• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
It was alright, the wirebug additions and companion changes are fun.

Can't stomach the visual and performance downgrade though. I'll wait and see if that PC version ends up coming out, if not then I'll still play this when it goes on sale.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I love it and I am extremely exited for the full game, I'm playing GU and while having a great time being honest I'm not loving it like World, I got to experience a lot of the monster variety lacking from world and heck, my two favorite monsters are from GU but playing it after world feels so clunky, I don't particularly mind / miss QoL changes, you can get used to the old way but menu navigation specially crafting, the skills system, missing weapon movements and the fucking paintballs that have ruined hunts take some fun away from me.

I'm having a blast with every weapon on the demo, all of the except Bow, I don't know what it is but it feels terrible, even using gyro feels wrong.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I finished World, but couldn't get into the Rise demo for whatever reason. I felt that none of my knowledge from World helps me play Rise.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be passing on it. I don't play on pc and I don't want to invest the enormous time crunch a mh brings on the switch. Just won't do it. I've got 500+ hours on world, and I'll wait for the follow up on a console where I know I'll feel good playing it. I'm fine with missing out rather than being frustrated by the controls for that time, which I know I'll deal with.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Great for PC players sure, but I've always been a console gamer.
I'm hoping the game makes it to all console at some point. I hated how limited MH used to be, sometimes Japan exclusive, handheld exclusive or locked on Wii or Wii U. World showed the franchise had wings as a AAA console entry and I hope they understand that even as a Spinoff, Rise should be launched on more platforms.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm hoping the game makes it to all console at some point. I hated how limited MH used to be, sometimes Japan exclusive, handheld exclusive or locked on Wii or Wii U. World showed the franchise had wings as a AAA console entry and I hope they understand that even as a Spinoff, Rise should be launched on more platforms.
Rise isn't a spin-off, any more than World was. It's the next mainline game by the portable team.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
its fine. after playing the demo a bunch it just made me want a bigger MHW sequel even more. Sadly probably will be waiting years for. I like some of the things like the wire bug and some of the moves feel crisper to pull off. also love the music.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've been playing it a bit on the Switch and after playing world on the PS5 I just can't do sub 30fps with frame pacing after that.
The animations also looks off to me as in some animations feel like they are 15 fps instead of 30 fps (like World does for monsters that are far away).
It also didn't look all that great on my 55" 4k TV.

I will buy it on PC eventually but it really made me hunger for MHW2.

As for weapons, I play Charge Blade in MHW and it felt similar in Rise except for the animations felt very clipped. I hear HH is the way to go :D

Rise isn't a spin-off, any more than World was. It's the next mainline game by the portable team.

Is this the 6th fleet? :)
We can't really see much of the story stuff in the demo.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.

They give the expeditions in the MH games their own number, so the first game was the 1st fleet, 2nd was the 2nd fleet etc.
MHW has the 5th fleet so then since Rise is a mainline game I'd guess it would be the 6th fleet.

You meet people from the previous "fleets" inside MHW at least too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They give the expeditions in the MH games their own number, so the first game was the 1st fleet, 2nd was the 2nd fleet etc.
MHW has the 5th fleet so then since Rise is a mainline game I'd guess it would be the 6th fleet.

Ah, thanks for the explanation! Hadn't run into that in the previous games and haven't played MHW.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

If that was the case, then why wasn't the wyverian lady that has the nice title of "Third Fleet Master" present in MonHun Tri, 3G?

The fleets are for the New World, not for numeric MonHun games. It just happens that you're in the 5th fleet going to the New World since MHW was basically MonHun 5.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
If that was the case, then why wasn't the wyverian lady that has the nice title of "Third Fleet Master" present in MonHun Tri, 3G?

The fleets are for the New World, not for numeric MonHun games. It just happens that you're in the 5th fleet going to the New World since MHW was basically MonHun 5.

Ah, I didn't know that, I started with MHW and to me it seemed that they named the fleets after the game number as you say. So I presumed the characters that were presented from past fleets were actually in the past games!

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i started with world and could not get into the older games, Rise looks a lot like older MH but with QOL stuff from World, so, maybe i would like

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I know I'm in the minority (and that's fine), and hopefully this doesn't sound incendiary, but I just couldn't get into it. It just looks so ugly to me. And I don't mean the lower poly count or detail, I mean the colors. Everything in the game has garish, clashing colors; the outfits, the world, even the companions. If anything, it's made me appreciate World's color design that much more.

It also doesn't help that I haven't been playing any sub-60 FPS action games recently, and I find it so hard to go back to 30 FPS every time. I eventually get used to it but it's not a pleasing experience for the first few hours.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm in the minority (and that's fine), and hopefully this doesn't sound incendiary, but I just couldn't get into it. It just looks so ugly to me. And I don't mean the lower poly count or detail, I mean the colors. Everything in the game has garish, clashing colors; the outfits, the world, even the companions. If anything, it's made me appreciate World's color design that much more.

It also doesn't help that I haven't been playing any sub-60 FPS action games recently, and I find it so hard to go back to 30 FPS every time. I eventually get used to it but it's not a pleasing experience for the first few hours.

There has to be something wrong with the 30fps with this game though. I play plenty of 30fps games and i could adapt but this demo was a strange first for me. It felt like it struggled hard to hold 30fps even in the very beginning of the first mission.

I need to try it again in handheld mode but on my C9 it was really bothering me.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
Having only played world and its expansion and loved it, I havent enjoyed the demo of Rise like I thought I would...
I LOVE the Japanese theme of rise, so I'm hoping in the full game when I can explore the town and interact with NPCs I'll enjoy it more. Plus a big part of the fun for me was creating a character and building the weapons and armour that I like. In the demo you just get stuck with this hideous armour for the weapons I enjoy.
I also found the impact of my weapons didn't feel as good as World, especially on Bow

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
There has to be something wrong with the 30fps with this game though. I play plenty of 30fps games and i could adapt but this demo was a strange first for me. It felt like it struggled hard to hold 30fps even in the very beginning of the first mission.

I need to try it again in handheld mode but on my C9 it was really bothering me.
Are you talking about the hitches? It seems to occur during online play.

Hopefully they will be able to iron this out before release. It is a demo after all.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about the hitches? It seems to occur during online play.

Hopefully they will be able to iron this out before release. It is a demo after all.

Sadly no. Just the regular offline singleplayer.

I don't unterstand why but it felt jarring to me. I played the Age of Calamity demo a few weeks earlier but that didn't feel as bad at the time.

Maybe it's because i was playing Demon's Souls and Immortals for a long time. 60 fps locked against unstable 30 are night and day.

I should try another 30 fps game to make sure.

EDIT:

Tried BotW just now and it felt off aswell. Not as bad as the Rise Demo but still. So it didn't feel like that when i played it for over 100 hours.

So Rise running at 30fps is the "problem" with me after a few 60fps titles in a row.

Last edited:

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
I was a bit sceptical coming into this and the Switch does seem like a very underpowered machine these days but I absolutely loved the demo and I think I'll be getting this. Whether I do or not depends to an extent on how much there is in the game: the prospect of a Monster Hunter Rise Ultimate a year later makes me think like I might be a bit of a mug for buying the first version with much less content.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played through World with friends, but never really spent tons and tons of post game time grinding gear out, Rise doesn't do enough to get me to want to come back. It's good to hear so many positive impressions, but I'll def wait out til the PC release. Surface level, this looks like a step back; the changes all seem to be on a more mechanical level that longtime fans will appreciate but more casual players like myself wouldn't really dig into. Which is totally fine!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool and I'm very interested, but what I really liked about World was the online co-op aspect. This being on Switch doesn't give me a lot of hope for that being handled well. The fact that none of my MH playing friends even have a Switch doesn't help either. Really not interested in solo hunting.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool and I'm very interested, but what I really liked about World was the online co-op aspect. This being on Switch doesn't give me a lot of hope for that being handled well. The fact that none of my MH playing friends even have a Switch doesn't help either. Really not interested in solo hunting.
The online play works well that I've been able to do a couple of hunts with no issues. I've yet to stumble upon anything that would be considered an issue.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I became a big fan of the series with World, but if I get the MH itch again, I'm just gonna go back to MH World instead of buying Rise, and wait for the next World/Whatever the next MH will be for next-gen consoles and PC.

It looks fine, just not the kind of game I'm gonna play on my Switch.

Last edited:

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Considering how much World was held back by the hardware it was originally on (until the 60fps patch came out for the newer console revisions), I have zero interest in getting it on the Switch.

I put a few hundred hours into World, even with that being the case though. But they eventually started tilting the difficulty level in ways that aren't fun to deal with or manage, which is a big part of what caused me to stop playing it. This makes me really skeptical about getting even the PC version of Rise once it launches - even if hiding the fact that it's coming to PC is a very scummy thing to do in general.

So as a result, I'm taking a very "wait-and-see" approach to this one.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019

Hmmm idk mate

Generations to me was a spin-off too, and that was after MH4

I guess technically all MH are mainline titles and MH Stories and stuff could be the spin-off, but I see World as a direct upgrade to what came before and I think Rise is more like a side-upgrade in the same vein as World.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm idk mate

I guess technically all MH are mainline titles and MH Stories and stuff could be the spin-off, but I see World as a direct upgrade to what came before and I think Rise is more like a side-upgrade in the same vein as World.

As a portable player Rise feels like a direct upgrade to me especially with the added mobility with Wire-bugs. The game feels like a direct predecessor to Portable 3rd which I think Ichinose had a hand in.

To me both World and Rise are huge upgrades, but in different directions. World goes for the more realistic and grounded approach while Rise goes for the more flashy, gamey, and arcadey feel. It also helps that the maps aren't densely packed with corridors like in World which to me is one of the best things they have done for this game. So I really don't see how Rise is a side upgrade just because it doesn't have a huge boost in graphics. In fact the game is adding a lot of things that World didn't have like having an actual variety of monsters unlike base world.

Both are mainline, but they just focus on different things and that's for the better because both Portable and Console players have options.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Hmmm idk mate

In Capcom terms, the only Mainline games have really been MH1, Dos, Tri, MH4, and World; anything else is a spin-off. In Non-Capcom terms, they're all core MH titles while stuff like Stories are spin-offs. It's a weird thing for Capcom but even titles like MH4U (MH4 was Japan only, same for Dos) in the West were technically spin-offs.

This puts rise with MHF, MHF2, P3rd, MHGen, as 'closest to core but not core' titles, typically called the Portable Series. As close to a branch-off as gets for MH. Ain't 6th Gen yet, not for quite a while yet.