• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If hope that if they are going to keep two streams going, that one of them continues to use the old armour/skill system. As I preferred it to the system used in World.
The skill system is one thing. The selfish part of me just wants to see the return of separate Blademaster/Gunner armors, again.

Though, considering that would mean far more work, even on top of what may already exist for the World-level assets they can use, I'm not sure if I can count on that. But as long as Ichinose's group doesn't repeat verbatim things like World's Augmentation system and Tempered monsters, that already would make me a happy hunter.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Was anything actually announced other than the hint on that image?

No. But considering the anniversary celebration is going to be a thing the rest of the month, and then onward for the rest of the year, it really is a thing that they can choose to hold off for as little or as long as they want.

Either way, it's not likely something we're going to be actually playing until next year, anyway.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
No. But considering the anniversary celebration is going to be a thing the rest of the month, and then onward for the rest of the year, it really is a thing that they can choose to hold off for as little or as long as they want.

Well that covers all bases for ambiguous hope for the rest of the year.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To get an idea of what a World port would look like on Switch undocked just check GPDWin2 footage. It runs it 504p and ranging 25-45fps. Switch undocked would likely end up 540p and closer to 30fps.

This looks pretty good honestly. Though I think a brand new game with that level of visual fidelity would probably be better for Capcom. Why have just 1 MH series when you can have 2 that sell millions and millions of copies, just like the old setup of the Portable series on PSP and the home games on PS2/Wii.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
As a Switch only player who is into Monster Hunter, I genuinely don't care whether Monster Hunter World can run on the thing or not.

Not anymore.

Let's have a brand new Monster Hunter game that everyone can be excited for, including millions of MHW owners who have already played the latter to death.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want a MHW Switch port. Just give me a new game with better and more monster variety than World had.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
As a Switch only player who is into Monster Hunter, I genuinely don't care whether Monster Hunter World can run on the thing or not.

Not anymore.

Let's have a brand new Monster Hunter game that everyone can be excited for, including millions of MHW owners who have already played the latter to death.

I think we can all agree that a fresh 5th gen title is the best case scenario here

Combined with Iceborne we are looking at the most robust dropping of content in the series history

Well I suppose 3rd gen was pretty good with Portable 3rd/Tri/3G and eventually 3U all existing around the same time

But that wasnt global!

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

Not anymore.

Asking for ports is old hat. Switch is proven well enough that we should be aiming for newness, at least when it comes to Japanese support.

Hoping for an HD Collection of previous titles.
I don't feel it's in Capcom's best interest to dig up the first two generations of the series with how damn far behind they are on pretty much every front for accessibility, as well as encounter designs in terms of hitboxes and really stupid shit like how Plesioth used to work. MH4U absolutely deserves an HD remaster, but I don't think there's really a pressing need for anything else outside of Stories.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes, sweet. EDIT: Damnit, 7 pm, not 7 am.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want a MHW Switch port. Just give me a new game with better and more monster variety than World had.
The entire reason World had a lower monster count is that it is the start of a new generation and a significant hardware leap. People comparing it with Generations Ultimate don't seem to remember that Generations Ultimate is the 4th iteration of Monster Hunter's 4th generation.

I sometimes wonder if the fans who complain about World's monster variety would have preferred if we just kept bolting more shit onto the 4th generation frame until the end of time. Monster Hunter XXX with new G+ rank and Qurupeco and subspecies or something like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The entire reason World had a lower monster count is that it is the start of a new generation and a significant hardware leap. People comparing it with Generations Ultimate don't seem to remember that Generations Ultimate is the 4th iteration of Monster Hunter's 4th generation.

I sometimes wonder if the fans who complain about World's monster variety would have preferred if we just kept bolting more shit onto the 4th generation frame until the end of time. Monster Hunter XXX with new G+ rank and Qurupeco and subspecies or something like that.
No need to compare World with Gen (a celebration title) when you can compare it with 4.

I don't think you can blame folks much when Capcom decided to add no new monster families to World or that certain skeletons are over-represented at the expense of not having any of the great and unique ones that fourth gen added. No one was asking Capcom to limit themselves to the bare minimum for the first big console project in years, and yet here we are.

You could easily get a shitload of variety with just over 30 monsters. MHW ain't that game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No need to compare World with Gen (a celebration title) when you can compare it with 4.
Sure. 4 also wasn't a hardware jump and reused a bunch of early monsters without much updating, but I agree that 4 is the gold standard and World doesn't live up to 4's standard.

But I'm also not sure why people's "solution" is "make a totally new game with more monsters", as if that's somehow preferable to just adding more to the base World already set up. Especially when literally the next Monster Hunter thing that's releasing is "more stuff for World." And it's really don't get how anyone could want a Switch game that's just "Generations Ultimate but more".
I don't think you can blame folks much when Capcom decided to add no new monster families to World or that certain skeletons are over-represented at the expense of not having any of the great and unique ones that fourth gen added. No one was asking Capcom to limit themselves to the bare minimum for the first big console project in years, and yet here we are.
They basically added a new monster family with the fanged wyverns, which were literally just Zinogre before World.

They basically added a new monster family with the fanged wyverns, which were literally just Zinogre before World.
Increasing the numbers of an existing family isn't exactly breaking new ground, though, especially when you have Tobi-Kadachi and it being more or less a baby Zinogre with some Kecha Wacha gliding thrown in for some weird reason. And it really doesn't help that most of the new fanged wyverns take after Royal Ludroth more than anything else Zinogre.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds great actually.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Welllllll if we are going to go that route the leap from 3 to 4 is far smaller than the leap from 4 to World but apples and oranges

Needless to say 5th gen will catch up to its predecessors in due time now that the foundations are laid

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we all knew that keeping the series on PS2++ tech era would gonna make the jump to newer hardware an ordeal for Capcom. Now that the jump is done, I'm sure they have now the base to catch to past entries level of content.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I was going to come on here and call you out saying there were tons of fanged monsters before they just called them fanged beasts, but I checked and you're right. They have Zinogre as the lone fanged wyvern (in gen ult anyway) whereas all of the rest are fanged beasts. Weird. Even more strange, the royal ludroth is a leviathan and the great jagras (which is nearly identical) is a fanged wyvern.

Even further on the strange road, Akantor and Ukanlos are flying wyverns...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we all knew that keeping the series on PS2++ tech era would gonna make the jump to newer hardware an ordeal for Capcom. Now that the jump is done, I'm sure they have now the base to catch to past entries level of content.

I'm honestly not sure how true that is considering the next game will have to be rebuilt for PS5/XBwhatever.

I was going to come on here and call you out saying there were tons of fanged monsters before they just called them fanged beasts, but I checked and you're right. They have Zinogre as the lone fanged wyvern (in gen ult anyway) whereas all of the rest are fanged beasts. Weird. Even more strange, the royal ludroth is a leviathan and the great jagras (which is nearly identical) is a fanged wyvern.

It's an unofficial family, but Akantor and Ukanlos use a lot of the pseudowyvern skeleton shared by Tigrex, Nargacuga and Barioth. Of course, monster family names don't really mean much when elder dragons include the likes of a unicorn, a sand whale, at least two Cthulu-like creatures and a world serpent.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Baww they keep messing around with everything

We just identify them by skeleton models anyways

So Jagras is obvious cut from Leviathan cloth like Ludroth and Lagiacrus with obvious additions to his animations

But yeah we have very few monster frames for World at the moment but Im expecting thats to change big time for Iceborne

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds great actually.
I mean, more power to you. After playing through 4U and Generations and starting a Generations Ultimate play through because I don't have my 3DS file, yeah, I am done with the 4th generation.
Welllllll if we are going to go that route the leap from 3 to 4 is far smaller than the leap from 4 to World but apples and oranges

Needless to say 5th gen will catch up to its predecessors in due time now that the foundations are laid
No, they should clearly abandon it all and just rerelease Generations updates until the end of time.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Fanged beasts = Mammals (Pigs, monkeys, bears, elephants)
Fanged wyverns = Proto-mammals (Animals like Dimetrodon and Gorgonops)

This is also why you have both lizard-looking and more mammalian fanged wyverns.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure how true that is considering the next game will have to be rebuilt for PS5/XBwhatever.

I guess a bunch of the tech they built for the "updated" MTFramework version they used for world can be iterated for next gen version. At worst the work here, can still be used for next-gen switch hardware.

And from what I remember on interviews, there was also a lot of work in conceptualizing this new entry and all the changes they made for this 5th gen version of the series. So is not only the tech, they basically created the new footprint for the series to follow for several entries.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
A comprehensive list would be exhausting, to say the least, especially when you consider that the Rath and Diablos skeletons got overhauled in Tri, so they technically count twice.

Naw they are close enough but man have they seen some serious changes over the generations

Actually doesnt the wiki break down all the types?