• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Khezu had no fight music because he never sees you (and you never get the fright freeze from being seen). Also you couldn't stealth by crouching in a smokebomb like all the other monsters since he detects you by smell.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's a super ancient fight that has not really changed much at all and is kind of boring to fight nowadays.
It's ugly as shit and screeches like a banshee as it paralyzes you and wrestling ring flops onto ya. It's a gross ass stretchy neck FREAK!!
He's kind of a punching bag that had a pretty cool gimmick before 4U kinda ruined him (he has no eyes, so that means he had no monster sight, so you were stuck with rolling rather than Superman diving out of attacks), but he doesn't really have much interesting going fight-wise. Gigginox was effectively a replacement and being based on the pseudowyvern skeleton did wonders for making it a better way to fight a monster with a similar aesthetic.

I guess I'll find out if I play for myself. "Boring" might be interesting for a newcomer like myself (at least initially).

Also, really enjoying how active this thread / community is. I hope I enjoy the franchise half as much as some of you folks in here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Khezu is pretty much the only monster I actively dislike. Well, it and Diablos, but I actually don't mind the latter too much in GU and Iceborne.

I'm just crossing my fingers for Nargacuga. I'm sure it has a pretty high chance of getting in, though. I wonder if returning flagships that happened to be in World/Iceborne are going to have the newest versions of their themes in.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Khezu is pretty much the only monster I actively dislike. Well, it and Diablos, but I actually don't mind the latter too much in GU and Iceborne.

I'm just crossing my fingers for Nargacuga. I'm sure it has a pretty high chance of getting in, though. I wonder if returning flagships that happened to be in World/Iceborne are going to have the newest versions of their themes in.
Looking at how they ruined Zinogre's theme in Iceborne, I hope not.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

I sincerely hope that him returning back "Home" to his rightful owners at the Portable squad means they'll treat him far better in this area than the World/Iceborne team(s) did.

How you gonna take away the big wuff's GUITARS (unless you've mounted him)?!

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
That's kind of where I'm at with Glavenus' Iceborne theme. (Zinogre's mount theme is pretty great, but still)

Narga's theme is such a vast improvement over its original theme (which was already pretty fantastic), so that's kind of why I'm hoping it'll be back.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of the themes redone in World lack the weight and "oomph" the olders one do.

Orchestral isn't always better, I think they showed. It can take a great song and make it sound oddly softer sometimes.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yeah, a lot of the themes redone in World lack the weight and "oomph" the older ones do.

Orchestral isn't always better, I think they showed. It can take a great song and make it sound oddly softer sometimes.

All the more reason I'm hoping at least a good portion Gaijinhunter's "bingo card" keeps getting filled out.

I'm encouraged when I found out that Reo Uratani (credited on Tri, Portable 3rd and Generation's OSTs, among others) retweeted the initial MHRise announcement tweets from Nintendo Japan's and the official MH Rise JP Twitter accounts from a few days ago.

Hopefully, that's a good hint that he's involved with this game, 'cuz it's been a while since last heard anything from him!

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
As far as returning themes go:

I actually really like Kushala's World theme
Jho's isn't as good as it was before
Teostra's is about the same quality wise
Glavenus' new arrangement sucks
Narga probably has the best of this entire bunch
Zinogre's I don't hate but the original is way better
Brachy's is pretty good
Tigrex's took some time to grow on me but I quite like it
Rajang's is actually really good

Haven't fought Alatreon in any game yet so I don't even know what its theme sounds like

Oct 25, 2017
I'm encouraged when I found out that Reo Uratani (credited on Tri, Portable 3rd and Generation's OSTs, among others) retweeted the initial MHRise announcement tweets from Nintendo Japan's and the official MH Rise JP Twitter accounts from a few days ago.

Hopefully, that's a good hint that he's involved with this game, 'cuz it's been a while since last heard anything from him!
oh god please

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Brachy's theme problem is that is too quiet
brachydios theme in the 3ds games never failed to get me pumped, meanwhile the iceborne is just there

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Now he appears in every fight and immediately charges into you
He will be able to detect when you're about to do your strongest charged attack, or when you're all setting up for wake up attacks, or when a monster is trapped/paralysed, then he will teleport into your area and charge at you.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
He will be able to detect when you're about to do your strongest charged attack, or when you're all setting up for wake up attacks, or when a monster is trapped/paralysed, then he will teleport into your area and charge at you.
But he already does this.

Oh wait, you left out that he'll wait until you're at 20% health, in a safe spot away from the monster you're fighting so you can drink a pot and then...

Well you know.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
There are many old monsters we all hope to see again in Rise, but above all else what are the chances we'll see most or all of the flagships that weren't added to Iceborne in Rise?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just thought of something, a monster with bulldrome skeleton but is actually endgame

It could give kirin a run for his money for being one the most annoying monsters to hunt in the history of MH

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
A Tetranodon?
*puts on fedora*
gasp
Terry the Tetranodon?!?!?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they keep Khezu on the shelf. Pretty sick of that thing so I was relieved it was gone in World.

Its a stupid/gross looking design, terrible non existent theme and just a miserable uninteresting fight all around.
I think Khezu is a great design visually. It emphasizes the idea of monsters as natural animals rather than mythological creatures when a cave-dwelling monster features many of the same adaptations as real world troglodytes: Pale skin, loss of eyes, etc.

The fight really sucks, but after Yian-Garuga in Iceborne I feel like that's something the devs could fix with some love.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the classic "Drome bros" have effectively been retired in all the ways that matter. World introduced new fodder, and Rise is looking to do the same. And unlike other classic large monsters, what work that could go into making their fights actually a bit more interesting would be much better spent on just realizing brand new monsters like Great Mizuchi, instead.
You say this like Generations didn't bring back the Dromes despite adding Great Maccau.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think Khezu is a great design visually. It emphasizes the idea of monsters as natural animals rather than mythological creatures when a cave-dwelling monster features many of the same adaptations as real world troglodytes: Pale skin, loss of eyes, etc.

The fight really sucks, but after Yian-Garuga in Iceborne I feel like that's something the devs could fix with some love.
I thought Gigginox took everything cool about Khezu and upgraded it really well, adding some horror aspects. I'm surprised they haven't brought it back.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a monster with multiple heads to chop off?

Kind of want that now.
I've wanted a proper Hydra monster for a while, my fingers are crossed
Nakarkos.

If you mean a monster that actually has multiple heads instead of the appearance of multiple heads, that goes against the entire aesthetic identity of the series. Same reason you won't see a cyborg monster or an undead monster.

Oct 25, 2017
Nakarkos.

If you mean a monster that actually has multiple heads instead of the appearance of multiple heads, that goes against the entire aesthetic identity of the series. Same reason you won't see a cyborg monster or an undead monster.
You say that but two headed animals are a thing IRL. MonHun aesthetics can conform a two headed snake, bird, turtle or goat.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Nakarkos.

Well we got a Jet engine monster from space, so I wouldn't count out anything.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized, what I want most of all is the old item description. Reading lore through the items, especially for end game monsters, was always a treat.

Bobdapeach

Jun 15, 2019
Nakarkos.

Nakarkos is more of a Kraken than Hydra but i'll take it. I actually really love the fight, which is why i'd kill for something more Hyrda-esque.

I'm also hoping we get some hella hype trailers. I remember watching the MH4 Japanese trailers and loving those little teasers at the end. Dalamadur was still a great "wtf is this" moment, and I still remember how hyped I was at the Kushala tease... and that one for 4G that had Seregios looking back at the player damn. I also vaguely remember one with Chameleos that got me excited, don't remember if that was an end of trailer tease.

I know World had Nargacuga teased at the end of the initial Iceborne trailer, so I'm really hoping they continue that trend. Always loooked forward to seeing what monster would be hidden away.

edit: i just went back and looked at them, i forgot chamelos was teased at the end with this amazing jump scare
maxresdefault.jpg

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks to the prior excitement and the actual reveal, I finally managed to beat Shagaru Magala and reach the Village HR in MHGU, and I've gotta say, Aerial Insect Glaive was a revelation: it's so stupidly mobile and reckless, I love it. It's almost TOO good, so I think I'll try getting better at another weapon.

Anyway, I guess the silver lining is that it was the increased mobility that finally made me click with MH(4U), so I'm happy they're exploring new possibilities with Rise and the Wire Bug.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You say that but two headed animals are a thing IRL. MonHun aesthetics can conform a two headed snake, bird, turtle or goat.
Two-headed animals are a thing as bizarre mutations. Not as actual species. I wouldn't have a problem with a two-headed variant of another monster in the vein of Chaotic Gore Magala.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know yet if the open-world-ness of this game is open like MHW, or open like BotW? I'm assuming the former, but have heard some conflicting things online.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Gigginox took everything cool about Khezu and upgraded it really well, adding some horror aspects. I'm surprised they haven't brought it back.
Indeed. Khezu is a piece of shit next to its third-gen counterpart, just like pretty much all the old monsters are worse than their gen 3 equivalents.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know yet if the open-world-ness of this game is open like MHW, or open like BotW? I'm assuming the former, but have heard some conflicting things online.
Open like MHW if you're talking about the basic structure of the game. You have maps that are seamless but the maps are separated from each other.

No idea on how the individual map layout will be.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really hope new Switch comes out before this cause I would reeeeeeaaally like to play this @ 60 FPS.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i've been watching so many videos about rise on youtube, lol
i probably should stop and forget it exists until it comes out. a lot of times when i get obsessed with a game prior to launch it ends up disappointing me :/

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon Germany or Media Markt still don't list Rise at all, neither the physical CE ... i see this will be a daily ordeal to check the stores for a looong time.

All the more reason I'm hoping at least a good portion Gaijinhunter's "bingo card" keeps getting filled out.

I think the "Goofy Humor" tile can get checked to. At least the voice acting in the trailer feels very goofy humor. "I just ... *dramatic pause* ... got ... an imporant *dramatic pause* letter". ^^

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Khezu is gonna be re-done and be the sleeper best fight in the game.

Just you wait.

They already did that in MHTri. It's called Gigginox. I don't care about Khezu, but they should bring Gigginox back, it could become an even more amazing fight with the increased verticality. Imagine him crawling up and down a huge cavern.

No. Kut-ku is trash along with Yian Garuga. Both should be extinct.

Seriously, I especially hate Yian Garuga.

They are fine. But again, Qurupeco improved the Kut Ku formula so much.

Yian Garuga was awesome in Iceborne, though.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I'm just realising how good and detailed the models and monsters are. I think they are the most detailed models on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.