• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And here I am enjoying both world and rise.

I kinda get how some people may have complaints from game to game, but also, the games are constantly doing different things with each entry just like Mario or Zelda. So you'd think people would be used to it by now. It seems pointless to get all up in arms over something that's just gonna get removed later anyway. With these types of series I tend to just enjoy the ride.

Not that there isn't legitimate criticism here and there, but I would've assumed that people who already enjoyed the series as a whole would be more open to these various changes between entries.
I completely agree. Imagine if every monster hunter game was exactly the same as world from here on out with just better graphics every time. That would be incredibly lame.
I am happy to see experimentation in the franchise to try new things and new mechanics.

world was great, and it appears rise will be great too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...what does it do for tracking the monster outside of it all being automatic in the demo?
they just show the position of monsters on the map as question marks until you spot them

n8f0k81zqh461.png

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I can see why people like this series after playing the demo, but it's really not for me.

Maybe I'm lacking patience, but the controls along with the interface are far too messy for my liking.

You should try different weapons and it does take some getting use to. I didn't play a ton of world since I dont own a PS4 and I was completely lost on a lot of thr new weapon mechanics. And there are so many mechanics in this game so there is a lot to learn. If you play an easier weapon like sword and shield or hammer then you can do damage while figuring out the other mechanics.

dwix85

Nov 15, 2017
Just did my first real run with Gunlance after not quite digging it on my first hunt... Wow. That thing is a beast. Granted its normal shelling type so the burst is the way to go but damn. Being able to do the standard slam burst, go right into the silkbind slam burst, then (sometimes) go into Wyvern Fire - soooo much damage.

The lack of mobility was tough against Mizu, but took down Rathian and Izuchi without breaking a sweat. I think I need to use more of the sheathed wirebug movement to get around. I also still need to see how the silkbind for block + sharpness works, but initial impression is that I can't upkeep that enough for it to matter. Granted the burst chews through sharpness like crazy.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I completely agree. Imagine if every monster hunter game was exactly the same as world from here on out with just better graphics every time. That would be incredibly lame.
I am happy to see experimentation in the franchise to try new things and new mechanics.

world was great, and it appears rise will be great too.

Give me my Monster Hunter Legacy Edition ;)

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The title screen is so good. And the game runs and looks great in handheld mode.

What I really dont like is that they streamlined all the gathering aspect of the game.

The gathering of herbs, mushrooms and honey is such an integral part of the game because it really makes you feel like a cromagnon.

Yeah that there doesn't even seems to be an animation for it is a shame.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You should try different weapons and it does take some getting use to. I didn't play a ton of world since I dont own a PS4 and I was completely lost on a lot of thr new weapon mechanics. And there are so many mechanics in this game so there is a lot to learn. If you play an easier weapon like sword and shield or hammer then you can do damage while figuring out the other mechanics.
This is definitely a thing that helped me. The simpler melee weapons (sword and shield, dual swords, Lance, hammer, GS etc) are much easier to learn than ones requiring monitoring some level of upkeep like charge blade, switch axe etc. Not to the degree that the others are super-complex, but if you're already struggling with getting your head around MonHun and it's unique quirks and gameplay loop in general while building in wirebugs, a simple weapon can at least help you settle in until it clicks. I always recommend learning a couple anyway, as some weapons are inevitably much better than others for certain marks, particularly those that are hard to pin down due to speed, flight or heavy armour etc.

Also the more weapons you are comfortable with, the more options you'll have to upgrade to new tiers of weapons sooner with the random loot you acquire. Once I was struggling to get the Lance parts I needed to make better lances, but found the bits I had could forge and upgrade a killer Greatsword that was a tier higher. It was super effective and made getting the Lance bits I needed that bit easier, as well as giving me the incentive to keep practicing with something else for a few hours. Being a bit flexible with your armoury to keep your options open will help you advance, especially in single player where hunts are taking you longer and so upgrading is slower.

Last edited:

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
SnS feels like old version with some world moves thrown in, tho missing spin slash making it less fluid.

On the other hand hammer feels amazing, really like the changes. Might try and main hammer this game.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely a thing that helped me. The simpler melee weapons (sword and shield, dual swords, Lance, hammer, GS etc) are much easier to learn than ones requiring monitoring some level of upkeep like charge blade, switch axe etc. Not to the degree that the others are super-complex, but if you're already struggling with getting your head around MonHun and it's unique quirks and gameplay loop in general while building in wirebugs, a simple weapon can at least help you settle in until it clicks. I always recommend learning a couple anyway, as some weapons are inevitably much better than others for certain marks, particularly those that are hard to pin down due to speed, flight or heavy armour etc.

I played Long Sword and Hammer in Generation Ultimate and feel lost with all the new mechanics that happened since World and Iceborne. Just gotta work at it. I dont have great dexterity so integrating all the new things plus the wirebugs has been tough. But the more I play the easier it becomes. It isnt took bad.

Not every series can be fully enjoyed just based off a demo. Sometimes you have to put in some time to better understand the mechanics

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017

Also the more weapons you are comfortable with, the more options you'll have to upgrade to new tiers of weapons sooner with the random loot you acquire. Once I was struggling to get the Lance parts I needed to make better lances, but found the bits I had could forge and upgrade a killer Greatsword that was a tier higher. It was super effective and made getting the Lance bits I needed that bit easier, as well as giving me the incentive to keep practicing with something else for a few hours. Being a bit flexible with your armoury to keep your options open will help you advance, especially in single player where hunts are taking you longer and so upgrading is slower.
And rng that will fight you and your current weapon.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I played Long Sword and Hammer in Generation Ultimate and feel lost with all the new mechanics that happened since World and Iceborne. Just gotta work at it. I dont have great dexterity so integrating all the new things plus the wirebugs has been tough. But the more I play the easier it becomes. It isnt took bad.

Not every series can be fully enjoyed just based off a demo. Sometimes you have to put in some time to better understand the mechanics
Yeah, it defo took me about 3 hours of play to settle back in as the last one I played was GU too. All the stuff that was new in MHW is new to me too, and using wirebugs in combat was a disaster for me until I'd got my muscle memory back in for the basics. If I was starting MonHun new, I'd definitely try to keep it simple and worry about wirebugs in combat and mounting after getting the hang of attacking and not getting hit with a weapon or two. It'll all be explained in the main SP campaign anyway, people will be complaining that they didn't even see a large monster for the first couple hours :D

NotSoren

Jul 15, 2020
So I played it for a while in handheld mode and it looks pretty good. Just a shame that I probably had unreasonable expectations for how it would look in docked mode but that's on me. I personally love the armor designs and traversal options in Rise way more compared to World. So I am going to probably buy it for handheld in march and later for pc unless the mythical Switch Pro actually exists.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
omg.
i just tried light bow gun for the first time.
For some reason in the other games I never tried any of the long range weapon because they always seemed so intimidating with all the UI and ammo types.
But I think I have fallen in love with the LBG. I just kicked so much ass and used like 2 potions the entire mission.

it honestly feels like a different game.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I've played probably 10-15 hours of Monster Hunter across several demos and I still feel like there is something fundamental about the combat I'm just not getting. It never feels really tactile, it barely registers that hits are being landed or monsters are reacting.

I basically do this:
-wait for a monster's attack animation to end for an opening
-run in and unleash one or maybe two of the slow, clunky combos (where see above for the lack of feeling like I'm actually hitting anything)
-try to run away or dodge in time, but usually get hit while putting my weapon away
-drink some potion
repeat

Is this basically it? Or is there more speed and elegance involved that I'm completely missing? I think I need to look up some weapon tutorials on youtube or something.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've played probably 10-15 hours of Monster Hunter across several demos and I still feel like there is something fundamental about the combat I'm just not getting. It never feels really tactile, it barely registers that hits are being landed or monsters are reacting.

I basically do this:
-run in and unleash one or maybe two of the slow, clunky combos (where see above for the lack of feeling like I'm actually hitting anything)
-try to run away or dodge in time, but usually get hit while putting my weapon away
-drink some potion
repeat

Is this basically it? Or is there more speed and elegance involved that I'm completely missing? I think I need to look up some weapon tutorials on youtube or something.
There's also breaking monster parts, inflicting statuses like exhaustion or knockout, setting traps, etc.

But that's basically it, yes. And getting better so you can do it faster every time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I basically do this:
-drink some potion
repeat

There's more to it than this. Some weapons use timed dodges and blocks to increase damage output or counter, generally the basic combos exist to keep notching up damage after your draw attacks and before your more powerful ones, and as opportunistic damage too. The more you fight a monster the more you should be avoiding getting hit, or blocking, by learning it's tells. That's why there's so many videos of veteran hunters in older games going into hunts against endgame creatures wearing no armour at all. It's not just about learning the weapons, they aren't the most complex thing in gaming, it's about learning the monsters too. Mutzusune can be a hard one to learn to read at first though, as it's so fast and agile.

When I first started in Tri, the first big skill test was Barroth, that looks to cover you in mud to slow you down, then charge at you to KO you. It was taking out whole teams of new players like me at first, and then later on I looked back and it seems such an easy and predictable mark now.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't know, I only made two attempts at it and beat it both times. haven't played Generations though
yeah kind of a pushover really. I did get carted a few times because the timings were off here and there but once i got adjusted I just steamrolled that guy with Hammer and Twin Blades. Trying now with Heavy Bow Gun. My main was Lance and Longsword and I will try to not get carted with those.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I've never bothered with longsword after getting tired of being endlessly tripped by LS hunters, but I might have to give it a go this time around
Yeah... unfortunately LS trips a lot players lol. However...I think that's about to change. I went online couple more times today and so many people are using HH not that I blame them considering how OP it is. However... the amount of times I got bashed, tripped and interrupted by HH users in Rise is ridiculous lol...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Been playing some more, changed my weapon to dual blades, and I really like it. Seems like you're more nimble with them compared to switch axe, yet you can do a good amount of DPS as well. When fighting the Great Izuchi, the moment when it gets knocked down is when the blade dance is so cool! Massive amount of damage right there. Still having some trouble understanding the wirebug in combat, seems really hard to pull off any well-aimed moves (and how much damage do you even do?).

The Great Izuchi at one point limped away and I found it asleep. Is it restoring health when it does that?

Been playing some more, changed my weapon to dual blades, and I really like it. Seems like you're more nimble with them compared to switch axe, yet you can do a good amount of DPS as well. When fighting the Great Izuchi, the moment when it gets knocked down is when the blade dance is so cool! Massive amount of damage right there. Still having some trouble understanding the wirebug in combat, seems really hard to pull off any well-aimed moves (and how much damage do you even do?).

The Great Izuchi at one point limped away and I found it asleep. Is it restoring health when it does that?
When a monster is limping, it's near death. That's a telltale sign that it's ready to be captured (can't do this in the demo, but some quests will require you to cap a monster instead of slaying them, and any non-elder dragon monster can be captured at that), or you can finish them off. If they do sleep, they do start regenerating health, but not at a rate where you have to worry about redoing all of your progress to get it down once and for all.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
There's also breaking monster parts, inflicting statuses like exhaustion or knockout, setting traps, etc.

But that's basically it, yes. And getting better so you can do it faster every time.
There's more to it than this. Some weapons use timed dodges and blocks to increase damage output or counter, generally the basic combos exist to keep notching up damage after your draw attacks and before your more powerful ones, and as opportunistic damage too. The more you fight a monster the more you should be avoiding getting hit, or blocking, by learning it's tells. That's why there's so many videos of veteran hunters in older games going into hunts against endgame creatures wearing no armour at all. It's not just about learning the weapons, they aren't the most complex thing in gaming, it's about learning the monsters too. Mutzusune can be a hard one to learn to read at first though, as it's so fast and agile.

When I first started in Tri, the first big skill test was Barroth, that looks to cover you in mud to slow you down, then charge at you to KO you. It was taking out whole teams of new players like me at first, and then later on I looked back and it seems such an easy and predictable mark now.

Yeah, I'm definitely not utilizing the full range of possible offense. I've just never had such a hard time figuring out a game's rhythm.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I'm definitely not utilizing the full range of possible offense. I've just never had such a hard time figuring out a game's rhythm.
It is a fairly unique one, whereas most action games of a similar tempo are much more generous about letting you cancel out of attacks, and don't require you to switch between sheathed and unsheathed for items/dodge/run vs attack. Have you tried just going into the tutorial mission, taking your chosen weapon up to the back of the map, finding the small monsters there, having a look at the Hunter notes for it and just doing drills on every option for 20 minutes? I'd defo recommend that if you're finding the big monsters tough to pull down without exchanging blow for blow. Same goes for settling on a routine that doesn't use your full move set at first. If you can dash in, pull off a draw attack then a combo or whatever the weapon equivalent is, then dodge/block whatever the response is, that's a good base to build up from.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Picking one weapon that vibes with you the most and taking the time to learns its ins and out would definitely help you out.
Each of the weapon types play vastly differently with different controls and unique gimmicks. Weapon tutorials are very helpful on this front. Gaijinhunter and Arrekz Gaming both have extensive ones on the Monster Hunter World weapons that might be worth checking out, if you're willing. The moveset for each weapon in Rise is largely unchanged from that game.

Alternatively, you can share which ones you're interested in here. I'd love to offer pointers if they're any I'm familiar with

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Hey, anyone have any tips for how to make a monster mountable when you are using a bow other than use the silk spider? I'm trying to do the tutorial and I want to actually see how I do it with a bow but I can't seem to pull it off.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fairly unique one, whereas most action games of a similar tempo are much more generous about letting you cancel out of attacks, and don't require you to switch between sheathed and unsheathed for items/dodge/run vs attack. Have you tried just going into the tutorial mission, taking your chosen weapon up to the back of the map, finding the small monsters there, having a look at the Hunter notes for it and just doing drills on every option for 20 minutes? I'd defo recommend that if you're finding the big monsters tough to pull down without exchanging blow for blow. Same goes for settling on a routine that doesn't use your full move set at first. If you can dash in, pull off a draw attack then a combo or whatever the weapon equivalent is, then dodge/block whatever the response is, that's a good base to build up from.

Part of the reason I want to be able to get into MH is because it seems so uncompromising. But yeah, I've been looking at the combo lists, practicing on the harmless monsters and then taking it to the actual target hunt.

What's this about a draw attack? I don't think I'm doing this. I guess this means "don't draw your weapon until your next to the monster and ready to attack" whereas my approach up till now has always been charge with weapon drawn.

Picking one weapon that vibes with you the most and taking the time to learns its ins and out would definitely help you out.
Each of the weapon types play vastly differently with different controls and unique gimmicks. Weapon tutorials are very helpful on this front. Gaijinhunter and Arrekz Gaming both have extensive ones on the Monster Hunter World weapons that might be worth checking out, if you're willing. The moveset for each weapon in Rise is largely unchanged from that game.

Alternatively, you can share which ones you're interested in here. I'd love to offer pointers if they're any I'm familiar with

I'm watching Arreks video on long sword right now. Looks like I was right, the monsters don't react to hits at all. That's why it might feel so clunky to me. You jsut have the monster and the hunter's animation running side by side without interacting.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm gonna keep chipping away at it and see if I can find the right weapon. I love the atmosphere, the setting, the wirebug. I just need to get better at combat.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Mizu really hard in this? Don't remember struggling so lot against him in GU
He's tough, but I think it has less to do with him and more to do with your character probably being underpowered in the demo. By that point in the full game, you'll likely have a lot more options at your disposal, like better armor, weapons, ability to cook meals, etc. Users are also saying some monster in MH demos have more HP than normal, so that could be part of the challenge as well.

Oct 26, 2017
He's tough, but I think it has less to do with him and more to do with your character probably being underpowered in the demo. By that point in the full game, you'll likely have a lot more options at your disposal, like better armor, weapons, ability to cook meals, etc.
To me playing with preset loadouts in MH always feels like driving someone elses car. Sure you know how to operate it, but the little things, like how certain gear shifts need to be pressed down to go in reverse, while others have a switch you lift up, how some cars have more settings for the rear wipers, or in different places etc...

I really don't understand why they never release a better demo for these games. Just bundle a few beginner quests that cover the basics, and one of the first "Boss" Monsters, with a final quest with one of the intermediary Monsters.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
olGrw9P.jpg

Anyone else been looking for fun vantage points? Not sure if it's the highest point, could be. I'm loving exploration in this game.
I just made it to this peak at area 5, aww yeah. I fell off the mountain once and had to climb back up, but it was worth it 'cause I found a puppet spider on a ledge overlooking the water. I've also made it the bridge above area 13, and the peak at area 10. There's also great wirebug that flings you from area 9 to 12, a tunnel between area 8 and 3, and a few of pathways between the central mountains.

The mountains are very much part of the level, and the mountain ridges were meant to be traversed, as there's all sorts of items and shrines up there. There's mini-plateaus and even some vines to help you around, but y'all really have to learn to use the wirebug. It's so good.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me playing with preset loadouts in MH always feels like driving someone elses car. Sure you know how to operate it, but the little things, like how certain gear shifts need to be pressed down to go in reverse, while others have a switch you lift up, how some cars have more settings for the rear wipers, or in different places etc...

I really don't understand why they never release a better demo for these games. Just bundle a few beginner quests that cover the basics, and one of the first "Boss" Monsters, with a final quest with one of the intermediary Monsters.
I agree. I've had a great time with this demo, but MH demos always really, really suck, especially if one of the goals is to attract new players.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The great sword is fucking awesome???? I might switch from longsword because I don't like the change they made to helmbreaker

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
He's tough, but I think it has less to do with him and more to do with your character probably being underpowered in the demo. By that point in the full game, you'll likely have a lot more options at your disposal, like better armor, weapons, ability to cook meals, etc. Users are also saying some monster in MH demos have more HP than normal, so that could be part of the challenge as well.

For me the issue is the same issue I initially had with Glavenus in World, in that I was too used to fighting it with the toolset that Generations gives you, and so I had to completely change my playstyle and strategy to accommodate for the lack of styles lol

Didn't take long but threw me off initially. I loved Generations but as I ran Adept style, it got me into some nasty habits.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The great sword is fucking awesome???? I might switch from longsword because I don't like the change they made to helmbreaker
GS has always been awesome. Lots of people are intimidated by it though, because it's such a slow, strategic weapon. But it kicks ass in this game, as usual. The ZL+A wirebug skill that shoots you forward, automatically sheaths your weapons, and powers up your attacks for a short time, is great. It makes it much easier to escape after a few big swings. GS will probably be my main again, per usual.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it'd be limited to only out of battle like in iceborne. Is calling it pretty slow? Seems like a get of jail free card.
I don't think it is fast enough to use it to dodge attacks or get out of danger and the dog actually has to be close to you. But it is definitely going to be used as a tool for sharpening.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Might has to look at my world settings and compare. Somethings feel off, but it may just be I haven't played around with my options yet.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Setting up a lobby every time is a hassle but God damn its so damn fun with friends, the flow is so good and seeing the constant action rules.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
What's this about a draw attack? I don't think I'm doing this. I guess this means "don't draw your weapon until your next to the monster and ready to attack" whereas my approach up till now has always been charge with weapon drawn.

I think Draw attack here is just referring to any attack you can do while your weapon is still sheathed.
So in Longsword's case, either the overhead slash you get from hitting X or the first hit of the Spirit Combo with ZR.

For the most part, you run faster while your weapon is sheathed, so it's a fairly common affair to sheathe and resheathe your weapon often to get the right positioning. (Although I guess the playstyle for longsword now is more on the preemptive/counter heavy side as opposed to older games)

I'm watching Arreks video on long sword right now. Looks like I was right, the monsters don't react to hits at all. That's why it might feel so clunky to me. You jsut have the monster and the hunter's animation running side by side without interacting.

Yeah, monsters only stagger if you do enough damage to their weak points. Which is also why there's no traditional lock-on for the game.
If you get good enough with your weapon, aiming for specific parts actually helps out quite a bit for dealing more damage and getting more staggers/downs