• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
You're confused now? They made it easier than it was before with a patch.
Could be playing an old version or Xbox One which doesn't have the new patch yet. However, the patch didn't turn Haunted Manor into easy mode so it's still a challenge ;)

Thank you very much and thanks for Monster Boy!
No problem, you're welcome!

I had assumed that the rod portal was a one way trip. My bad for being inattentive.That's true for the unapgraded version, right?
The rod portal is a two-way even without any upgrades, it's just not specifically explained in the game and more or less a secret feature ;)

Also sorry if my tone came off badly. Getting blown out by the boss the umpteenth time in the row go to me.
The tone was fine - I'm also playing lots of games and we all know that playing games is with heart and soul and anger and celebration! :)

Last edited:

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Developer Update #2
7 MAR @ 1:28PM - FDG ENTERTAINMENT
Hello Everyone,
while we work on the PC version and the Steam release, we wanted to give you another update today: We'll launch a free demo of the game first!

We hope that many players will try it on their machine and give feedback so we understand how well it runs on various configurations. We want to make sure that the game runs fine for a big audience before wrapping up the full release. There's only a certain amount of configurations we can test ourselves and we hope to get even more results after the demo release.

In return for your cooperation and support while testing the demo, we're going to set a lower purchase price for the PC release compared to consoles. Please look forward to the release of the demo and stay tuned for more Developer Updates in the future. <3

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/449610/announcements/detail/1814293739845552438

Demo coming for PC users as a kind of "beta" to help development on the Steam release - and a lower discounted price for the game!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have been playing this game lately, and is amazing, I don't get why people complained so much with the Volcano dungeon, is harder than the rest, but isn't obtuse or impossible at all

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
PC version for GOG and Steam....no epic game stores nonsense. Considering double dipping and playing through again on the PC when it releases...brilliant game :)

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having troubles in the cemetary dungeon, I find the skeletons to hard to beat since they take too many hits to kill. Any optimal build?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-9.52.39-pm.png

I don't know how to reach 2 of the 3 gray rooms that appear on this map of the volcano

I already reached the one in the right (the mine field, which must be the only puzzle so far that I found terrible thanks to how much trial and error required) but I don't know how to get into the one that is on the left of the main corridor, and the one which is at the far left above that save point

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-9.52.39-pm.png

I don't know how to reach 2 of the 3 gray rooms that appear on this map of the volcano

I already reached the one in the right (the mine field, which must be the only puzzle so far that I found terrible thanks to how much trial and error required) but I don't know how to get into the one that is on the left of the main corridor, and the one which is at the far left above that save point
Right off the bat, I see a lone door in the large room just to left of that middle secret room. Might be the entrance you're looking for, if there's no line connecting a door to another door/room then it means you haven't been through it yet.

I don't remember the left-most secret room's deal. Since it's entirely enclosed on the map seems like you'll need a door to get in there. I also see that lone question mark in the long hallway on the middle-right of the main corridor. Try searching the walls on the left-most side of the fallen ceiling to reach the mark.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I don't mind minor map spoilers so I guess I will ask...

I reached the Sky Aeria part after the sinking pirate ship.. why is my map still at aprox. 50% completion??

are there really still like 4 or 5 areas to explore?? the game has been awesome but I suspect it's about to enter "let's bloat this game to appease reviewers" mode.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right off the bat, I see a lone door in the large room just to left of that middle secret room. Might be the entrance you're looking for, if there's no line connecting a door to another door/room then it means you haven't been through it yet.

I don't remember the left-most secret room's deal. Since it's entirely enclosed on the map seems like you'll need a door to get in there. I also see that lone question mark in the long hallway on the middle-right of the main corridor. Try searching the walls on the left-most side of the fallen ceiling to reach the mark.

That place is filled with Lava and I cant return

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind minor map spoilers so I guess I will ask...

I reached the Sky Aeria part after the sinking pirate ship.. why is my map still at aprox. 50% completion??

are there really still like 4 or 5 areas to explore?? the game has been awesome but I suspect it's about to enter "let's bloat this game to appease reviewers" mode.
There are about 4 major areas left to visit, plus finding secrets. Some people have made that type of criticism with a dungeon or two but they are still great dungeons, just daunting.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
I beat game recently and I liked it a lot: level design is very good, art too. I like this kind of environmental puzzles.

But enemies are pretty bad. They are annoying. It's not interesting to fight them. They can go offscreen and fly INSIDE level geometry and attack from there. Too often you need to wait flying enemies to attack you. Reverse controls, slow spells are just annoying too.

I hope developers make much better job in Monster Boy 2 (girl?).

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I just platinumed this game.
It took me 17 hours, spread out through less than 5 days.

This game was an absolute blast to play.
Loved the music, loved the graphics and those puzzles are really right!
There was never a boring moment in my 17 hours of playing this. It was addictive as heck!

My only complaint is that having a prior knowledge that it used to be Flying Hamster 2 had me constantly noticing details that should've been changed to fit Wonderboy better... for example, there are animal sculptures all over the place and almost no human ones. That would've made more sense if the inhabitants of Monster World have always been animals instead of humans.

Otherwise, I can't love this game enough - I'm going to try Dragon's Trap next. :)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would've made more sense if the inhabitants of Monster World have always been animals instead of humans.

Throughout the monster world series, there are. In every Wonder Boy game, you run into animal inhabitants. It seems that in monster world, humans are only a tiny portion of the total population. In Wonder Boy in Monster World, for example, you see that the world is split up into tribes, there are towns full of angels, dragons, ghosts, etc. All as "good guys," not the villains. In fact, the ending to Wonder Boy in Monster World explains that the so called monster world, the place where monsters live, is it's own kingdom and is supposed to be peaceful as well, but it's Biomeka that has been causing the monster kingdom to attack the world.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Otherwise, I can't love this game enough - I'm going to try Dragon's Trap next. :)

Just to clarify my above post, literally all the NPCs in Dragon's Traps are animals. Although, in the Game Gear port, many of them were changed to Angels.

SNpWj9g.jpg

1339111025625.png

In Wonder Boy in Monster World, the very first town you run into is the Angel town of Alsedo. The human town, Purapril, is initially locked to the rest of the world and you don't get access to it until you find their Princess.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Throughout the monster world series, there are. In every Wonder Boy game, you run into animal inhabitants. It seems that in monster world, humans are only a tiny portion of the total population. In Wonder Boy in Monster World, for example, you see that the world is split up into tribes, there are towns full of angels, dragons, ghosts, etc. All as "good guys," not the villains. In fact, the ending to Wonder Boy in Monster World explains that the so called monster world, the place where monsters live, is it's own kingdom and is supposed to be peaceful as well, but it's Biomeka that has been causing the monster kingdom to attack the world.
Thanks for the clarification.
I never fully completed any of the previous Wonderboy games so any lore disclosed at the end of the games are unknown to me.
Guess I need to play them all. :)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this on Steam.

Is there anything I should be aware of before diving in? Like difficulty setting or game mode?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so cheap in México and it's so tempting. I'm going to download the demo to try it in my crappy laptop, otherwise I will wait for a sale on the eShop.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Just finish it (~21h/95%), what a incredible game. Such a good mix of platforming, exploration, puzzles and combat.

Pacing was great with new abilities and different gameplay challenges thrown at you constantly, time just flew by.

The presentation is gorgeous with a lot of variety. The music really fits too.

There was only a small annoyance with the way Frog controls underwater, like turning upside down, it's visually awkward and the controls didn't felt as tight as they should. But it's a really minor thing, it just stood out because of how well the game is designed as a whole.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this during the sale and i'm having a lot of fun with it. If i had known it was this good, it would have bought it at full price. It also shows that releasing a demo can sell a good game. Once i realised there was a demo on PSN, i checked it out, enjoyed it a lot and bought it immediately after.

The game has a lot of content, it's well made, it looks nice and the gameplay is fun. I'm currently at about 50% of the map.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for this developer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59

Bought this to play over christmas, and loving it.

Currently unlocked the frog form and going round getting collectibles I can reach with his powers. In the starting area there are underwater bombs/mines, any idea how to trigger these? I saw a YT video where someone just prods them and the countdown starts, but every time I touch them they go off immediately and kill me.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing this on Switch, I was enjoying it a lot until around the volcano area. I think I´m at the last dungeon but the game has become quite a slog to play and I´m struggling a bit to finish it.
To make matters worse I now am required to farm a ton of gold to forge the golden items, completely killing a pace that was already crawling.
It´s a pity because up until there the game was fantastic.

My main gripe is in how sometimes it doesn´t seem to value the player´s time, like in that underwater puzzle where you need to use the frog´s tongue to grab the hooks, but if you get 1 pixel onto a water current you´re taken back to the beginning of the challenge at once. And the challenge is designed in a way that in some parts you have to move veeery slowly because the space to get through is almost pixel-perfect. There are quite some other puzzles/challenges like this one, where the way to succeed is to go as slow as you possibly can. In a game where you can
dash as a lion breaking walls, then jump and switch to a frog to swing on a hook with your tongue and change into a dragon to continue flying
, creating challenges where the player has to move slow and gets pushed to the start of the challenge on any mistake only makes them even more boring and frustrating than they would normally be. Once I got 2 or 3 of these challenges, or of those with "clunky" solutions
like the metal ball in the mansion
I lost my trust in the game. I died a fuckton of times playing Tropical Freeze, but I never stopped having fun and trying because when I died it was my fault. I learnt to trust the game and to see the clues it was always giving me, in the shape of background elements, enemy behaviours, collectibles placing...and when I did so I played better than ever. But in this game it feels like that trust starts being eroded around he volcano area and goes downhill from there, to the point that now instead of trying to completely understand and solve every challenge in the intended way I just plow through them because it works a lot of times and I may be saving myself from another frustrating event. I´ve also started to look up solutions online instead of trying to solve stuff for the main reasons.

Something that started as a minor gripe but has become more important during the playthrough, to the point of impacting how I played, is how slow menus are. Whenever you change any of your gear you need to wait a second or so for the new gear to load and appear on your character. Sometimes you can use your gear to turn a dangerous challenge into a situation that may even end up healing you, but in the end the mere thought of having to open the menu, navigate to the desired page, selecting the gear, waiting for it to load and then coming back, just made me rush through the challenge, eat some damage and just leave it behind me. If switching gear was such an important element of the design, it should´ve been made much more accessible.

My post may read more negative than it really is, because there are many amazing things in this game, but at the point where I´m now I just want it to end. I think that with a little more time in the oven to polish these things this game would´ve been absolutely awesome.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game 99% entirely blind. Very last secret in first town I had to check guide because it baffled me for hours.
Excellent game. Excellent platformer. Pretty damn challenging (which is lacking in almost every game now).

I think my overall experience from start to finish was more fun than Hollow Knight, because that game lacked puzzles and platforming challenges.
It was mostly a slash fest.

Although Hollow Knight nailed the "true" final boss. Best finale in any Metroidvania.
The one in Monster Boy lacked something.

Not sure why people were complaining about game being too long.
I thought it was perfect like La-Mulana was.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
any way to turn off the free health easy mode? the thing kicks in after only 2 deaths from a boss.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought the game on sale because I wanted to give it another shot since I think I was too quick to give up on such an acclaimed game and now I want to know how long I have to be in this pig form because it really sucks.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Started this on Stadia and I can't get pass the section early on with the Pig that you need to go west into the misty forest or something...am I suppose to be there with the Pig or can I switch back...? I am surprised its this hard so early...there is a teleport in the town that I can go into but nothing happens...there is a cloud that drops fire non stop,that makes you confused and you like have to press right to go left,flames roll on the ground,snakes,a boxing glove trap that flings me in the air,I only have 3 hearts etc etc...

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Started this on Stadia and I can't get pass the section early on with the Pig that you need to go west into the misty forest or something...am I suppose to be there with the Pig or can I switch back...? I am surprised its this hard so early...there is a teleport in the town that I can go into but nothing happens...there is a cloud that drops fire non stop,that makes you confused and you like have to press right to go left,flames roll on the ground,snakes,a boxing glove trap that flings me in the air,I only have 3 hearts etc etc...
Being a curse and all, the Pig form is a bit of a handicap until you get a better one. You're basically meant to run away from some encounters because he's ill fit to deal with them until he gets better magic. And yes, you're meant to travel west into the forest. I think the first Heart Piece you can find is the in the screen just above where you rescue Pepelogoo.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance I'll like this game if I wasn't a fan of the recent Wonder Boy remake? I didn't find it fun to explore, and it was a little too difficult for me. I liked the art and music.