• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing anything with the whole charge switch aspect of the Hammer? It just changes the default charge attack from a circular swinging attack to a lunge, right? Nothing else? No effect on charges silkbind attacks?

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I strongly dislike the graphics in portable mode. Sub-native resolution coupled with a sharpening filter always looks bad.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing anything with the whole charge switch aspect of the Hammer? It just changes the default charge attack from a circular swinging attack to a lunge, right? Nothing else? No effect on charges silkbind attacks?
You get a new combo out of level 3 yellow charge with the hammer

If you exit the spin early, you skip to the last two hits of BBC, if you do the golf swing out of the spin, it skips to the last hit of the BBC. Blue charge is kind of like Valor Hammer on demand, and there's a new transition from blue to yellow charge that gives you a free level 3 charge.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
After turning off damage and blood effects I'm starting to get into it. Still feels super different from what I remember about Monster Hunter, but I had some fun. Can you lock on the enemy?

locking onto large monsters

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
After turning off damage and blood effects I'm starting to get into it. Still feels super different from what I remember about Monster Hunter, but I had some fun. Can you lock on the enemy?
Yeah there's a couple of different ways. Clicking the right stick to cycle through the monster icons in the top right will place a yellow crosshair on it on the map, tapping L will then centre the camera on the target. Alternatively, go into settings and in the camera options there's an 'auto-focus' option that centres on what you're fighting. I found this a bit temperamental though, and prefer the former.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You get a new combo out of level 3 yellow charge with the hammer

If you exit the spin early, you skip to the last two hits of BBC, if you do the golf swing out of the spin, it skips to the last hit of the BBC. Blue charge is kind of like Valor Hammer on demand, and there's a new transition from blue to yellow charge that gives you a free level 3 charge.

Hmmm sounds like I need to play around with it more, it's hard to get a sense just from reading.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah there's a couple of different ways. Clicking the right stick to cycle through the monster icons in the top right will place a yellow crosshair on it on the map, tapping L will then centre the camera on the target. Alternatively, go into settings and in the camera options there's an 'auto-focus' option that centres on what you're fighting. I found this a bit temperamental though, and prefer the former.
Iirc, I used to activate the auto-focus for the first hours and then let it go once the combat clicks.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I've been advised to perform the Big Bang Combo with the hammer when enemies are stunned, anyone care to explain how to perform it to a newbie to MonHun ?

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Asking again for a new page - when I was first fighting Mizu, I was getting battered around a lot, but I never got stunned no matter how frequently I got hit. Is this just me, or have they changed the threshold for getting stunned? Or, even better...
gotten rid of that horrid mechanic??

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to play it in portable mode - really impressed with how it looks. Capcom knocked it out of the park - i can see my self spending hundreds of hours on this one. TV Mode is nice but portable is what i been looking for.

Next 2 1/2 months will be rough.

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again for a new page - when I was first fighting Mizu, I was getting battered around a lot, but I never got stunned no matter how frequently I got hit. Is this just me, or have they changed the threshold for getting stunned? Or, even better...

I've never gotten stunned and have not seen it happen in any videos so I think it's definitely not in the demo. I highly doubt it's gone for good though.

Last edited:

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
I've been advised to perform the Big Bang Combo with the hammer when enemies are stunned, anyone care to explain how to perform it to a newbie to MonHun ?
It sounds fancier than it is, literally all you have to do is press 'A' repeatedly. Once the monster is stunned, walk up to its head, mash 'A' and voila. Note that the combo ends should you miss, so make sure you hit the thing. That's why it's almost exclusively used when the monster is stunned.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yesterday I asked for a brief rundown on ranged options for a mainly multiplayer focused side weapon.

Digging into it a bit further myself, it seems like the bow is actually kinda high maintenance to get the most out of it, while the bowguns are more pick-up-and-play friendly. Are the status effects on the LBG decent enough to build for or are they just there but barely worth using?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Wow...HH is ridiculous OP. I killed all 3 monsters (Izuchi, Rathian and Mizu) in 29 minutes lol.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

I swear I got stunned. Think it was by Arzuros. Even got a text pop-up telling me to wiggle the stick to shake out of it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I asked for a brief rundown on ranged options for a mainly multiplayer focused side weapon.

Digging into it a bit further myself, it seems like the bow is actually kinda high maintenance to get the most out of it, while the bowguns are more pick-up-and-play friendly. Are the status effects on the LBG decent enough to build for or are they just there but barely worth using?
LBG is arguably the best status weapon alongside dual blades

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
I swear I got stunned. Think it was by Arzuros. Even got a text pop-up telling me to wiggle the stick to shake out of it.
Yeh, Arzuros definitely stunned me as well. The effect looks different compared to World, but it is still there.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
I've never gotten stunned and have seen it happen in any videos so I think it's definitely not in the demo. I highly doubt it's gone for good though.
Hrmm, thanks - maybe it's just more forgiving in rise? There've been times when I've gotten knocked back and all my wirebug icons got crossed out (and they stopped recharging temporarily,) so I couldn't wiredash out of the animation - but maybe I'm mistaken and I just had no charges left.

I know it's unlikely but I reeeeally hope stun goes away, it just feels like an unnecessarily cruel way of punishing new players who are struggling and aren't used to the mechanics yet - if you've been hit enough to cause stun you've probably lost a lot of health already, I don't see why that alone isn't punishment enough when getting stunned may as well just be a death sentence

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how much fun the Wirebug stuff is, especially the new movement options it adds for stuff like Great Sword.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
What's a good beginner weapon for someone who never really played a MH game?

Probably a fast and simple weapon, like sword and shield, dual blades, or the hammer. Once you sort get the hang of attacking with one, it's very worth trying the rest of the weapons to see what clicks for you. Finding the weapon that matches your playstyle really makes the game.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That sounds like a pin? He did that to me too.

Nah. He did that, too. Or maybe it was Rathian. But this was the standing in place all wobbly animation.

I know it's unlikely but I reeeeally hope stun goes away, it just feels like an unnecessarily cruel way of punishing new players who are struggling and aren't used to the mechanics yet - if you've been hit enough to cause stun you've probably lost a lot of health already, I don't see why that alone isn't punishment enough when getting stunned may as well just be a death sentence

Losing stuns would feel like losing the drinking pose. And with wirebugs giving players new tools to quickly get out of getting comboed to death, monsters probably need the stun more than ever. Gotta keep fights fair.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Probalby going to use the Bow for Group Hunts. I have taken a liking to it but probalby going to main a melee based weapon as well in case.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I went from not being able to beat Mizutune in 50 mins to beating it in 35 mins to now being able to beat it, Rathian and Izuchi in one hunt. The growth. I love this new long sword. Hammer is next. Game is great. Literally the only thing I want is higher resolution. (Prays for enhanced Switch)

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020

What type of games you prefer? If 3rd person shooters are your cup of tea, go for Light Bowgun and for Bow as well. If you have a long history with soulslikes, then you should try Dual Blades or Sword&Shield. If you dig racing games or puzzle games... pick any weapon and see where the wind takes you?

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like I've got the hang of the new HH now. Beat Mizu in around 15 mins this time. It's very different but still feels similar in the ways that are important...still that big payoff for landing the recital into whatever the special song is called.

You'll get a million answers here but my recommendation is usually Hammer. It may seem slow and clunky but teaches you good habits for MH and is very simple. It feels good to land charged hits on the monster's head and you get immediate positive feedback in the form of KOs. I actually haven't tried it in Rise yet but I assume the good old basic strategy of charge pound to the head until it falls over still applies.

The main problem I had when learning it initially was training myself to stop before letting go of the charge button so that I wouldn't just spin around like an idiot all the time.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Great Sword, Hammer, Hunting Horn.

Or whatever looks cool to you.
i started with hammer. Easy mechanics. Aim for the monsters' head. Enjoy :)
Probably a fast and simple weapon, like sword and shield, dual blades, or the hammer. Once you sort get the hang of attacking with one, it's very worth trying the rest of the weapons to see what clicks for you. Finding the weapon that matches your playstyle really makes the game.
I recommend Insect glaive, it's the weapon that got me into the monster hunter series

It's not simple per say, it's fast, and has a bit enough of complexity to keep it intriguing, and great mobility options
I can vouch for dual blades.
What type of games you prefer? If 3rd person shooters are your cup of tea, go for Light Bowgun and for Bow as well. If you have a long history with soulslikes, then you should try Dual Blades or Sword&Shield. If you dig racing games or puzzle games... pick any weapon and see where the wind takes you?
You'll get a million answers here but my recommendation is usually Hammer. It may seem slow and clunky but teaches you good habits for MH and is very simple. It feels good to land charged hits on the monster's head and you get immediate positive feedback in the form of KOs. I actually haven't tried it in Rise yet but I assume the good old basic strategy of charge pound to the head until it falls over still applies.

The main problem I had when learning it initially was training myself to stop before letting go of the charge button so that I wouldn't just spin around like an idiot all the time.
Lol thanks to all of you. I think I'll try Dual Blades first, then Hammer.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Sword and Shield is definitely the most beginner friendly, since you can block or dodge. Blocking an attack will take a chunk out of your stamina, chip damage out of your health, and can knock you back. Dodging only costs a small amount of stamina and you won't take any damage, but you need fairly good timing. So dodging is preferable, but if you're unsure and want to play it defensively, just hold up your shield. The moveset and mechanics of the SnS are also relatively simple.

Once you get comfortable with Sword and Shield, try out the other weapons. You can't block with dual blades, longsword, or hammer, so you'll have to get good at dodging. If you prefer blocking like a tank, try lance or gunlance. Greatsword is like a slow but beefed up Sword and Shield. If you watch Youtube guides for the weapons in MH World that will give you a close enough idea.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
It was a homogenized MR rank for solo and multiplayer whereas the old games put G rank in the multiplayer hub, which meant the monsters were balanced for multiplayer even if you were soloing.

What's the advantage of it being that way? As someone who hasn't played the previous games, it seems... bad, to me. Why punish folks if they're unable or unwilling to play multiplayer?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you found Great Wirebugs in the field or otherwise know how to get them? I'm not talking about ones already placed, I mean collecting more to put new ones down. I booted the game up again and found there were 4 in my inventory whereas I think I didn't have any some time ago. I read a comment implying they're supposed to be found randomly in the field but that person may have been talking out their ass because I have not been able to find any.

Last edited: