• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously a tease of the 5th gen Switch release.

Porting MH World was never an option because of the Sony cross promotion deal - it's the biggest series Capcom has to offer to Nintendo and they are going to want Nintendo to be able to promote the shit out of a MH release including hardware bundles. All this wouldn't be possible with a MHW on Switch.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm not sure of what it would take to convince some of you that World can't be ported to the Switch at this point.

Capcom could outright say it and we'd still get people going "yeah, right, Sony marketing deal anyone?"

EDIT: lol

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean who cares about loading zones to be honest with you it's not like world was any really different. pworld had no loading zones but you never fought the monsters in the corridors.
Literally every review of MHW said "Thank God they got rid of loading zones" to some effect.

Even if more hardcore players don't care about them, World wouldn't have gotten the reviews that it did if it still did maps the same way as the old games.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously a tease of the 5th gen Switch release.

Porting MH World was never an option because of the Sony cross promotion deal - it's the biggest series Capcom has to offer to Nintendo and they are going to want Nintendo to be able to promote the shit out of a MH release including hardware bundles. All this wouldn't be possible with a MHW on Switch.

I want receipts

That old rumor keeps getting pushed as truth than qualify it with something

Otherwise can we please stop posting it as if it was factual

World was multiplat and Generations Ultimate was ported. Nothing points to Sony locking down anything

I'm not sure of what it would take to convince some of you that World can't be ported to the Switch at this point.

Capcom could outright say it and we'd still get people going "yeah, right, Sony marketing deal anyone?"

I think its technically possible and Iron Galaxy expressed interest in doing it

The barrier is a combination of economic and technical. The investment and effort have to be worth it and maybe they will opt to make a ground up switch game instead of banging their heads on a porting effort

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It may be worth adding that David Gibson retweeted Stealth, and he was one of the ones hinting at a Switch Monster Hunter with his "wait for it..." tweet a month ago.

However ideally I would want them to have all resources go to one singular game with crossplay on as many platforms as possible.

That could be years out if ever but who knows

And again, I don't think I'm that pressed about a "single game approach", if only because the console games and portable games inevitably will have different choices made regarding gameplay, design choice, new monster designs and likely even returning monsters. Not to mention how the console games usually push for "simulation" aspects, while portable is much more "arcade-y".

A world where the likes of more over-the-top designs such as Zinogre, Glavenus and Valfalk/Valstrax don't ever appear again would make me sad. Let alone if cool ideas like prowlers, styles/arts or weapon concepts, like the boomerang and hunting dog, stay/go back to the cutting room floor, because it's very possible such doesn't fit what the console team wants in their games.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017

Which is why I wouldn't mind a more traditional Monster Hunter appearing on the Switch. One with actual challenge before endgame, unlike MHW.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Main reason I don't like world are the mechanics for the combat. Just the way it controls, the sluggish movement, the lack of polish in comparison to the classic games in hitting something. I really cannot overlook this aspect personally, it's absolutely a dealbreaker for me. I don't care if they add tons of quality of life features but if the gameplay itself has a noticable inferior aspect then I can't really get into it.

They need to improve their combat engine.

This is kind of baffling. Do you mean the arts from the Generations games?

I've played many a monster hunter and World is probably the most satisfying feeling one I've ever played. Just having full control with a controller is a step up, but I'm just so confused as to what you mean by sluggish movement and lack of polish when it comes to combat.

I've got an issue or two with World, such as monster variety and some of the level design, but I've never considered combat to be one of the issues.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I want receipts

That old rumor keeps getting pushed as truth than qualify it with something

Otherwise can we please stop posting it as if it was factual

World was multiplat and Generations Ultimate was ported. Nothing points to Sony locking down anything
I don't think you have read or at least understood what I posted.

I wrote down what kind of support Capcom would be expecting for a MH on Switch and why this wouldn't be possible with a MHW port. The game was PS4 only in Asia, unveiled at Sony's conference, had exclusive PS4 hardware bundles and feature DLC of a first party Sony character.

If you think there wasn't a cross promotion marketing deal in place, I don't know what to tell you...it doesn't get more obvious than this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It may be worth adding that David Gibson retweeted Stealth, and he was one of the ones hinting at a Switch Monster Hunter with his "wait for it..." tweet a month ago.

And again, I don't think I'm that pressed about a "single game approach", if only because the console games and portable games inevitably will have different choices made regarding gameplay, design choice, new monster designs and likely even returning monsters. Not to mention how the console games usually push for "simulation" aspects, while portable is much more "arcade-y".

A world where the likes of more over-the-top designs such as Zinogre, Glavenus and Valfalk/Valstrax don't ever appear again would make me sad. Let alone if cool ideas like prowlers, styles/arts or weapon concepts, like the boomerang and hunting dog, stay/go back to the cutting room floor, because it's very possible such doesn't fit what the console team wants in their games.

What you are talking about is more experimental releases like Generations and not neccessarily a "traditional" MH experience though

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Look up how Monster Hunter World runs on a GPD Win 2, with comparable hardware performance to a switch, and you have your very simple answer as to why World will never be on switch.

Excited the switch is getting its own line, so many incredible monsters that will never make it to the World engine framework.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

If that were the case and it's only that Switch can't run the game natively then where's Monster Hunter: World Cloud Version?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Look up how Monster Hunter World runs on a GPD Win 2, with very comparable hardware performance to a switch, and you have your very simple answer as to why World will never be on switch.

Excited the switch is getting its own line, so many incredible monsters that will never make it to the World engine framework.

Agreed

Its more about whatever challenges and investment are neccessary vs just making a Switch optimized game from the ground up

Hopefully down the line we have the mainline games across all platforms with hopefully crossplay. Might need Switch 2 for that though

If that were the case and it's only that Switch can't run the game natively then where's Monster Hunter: World Cloud Version?

Umm the decision on allocation of resources can include factors outside of the one you seem to be hung up on

But by all means keep pointing to "Sony Deal" as the scapegoat without evidence

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you have read or at least understood what I posted.

I wrote down what kind of support Capcom would be expecting for a MH on Switch and why this wouldn't be possible with a MHW port. The game was PS4 only in Asia, unveiled at Sony's conference, had exclusive PS4 hardware bundles and feature DLC of a first party Sony character.

If you think there wasn't a cross promotion marketing deal in place, I don't know what to tell you...it doesn't get more obvious than this.

Whats obvious

They made marketing deals where they made sense to do so based on the market

This is not evidence of some larger deal like the one in the rumor

Its just means in that region this approach made the most sense. I remain unconvinced that they made some massive global strategy that has contractual obligations to be exclusive from a singled out platform

Its doesnt match up with anything they are doing right now

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think a MHW port is realistic at this point. it's not coming, world is going to get its expansion and then the team will start working on a big sequel for ps5/xb2/pc
but, a proper monster hunter game on switch is a guaranteed 4 to 5 million seller (most of it in japan). that's not a number any company can pass on, so i expect to be already in the works. plus, it can take many of the assets that are already created for world and downgrade them so it's not like they have to start everything from scratch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Whats obvious

Its just means in that region this approach made the most sense. I remain unconvinced that they made some massive global strategy that has contractual obligations to be exclusive from a singled out platform

They didn't single out a platform (Switch), they singled out a region (Asia) for console exclusivity. That why it's the ONLY Capcom game not to release on Xbox One in the region.

That old 4chan rumor was all over the place but it got too much correct to be discounted entirely. I think it was partially wrong on this though, Sony got a deal but only for the region and not specifically to block Nintendo (although the deal effectively accomplishes that anyway).

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I just hope the next MH isn't a casual push over like World.

I want the old MH difficulty please, not just the G rank being difficult.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah going to disagree with this sentiment entirely

But yea G rank is coming dude

Personally AT Monsters, Behemoth, and Kulve were good enough for a first outing of the new generation

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Whats obvious

Where or when did I state that the deal didn't make sense for Capcom or Sony ? Or that it was some kind of foul play ?

I'm stating facts and haven't posted my opinion on this case.
You are defending something that isn't even being attacked lol.

This isn't about Sony blocking MHW from happening on Switch but Capcom getting the most out of a Switch MH release. The most they can get out of it would be a non-MHW release where they can bank on Nintendo supporting and promoting it like they did in the past for exclusive MH titles.

It's not that complicated.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
GTAV's an Xbox 360 game.

Besides why would western companies, who've done no streaming releases on Switch yet, do cloud clients for Japan?
It was just an example of how a game being successful doesn't guarantee it would come out on Switch on any capacity.

But yeah, Switch can't run World, and to this day people haven't produced any evidence to the contrary, unless you call pointing at Doom 2016 being ported at less than half the framerate and almost half the resolution proof that anything can run on Switch if you believe hard enough.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand this, but at the same time, the endgame is almost all that really matters, so I don't really care if low rank and most of high rank are easier than they are in past games.

Don't all the veterans just blitz through it as fast as possible? I know I do.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Where or when did I state that the deal didn't make sense for Capcom or Sony ? Or that it was some kind of foul play ?

I'm stating facts and haven't posted my opinion on this case.
You are defending something that isn't even being attacked lol.

This isn't about Sony blocking MHW from happening on Switch but Capcom getting the most out of a Switch MH release. The most they can get out of it would be a non-MHW release where they can bank on Nintendo supporting and promoting it like they did in the past for exclusive MH titles.

It's not that complicated.

"Porting MH World was never an option because of the Sony cross promotion deal"

This is literally exactly what you posted

Regardless I agree with you on the other assertion. All signs are pointing to a ground up 5th gen game as opposed to porting world

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It was just an example of how a game being successful doesn't guarantee it would come out on Switch on any capacity.

But yeah, Switch can't run World, and to this day people haven't produced any evidence to the contrary, unless you call pointing at Doom 2016 being ported at less than half the framerate and almost half the resolution proof that anything can run on Switch if you believe hard enough.
It doesn't matter if Switch can or can't run MHW natively, it can stream it in the franchise's biggest national market. Just like it streams BH7 or PSO2 there.

Switch isn't going to get MHW in any form though for the same reason Xbox One didn't get it in Asia. Xbox One also isn't getting Iceborne in Asia and it's not exactly a mystery why.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What you are talking about is more experimental releases like Generations and not neccessarily a "traditional" MH experience though
That may end up being a possibility, but doesn't indicate entirely what I meant.

Zinogre still debuted in Portable 3rd, though, for example. He ended up being popular enough that the main team pretty much "had" to put him in 3U and 4th gen games. Portable 3rd is also where the Felyne Comrades/Palicoes getting customizable equipment first debuted, which again, rolled over into the 4th gen entrants. One could even argue that "mantles" in World were the console team's "answer" to the styles introduced in Generations. And it just goes on.

In the end, it can't be discounted that the Portable team contributed some ideas that rolled over into the more mainstream games, but I just foresee that the divisions and individualized "answering" to each other is just going to continue. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if the Portable team leans more into things that the Console team may shy away from.

Or in other words, I'm personally not expecting World's expansion to change things up with, for example, making your Palico playable with their take on the Prowler moveset. But it would be something I'd expect the Portable side to expand on.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope that the endgame for the new title won't consist of shitty raids (Kulve Taroth) or Frontier MMO bullshit (Higher level Deviants, Leshen, Behemoth, AT).

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It was entertaining to see people on Era actually doubt that an original MH would ever come to Switch. It's not announced yet, of course, but after seeing that message from Ichinose, it's an inevitability.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This is kind of baffling. Do you mean the arts from the Generations games?

I've played many a monster hunter and World is probably the most satisfying feeling one I've ever played. Just having full control with a controller is a step up, but I'm just so confused as to what you mean by sluggish movement and lack of polish when it comes to combat.

I've got an issue or two with World, such as monster variety and some of the level design, but I've never considered combat to be one of the issues.
There have definitely been changes to player acceleration in world, which could cause some feelings of sluggishness. Max player speed and weapon moveset changes mostly alleviate the issue for me, but I can see it bothering some people. Combat is my main concern with world as well, but it's mostly monster AI deficiencies. Previously I always felt like the monsters were designed with the weapon movesets in mind. Sure some were better examples of this than others, but in almost all cases in world I just feel like they dropped the ball in keeping this design philosophy in mind. I used to feel like I was always 1 step ahead of monsters when charging an attack with GS, but now it's often a better option to just charge the weapon and hope the monster walks into it. Same for CB. When you SAED, you are praying the monster doesn't move for many of the openings. The openings where it's truely a guaranteed punish are few and far between and AED is so pathetically weak in this game that it's not really a comparable alternative in the majority of situations. Some weapons feel like they were changed enough to perform well in this environment (like hammer for example), but I just wish they did a better job across the board here. I love pretty much every QoL change in world, but I'd like to see some an AI overhaul in Iceborne to address my complaints.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if Switch can or can't run MHW natively, it can stream it in the franchise's biggest national market. Just like it streams BH7 or PSO2 there.

Switch isn't going to get MHW in any form though for the same reason Xbox One didn't get it in Asia. Xbox One also isn't getting Iceborne in Asia and it's not exactly a mystery why.

I still believe Switch could technically run world or at the very least an optimized version COULD be built

They are just opting for what is arguably an easier and more lucrative option by making a separate game built ground up for switch.

And everyone seems fine with that as long as it carries all the 5th gen upgrades (it most likely will)

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The MHW flagship monster is the worst of the bunch. Most of the monsters introduced in MHW are piss poor actually. Definitely something to improve in the next game.

Brachydios punches all those monster in the FACE.

Lol. People still crying in their cereal over Monster Hunter World, huh? Capcom's best selling game of all time.

I mean who cares about loading zones to be honest with you it's not like world was any really different. pworld had no loading zones but you never fought the monsters in the corridors.

So here we have someone arguing for loading screens.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Which old MH difficulty are you talking about? People have been asking for "old MH difficulty" since the 3rd generation came out.

Even 4U was way more challenging and rewarding than World, I literally got bored while fighting a new monster in World which shouldn't have happened.

The AI in World is way to passive and slow, and the player movement is just too overpowered, like being able to drink and run at the same time is just cheating.

I can understand this, but at the same time, the endgame is almost all that really matters, so I don't really care if low rank and most of high rank are easier than they are in past games.

Don't all the veterans just blitz through it as fast as possible? I know I do.

The Monster Hunter experience is more than just the end game, I really enjoy play through the campaign in previous titles, each new monster is a new challenge and beating them for the first time almost always feels rewarding.

In MH:W I feel like I'm playing a baby mode, where monsters would literally attack in random direction (I don't even have cats with me) and almost miss me intentionally.

MH:W is the least fun I've had with the series, It almost feels like you are the only one who wants to fight in that universe, the monsters are just there to be your punching bag.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I still believe Switch could technically run world or at the very least an optimized version COULD be built

They are just opting for what is arguably an easier and more lucrative option by making a separate game built ground up for switch.

And everyone seems fine with that as long as it carries all the 5th gen upgrades (it most likely will)
I think it might be doable with some smart optimization, rebaked shading and asset pruning but I don't see Capcom going through the trouble if they can't release it in Japan. It's an incredibly difficult at best port, if possible at all, that's also locked out of the market they'd gain the most from and that's why it won't happen. And also why letting Ichinose do his own spin on Gen 5 for Switch makes more sense.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
There have definitely been changes to player acceleration in world, which could cause some feelings of sluggishness. Max player speed and weapon moveset changes mostly alleviate the issue for me, but I can see it bothering some people. Combat is my main concern with world as well, but it's mostly monster AI deficiencies. Previously I always felt like the monsters were designed with the weapon movesets in mind. Sure some were better examples of this than others, but in almost all cases in world I just feel like they dropped the ball in keeping this design philosophy in mind. I used to feel like I was always 1 step ahead of monsters when charging an attack with GS, but now it's often a better option to just charge the weapon and hope the monster walks into it. Same for CB. When you SAED, you are praying the monster doesn't move for many of the openings. The openings where it's truely a guaranteed punish are few and far between and AED is so pathetically weak in this game that it's not really a comparable alternative in the majority of situations. Some weapons feel like they were changed enough to perform well in this environment (like hammer for example), but I just wish they did a better job across the board here. I love pretty much every QoL change in world, but I'd like to see some an AI overhaul in Iceborne to address my complaints.

I primarily use Hammer and bowguns, so that's probably why I don't feel it! Anyway, this is a pretty good explanation, I can buy it. I can personally attest to the monster AI changes, though. I've felt that one for real.

I guess I was just initially shocked because it's the first major criticism of MHW's actual weapon/movement feel I've seen.

Most of my problems with world have been monster design and variety, for sure. I really love MHW and QoL changes make it hard to go back to the classic games for me, but I can't say it's my favorite one in the series.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It was entertaining to see people on Era actually doubt that an original MH would ever come to Switch. It's not announced yet, of course, but after seeing that message from Ichinose, it's an inevitability.

Yea. The contortions required to argue Monster Hunter wouldn't come to the portable system in Japan selling well domestically and selling on par with PS4 worldwide has been something to watch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
"Porting MH World was never an option because of the Sony cross promotion deal"

This is literally exactly what you posted

Regardless I agree with you on the other assertion. All signs are pointing to a ground up 5th gen game as opposed to porting world

Just saying that's my interpretation of business deals. This isn't about wrong or right but I don't think Capcom would have made this kind of agreement if they had any plans on bringing MHW to Switch - because how it would have limited their interaction with Nintendo.
Funny thing is that Capcom pretty much said in 2017 that it take time to develop Switch titles and people just ignored that statement when PS4/XBO had to wait 4 years for their first MH game.

On Switch Capcom provided XX HD to have something on there while they finish up the next Switch title.

Switch is still a relatively young system all things considered. Capcom like many other just didn't expect the Switch sales to be this high before a revision or a price drop, which probably resulted in a bit more pressure to have something big ready for the Switch.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. The contortions required to argue Monster Hunter wouldn't come to the portable system in Japan selling well domestically and selling on par with PS4 worldwide has been something to watch.

How about we rejoice that MH is everywhere and not trapped on 3DS because of shitty armchair economics arguments

Clearly the Series is meant to be on everything and MHW is proof

Thankfully this doesnt mean that portable is over by any means (hell we got an XX port pretty fast)

I dont know why we need to keep splitting the community when we are trending to greener pastures

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
"Even" 4U? Yeah, you might have a skewed idea of difficulty. Generations and 3 Ultimate were both far easier than 4 Ultimate.
4U difficulty isn't much different from like 3U/GU. when you start getting in to like 140s it's a different story though, though GU has ex deviants as well.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You know, I'm not a veteran, I started out with World. I liked it so much that I ended up buying a 3DS and later a Switch only to get more MH in my life.

Ended up playing another 350 hours between 4U, Generations and GU. 4U is probably my favorite.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the LOL YOU LIKE WORLD CASUAL BRAINDEAD BABY MH LOL people because they almost put me off from trying the rest of the games.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
How about we rejoice that MH is everywhere and not trapped on 3DS because of shitty armchair economics arguments

Clearly the Series is meant to be on everything and MHW is proof

Thankfully this doesnt mean that portable is over by any means (hell we got an XX port pretty fast)

I dont know why we need to keep splitting the community when we are trending to greener pastures

I'm not sure if this is addressed specifically to me, but I was advocating for PS4/Switch for the series going forward months before World was unveiled.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Until it's annouced I'm not leaving my stance. With Capcom's trash Switch support seeing is believing for me. Worst comes to worst, I'm wrong. It happens.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is addressed specifically to me, but I was advocating for PS4/Switch for the series going forward months before World was unveiled.

It wasnt just making a general thread statement

You know, I'm not a veteran, I started out with World. I liked it so much that I ended up buying a 3DS and later a Switch only to get more MH in my life.

Ended up playing another 350 hours between 4U, Generations and GU. 4U is probably my favorite.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the LOL YOU LIKE WORLD CASUAL BRAINDEAD BABY MH LOL people because they almost put me off from trying the rest of the games.

Preach!

The toxicity needs to had a lid put on it