• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's a shame, he did some good stuff.
Hope he'll have a good job wherever he goes next (Cygames like everyone?).
Based on a hunch and Capcom being fucking useless on Switch.
Lol
Why would it be cancelled? Developers leave companies mid-way through development all the time. Relax.
While it's true, there's not much teased since the NeXt tease. I'll be worried if nothing happens by the end of MH Festa in January.
The reasons for thinking MH Switch exists are the following:
1. King Zell teased it.
2. The NEXT tease from the anniversary event.

The reasons to think it doesn't exist are the following:
- Nothing has been announced.
- Capcom support is incredibly poor for Switch.

No one should expect it with a high likelihood whatsoever, plans change all the time, but there is more than just a wish to support the notion. This news doesn't mean it has been cancelled, if it exists.
You can add two other +/-:
+ : Capcom was happy with MHGU results
- : Capcom is all in on MHW

But yeah, it's just a big "ask again later" thing at this point, 50/50.
If nothing is out on Switch, maybe Capcom will do something on the next platform though, not the first time they change their minds when a platform is announced. Still shitty Switch support from them.

edit:
Unrelated, but wouldn't the "NEXT" tease mean "next gen"? Just asking, not trying to be smart ass, but at this point with capcpom and switch, an game early in PS5 life with a small install base seems sadly more likely than a switch tailored game...
It could, but the thing is that it's been teased by the Portable/Generations director, handheld focused series, while the mainline series director already implied to work on a next gen one (the Iceborne director isn't the 4/World one). You can also do a parallel with NX, but that was announced way after the codename was replaced.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated, but wouldn't the "NEXT" tease mean "next gen"? Just asking, not trying to be smart ass, but at this point with capcpom and switch, an game early in PS5 life with a small install base seems sadly more likely than a switch tailored game...
iirc the director put emphasis on N and X, and switch's codename was NX.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, but I feel like PS5 MH would be done by the World team. Ichinose and the people that worked on Generations have to be doing something though.

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
Previously Bayonetta 3 producer and now MHG producer, I'm really concerned about these departures.

Maybe the producers were against putting their games exclusively on one platform, especially after seeing how successful similar games are on other platforms.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
As someone who plays GU and World on a regular basis i am really interested how Capcom handless the franchise going into next gen. Personally i don't need a World 2 and continuing World as a cross gen service game could really work well. A downgraded Switch port of World with crossplay / save would be nice to have.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, nothing pointing to Ichinose's tease being specifically for Switch.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why be worried about a game that hasn't even been officially announced yet? lol They'll announce when they're ready.
Because Capcom usually does a short teaser-to-reveal timeframe. Like they could have perfectly shown just a logo by now (TGS, Direct, MH Festa...) if they were really planning to make it a Switch project.
Instead there were two old DMC ports announced for 20$ each in that time period.

I'm sure there'll be a MH game coming to a Nintendo platform someday, so I'm not worried there, but their Switch support definitely makes the Switch project questionable. Hell, they didn't even port MH Stories there when they have already made a better looking version on a single screen on mobile.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Holiday season is a big season for MH and Icebourne because if the sales on digital storefronts....they have no need to talk about any new MH games this year.

If it's a Switch game it likely will be shown on the first big Direct of 2020 or during Nintendos e3 Direct.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe there is any MH game of relevance coming to the Switch. But even so, a singular producer leaving isn't a sign of cancellation lol.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Capcom is already full on pre-production for the next MH next-generation game. World came quite late into the current cycle console and probably they don't want to happen again.

Makes more sense to wait for Switch 2,which will make port World assets easier to create a spin-off MH game, specially for Nintendo.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Capcom is already full on pre-production for the next MH next-generation game. World came quite late into the current cycle console and probably they don't want to happen again.

Makes more sense to wait for Switch 2,which will make port World assets easier to create a spin-off MH game, specially for Nintendo.
Work on MH6 likely started as soon as World wrapped given that's how it went for 4 and World. That's also why there are multiple teams and leads, so the core MH4 could start on World while some leads kept on 4 Ultimate and the Portable team made Generations. There's probably always 2-3 main MH releases in R&D at any given time.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I got confused for a moment there, I though it was Ichinose but it's Kojima instead. I'm just really hoping Switch gets a 5th gen MH.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
They need to HD remake Monster Hunter Tri and bring back Loc Lac Desert. In the remake, they have to include content from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Monster Hunter Generations/Ultimate, and expand on everything by also making it feel like a sequel. It's quite simple.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The generation games did underperform
they did? generations did 4.3 million and is the 9th best selling capcom game of all time, and generations ultimate did 3.3 million with a japan-only 3DS release, a late switch port and an even later localization. overall that's 7.6 million for a game that was basically a greatest hits title reusing assets from past games, and had maybe 1/5th of the budget of MHW (likely much less). if that's underperforming i'm sure most publishers would love for their games to underperform.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they did? generations did 4.3 million and is the 9th best selling capcom game of all time without ever leaving japan, and generations ultimate did 3.3 million with a japan-only 3DS release, a late switch port and an even later localization. overall that's 7.6 million for a game that was basically a greatest hits title reusing assets from past games, and had maybe 1/5th of the budget of world (likely much less). if that's underperforming i'm sure most publishers would love for their games to underperform.

Generations did release outside of Japan. Source: I own a copy

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I'm kind of sad, because as much as I really like World, I still prefer the older entries.

If only we could have both, but with the success of World, there is no going back. Anyway, it's not like Capcom really care about the Switch right?

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It means it's developed for the NeXT computer with the new technological advancements of object oriented programming!
NSJD-102626734p-03-01.jpg

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Honestly, I really want a new MH for Switch but I'm starting to hope it gets announced soon so people can calm down with the comments lol.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Ichinose makes a portable spin off entry for this series literally every monhun generation and he's already teased the gen 5 one. Not sure why someone who worked on only one entry leaving would suddenly trash ichinose's subseries.