• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch game should be called Monster Hunter Land. A good fit for a smaller, more portable game. The big World sequel should aim big and be called Monster Hunter Solar System.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Even further on the strange road, Akantor and Ukanlos are flying wyverns...
Part of me wants them to get upgraded to Elders.

They're final boss style monsters that you fight in specific arenas and are worshiped by various people as gods. Just have a line that says "Actually we didn't check that hard, turns out they have Elder Dragon Blood and Bones, oops."

banter

Jan 12, 2018

They're final boss style monsters that you fight in specific arenas and are worshiped by various people as gods. Just have a line that says "Actually we didn't check that hard, turns out they have Elder Dragon Blood and Bones, oops."
I'm pretty sure everyone considers them as elders... except the monster list in game LOL!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure everyone considers them as elders... except the monster list in game LOL!
They're related to Tigrex. Akantor still has vestigial wing membranes and the top of its head looks just like Tigrex's.

Elders shouldn't be the only qualification for being the big bad boss monster, and I really had to hand it to Capcom for bucking that trend with MHGU when the final monster turned out to be a Neopteron. Granted, it is the most insane preying mantis in history, but an elder dragon, it most certainly is not.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Elders shouldn't be the only qualification for being the big bad boss monster, and I really had to hand it to Capcom for bucking that trend with MHGU when the final monster turned out to be a Neopteron. Granted, it is the most insane preying mantis in history, but an elder dragon, it most certainly is not.
Definitely would like to see that more often. Not that I don't like Elder Dragons, but it gets a bit old when the final boss is always an Elder.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
They should've made Nakarkos part of a brand new family.

I want to see more cephalopod-style monsters, even if we don't ever see underwater combat again.

But I guess it's cool that Elder Dragons don't have to be actual dragons.

They should've made Nakarkos part of a brand new family.

I want to see more cephalopod-style monsters, even if we don't ever see underwater combat again.

But I guess it's cool that Elder Dragons don't have to be actual dragons.
Yeah, sea life is sadly underutilized in the series. But hey, given how long it took before they realized folks might actually want to fight giant bugs, maybe they're not so unlikely for inclusion after all.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to come on here and call you out saying there were tons of fanged monsters before they just called them fanged beasts, but I checked and you're right. They have Zinogre as the lone fanged wyvern (in gen ult anyway) whereas all of the rest are fanged beasts. Weird. Even more strange, the royal ludroth is a leviathan and the great jagras (which is nearly identical) is a fanged wyvern.

Even further on the strange road, Akantor and Ukanlos are flying wyverns...

Ukanlos and Akantor are actually ancestors/cousins of Tigrex etc. who never left their extreme hot/cold environment for a moderate one. The ones who left evolved and grew smaller while Akantor/Ukanlos remained the same without any threat to them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you just love how sometimes like

Plesioth will be in the water and

he just stays there

doing nothing

for fucking ever
Hey remember how much better it was when you could dive in the water after him? But nooooo, underwater hunting is gone and I don't know if it's ever coming back. :(
Ukanlos and Akantor are actually ancestors/cousins of Tigrex etc. who never left their extreme hot/cold environment for a moderate one. The ones who left evolved and grew smaller while Akantor/Ukanlos remained the same without any threat to them.
You're close, but the ancestor in this case was something closer to Tigrex. You can see it with how Akantor has vestigial wings, pointing to a flying ancestor.

I would love to try and make a Monster Hunter phylogenetic tree.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey remember how much better it was when you could dive in the water after him? But nooooo, underwater hunting is gone and I don't know if it's ever coming back. :(

You're close, but the ancestor in this case was something closer to Tigrex. You can see it with how Akantor has vestigial wings, pointing to a flying ancestor.

I would love to try and make a Monster Hunter phylogenetic tree.

There is something like that out there, I remember reading it long time ago. It showed bunch of family trees with ancient monsters not in the game. Maybe in one of the illustrations books or the MH wiki, I can't remember.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Is that common? I always see times using the 24-hour clock.

The 24-hour clock is way more common but not quite universal. There also expressions like 午前9時 and 午後9時, which mean AM and PM respectively. よる and あさ just mean evening and morning; in the Capcom case, they're saying "7 in the evening."

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Instead of dropping water combat wholesale, they should have overhauled it to be better and allow us to swim superhumunaly well.
I'd probably would be more welcoming of such an idea, if they just went all in and gave Hunters (and Prowlers) propulsion packs that had aerial and submerged modes. Not only could you have better control underwater for leviathans, but you could then chase flying wyverns when they took to the skies, as well!

Something like this is pretty much the only means I can imagine them upping the ante when it comes to their concern about how to "add on" hunting in 3D space.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'd probably would be more welcoming of such an idea, if they just went all in and gave Hunters (and Prowlers) propulsion packs that had aerial and submerged modes. Not only could you have better control underwater for leviathans, but you could then chase flying wyverns when they took to the skies, as well!

Something like this is pretty much the only means I can imagine them upping the ante when it comes to their concern about how to "add on" hunting in 3D space.
You don't even need propulsion packs for uncanny swimming.

Have a throwaway line about how huntersundergo special training to be able to swim on par with aquatic animals and then have your hunter swimming around like Ecco the Dolphin on dreamcast.

Though air combat sounds sick, to be sure.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not a big fan of underwater combat, perhaps because I only experienced that on the 3DS.

However, I think they recognised and have heard of Plesioth's problems, and have addressed them in recent games. They now spends way less time in water and would randomly jump out much more often. Not only that, I don't think I can recall a time in recent games, where they would dive right back into the waters after they just got out.

The fixes though, revealed a devastating fact about the eel with legs.... That they are not terribly fun nor challenging to fight once you take away their cross-dimensional hipcheck and "nerfed" their swim time.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Plesioth was fine in GU and didn't spend much time in water.
The hitbox are sometimes Wtf but that's more its gimmick now, can't do Plesioth without this.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sea life is sadly underutilized in the series. But hey, given how long it took before they realized folks might actually want to fight giant bugs, maybe they're not so unlikely for inclusion after all.

Yeah, we need some new archetypes. Cephalopods and carnivorous plants are long due!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

I would love to try and make a Monster Hunter phylogenetic tree
I would pay a couple dozen of dollars for a high quality CGI wildlife mockumentary in the style of Walking with X series.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Why does underwater combat keep coming back up

It was awful

I would only accept a hybrid approach at this point. Allow the player to dive for resources, harpoon fish with slinger, use slinger to provoke large monsters on land

Done

None of this trying to use your damn weapons underwater

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with underwater fighting. Maybe with depth control, but that was a minor thing.

Fighting lagiacrus and gobul was epic as hell and you just can't get that same effect on land. I want it back

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with underwater fighting. Maybe with depth control, but that was a minor thing.

Fighting lagiacrus and gobul was epic as hell and you just can't get that same effect on land. I want it back
Not to mention the elder dragon fight. I loved doing that shit with a group.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention the elder dragon fight. I loved doing that shit with a group.

Ceadeus was legit the worst fight in the entire series history

Also the Capcom TV stream basically was a wet noodle

Merchandise and antics mostly. There was something about March 21st in the ending trailer section but I cant read japanese so