• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Looks and plays amazing. I do miss the mounting in World and don't see why we can't have both. I miss the scout flies, slinger and clutch claw. Other than that, the Rise demo is amazing. I wish I could sheathe my weapon with R, I switched running to clicking down on the analogue stick.

In the full game of Rise, will we just have the question marks on the map and know where the monster could be immediately? I think that's my single, biggest gripe. It makes me feel like I am less tracking the monster and just heading straight to it. I wonder if they just disabled it for the demo?

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like that the map is not zones anymore but the extra space feels like it just for mounts and traversal. I prefer a more compact open area but at least they are trying something different.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For me,

+ The wirebug is pretty fun for movement
+ The graphical style is nice, better than any pre-World title
+ It runs pretty well, much smoother than the pre-World games
+ Lots of QoL improvements carried over from World
+ Palamute is pretty cool, good boy

- Wallslams are still a thing, and later MHW hunts were way too focused around them, leading to annoying monster movement patterns you could never hit
- Some silkbind moves are kind of lame
- I want Savage Axe for the CB; hopefully the leaked silkbind moves allude to it
- 30 fps until the PC version comes out
- Dumb content delay on PC seems likely again
- Monster riding/controlling hasn't yet proven itself to be that interesting; I'm not really into things that break up the normal flow

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Rise looks really good, I think I might just be personally a bit burnt out since I put soo much time into World.
This is how I feel. Me and my friends poured our souls into World and came out drained. Fantastic game and Rise looks like an excellent next entry, but I don't think I could do that grind again... at least not for a while.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've always played monster hunter but got into world more than the others.

I like what I've played of rise, I really do, however I have an issue.

Caveat is that the demo maybe isnt the best representation of the full game as it's notthe sort of series that translates it's full experience to a demo well.

But basically I dislike how overly streamlined it is. It's tooeasy jsut to bee-line to the target monster now within half a minute of starting a level and for me a lot of the sense of scale and adventure is lost there. It makes it feel a bit more arena-ish than hunter-ish.

That may seem like a non-issue but for me the 'accountrements' if you will were what made the series stand out.

The wirebug I like but the dodge is a bit too fiddly to pull off. And it seems like the new monster is designed around it, so that may be a breaker for a lot of people.

Drblitzk

Dec 9, 2020
World was not my first one, and definitely not the one that I love the most, but honestly I just can't come back to any other MH, the movility the wirebug offers and all the options it offers both in and out of combat is just incredible, both World and XX feel so slow and clunky now lol.
I've always played monster hunter but got into world more than the others.

I like what I've played of rise, I really do, however I have an issue.

Caveat is that the demo maybe isnt the best representation of the full game as it's notthe sort of series that translates it's full experience to a demo well.

But basically I dislike how overly streamlined it is. It's tooeasy jsut to bee-line to the target monster now within half a minute of starting a level and for me a lot of the sense of scale and adventure is lost there. It makes it feel a bit more arena-ish than hunter-ish.

That may seem like a non-issue but for me the 'accountrements' if you will were what made the series stand out.

The wirebug I like but the dodge is a bit too fiddly to pull off. And it seems like the new monster is designed around it, so that may be a breaker for a lot of people.
The idea is that you go around the map gathering power ups and items, find routes where you can get as many as you can while also going as fast as possible, I just love that, it feels so interactive and I finally have something to do on the maps.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Haven't played the demo but have seen a lot of it streamed. Looks like a lot of fun, better than I thought it would tbh, seems like they kept most of the improvements from World. I hope not all the maps are as wide and empty is the demo one is though. Wirebug moves look neat although between that and how mounting works IG got the short end of the stick it seems. I'd get a Switch Pro to play this.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
World was my first monster hunter and I enjoyed it. Beat all the monsters at release and fell off afterwards at GAAS just really isn't my thing outside of very few exceptions.

It's funny, I get monster hunter is more known for being a portable franchise, but I have less than zero interest in playing it portably, and while I enjoyed world, it didn't... Hook me into the franchise, I guess? I'll almost assuredly be passing on Rise, but will keep an eye out for future mon hun still.

Hope people enjoy it though!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy who jumped into World is keen to play it - the only off putting thing to them is the ninja rope traversal thing, which makese little to no sense.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Im fairly unimpressed, and won't be grabbing it on my switch. I'm tired of 720p or below gaming >_<

I tried playing some MH games before World, but couldn't get into them. Played the shit out of World, though and loved it. I think I have nearly 300 hours on my save.

Happy for those that are excited, however. I'm just finding it hard to play much on my switch lately.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I like it but it's hard to go back from 60 FPS to 30 and the image quality is also not superb... So I'm probably gonna wait.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
It's too much of a technical downgrade for me. Played World on pc at 1440p and 60 fps. Rise on the Switch is very rough in comparison. I'll wait for the pc port and give it another chance.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved World but the fps in rise are not enjoyable for me. Will try the PC Version.

Apr 9, 2019
I've only played a tiny bit of World at my brother's. He's in love with it and let me play for a bit. Because I'm a musician he let me use the hunting horn as a weapon, and BOY was I frustrated =P . I don't like animation-prioritised gameplay - and that hunting horn's animations were SLOW and not (apparently) cancelable - and I quit within minutes. I wasn't getting the setting and tone either.

I'm loving Rise though, maybe because it's on my favourite platform, maybe because I'm using faster weapons this time, and maybe because getting around is much more interesting mechanically with the wirebug and mount. Not sure, but the environment seems to be a little more compact? Which I appreciate. And I finally understood the tone the series is going for, which is zany prehistorical fantasy with talking cats xD .

I just noticed how bad the game's sound quality is, especially compared to World. Everything sounds muffled and compressed and lacks Oomph.

It's like they used super low quality sound samples from the 3DS games (did they?).

Really disappointing. World sounds... worlds better, it's not even comparable.
Interesting that you say that. Haven't played the demo myself (game already preordered though), but in the demo thread there's someone who I trust who said this about Rise - "Sound design & surround implementation is FANTASTIC and reminds me of BotW in a good way. Very lush, natural soundscape that makes it a joy to run around."
Yep, that was me =) . I'm not a sound design expert but I am a critical listener. I've played a lot of it last night and was often grinning at what I was hearing. From a sound quality perspective it didn't sound compressed or muddled to me at all. The weapon sharpening sounds for example (and many other UI sounds) are delightful and aggressive file compression on those would've stood out. It's one of the best sounding games I've heard.

I haven't heard much of World so can't comment on that game's sound.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's great. Lack of voice chat and audio coming through the same headset means I won't touch it at all until it comes out on other platforms, but it's great!

Now I wish I had the same option with the 3D World re-release

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
I just can't "stomach" the downgrade in visuals, the cluttered UI screen in handheld, the frame rate and how crappy it looks on a big TV. I opted for starting a new character in World, learning the CB now.

I'll wait for a PC version, later down the line. But fun gameplay, the new wirebug mechanics seems pretty cool and the new monster are a hoot.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A health bar for the monsters is weird looking and it reminds me too much of Dark Souls.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Played about 10 hours of the demo. It's great and all the new moves and mounting changes are a big improvement. Will most likely wait for the PC version though. Playing at 30 fps and under at that resolution was too jarring after playing hundreds of hours of World on PC.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool! But since its only out for a switch, then it's not a game I'm gonna get cause I'm not gonna get a switch just for that, and unless official sources say that it is coming, I don't think it's gonna come out for PC. That being said, if it does release for PC, I am all up in that.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Looks alright to me. I'll jump in if I have time and money. Of course I wish the visuals were more on par with World but I'll take it as a Switch exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Got into the series with MHW after trying a few of the 3ds entries and bouncing off super fast. Loved MHW and thought the Rise demo was fucking awesome. Really looking forward to it

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I've been a MH fan since the first one. MHW is fantastic but after playing MHR the abysmal performance killed it for me. I hope the PC version rumors are true because I'm definitely waiting for that to play MHR.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The combat mechanics look really good and once the PC version comes out, it'll probably end up being a game I end up dumping hundreds of hours into. Monster Hunter World's combat is top notch stuff and it's great that they're using that as the jumping off point for Rise and building upon it in some smart ways.

I dread the rest of the maps though if the Shrine Ruins are anything to go by. So much fun to traverse, but so dull to actually fight in.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but will have to see the full game to see how I feel about the maps. The wirebug will take some getting used to though.

I'll probably play the game on PC when it comes out later this year.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Just played a bit trying a couple of weapons.

Environments look emptier and of course graphical downgrade due to hardware and no voice chat.

Otherwise it seems like another great entry to the series.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the mix of GU arts and styles into what World started in terms of refinements and QoL changes.

That said I'm not that bothered with the graphical downgrade as much it seems several weapon attacks lacks the 'impact' in terms of visual effects that World had. Dragonpiercer among others does feel way less spectacular and satisfying.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just spent half an hour fishing, cooking steaks and playing with the dog and cat. Love the whole MH vibe.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
The game has me more hyped than World and I loved that game.

I like how the map design mixes World interconnected zone areas without loading while still retaining the old MH feel arenas of each indivual area in the map. The verticality and wirebug are amazing additions for traversal and in battle. Doggo!!

Also it seems their's a concious effort to have more off-the-wall monster designs. I think Nerscylla is back? Spider monster, at least the charge blade in the demo has some spider theme going on, too many goddamn wyverns in World.

Looks like weapon design is back to having unique skins for each monster weapon and not copy-pasta designs like in World. Armor design already look amazing going by demo, love the japanese aesthetic some have.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I

I actually think it sounds better than world!? Opinions i think..

Talking about audio quality isn't an opinion. Even if you disagree with that assertion the person you quoted was replying to a concern about things that aren't about opinions (such as the range of noise levels in the Rise audio seemed less than World's)

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
It's not on PS4 so I don't give a shit. I'm sure World 2 will be great so I'm looking forward to that.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe so many people are dissing Rise here just because it's on Switch.

Anyways, Rise reminds me of Monster Hunter Tri alot, right down to the bitter comments about it being on a Nintendo console.