• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Rathian sure is getting the mileage out of that tail with how many poison tailflips she does here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
When they say the demo is available until February, do they mean it won't be available to be downloaded or that it will stop working (besides the 30 tries thing)?

I feel focused (loosely) on another game (Doom Eternal) right now. Want to get that one out of my system before digging in.

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can see the draw of that. For me, as someone who only plays with friends or solo, I definitely prefer the new system. And even in the new system, the increase goes 1x - 1.7x - 2.3x - 2.3x, so each additional person isn't an another solo worth of health. At 4x it's pretty much the old system, as that was stuck at double HP?
The old system was roughly 1.5 hp increase.
HP values were mostly higher for World in general.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there really no farcaster? You could fast travel to camp in World too, but not during combat, you still needed to use a farcaster there.
Oh, maybe it's in the full game. Infinite Fast travel is still new to me, as is having access to your full resources in the camp, but that would make sense that the item still has a use in combat.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Huh, the locked-on target flashes on the map when it's ready for capture. Is that something they added in World, making the capture skill redundant?

Just had a great scrap with Rathian, the Lance silkbite move that tethers you to them is great vs fliers as you can inflict big hits in midair and it keeps you up and away from where their attacks are going on. The new counter moves are great for making the most of when you need to bunker down from tail swipes too.
Not only that, if you look at the monster icons on the top right, if the monster is limping, it will have a blue icon of a dragon head with with eyes shaped as 'X' underneath.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just played online and it was fantastic. This is easily going to be a GotY contender for me.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
For me, this is going to be a great game thats hampered by the online and lack of voice chat on the Switch. My MHW squad mate cant stay connected because Switch wifi range is garbage and having to use Discord to chat means we all have to plug one ear and lower our TV volume so theres no background noise. Its not an ideal way for me to play at all.

Ive been high on this game for the past two days and now Im bummed as fuck, my friend is talking about cancelling his preorder, and Im looking at weird options for getting game and chat audio through one set of headphones. It shouldnt be this way.

Im wondering if this game is even going to have squads or are we going to be stuck with a hub/room code/password system just to group up.

I love the game itself. Its going to be great and I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would but, man, this sucked the wind out of its sails some.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For me, this is going to be a great game thats hampered by the online and lack of voice chat on the Switch. My MHW squad mate cant stay connected because Switch wifi range is garbage and having to use Discord to chat means we all have to plug one ear and lower our TV volume so theres no background noise. Its not an ideal way for me to play at all.

Ive been high on this game for the past two days and now Im bummed as fuck, my friend is talking about cancelling his preorder, and Im looking at weird options for getting game and chat audio through one set of headphones. It shouldnt be this way.

Im wondering if this game is even going to have squads or are we going to be stuck with a hub/room code/password system just to group up.

I love the game itself. Its going to be great and I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would but, man, this sucked the wind out of its sails some.
I did notice something in the menu- under 'abandon quest' is 'join request', I'm not sure what that is, is that similar to MHW?

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I did notice something in the menu- under 'abandon quest' is 'join request', I'm not sure what that is, is that similar to MHW?
I didnt notice that. Good catch. Sounds like there might be some kind of invite system, which would be nice.

Worlds online system wasnt great but, if you only played with friends, it was really nice. Everyone is in a squad and every quest posted was just joinable by your squadmates. It was up to the quest starter to limit the number of players that can join if they wanted to solo.

Im actually glad that Rise is going back to a split SP and MP but I just hope theres an easy way to group up with people.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
It was simple, you simply do the next quest

I was not a fan of that area with all the monsters rotating in an area, whatever that was called
I mean, tbf the guiding lands was strictly postgame stuff, the vast majority of Iceborne was just doing the next quest - I'm not a huge fan of the guiding lands either though, even if it's a big improvement on base world's postgame

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It was simple, you simply do the next quest

I was not a fan of that area with all the monsters rotating in an area, whatever that was called

Isn't that just the endgame after you beat the game? I hope Rise or the expansion has something like Guiding Lands back, though. Just going and fighting a bunch of monsters with no time limit or anything. The old games had expeditions but they were never as good.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
LBG fans, anyone know what determines the damage on the land mine thing? Getting different numbers sometimes and it's hard to tell if it's based on the body part or the attack used to ignite it.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I found the MHW option to display available action inputs in the top right corner really helpful in playing that game. Is there any way to get it in MHR? I didn't see anything in the options menu.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I already have several fast speedruns among my subscriptions on youtube. Mai LBG is crushing as always.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who has not regularly played MonHun in a long, long time (MH3U for 3DS being my last regularly played title, though I have attempted to get into every single one since then too), the wire bugs are both awesome as hell and really overwhelming due to the extra layer of control they stack on top of it.

I'm at the very least glad I don't have to play this claw style. I'd just nope the fuck out entirely if that was the case.

That said, if I can push back that sense of being overwhelmed by the layers of controls going on all the time, I think I will really, really enjoy the baseline gameplay design here.

But, due to the technical limitations of the Switch and my current spoiled attitude from new gen consoles and high framerates, I think I'm gonna wait for the PC release for higher FPS and hopefully better net play.

Game seems great, I just need to get myself adjusted to the controls.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How much am I missing by kinda ignoring the silkwire and/or wyvern-riding gameplay mechanics (or whatever it was called) in combat? I did the tutorial but it just felt clunky and annoying so while hunting I just played normally, but Mizu took me a fair bit to beat. >.> (Playing solo, don't have online with Nintendo)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As someone who has not regularly played MonHun in a long, long time (MH3U for 3DS being my last regularly played title, though I have attempted to get into every single one since then too), the wire bugs are both awesome as hell and really overwhelming due to the extra layer of control they stack on top of it.

I'm at the very least glad I don't have to play this claw style. I'd just nope the fuck out entirely if that was the case.

That said, if I can push back that sense of being overwhelmed by the layers of controls going on all the time, I think I will really, really enjoy the baseline gameplay design here.

But, due to the technical limitations of the Switch and my current spoiled attitude from new gen consoles and high framerates, I think I'm gonna wait for the PC release for higher FPS and hopefully better net play.

Game seems great, I just need to get myself adjusted to the controls.
Honesty, you can leave the wirebugs and focus on MonHun as it always was, and then build them in later. I found it all a bit confusing at first and triple carted in my first hunt after 1k+ hours of MonHun, as I was too busy trying to get my head around wirebugs, mounting and all the slight tweaks to the moveset all at the same time. I went back to basics and ignored wirebugs for a few hunts to get my hunting style back in, and now I'm really enjoying the way they round out the moveset. I expect in the main game where you can chop and change your combat abilities and swap out one of your wirebug combat moves for another (assuming the data mine going around is correct), it'll be much easier when you can customise exactly the moveset you want.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How much am I missing by kinda ignoring the silkwire and/or wyvern-riding gameplay mechanics (or whatever it was called) in combat? I did the tutorial but it just felt clunky and annoying so while hunting I just played normally, but Mizu took me a fair bit to beat. >.> (Playing solo, don't have online with Nintendo)
Wyvern riding- not much at all. It's a fun mini game for turf wars, but most of the time if I mount one I just have it launch itself at a cliff until I dismount so I can keep hitting it.

Wirebugs- they aren't essential at all, but do add a lot of mobility. Classic MH combat is more than enough to get through the demo hunts, and in the main game it'll all be explained better anyway. They shouldn't be necessary to pull down Mitsutzune. What are you using?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wyvern riding- not much at all. It's a fun mini game for turf wars, but most of the time if I mount one I just have it launch itself at a cliff until I dismount so I can keep hitting it.

Wirebugs- they aren't essential at all, but do add a lot of mobility. Classic MH combat is more than enough to get through the demo hunts, and in the main game it'll all be explained better anyway. They shouldn't be necessary to pull down Mitsutzune. What are you using?
i used wirebugs to dodge.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Wirebugs- they aren't essential at all, but do add a lot of mobility. Classic MH combat is more than enough to get through the demo hunts, and in the main game it'll all be explained better anyway. They shouldn't be necessary to pull down Mitsutzune anyway. What are you using?
Gotcha. I did beat Mizutsune, but carted twice and had trouble avoiding a lot of its attacks, including the bubble spam, so I was actually low on potions when I finally did it. I used the the switch axe. I'm a decently experienced MH player too (played lots and lots of Tri and 3U, a fair bit of World (just not Iceobrne), and a fair bit of MH Generations U), I was never all that good at the game but I still managed to hold my own, so I was surprised at much how much trouble Mizu gave me.

Still, I remember Mizu from Generations but I don't remember having that much trouble with it, but maybe I'm misremembering. So I figured, maybe it's because I kind of ignored the wirebug thingie, I dunno. Or I'm just rusty.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Wyvern riding? You can probably ignore that for the most part, since even if you're actively trying to mount the monster you're unlikely to get more than one per hunt, but it's definitely worth trying to learn the wirebug because of the mobility it affords you. It takes a few missions to acclimatise to the controls but it's worth it for how fluid it makes hunts and how many movement options and strategies it allows for.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw two shrines in the thin river on the left side of the map when playing earlier.
Thanks, I'll have to check that.

Poor Rathian, stuck with the same moveset for over a decade.

wz03m9o62dm31.png
Rathian did get new moves in 4th gen though. The one where she rushes you and then spins with a horizontal tail spin comes to mind. There's also one where she rushes at you and jumping tail flips, though I forget if that's exclusive to one of the subspecies.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gotcha. I did beat Mizutsune, but carted twice and had trouble avoiding a lot of its attacks, including the bubble spam, so I was actually low on potions when I finally did it. I used the the switch axe. I'm a decently experienced MH player too (played lots and lots of Tri and 3U, a fair bit of World (just not Iceobrne), and a fair bit of MH Generations U), I was never all that good at the game but I still managed to hold my own, so I was surprised at much how much trouble Mizu gave me.

Still, I remember Mizu from Generations but I don't remember having that much trouble with it, but maybe I'm misremembering. So I figured, maybe it's because I kind of ignored the wirebug thingie, I dunno. Or I'm just rusty.
It's a combination of the supplied Hunter kit likely being comparatively weaker than what you fought it with last time, and also the short health bar because we don't have the food options, I think. It doesn't give much room for mistakes if you get hit with waterblight and are fumbling for a nulberry. There's more healing in the world now, you can grab any green bubbles for healing and Red for an attack boost, but you'll still need cleanser to get the soap status effect off :D

Wirebugs are useful in that, instead of dodging through the beam attacks, you can go up and over while closing the distance, and also use it for evasion, not to mention the special moves. But honestly I find the dog equally useful at the moment for the speed boost while using items, and then getting me back in close. I pretty much ignored all three of the dog, wirebug and mounting for a few hunts while I got settled back into the basics after at least a year of not playing though.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I finally took at look at the data mine, and holy shit this is absolutely shaping up to be the best Monster Hunter.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
LBG fans, anyone know what determines the damage on the land mine thing? Getting different numbers sometimes and it's hard to tell if it's based on the body part or the attack used to ignite it.

I learned during my research on bow/bowgun moves that the explosion damage is based on the damage of the attack that triggers the explosion. There are different tresholds, but interestingly going bigger isn't always better as land mines have more small explosions in them than large ones before running out of charge and getting all of the small explosions does more damage total than all the possible max size ones put together.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing that helped me most with Mizu is that it really pays to keep your distance most of the time. If you keep away from it, you'll miss being hit by most of its charges and thrash attacks, and it'll give you much more time to react to the bubbles flying everywhere. Plus, being far away makes it easier to learn what the tells for each attack are. The wirebug makes it *very* easy to dash in with ZL+A, get a quick attack in, then dash back out again to safety - I found myself getting hit by Mizu an awful lot more before I started using the wirebug to quickly advance and retreat when things started getting dangerous!
Huuh ok ,ill try tjay thanks!

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I'd argue wyvern riding lets you get huge amounts of damage on the target monster at absolutely no risk to yourself. It's very, very powerful, especially because launching one monster into another instantly puts the target into a mountable state, so you can get a free 300~ damage on top of whatever melee attacks you landed on your target beforehand

Oct 25, 2017
Wyvern riding is weird at first, but I think I'll end up liking it more than mounting because even though it seems more intrusive at first it's actually less. You essentially only get one per hunt, and the timing of when you get off the monster is up to you. If you're in the mood you can mess around with it for a long time, but if you just wanna brawl you just launch them right away and get back into the fight.

The only thing I'd change is getting rid of activating it on hit and force players to activate it by holding A. That way players who really hate it can just keep smacking the monster.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I feel ya... I probably killed that mizu monster like 5 times at this point.

And just beat it again with IG. Yeah I need to stop. I don't want to burn myself before the full game release lol

What you want to do is lunch the monster 3 times to the wall successfully. Alot of free damage. I wouldn't bother with the rest of the mini game.