Haven't fought Mizu before (my first Monster Hunter was World) but yeah it's a tough fight. They're just really slippery and mobile, and the fact that they can apply two blights doesn't help matters. Bubbleblight is pretty annoying to deal with

Oct 25, 2017
Ya it's hard to say if mizutsune is significantly harder or if valor style was just busted. Lol

It definitely hits like a truck in the demo, but like others have said, by the time you get to it in the real game it's highly unlikely it'll be that tough for most.

EtrianFOE

Oct 26, 2017
I think this demo is the fourth time I've tried to "get into" the series. Finally have to accept that this game isn't for me although I really like the concept.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Same here. Initially MH seems to tick the same boxes like Dark Souls, but I always end up dropping the games quickly.
It's a bit of a curious beast. I'm pretty much the opposite with Dark Souls, tried to get into it both on PS3 and Switch but it's just not for me. I can see why the level of required patience and perseverance appeals to people though. Outside of being popular fantasy action games with great monsters, both series have a ton of depth, a sense of achievement players find rewarding, and combat that rewards exploiting small openings without getting greedy, which is why they often appeal to similar players.

I'm still learning new stuff about MH after pouring a thousand hours into the series over a decade, and Ive still barely even touched half of the weapons.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Mizutsune didn't seem too bad to me. Sword and Shield on my first try wasn't a good match for him (at least while I was learning his moves) so I messed around with both Lance and Gun Lance. Lance works fine against it, Gun Lance is great against it (I cant quite get the sub 10 minute kills shown in some vids, but I comfortably beat it, and Rathian in one run).

Loving it, I was always gonna enjoy it anyway, but the demo has me glued to my Switch at the moment. I can see this is going to consume me in March.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Decided to give Gun Lance another try. Managed to kill Mizu in 16 minutes with 1 faint. The weapon is damn powerful but man, I can't get used to the movement.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying it out atm and...I suck lmao.

I think it's best to just start with one combo andthen layer stuff on top of it.

for the type of shelling that the demo gun lance is good at, your bread and butter is X (advance lunge) -> X+A (forward sweep) -> A (discharge all shells at once). -> A (plant tracking explosive in monster). Reload, repeat.

Try doing a hunt with only tha combo, then start layering in other stuff. When you start experimenting with other stuff, note the discharge all shells move is your most powerful one, and it is always possible to do after any forward sweep move.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit of a curious beast. I'm pretty much the opposite with Dark Souls, tried to get into it both on PS3 and Switch but it's just not for me. I can see why the level of required patience and perseverance appeals to people though. Outside of being popular fantasy action games with great monsters, both series have a ton of depth, a sense of achievement players find rewarding, and combat that rewards exploiting small openings without getting greedy, which is why they often appeal to similar players.

I'm still learning new stuff about MH after pouring a thousand hours into the series over a decade, and Ive still barely even touched half of the weapons.
I think the MH series has some great art and humour. I really dig the tribal art style. Particularly for Rise having a Japanese theme should have sold me. I'm also fully aware of the depth of the series. Perhaps that's what scaring me off lol.

I actually got a nearly un-played digital copy of MH World on my PSN account (even paid full price for the damn thing). So I might go back and give it a serious attempt. Sometimes it's about starting the games at the right time.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Just did another Mizutsune, Rathian and Izuchi run. Got all 3 killed in 45 mins no carts with hammer. That's my best time. I originally beat all 3 in 49 mins with 2 carts with long sword. (2 of the carts were at the end, I was being so sloppy cause I knew I had won)

I'm so hype for the full game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this demo is the fourth time I've tried to "get into" the series. Finally have to accept that this game isn't for me although I really like the concept.

Honestly, MH demos usually does an awful job to introduce people to the series. MHW had a much better demo thanks that it had a training area with a dummy with on screen controls.

I wouldn't bought World if it wasn't for that. I spent a good chunk practicing the weapons moves and getting famirialized with the weapons and the systems. Not sure why the rise demo is such a step back.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the MH series has some great art and humour. I really dig the tribal art style. Particularly for Rise having a Japanese theme should have sold me. I'm also fully aware of the depth of the series. Perhaps that's what scaring me off lol.

I actually got a nearly un-played digital copy of MH World on my PSN account (even paid full price for the damn thing). So I might go back and give it a serious attempt. Sometimes it's about starting the games at the right time.
Starting at the right time is such a good point. I've abandoned so many long RPGs by trying to start them when I really don't have the time, and MH tends to consume my hobby time for months and hundreds of hours after a new game comes out

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I think it's best to just start with one combo andthen layer stuff on top of it.

for the type of shelling that the demo gun lance is good at, your bread and butter is X (advance lunge) -> X+A (forward sweep) -> A (discharge all shells at once). -> A (plant tracking explosive in monster). Reload, repeat.

Try doing a hunt with only tha combo, then start layering in other stuff. When you start experimenting with other stuff, note the discharge all shells move is your most powerful one, and it is always possible to do after any forward sweep move.
That was the combo I have been doing the most of the time lol. It's my first time using Gun Lance.