• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
What's the advantage of it being that way? As someone who hasn't played the previous games, it seems... bad, to me. Why punish folks if they're unable or unwilling to play multiplayer?
I had no idea this is how it worked in games before world either, here's hoping that given how well iceborne was received they'll stick to that format when the inevitable big expansion comes out, iceborne's far and away some of the best content in world so I'd be gutted if the rise equivalent was basically multiplayer only

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.
I feel your pain
I still get carted consistently with Rathian in thr demo(and Mitzune is..sheesh)

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I went from not being able to beat Mizutune in 50 mins to beating it in 35 mins to now being able to beat it, Rathian and Izuchi in one hunt. The growth. I love this new long sword. Hammer is next. Game is great. Literally the only thing I want is higher resolution. (Prays for enhanced Switch)
MH is honestly on another level when it comes progression and growth as a player. It's so good. I really want the game now lol.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking suck so very terribly bad at this game. And really, I've sucked profoundly at every Monster Hunter I've ever played. I can never understand what monster's tells are and when fighting against quicker and more slippery enemies like Mizutsune it just means I eat pretty much every single attack they deliver. I've bought MH Tri and MH World before and sucked horribly at both, only really progressing throughout the easier hunts in the game by tanking hits, healing pretty much constantly and sometimes avoiding damage by sheer miracle.

I have absolutely no idea how to get better at this fucking franchise. Maybe it's just not for me.
This might come off as patronizing, but you're supposed to dodge the attacks and learn the monsters' movesets, not murder them effortlessly first try by spamming attacks without any thought for the consequences.

This video is required watching, imo

Oct 25, 2017
Beginner weapon seems like kind of a loaded term when it comes to monster Hunter, but I'd suggest any weapon that you can block with or any weapon with low resource management requirements. But even then that might not be the right answer for some because even if something like the great sword might fit those requirements, you still might not find that weapon beginner friendly due to the high level of commitment each attack requires and how often you'll be putting yourself in harms way.

I honestly think people should just pick the one they think is the coolest then look up a guide on how to use it, regardless of complexity. Charge blade was my first weapon, and yeah, it's more complicated, but I just thought it was cool. And having a decent shield helped me personally in a way that "easier" weapons like dual blades and long sword couldn't.

If you're good enough at games in general you can learn even the most complex weapons as long as you're actually interested in them and find one you think is cool. None of them come close to reaching the level of complexity found in some games like dmc or fighting games. And even the simplest weapons have extra stuff that you'll probably need to look up a guide for anyway. So I don't think you'll ever really avoid the need for a YouTube tutorial They're all kind of in this interesting middle ground where anyone can learn any weapon, but every weapon has its quirks and requires a certain level of commitment.

So really, what do you want to do? Do you want want to bash faces and worry about positioning over combos? Use the hammer. Maybe you like the focus on positioning, but the hammer is too risky? Ok, pick the lance. You'll lose out on the meaty hits, but you'll be super safe 90% of the time and you can focus on pinpoint accuracy. Etc.

Maybe it'll work differently for some people, but for me the series and the weapons were never beginner friendly. It wasn't until I focused on what I thought was the coolest and most interesting that I really got into it.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
I feel your pain
I still get carted consistently with Rathian in thr demo(and Mitzune is..sheesh)
I think the thing that helped me most with Mizu is that it really pays to keep your distance most of the time. If you keep away from it, you'll miss being hit by most of its charges and thrash attacks, and it'll give you much more time to react to the bubbles flying everywhere. Plus, being far away makes it easier to learn what the tells for each attack are. The wirebug makes it *very* easy to dash in with ZL+A, get a quick attack in, then dash back out again to safety - I found myself getting hit by Mizu an awful lot more before I started using the wirebug to quickly advance and retreat when things started getting dangerous!

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
It is soo much fun to just explore the map, the endemic life stuff is great. Finding stuff you can use on the hunt and gathering resources, really adds to the overall atmosphere of the game.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
What's the advantage of it being that way? As someone who hasn't played the previous games, it seems... bad, to me. Why punish folks if they're unable or unwilling to play multiplayer?
Well it creates an environment where people are feeling like by playing together they are actually helping each other, which they are in old style games. It feeds into the more personal feel of the lobbies of old Monster Hunter, where everyone would join in and see each other, greet each other, check out each other's equipment, change loadouts to better balance your party makeup, exchange guild cards, eat together, and head out on quests together. It wasn't uncommon to play together for hours at a time.

With the lobbies set up for you to actually take notice of your hunting buddies and see them as people rather than ghostly NPCs that randomly show up for 4 minutes then disappear never to be seen again, it's satisfying to join a lobby know that you're actually, definitely helping someone by joining their quest... just as long as you don't triple cart. Meanwhile in World, if someone not that great at the game joins a quest it may make it harder for everyone else in a few ways because of how the scaling works. I like how MH has been set up to encourage a pro-social culture--it's one of the reasons the community is good and not full of toxic shitbags--and setting the monster HP the same for solo and multiplayer does help that.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This might come off as patronizing, but you're supposed to dodge the attacks and learn the monsters' movesets, not murder them effortlessly first try by spamming attacks without any thought for the consequences.

This video is required watching, imo

I don't think it's a good idea to tell new, overwhelmed players they need to watch a video explaining how to i-frame attacks. Outside of Plesioth and Nargacuga there's like nothing in at least the last few generations that actually requires you to use i-frames to effectively fight a monster. Positioning yourself outside of the hitbox is like 10 times more important to know in this series than rolling through a hitbox.

Also, if you read the actual post, he says the issue is he can't figure out the monster's tells, so obviously he's attempting to learn them.

Try going for Rathian instead. There's nothing in the demo forcing you to fight Mizu after all. Rathian's tells are a lot more obvious and she's a more straightforward monster in general. Mizu is a tough monster to figure out with very slippery moves, you're right.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While the Hunting Horn is even more awesome than ever, I still like the subdued stoic nature of the Lance. I mean, I'm just standing there, and the monster is there, and I'm doing *something* and then suddenly a tail flies off and monsters die. If you think about it, in a weird sort of way, the Lance equalizes the playing field since it now has an attack that necessitates tying yourself down like a monster while you take a hit. The bungee attack is pretty cool but that other one is just peak Lance.

Also there is that whole multi-directional guard-pointing which is, well, I'm not going to complain about being given ultra-instinct guarding, so thanks for that!

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
So this is probably a dumb question given the title of the franchise, but figured I'd ask anyway. Are there any alternatives to actually killing the monsters in these games? I thought Monster Hunter Stories was a flawed but still very enjoyable game, mostly because of the monsters themselves. The monster riding mechanic looks really cool, but I think I'd feel bad slaying a cutesy bubble dragon like Mizutsune, especially given the lore around them.

Part of me wishes there was a way to keep monsters that you've "tamed" with the wyvern riding mechanic.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you found Great Wirebugs in the field or otherwise know how to get them? I'm not talking about ones already placed, I mean collecting more to put new ones down. I booted the game up again and found there were 4 in my inventory whereas I think I didn't have any some time ago. I read a comment implying they're supposed to be found randomly in the field but that person may have been talking out their ass because I have not been able to find any.
Just saw two shrines in the thin river on the left side of the map when playing earlier.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this is probably a dumb question given the title of the franchise, but figured I'd ask anyway. Are there any alternatives to actually killing the monsters in these games? I thought Monster Hunter Stories was a flawed but still very enjoyable game, mostly because of the monsters themselves. The monster riding mechanic looks really cool, but I think I'd feel bad slaying a cutesy bubble dragon like Mizutsune, especially given the lore around them.

Part of me wishes there was a way to keep monsters that you've "tamed" with the wyvern riding mechanic.

You can catch normal monsters with traps + tranquilizer bombs(shots), and some quests will fail if kill a target instead of capturing it, but all elder dragons have to be killed (or repelled). In MHW at least, you can see the last monster you trapped sleeping in the village.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

You can choose to capture every single monster in the game other than Elder dragons

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
You can catch normal monsters with traps + tranquilizer bombs(shots), and some quests will fail if kill a target instead of capturing it, but all elder dragons have to be killed (or repelled). In MHW at least, you can see the last monster you trapped sleeping in the village.
You can choose to capture every single monster in the game other than Elder dragons

Oh huh, that sounds awesome. Will definitely give the demo a download. Thanks.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized we might have to use endemic life to buff our health to max. I really hope that is not the case. I want to be able to just eat and have max health in addition to the food skills.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
i really hope the hunting horn is as good as it seems and isn't just overtuned damage/equipment wise for the demo since it is the most changed and they want people to be excited for it

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Huh, the locked-on target flashes on the map when it's ready for capture. Is that something they added in World, making the capture skill redundant?

Just had a great scrap with Rathian, the Lance silkbite move that tethers you to them is great vs fliers as you can inflict big hits in midair and it keeps you up and away from where their attacks are going on. The new counter moves are great for making the most of when you need to bunker down from tail swipes too.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, the locked-on target flashes on the map when it's ready for capture. Is that something they added in World, making the capture skill redundant?

Just had a great scrap with Rathian, the Lance silkbite move that tethers you to them is great vs fliers as you can inflict big hits in midair and it keeps you up and away from where their attacks are going on. The new counter moves are great for making the most of when you need to bunker down from tail swipes too.
So in World you just had to pick up one track from a monster in order to know when it was ready for capture. It might just be a default feature in Rise?

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Well it creates an environment where people are feeling like by playing together they are actually helping each other, which they are in old style games. It feeds into the more personal feel of the lobbies of old Monster Hunter, where everyone would join in and see each other, greet each other, check out each other's equipment, change loadouts to better balance your party makeup, exchange guild cards, eat together, and head out on quests together. It wasn't uncommon to play together for hours at a time.

With the lobbies set up for you to actually take notice of your hunting buddies and see them as people rather than ghostly NPCs that randomly show up for 4 minutes then disappear never to be seen again, it's satisfying to join a lobby know that you're actually, definitely helping someone by joining their quest... just as long as you don't triple cart. Meanwhile in World, if someone not that great at the game joins a quest it may make it harder for everyone else in a few ways because of how the scaling works. I like how MH has been set up to encourage a pro-social culture--it's one of the reasons the community is good and not full of toxic shitbags--and setting the monster HP the same for solo and multiplayer does help that.

Yeah, I can see the draw of that. For me, as someone who only plays with friends or solo, I definitely prefer the new system. And even in the new system, the increase goes 1x - 1.7x - 2.3x - 2.3x, so each additional person isn't an another solo worth of health. At 4x it's pretty much the old system, as that was stuck at double HP?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really tough to pull out Iai Spirit Slash with Long Sword but it's extremely satisfying to land... need to train more.

Hopefully we get video guides for all the weapons soon, even though it's still the demo lol

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If they pull the "you gotta do multiplayer to get any real G rank stuff solo" thing again I'm going to be so annoyed, especially now that they brought the split hub back.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Try going for Rathian instead. There's nothing in the demo forcing you to fight Mizu after all. Rathian's tells are a lot more obvious and she's a more straightforward monster in general. Mizu is a tough monster to figure out with very slippery moves, you're right.
Poor Rathian, stuck with the same moveset for over a decade.

wz03m9o62dm31.png

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Why the heck are people I'm playing with online never healing lol? I see them at low health and standing right next to a heal bubble so even if they don't have a potion which I doubt they have no excuse. Then they get one shot by a monster. Must be consistently getting matched with noobs but still even noobs could probably heal....probably done playing this online with randoms for now lol

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Poor Rathian, stuck with the same moveset for over a decade.

wz03m9o62dm31.png

That bitch Rathian doesn't get sympathy from me, her moves might be the same 15 years but she still has the most bullshit wombo combo at times.

Tailwhips you with poison and hurles you away and either finishes you off with a fireball while you try to chug a antidote or you she just does that dumb waddle of her and walks over you a bunch of times stunning you and fires a fireball, or you just die of poison while you stand there stunned.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Just played this online with my MHW squadmates. Between the crappy online and having to use Discord on our phones to voice chat, the whole experience was a little bit sour and frustrating. The online issue may be fixable, but there is nothing we can really do about the chatting. This shouldn't be an issue in 2021 lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If she does then I didn't notice either.
I didn't see any either. Charge, fireballs, tail swipe, tail spike on launch. Same old, same old.
So in World you just had to pick up one track from a monster in order to know when it was ready for capture. It might just be a default feature in Rise?
Ah fair enough. Seeing as there's no tranqs in the demo I guess they've decided to make it standard for a monster you're targeting.

So much of the general upkeep stuff has been streamlined now. Being able to restock all your supplies is massive. Infinite farcasters, whetstones, BBQ spit, fishing rod and pickaxe all taking up no space in your pouch. I guess it's a cool QOL thing but I kinda miss the resource management aspect and having to make do with what you have. There seem more healing effects out in the wild too.

Loving the endemic life though. I just make a point of trying out anything I happen to pick up. Not sure how much I'll use them but it nice to see cute small creatures that aren't just an annoyance.