• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Rath armor looks amazing and is pretty great, but the thing is kinda boring to fight compared to Pink Rath.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadqueen's new "fatal poison" acts so quickly that it will delete much of a health bar before a hunter even has a chance to use an Antidote, and no amount of poison resistance can actually provide immunity.
This is your friendly doot doot crew reminding you that the Negate Status Ailments song works even against Dreadqueen poison. lol

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally planning on mentioning the Dragalia Lost collab... But I really am not the right person to talk about it. I know nothing about Dragalia Lost and the second-hand knowledge I had on the collab just confused me. Any description of the crossover by me would just sound like the wikipedia entry. I'm happy you brought the crossover up since you actually could describe it much better.

It's cool. Gaijin Hunter has a pretty neat video that sums up the finer points of the Collab (it's just missing the 2nd part, but that just added more story, Dreadking, and another MH unit to roll for).

I actually started playing DL from that Event, so I remember it pretty well.
Some of the MH units you could get acted pretty similarly to how they would in the games (mostly Generations though).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the Deviants are really enjoyable to fight even if the gear grind sucks. Just forget about the gear and think of them as a fun extra personal challenge. I joked about Dreadking Ex being complete bullshit, but I grinded up Dreadking to Ex because I wanted to face the bullshit.
I maxed out Dreadking Ex too, and it was tough, especially in multiplayer when it's really easy for hunters to get taken apart in seconds if they aren't prepared. I used to go in with so much of n the way of healing horns/life powder and the kit to make more as someone was one hit away from death, constantly, in a half-hour brawl. I cheered when we finally cleared it though- I had eventually teamed up with a group where we were all determined to get each other through it, ands that the kind of ad-hoc teamups I love in MonHun.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite Rathalos moments in the series was going through Freedom Unite and learning the exact timing of its slow descent after its world tour attack. This combined with stagger damage meant I consistently knocked them out of the sky with level 3 GS charged slash every time its does its annoying time wasting move. This worked even in its Azure and Silver variants. Made getting their awesome gear a cakewalk in that game.

I also love fighting both Raths together. One always flies in helping their SO no matter how much their shit is currently getting slapped by Hunters. Dumb bombs are the most least effective in these double hunts.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Came across this thread just now; it's funny how it seems to have become a secondary MH OT, hahah.

The video is neat, especially the music, but it doesn't do a very good job of conveying scale. Worst of all though... 480p? Really, Capcom? :/

Also speaking of collabs... Genshin Impact x Monster Hunter collab, please. It would fit the gameplay of the game perfectly.

Last edited:

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I always forget that part of Rathalos design are those weird things behind his ears. I think it would look better without them.

My first encounter with Rathalos was in MH tri and I remember that my brother warned me that he flies a lot and even with that warning in my head I was still surprised with how much time he spent in the air. I didn't know about the flash bomb strategy so I had to wait for him land in order to hit it.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi y'all, apologies about Gravios being late. I'll be posting it later today. Thanks for all the kind feedback!

I also love fighting both Raths together. One always flies in helping their SO no matter how much their shit is currently getting slapped by Hunters. Dumb bombs are the most least effective in these double hunts.
One neat thing I forgot to mention: The Raths have a unique call in World/Iceborne that they use to summon the other Rath.

Gravios
OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gravios
2kPipes.png

Premiered in: Monster Hunter (PS2, 2004)

Last major appearance: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (3DS/Switch, 2017)

Classification: Flying wyvern

Habitat: Swamps, Volcanoes

Remember good ol' Basarios? Here's that little fella all grown up! Just like how Rathian and Rathalos were two different forms of the same species, so are Basarios and Gravios, just separated by age rather than sex. It might seem odd to give the juvenile and adult different names, but we do the same thing all the time with animals: Caterpillars and butterflies, tadpoles and frogs, puppies and dogs, etc. The name "Gravios" is a straightforward romanization of the Japanese name グラビモス ("Gurabiosu"). The name likely comes from either from the word "gravity", emphasizing the monster's size, or "grave", as the adult keeps the skeletal theme of Basarios.

Gravios is big. Really big. Gravios was the largest non-Elder Dragon monster in the first PS2 game and still dwarfs most creatures in the series today. This guy is so big, its body can be carved 4 times instead of the standard 3. Even the severed tail provides 2 carves instead of the standard 1. Gravios understandably no longer relies on camouflage, being both too big to hide and too big to care about hiding. Where Basarios represented a volcano's long periods of peaceful slumber, Gravios embodies the full visible fury and might of an eruption.

Once you get past the massive increase in size, Gravios still looks very similar to Basarios. The body is the same boring bulky gray rock, but the legs, wings, and tail are all longer. Where Basarios was basically a walking potato, Gravios has passed that awkward adolescent stage. My favorite design element is how the tubes from the juvenile's legs cover most of the adult's back and tail, and the tips are blackened by heat or ash like smokestacks. Presumably the extra apertures are necessary to vent all the heat generated within Gravios massive body. I love how organic the tubes look, like scutes on a crocodile or ankylosaur. Unfortunately, most of the detail is lost on the in-game model, so the tubes look more like boring spikes. Color-wise, Gravios isn't very exciting, just grey on gray. It doesn't even get the green mossy covering Basarios has post-Monster Hunter 4. I would have appreciated some extra color, but I understand plant growth doesn't make sense on a monster that frequently bathes in lava. Yes, Gravios is so resistant to heat it can and will happily submerge itself in molten rock.

giphy.gif

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

The adult's face still has a skeletal design, with sunken eyes, exposed teeth, and a prominent chin. Gravios replaces the crossbones-shaped crests of Basarios crest with a simple single horn. The evolution works thematically; while Basarios wielded typical video game toxins, Gravios instead releases clouds of sleep-inducing blue glass. I have to wonder why the designers felt sleep was an upgrade over poison. On one hand, sleep feels less traditionally dangerous than poison, since it does no damage on its own. On the other, there's something sinister about being put to peaceful sleep and left vulnerable to the monster's attacks. It's especially creepy with the G-Rank name for Gravios's sleep-producing organ: The Coma Sac. In Monster Hunter Freedom Unite's "Armored Supremacy" quest, Gravios releases poison gas rather than the usual sleep. Likely a bug, but it is neat to imagine different Gravios can create different chemicals depending on the minerals in their bodies.

Gravios is a divisive fight among the fanbase. Just like Basarios, Gravios is very slow and defensive. The titan's carapace is obscenely tough. Weapons with insufficient sharpness bounce harmlessly off the toughest parts, so hunters need to approach this titan with precision. Just like Basarios, Gravios's belly is the weakest spot, especially after it is broken. Unfortunately, the wyvern is so tall melee weapons can barely reach anything besides the well-armored legs. Like many of the "annoying" first generation monsters we've covered, ranged weapons will find Gravios easier to overcome overcome. They don't have to deal with a sharpness system or bouncing.

Don't just assume Gravios will sit there and take it like Basarios though. Basarios was mostly a punching bag, but Gravios can get nasty.

The first problem is size. Gravios might be comically slow, but when the monster decides to move, it's damn hard to get out of the way. The typical gen 1 wyvern tail whips, hip checks, and charges all cover massive parts of the screen. Gravios is also another monster with especially nasty hitboxes. The worst for me is the charge attack. Charge attacks in Monster Hunter often just turn the entire monster model into a hitbox. With Gravios, it's common to be behind the monster's foot and still be hit by the charge, simply because the back of the ankle is just as much of a hitbox as the front of the foot. Beyond the stock attacks, Gravios has a few other interesting moves. The first is a body slam where the titanic wyvern flies up and then falls back, reminding players just how ridiculous it is that something this enormous and heavy can somehow fly. For the other, Gravios just rolls over and squishes anything in its path flatter than a pancake.

The second problem is the lasers.

CluelessPlayfulGrub-size_restricted.gif

Lots and lots and lots of lasers.

Gravios's heat beam is one of the most impressive attacks in the series. A direct hit can bring all but the most flame-retardant hunters to the brink of death. Gravios can also fire the beam in a horizontal or vertical sweeping pattern to better target victims. Luckily, the laser has very long start-up and ending lag. Even the sweeping beam can be easily avoided and exploited to get free hits on the monster.

…If you don't mind getting roasted by hot gas. Remember how Basarios ignited the poison gas when enraged? Gravios does the same thing with its sleep gas. The fire gas luckily has a long start-up as well, but getting greedy up close to Gravios will get hunters punished. In later games, Gravios gained the ability to chain a laser into the fire gas, and this simple change made the laser far less of a free damage opportunity. Part of what makes Gravios so frustrating for many players is that the monster is designed to punish impatience and force hunters to wait. Yet the gargantuan health and defenses mean that a patient approach can still take forever. Even the monster's roar is absurdly long and will immobilize most hunters for its entire 6 second duration.

In the fourth generation, Gravios had some significant changes. The monster's back, head, legs, and wings can all now be broken, and each break provides benefits to speed up the fight. The broken legs are less-well armored, so melee weapons can attack them more easily. A broken wing interferes with flying and makes Gravios trip after a ground pound, giving extra opportunities to attack the belly. When Gravios's back is broken, the cracks leak out gas. As a result, the fire cloud attacks become much smaller, allowing melee hunters to stay closer to the monster. The broken back also reveals a new mounting position on the belly, just like Basarios, so breaking the back also makes it easier to break the monster's belly and expose the soft flesh underneath. The only new break that doesn't add much to Gravios is the head, since the broken face is still obscenely touch. Overall, fourth generation Gravios is designed to be less of a fast-pitched battle and more of a patient siege. Hunters have a variety of approaches to chip away at the walking fortress, precisely targeting different body parts to expose the vulnerable belly.

Gravios also got a new move in G-Rank and it's a doozy. The monster walks forward while firing small lasers. The projectiles have frightening accuracy. Just running away in a straight line will get a hunter blasted, so it's usually better to strafe and get underneath or behind the monster. The move has not-so-affectionately been called the AT-AT walk for its resemblance to certain scenes from Star Wars.

AgedTimelyAustrianpinscher-size_restricted.gif

That noob is lucky the superman dive works against Imperial Walkers. Gravios is not so merciful.

MH4U also gave Gravios another nasty new trick in G-Rank: A series of fire clouds while walking forward. This attack forces close-range weapons to wait from afar for the monster to finish, and in some of the more narrow rooms it's easy to get cornered. Again, an attack that wastes time and can be frustratingly lethal in the wrong circumstances.

If you can't tell by now, I'm not a Gravios fan. I respect the monster for being different (At least in the fourth generation), but it's so slow and annoying and boring that I just can't have fun fighting it. Beyond game mechanics, the design is mostly just a bigger Basarios and the lasers and size just aren't enough to get me excited. About the only solace I can take is that I have absurdly good luck with Gravios drops. In MH4U, I got a Gravios Pallium after my first G-Rank hunt, and a Black Gravios Pallium after my first hunt of the subspecies. So I have been able to thankfully keep my Gravios hunts to a minimum.

A new gameplay video for Monster Hunter Rise revealed Basarios equipment was in the game. This doesn't necessarily confirm Basarios as a monster made the jump to Rise, but if it did, we can definitely expect Gravios. I can only hope director Ichinose and his team can make the fight less frustrating.

t1d8NvW.gif

I think this gif sums up the Gravios experience better than any words I can muster.

Subspecies: Black Gravios
VdVMQ6p.png

Premiered in: Monster Hunter G (PS2, 2005)

Last major appearance: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS, 2014)

Habitat: Same as Gravios

Black Gravios is the result of a Basarios exposed to a hotter environment than usual. As the monster grows up, the extra heat blackens the carapace to a charcoal color and significantly raises the body's internal temperature. I appreciate the worldbuilding, but I do have to wonder how a creature can get hotter when it already swims in lava. Regardless, the subspecies is a visual step over the original for me. Black with orange accents is much more exciting than light gray with dark gray accents, and I love how the orange on the tubes them look like little volcanoes. Also call me edgy, but I love black recolors. Shiny Charizard and Rayquaza in Pokemon, Nemesis Prime in Transformers, even Shadow the Hedgehog, I can't get enough of the Hot Topic look. Overall, Black Gravios is one of the more intimidating subspecies... And not just aesthetically.

For the first and second generations, Black Gravios was mainly distinguished from Gravios by shooting more lasers and farting out more fire clouds. The laser into fire cloud combo I described before even used to be a Black Gravios exclusive. In Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, G-Rank Black Gravios became a colossal pain. Remember how Gravios can chain a laser into a fiery fart cloud? Remember the AT-AT walk? Black Gravios combines the two annoying moves into an unholy abomination. Run away from Black Gravios, get sniped by the lasers. Run towards Black Gravios, get burned by the gas. The only option for those using melee weapons is to strafe around the monster and keep their distance while waiting for the attack to end. It's absolutely brutal, especially when fighting Black Gravios in some of the more narrow map areas where there isn't room to maneuver.

I like how Black Gravios looks, but fuck actually fighting this thing.

Other Games and media

In Monster Hunter Stories, Gravios and Black Gravios are both ridable monsties. My favorite part about riding these creatures is their utility outside battle: True to its ecology, Gravios is able to walk through lava completely unharmed and swim across normally untraversable rivers of the hot stuff. It's one of the neater unique abilities available to monsties. Gravios also has quite a cool kinship attack. Yes the rider should immediately burst into flames, but real world physics already go out the window whenever Gravios is involved.

Stories Gravios also provides one of the most ridiculous breaks with established lore. Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Gravios, and Black Gravios can all be hatched from eggs... Despite Gravios being the adult form of Basarios. There is no attempt at a justification. I don't understand why a game focusing on story just throws away a huge element of the monster biology and design for gameplay purposes. There were other clear ways to provide both Basarios and Gravios from eggs, like allowing players to induce the metamorphosis from Basarios to Gravios. Hopefully Stories 2 fixes this problem.

axwW1Ov.jpg

An adorable yet frustrating walking contradiction.

グレアドモス ("Gureadomosu")
JUnaKSw.png

Monster Hunter Frontier added a new type of monster reskin, the Origin Species. Origin species closely resemble the ancestor of another monster. For example, Gureadomosu suggests Gravios evolved from an aquatic creature. It's a weird idea, but I do appreciate the deeper look into familiar monsters' evolutionary history. The tubes that covered Gravios are far more developed on Gureadomosu and covered with green algae. The tubes shoot out high-powered jets of water rather than heat or gas, so the visual changes are appropriate. By firing water, the origin species can propel itself around at far higher speed than its bulk would suggest. I love how creative and weird the concept is. Unfortunately, Gureadomosu's design just doesn't work for me. The big green tubes are great, but the added spikes and blades feel unnecessary and unrelated to the concept.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I love the look and idea of Gravios but hate fighting it. Generally once the heavier weapons have smashed up the belly I sit there with my Lance and rack up damage while tanking as much as I can

Hopefully, the nearly guaranteed fifth gen makeover that we're likely to see will patch up the more irritating elements of Gravios and Basarios, since they are very strong designs that deserve something better than sloggish fights. The additional part breaks in fourth gen moved things in the right direction, but more can be done.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Hate hate haaaate Gravios.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but as a Lance user, it felt that there was nothing I could do about the farting.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gravios beam spam was so annoying in 4U that I'd either equip the rarely-used HBG shield to tank them, or switch over to LBG and stay behind him. Fortunately, Generations and GU offered Adept style, Valor style and other dodging arts to make avoiding those beams a lot more manageable.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, here it is, the Gen 1 monster I was waiting to dunk on.
Gravios suuuucks, tediously long encounter with its durable shell making melee attacks a pain in the backside, while having a moveset that feels like variations on four obvious moves but with the caveat that the laser can go absolutely haywire (get your super dives ready) and its sheer size makes even the obvious dashes and tail whips a hassle to get out of the way of.
Even going gunner doesn't stop things from being boring though the right kit might speed things up, sure you can pierce through its entire massive body, crag its durable shell or soak it down from range but it's still a flavourless fight.

And then there's how its size limits the monster's fighting area, so in MH4 you've got the volcanic hollow which I already find one of the weakest modern maps in the series, Gravios makes his home down in the bottom two rooms because he can't actually fit anywhere else.
Other maps will have him bound back and forth between two areas of the swamp , the classic volcano gives him more space to work with, but that's also because that map is like just slabs of vast flat ground with lava pools. So basically Gravios makes me not only think of a boring fight, but boring environments to fight them in, a true combo of lame.

It's a shame because conceptually, like Basarios, I dig the stone wyvern idea, but it just ain't the one, I'll just take Basarios and pretend they went no further. Perhaps I'm so ant-gravios now because in the gap between me playing Freedom Unite and 4, I allowed myself to get excited by the return of the stone wyvern only to be rudely awakened.
His Gen 3 successor is so far ahead it's almost embarrassing for Gravios.

To follow up on my earlier Plessy armour story of freedom unite, you better believe Gravios was the next in line that my friend had decided we'd grind for my next armour set, truly the least engaging combo of monsters possible, no wonder it wasn't until Tri that the series truly clicked with me.
Still, at least Grav ain't Cephadrome I guess.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And then there's how its size limits the monster's fighting area, so in MH4 you've got the volcanic hollow which I already find one of the weakest modern maps in the series, Gravios makes his home down in the bottom two rooms because he can't actually fit anywhere else.
Other maps will have him bound back and forth between two areas of the swamp , the classic volcano gives him more space to work with, but that's also because that map is like just slabs of vast flat ground with lava pools. So basically Gravios makes me not only think of a boring fight, but boring environments to fight them in, a true combo of lame.
Oh God the Volcanic Hollow is the worst. Easily one of my least favorite maps in the series. It's an ugly brown and orange reskin of another map, the music sucks, the areas are tiny or have awkward slopes and ledges, it's like a laundry list of everything wrong in a Monster Hunter map.

And that would all be tolerable if I could visit the Volcanic Hollow only a few times, but no, it's home to so many late-game monsters and the best place to mine for charms, so I'm always there.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Just a friendly reminder that the occurrence of Gravios in Rise makes LBG mandatory to play. I hated the monster until I stared gunning back in Freedom Unite. Now I actually like the monster.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I hate Volcanic Hollow too, so many annoying quests there. There was a late game Seregios one that was a pain too, and Teo. I don't even like navigating the map, with all the climbing required.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'll say about Gravios is that there's actually an audio difference between a regular beam attack and a beam attack that is followed up with the fire gas.I notice most players seem to not notice this. back in first gen this was the only way to differentiate between the beams as the visual cue didn't exist. The audio cue is still the best way to identify the attack as it comes much sooner than the smoke that signals the gas, allowing melee hunters to get in more damage as they don't need to hang back as long.

I actually don't find the fight difficult as melee, but it's still pretty dull. I can't say I'm happy to see it return in Rise.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The name "Gravios" is a straightforward romanization of the Japanese name グラビモス ("Gurabiosu"). The name likely comes from either from the word "gravity", emphasizing the monster's size, or "grave", as the adult keeps the skeletal theme of Basarios.
Nitpick: Gravios's Japanese name is "Gurabimosu". The "m" was removed in localisation, presumably because Gravimos is a bit less threatening than Gravios.

(Similarly, Basarios is バサルモス, or Basarumos.)

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I'm actually ok with Gravios (and Basarios), though I usually use the bow against those. My other weapon of choice, GS, was annoying as hell against those, so yeah, I feel the pain of more dedicated melee hunters. Do blunt weapons fare better? Been thinking of trying out the Hunting Horn properly in Rise.

I really liked the ways they could be o mounted in the 4th gen, though. Was always fun to grab on to dear life on top of an upside down Gravios to break that sweet, sweet belly.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I remember mainly attacking the feet of Gravios and Basarios, tail only after mounting.
Oh God the Volcanic Hollow is the worst. Easily one of my least favorite maps in the series. It's an ugly brown and orange reskin of another map, the music sucks, the areas are tiny or have awkward slopes and ledges, it's like a laundry list of everything wrong in a Monster Hunter map.

And that would all be tolerable if I could visit the Volcanic Hollow only a few times, but no, it's home to so many late-game monsters and the best place to mine for charms, so I'm always there.

I hate the "desert" map on GU even more, although it must be from another MH. Just a dull, big, empty map where you have to use both drinks.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

The way monsters dig/jump from the big open room at the bottom all the way up to the top of the cliff, but the player has to take a roundabout detour and a climb to get up there and continue the fight, AHHHH!

I remember mainly attacking the feet of Gravios and Basarios, tail only after mounting.

I hate the "desert" map on GU even more, although it must be from another MH. Just a dull, big, empty map where you have to use both drinks.
Oh yeah, that's a rough one, I sometimes get it muddled with Dunes which is better but they both suffer for a similar reason, and that's how long it takes to move to other zones when you have to cross a segment of desert to do so, plus Desert also has cold caves as well as hot deserts so get chugging those drinks!

Not to once again worship at the altar of third gen, but you can see how its desert area figured the best plan for the sandy expanse areas was to put them on the edge of the map and not requite you to venture into the open sands outside of combat.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised to see more negativity for Gravios than Plesioth... But not that surprised.

Really looking forward to Diablos.

Nitpick: Gravios's Japanese name is "Gurabimosu". The "m" was removed in localisation, presumably because Gravimos is a bit less threatening than Gravios.

(Similarly, Basarios is バサルモス, or Basarumos.)
Thanks for pointing this out! I can see the logic in the change, but feel like we would have gotten used to "Gravimos" and "Basarimos".

Definitely need to proofread the old write-ups at some point.

One thing I'll say about Gravios is that there's actually an audio difference between a regular beam attack and a beam attack that is followed up with the fire gas.I notice most players seem to not notice this. back in first gen this was the only way to differentiate between the beams as the visual cue didn't exist. The audio cue is still the best way to identify the attack as it comes much sooner than the smoke that signals the gas, allowing melee hunters to get in more damage as they don't need to hang back as long.

I actually don't find the fight difficult as melee, but it's still pretty dull. I can't say I'm happy to see it return in Rise.
Damn, this is useful information. I never noticed it.

Also you inadvertently pointed out another mistake; I forgot regular Gravios can use the fire after the laser in FU and thought it was a Black Gravios exclusive move. I'm not sure why I made that mistake.

Since Diablos is up next, are you focusing entirely on Diablos, or is Monoblos going to sneak his way into there as well? Unlike a lot of matched pairs you've covered, the differences between Diablos and Monoblos are very slight even in MH4U, so I'm not sure that Monoblos really has that much clout, despite being an excellent monster design.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I just love how early gravios is just super big. He got smaller for the better of the fight but his immenseness in the Swamp was always fun to see

Oct 27, 2017
Since Diablos is up next, are you focusing entirely on Diablos, or is Monoblos going to sneak his way into there as well? Unlike a lot of matched pairs you've covered, the differences between Diablos and Monoblos are very slight even in MH4U, so I'm not sure that Monoblos really has that much clout, despite being an excellent monster design.
In the second post i beleive he said he's covering it seperately

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Focusing on exclusively Diablos next and then Monoblos after that. Main three reasons are:
  • Diablos has so much to talk about already
  • I liked having a short easy write-up between Diablos and the Elder Dragons
  • The two monsters have very different personal significance for me despite their mechanical similarities
Feel free to talk about either monster at any time though!

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gravios is certainly a pain due to its immense size, hitboxes, and LASERS.

I remember taking down a handful of these things in Dos and I was plinking away at it with the S&S. Not the most fun time.
(Bless Black Gravios being pretty weak to Poison)

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Yes, likewise expressing my pleasure at reading this topic - don't push yourself to be 'on time' or burn out, it's hard to write stuff and it do be quality stuff! <3

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Dude Toxi! Amazing topic

You have providede some very exceptional comfort reading tonight!

Lovely tribute to the series that long time fans like me appreciate. Super fun and entertaining write ups!

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I would have assumed Gravios' name is a play on gravel, seeing as gravel is formed from rock such as basalt eroding over time, and Gravios is an older Basarios.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that Azure Rathalos is one of my favorite designs in the franchise, and so is Rathalos Soul/Rathalos Soul Z.

That's all, I've already said enough about the Raths and Gravios this year since I started messing around with XX and went back to check some of their past iterations lol

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Fuck Gravios.

Looking forward the the Diablos writeup. I'm expecting some gushing over Bloodbath Diablos, lol.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
You just described 95% of the monster roster exclusive to Frontier.

Yeah. Like I said previously, the Frontier designs go against the design philosophy of the original games. The designs in the original games seek to make biological sense. Like, look at Zinogre. It doesn't generate electricity. Rather, it harnesses the electricity of bugs on it's back.
It's one of the things I like the most in MH (and the same that drew me toward Pokémon oh so many years ago): the creatures themselves are well thought out.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Even people who have never played a Monster Hunter recognize the fire wyvern's face from other games like Smash Bros.
I decided to put this to the test. I turned to my SO, who has never played MH and has no interest in the franchise (his exposure to MH is pretty much solely through casually glancing at the TV while I'm playing it, haha), and asked him: "Can you name a single monster from Monster Hunter, by name?"

He paused for a moment, then answered: "Rathalos...?"

So, good job! You were right. xD Well, sort of. He couldn't recognize it by looks, so technically that's not quite true, but close enough IMO.

Hot take: I actually never liked fighting Rathalos and I'm kind of sick of him. I understand that he'll never go away, but I wouldn't be mad if he did. Same with Rathian, even if she's more fun to hunt than Rathalos, I just hunted her kind too many times and I'm burnt out. lol