• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to use B team because prior to World the "B Team" was the team that made the most popular and widely appreciated MH title.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't put Gen over 4U (haven't played GenU).

I just feel like the Styles were too much and really made a lot of the game just a cakewalk, even more so than stuff like the mantles in World.
In Generations Ultimate, it's more apparent just how many monster movesets are balanced around having an Adept Dodge, Valor Block, or some sort of evasion art - and I've found it suitably challenging in G rank with appropriate gear.

I'd also put Generations Ultimate over 4U, because 4U's endgame is rather poor. The Deviant theme tune is irritating to be sure, but not as irritating as 4U's Wystone swiping mechanic. Or randomized Guild Quests set in dull linear maps (which also culminate in more Apex shenanigans later). Or the baffling decision to require gunner sets to use so many more Divine Spheres to max out (which actively discouraged me from forging any more armor pieces than the bare minimum). Or the wretchedness of bowgun relics with low attack power and clip sizes that look like a bingo card that discourage me from running them altogether.

I'd sooner go back to 3U than 4U, to be honest.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's funny to use B team because prior to World the "B Team" was the team that made the most popular and widely appreciated MH title.
I honestly think the way Capcom looks at it is the best way: the Portable team games are just as much "main" games as the ones who made the numbered games and World. The fact that the 15th anniversary picture proudly depicts Zinogre, Glavenus and Valstrax is just another reminder of such.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never say "Lets go back to loading screens" but parts of the MHW maps need work. The corridors aren't the worst because you can still do stuff in them (easy to run/slide through and grab gathering materials along the way), but some monsters just hang around in them too much (Tobi and Barroth immediately come to mind as being two monsters that I seem to never encounter outside of the corridors).

I'm actually fine with all of the maps except Ancient Forest, which is just a complete mess. If there were more maps up to the quality of, say, Rotten Vale, I don't think there'd be as many complaints.
250+ hours played and I still get lost in that forest :(

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think the way Capcom looks at it is the best way: the Portable team games are just as much "main" games as the ones who made the numbered games and World. The fact that the 15th anniversary picture proudly depicts Zinogre, Glavenus and Valstrax is just another reminder of such.

Yeah there are two teams but they are by no means separate

They collaborate, work together, piggy back ideas and push the series forward faster than if there was just one

Talking about them is some divisive fashion is silly to me

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A vs B team is a bit misleading anyway since it's largely just the design leads that differ and both "teams" are within the same division and location. The actual "B team" would be the Frontier group in Tokyo at Gapcom Online Games.

Actually slightly more overall staff from MH4U worked on Generations than World.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
A vs B team is a bit misleading anyway since it's largely just the design leads that differ and both "teams" are within the same division and location. The actual "B team" would be the Frontier group in Tokyo at Gapcom Online Games.

Actually slightly more overall staff from MH4U worked on Generations than World.
Frontier is the D team
/s

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Loading screens between zones are a no go for me. Sorry but fighting a monster than getting slightly bumped into the next zone, only to be greeted by a loading screen and the music turning off is completely jarring ans reeks of something from the PS2 era.

The loading screens had to go. World map design is not very good though. The maps needed to be big to accommodate so many monsters, but they're very cumbersome and outright confusing to navigate. First thing I did every time I encountered a new monster in World was collect tracks to get my scout level up. The scout flies were necessary cause of how it easy it is to get lost

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Loading screens between zones are a no go for me. Sorry but fighting a monster than getting slightly bumped into the next zone, only to be greeted by a loading screen and the music turning off is completely jarring ans reeks of something from the PS2 era.

The loading screens had to go. World map design is not very good though. The maps needed to be big to accommodate so many monsters, but they're very cumbersome and outright confusing to navigate. First thing I did every time I encountered a new monster in World was collect tracks to get my scout level up. The scout flies were necessary cause of how it easy it is to get lost

Lol I dont get the loading screen thing

IT was a relic neccesitated by portable hardware and would be an unneccesary constraint to add to a Switch title

Its dead jim they have moved on

Unless you think they are gonna put fixed camera and tank controls back in Resident Evil

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I would be more accepting of the new map design if they didn't just turn every spot that was a load screen into a long ass corridor where the monster won't fight you, and if you try to fight it, it will roar and run to the nearest numbered zone. They need to get more creative with their map design to fix these issues. It just feels like they removed the load screens but didn't actually improve the maps. Accidental zone transitions in old games sucked big time, but at least I didn't have to go through the 30-60 second sequence where I just follow the monster to the next open fighting area.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I would be more accepting of the new map design if they didn't just turn every spot that was a load screen into a long ass corridor where the monster won't fight you, and if you try to fight it, it will roar and run to the nearest numbered zone. They need to get more creative with their map design to fix these issues. It just feels like they removed the load screens but didn't actually improve the maps. Accidental zone transitions in old games sucked big time, but at least I didn't have to go through the 30-60 second sequence where I just follow the monster to the next open fighting area.

? I would just pull up my map (which would show where the monster was going) and fast travel

And outside of anjanath this hardly ever was an issue anyways. People keep bringing this criticism up but during the last 100 hours of gameplay I can remember this doesnt come up as an issue for me

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
? I would just pull up my map (which would show where the monster was going) and fast travel

And outside of anjanath this hardly ever was an issue anyways. People keep bringing this criticism up but during the last 100 hours of gameplay I can remember this doesnt come up as an issue for me
How is fast travel a solution??? Most cases it won't make it any faster. It's not like there's always viable camp to travel to that will make it any faster than just walking.

You're right, I don't really have an issue with it at end game because everything generally dies before zone transitions anyway. It also affects monsters that you generally don't fight very often at endgame (Anja like you said, tobi kadachi, barroth, kulu, pink rathian etc... Basically any monster that spawns in corridors). But other things disguising the problem doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it won't get worse in the future.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
How is fast travel a solution??? Most cases it won't make it any faster. It's not like there's always viable camp to travel to that will make it any faster than just walking.

You're right, I don't really have an issue with it at end game because everything generally dies before zone transitions anyway. It also affects monsters that you generally don't fight very often at endgame (Anja like you said, tobi kadachi, barroth, kulu, pink rathian etc... Basically any monster that spawns in corridors). But other things disguising the problem doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it won't get worse in the future.

With max research level it just tells you where the monster is heading so you would either run it or fast travel to the nearest camp

Its was just an issue that faded quickly the more you played

I dont see it as an argument FOR loading zones. Their existence was predicated on design limitations not some adherence to a tradition

It just happens that they were locked into those limitations through hardware for nearly 10 years

Its clear that they intended to break them the first chance they got and they talked about it a TON in the vid docs for MHworld

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'd pay good money for them to bring back prowlers in Iceborne.

I miss that playstyle while Worlding so much.

Or hell...just give hunters a proper boomerang weapon style.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
With max research level it just tells you where the monster is heading so you would either run it or fast travel to the nearest camp

Its was just an issue that faded quickly the more you played

I dont see it as an argument FOR loading zones. Their existence was predicated on design limitations not some adherence to a tradition

It just happens that they were locked into those limitations through hardware for nearly 10 years

Its clear that they intended to break them the first chance they got and they talked about it a TON in the vid docs for MHworld
The only argument I'm making for is that it's quicker. I understand that they won't go back and that they shouldn't go back. I just want them to improve their current alternative somehow.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd pay good money for them to bring back prowlers in Iceborne.

I miss that playstyle while Worlding so much.

Or hell...just give hunters a proper boomerang weapon style.
One thing that would immediately get me motivated to play World again is the return of Prowlers. Or even a new weapon to try out, in general.

If not the World team, then I'm definitely hoping the Portable team will deliver on giving me back my cats in their next title, at the very least!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is a rather misleading figure when a major portion of that "overall staff" shared between Generations and 4U was MT Framework crew that worked on basically. any project involving the engine.

As you said though, the games were developed in basically the same place. There isn't an "A team" and a "B team". Just because some designers worked on one game and not another doesn't meant they're a "different team" beyond their specific projects. Especially in a company like Capcom that tends to move its staff around on different projects and bring in "outside" help.

Damn I ended convincing myself we would get a reveal on the 15th.

So if there is only iceborne news we'll have to endure the "loool MH sWitch isN't HaPpenIng lmfao" posts for maybe 3 months.

Sigh...
I mean, you could just stick to Media Create sales threads where virtually the only Monster Hunter discussion is about when it'll come to Switch.

Last edited:
I just looked into it, and I'm not sure if a monster named Disaster Wyvern is peak laziness or peak genius. Especially when it looks like this...

latest

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just looked into it, and I'm not sure if a monster named Disaster Wyvern is peak laziness or peak genius. Especially when it looks like this...

latest
At first I thought you were talking about a monster who had a fancy title "Disaster Wyvern".

Then I googled and realized its name was Disaster Wyvern.

Did they just give up?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

latest
Every one of the MHO monsters look like weird bootlegs to me.

Like, this isn't a Monster Hunter hunter, it's from "Dragon Star Hunting Master Online" or something.

Every one of the MHO monsters look like weird bootlegs to me.

Like, this isn't a Monster Hunter hunter, it's from "Dragon Star Hunting Master Online" or something.
I have to admire them for putting in some unique stuff in there like Caeserber and Tartaronis, but yeah, they have the same issues as MHFO in that they spend a lot of time reskinning existing monsters but add a bunch of hard edges to them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter Frontier's current flagship for comparison. I can't tell if I hate it more or less.
latest

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest problem with the above: that stupid crystal in the middle of its head.

Monster Hunter has a bunch of fantasy bullshit, but this is trite fantasy bullshit.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Monster Hunter Frontier's current flagship for comparison. I can't tell if I hate it more or less.
latest

Oh, Frontier~! :lol

...But I'll say this about the Frontier squad: for all that the Frontier designers love to just add random spikes or extra horns, and get SO MUCH MILEAGE out of those Daora and Tigrex skeletons for re-skinning...at least some of the designs actually look cool/stupid in a very "Chuni" way.

That "Disaster Wyvern" doesn't even look "cool". It just looks so bootleg, as another put it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest problem with the above: that stupid crystal in the middle of its head.

Monster Hunter has a bunch of fantasy bullshit, but this is trite fantasy bullshit.
I think what bugs me about Frontier is how often they design monsters without overt real world animal influences, which goes against Monster Hunter's main design ethos.

Take Nergigante. It's a big spiky demon dragon, but the designers grounded the design by giving the spines the same color palette as a porcupine's quills. So when you see Nergigante throw spikes everywhere, it doesn't feel like some arbitrary fantasy ability.

Even Valstrax, a fucking jet dragon, takes some inspiration from real birds of prey with its hooked beak, piercing cry, scaly talons, and peregrine falcon-style dive-bombing technique.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Unless something changed (give us the source), there's no B, C or D team.

Tsujimoto: Frankly, it's not like we have some multi-thousand member development team on this game. It's about 150 people on the Monster Hunter development team.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ns-10-can-capcom-finally-make-the-west-listen

That's an interview from 2014, so it's a completely different situation today.

It's better to think of Capcom in terms of production lines or projects, rather than "teams" in the sense we usually do so. With RE2 and DMC5, there was still plenty of staff overlap, but the projects were distinct.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The forest is far too mazey for a first area. It's nice and all, but there are a lot of useless areas.
Ancient Forest was basically a proof of concept for what Monster Hunter could do with the power of current gen consoles.

It's the perfect thing to show off at trade shows to reviewers to prove that World wouldn't be like the previous games. And they only needed to run around it for a couple of minutes to get that idea, unlike all of us who had to deal with it for potentially hundreds of hours. Hopefully, now that reviewers won't need this proven to them, we won't see any more maps as egregious as it.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
That's an interview from 2014, so it's a completely different situation today.

It's better to think of Capcom in terms of production lines or projects, rather than "teams" in the sense we usually do so. With RE2 and DMC5, there was still plenty of staff overlap, but the projects were distinct.
I believe there's always a small team working with the producer/director of the next MH game.

For example, most of the MH team were working on MHW, but they also had a small group working with Ichione/Tsujimoto (?) on the next MH game. Now the big team has moved from MHW to the next MH game, but there's a new small group working on MHW2 or whatever.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I believe there's always a small team working with the producer/director of the next MH game.

For example, most of the MH team were working on MHW, but they also had a small group working with Ichione/Tsujimoto (?) on the next MH game. Now the big team has moved from MHW to the next MH game, but there's a new small group working on MHW2 or whatever.
I'm sure the big team is working on Iceborne.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
And looking further into 2019, Molant describes the forthcoming Monster Hunter World Iceborne expansion as a "key" release based on the main game's success - but that's not all that Capcom has in the pipeline for this year.

"We have announced Monster Hunter World Iceborne and will have more news to share in the future. Given the success of Monster Hunter World, it will be a key project for us," he said.

"There is also more to come that I'm not allowed to discuss yet, if you want another interview with me on behalf of Capcom in the future."

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...r-worlds-second-largest-platform-capcom-says/

If they port MHW to Switch (including the expansion or not) I'm gonna laugh really hard.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
And looking further into 2019, Molant describes the forthcoming Monster Hunter World Iceborne expansion as a "key" release based on the main game's success - but that's not all that Capcom has in the pipeline for this year.

"We have announced Monster Hunter World Iceborne and will have more news to share in the future. Given the success of Monster Hunter World, it will be a key project for us," he said.

"There is also more to come that I'm not allowed to discuss yet, if you want another interview with me on behalf of Capcom in the future."

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...r-worlds-second-largest-platform-capcom-says/

If they port MHW to Switch (including the expansion or not) I'm gonna laugh really hard.

You kidding me that would be amazing

Ill take either Port or Ground up New game though Im pretty sure I know what everyones preference would be

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope the next MH for Switch is by the big team. I dont want a 3DS styled MH again. Let them make a big MH that uses Switch power
That would be the most disappointing outcome of this teasing...
I disagree. MH World on Switch would be great. Most disappointing outcome would be another 3DS styled game.