• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
If they somehow add valstrax to Rise I imagine the implemented mobility will be god tier for this fight.
If they add Valstrax then you better be able to ride him and do the comet attack as the finisher, I will kill for this

After going through the demo with lots of experimenting and refreshing I'm feeling like I may have to drop SA after maining it since 3U. It takes like twice as long to charge up the gauge and it just feels baaaaad :(

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I had no idea this is how it worked in games before world either, here's hoping that given how well iceborne was received they'll stick to that format when the inevitable big expansion comes out, iceborne's far and away some of the best content in world so I'd be gutted if the rise equivalent was basically multiplayer only
What's the advantage of it being that way? As someone who hasn't played the previous games, it seems... bad, to me. Why punish folks if they're unable or unwilling to play multiplayer?
At 4x it's pretty much the old system, as that was stuck at double HP?
Pre-World, hub quests were scaled for a specific player #, varying roughly from 2-2.5x depending on the game; more challenging solo due to the series being attrition-based (less so post-World, though to a degree still & functionally identical if choosing not to restock, ever), but not balanced around 4 players. This also meant 4 player hunts tended to be much faster, but not 'easier' - less attrition sorta? Now they'll scale in Rise like World, but we dunno if scales like 1,2,4 or 2,3,4 or 1,2,3,4 or 2,4 etc. It scales in some way, that's all we know.

Non-Hub quests are just solo-only. That's where the Story is/was, always scaled to 1 player, and then online progress was separate. Downsides are potentially doing same content 2x but upsides are having separate progress so you have different stuff to come back to. Example being not liking jumping ahead of the party (Think like 4*->7*) for equal progression, but building sets/other progress in solo. Options, basically.

Last edited:

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
How much am I missing by kinda ignoring the silkwire and/or wyvern-riding gameplay mechanics (or whatever it was called) in combat? I did the tutorial but it just felt clunky and annoying so while hunting I just played normally, but Mizu took me a fair bit to beat. >.> (Playing solo, don't have online with Nintendo)
I barely used the wirebug during my first few hunts and got by just fine, but it's definitely worth working the wirebug into your arsenal. The first thing you should get accustomed to is ZL+B to quickly recover when knocked down. It's saved me a few times, and it's just nice not spending so much time on my butt, heh.

Then, depending on the weapon, the silkbind attacks (ZL+X, ZL+A while unsheathed) can be worth it, even if you don't care about mounting the monster. In the demo, some silkbind attacks just do a bunch of "mounting" damage, but others provide buffs or have some special feature. For example the GS's power sheathe will boost attack for a short time, and the SnS's windmill will interrupt a monster's attack. The full game will let you choose the silkbind attacks in your loadout, so hopefully there's a good variety.

Finally, wiredashing (ZL+X, ZL+A while sheathed) can be useful in combat to close the gap, get aerial, and dodge attacks. I'm still getting used to this aspect. I have to consciously think about using ZL+X when Rathian goes airbourne, or ZL+A when the Mizutsune ends up a distance away. And I haven't worked it into my dodge instincts. Gotta keep practicing...

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think it's a good idea to tell new, overwhelmed players they need to watch a video explaining how to i-frame attacks. Outside of Plesioth and Nargacuga there's like nothing in at least the last few generations that actually requires you to use i-frames to effectively fight a monster. Positioning yourself outside of the hitbox is like 10 times more important to know in this series than rolling through a hitbox.

Also, if you read the actual post, he says the issue is he can't figure out the monster's tells, so obviously he's attempting to learn them.

Try going for Rathian instead. There's nothing in the demo forcing you to fight Mizu after all. Rathian's tells are a lot more obvious and she's a more straightforward monster in general. Mizu is a tough monster to figure out with very slippery moves, you're right.
With Mizu, the only way I can reliably avoid damage is to just focus on punishing whiffs during the window of time where it literally cannot start a new attack and then dodge the fuck out of the way far enough that whatever the next attack is and however fast the start-up tell is, I'm far enough to be safe. With this in mind I find that I am most effective with the Sword and Shield but it really pisses me the hell off that I can't for the life of me use the Long Sword (my favorite in World so far, though it's not like I'm very far into it) effectively. I cannot identify a single attack, and so I can't predict its timing and use Foresight Slash to level up the damn spirit gauge. And since the monster is so fast and unpredictable I don't really have enough time to level the gauge up via spirit roundslash combos unless the monster is toppled.

I honestly have no idea how to get better at it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
With Mizu, the only way I can reliably avoid damage is to just focus on punishing whiffs during the window of time where it literally cannot start a new attack and then dodge the fuck out of the way far enough that whatever the next attack is and however fast the start-up tell is, I'm far enough to be safe. With this in mind I find that I am most effective with the Sword and Shield but it really pisses me the hell off that I can't for the life of me use the Long Sword (my favorite in World so far, though it's not like I'm very far into it) effectively. I cannot identify a single attack, and so I can't predict its timing and use Foresight Slash to level up the damn spirit gauge. And since the monster is so fast and unpredictable I don't really have enough time to level the gauge up via spirit roundslash combos unless the monster is toppled.

I honestly have no idea how to get better at it.
Frankly I gave up on Mizu, it is not an easy monster at all lol

Did you try hunting Rathian ? It is easier than Mizu (but stronger than the great Izuchi) and offers a good fight.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So everyone turned off the voices right?

"I hope you have insurance!"

What the fuck? Lol.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
The LBG has never been more fun. Between pogoing above the monster and dropping explosives at every opportunity, turning lengthy reloads into melee attacks, and having a dedicated gap-closer, Rise provided all the missing pieces I didn't know it needed.

It's just the perfect amount of technical, top to bottom

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I tried playing online but it's super laggy, it staggers constantly like a sideshow, totally unplayable :(

How come

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Took down Mizutsune with Switch Axe today. Felt good. Going to try and tackle it with Bow and Great Sword.

Game definitely feels and moves differently to World, but I am absolutely loving it.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017

What the fuck? Lol.
I have Monster Hunter Language on, and hearing *unintelligible word salad* or something along those lines whenever Mizutsune gears up for its 360 beam attack has actually proven to be pretty useful.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to call the HH OP just yet. What if Capcom nerfs it due to everyone saying that and later we find out it just happened to have a better set of armor in the demo than most of the weapons lol. Also, apparently LS is right up there with it in speed run times right now so it also either has better armor or is OP.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
I find using the GunLance against Mizu is good since you can block most of its attacks and go straight from blocking to attacking. I imagine the Lance would also work with this strategy. But Wyrmstake in his face is just too good.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The voice lines are undeniably fucking stupid but when you have four hunters yelling over each other about whetstones and monster eyes it almost reaches this peak absurdity level that makes them worth it

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to call the HH OP just yet. What if Capcom nerfs it due to everyone saying that and later we find out it just happened to have a better set of armor in the demo than most of the weapons lol. Also, apparently LS is right up there with it in speed run times right now so it also either has better armor or is OP.
After some practice, I manage to clear Mizu with LS in 14 minutes. Not surprised with LS being the fastest weapon for speed runners, that weapon is really powerful and consistent.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm ready to try out a Gun/long range weapon. Any recommendation on which might be best for a beginner?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that beginners hunt is very very easy lol. Killed both monsters pretty quickly! Kept having them attack each other! I definitely need to learn the ropes with the wisp stuff.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I learned during my research on bow/bowgun moves that the explosion damage is based on the damage of the attack that triggers the explosion. There are different tresholds, but interestingly going bigger isn't always better as land mines have more small explosions in them than large ones before running out of charge and getting all of the small explosions does more damage total than all the possible max size ones put together.
That's what it seemed to me, yeah. Playing with my brother, sometimes the mines I'd drop would land on hard to reach places (like Rathian's back or wings), and I'd use pierce shots to make sure they still went off. Usually around 40 per blast, 5 times per mine, but sometimes was doing as much as 75, which I think was when he was landing something big. It's pretty fun either way, and I bet will be really useful against some of the hardier monsters/body parts.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When using DB am I supposed to be on demon mode most of the time or the the other mode until red gauge runs out and then go back to demon?

Archdemon Mode if possible most of the time as it don't use stamina like Demon Mode.

I miss my Dash Juices in this demon though as I like not caring for Stamina Usage.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

What the fuck? Lol.
As someone who's beaten both numbered Xenoblade games, I find stupid voices in the middle of combat strangely endearing. There was one time where I was carving something where my Hunter said something like "Daddy needs a pair of new boots" which was a bit ugh though.

Though in all honestly, voices might make the game easier since you get callouts before strong attacks

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the changes to Mizutsune's moveset, particularly that sweeping beam he does by sliding along the ground lol.

Of course I'm just off beating Fatalis in world so Mizu really wasn't that big of a deal.

Also yeah bring back Valstrax, they'll be able to make him even more brutal and dynamic with the wirebug in the game.

Also Lagiacrus

Also Gore Magala

Also Ceadeus...so what if we can't swim?

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Game looks really blurry on a 4k tv, especially when coming from mhw on ps4pro. Looks to be shaping up well gameplay wise though.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
540p on handheld.
756p on docked.

Plus frame pacing issues.

Yikes.

I was actually surprised at how clear it actually looked overall. I was really expecting a blurry mess but I honestly think it looks surprisingly decent, even considering those resolutions. I'm on a CX and I can obviously see how low res it is, but maybe whatever they're doing in terms of post processing (or lack of) is helping it? For example, Age of Calamity is a recent game that really does look blurry in my opinion.

The frame rate was also better than I was expecting, though I did notice some frame pacing issues and drops yeah, but nothing too unplayable.

Last edited:

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
I tried playing online but it's super laggy, it staggers constantly like a sideshow, totally unplayable :(

How come
In case you never resolved it, the stuttering seems to be a known bug from having too many friends on your user account. Switching users seems to resolve the issue

I think I'm ready to try out a Gun/long range weapon. Any recommendation on which might be best for a beginner?

I think the bow is a good choice

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
I was actually surprised at how clear it actually looked overall. I was really expecting a blurry mess but I honestly think it looks surprisingly decent, even considering those resolutions. I'm on a CX and I can obviously see how low res it is, but maybe whatever they're doing in terms of post processing (or lack off) is helping it? For example, Age of Calamity is a recent game that really does look blurry in my opinion.

The frame rate was also better than I was expecting, though I did notice some frame pacing issues and drops yeah, but nothing too unplayable.

For sure they aren't using the typical agressive TAA and other post processing effects that a lot of games use on Switch. You can tell how crisp this game looks vs Doom when both have similar resolutions. So yea, low resolution but still looks kinda okay.