• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
If I just finished the prison stealth section, how far in the game am I and how much do I have left?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good tricks for farming gold?

Also similar question to previous post... How far am I if I just unlocked the tower in the village?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Encountered this bug. But FDG replied in mere seconds on Twitter. Now that's customer support!

And since I've been going back and forth between this and Dragon's Trap I was about to comment on the wheel menu being tedious for switching between characters/items but just figured out how to turn it off in the options. Silly me.

What an amazing game! Wonder when the next patch is due...

I've seen that glitch used in a speed run near the end of the game.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the temple and got the lion transformation last night. The part afterwards where you're trying to get the upgrade gem by touching all 5 of the sparkling lights with the waterfalls was annoying as all hell though.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Just finished the temple and got the lion transformation last night. The part afterwards where you're trying to get the upgrade gem by touching all 5 of the sparkling lights with the waterfalls was annoying as all hell though.
It's a miracle you got them without the
upgraded wizard boots :)

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a miracle you got them without the
upgraded wizard boots :)

On my 1st playthrough I did it the hard way (even without the boots)...took a while I can tell you that. Just getting the timing of the jumps right combined with the restrictive time limit to do it in had me almost pulling my hair out

On my 2nd playthrough though, I just skipped it and came back as dragon form when I unlocked it and simply flew around to collect them all on first attempt :)

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
On my 1st playthrough I did it the hard way (even without the boots)...took a while I can tell you that. Just getting the timing of the jumps right combined with the restrictive time limit to do it in had me almost pulling my hair out

On my 2nd playthrough though, I just skipped it and came back as dragon form when I unlocked it and simply flew around to collect them all on first attempt :)
I honestly thought we made it impossible to solve without the right equipment or dragon (low time limit to signal the player he might need something else) but here we are with players hardcore solving it with Pro skills. Congratulations you really deserved this upgrade crystal early ^_^

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the final boss on switch and the screen went black and stayed black for several minutes before I quit out of the game. Now to beat the boss again.

EDIT: I beat it again, without using a potion this time. Thank you to everyone who made this. Now I'll start watching some speedruns of it.

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I beat the final boss on switch and the screen went black and stayed black for several minutes before I quit out of the game. Now to beat the boss again.

EDIT: I beat it again, without using a potion this time. Thank you to everyone who made this. Now I'll start watching some speedruns of it.
Congratulations and sorry about the bad freeze! We've heard of occasional black screens instead of loading the video so we improved the videoplayer loading: a new patch is currently in the works and we also include multi saveslots for Switch. Coming soon!

krealian

Oct 25, 2017
While we're on the topic of bugs I also experienced one recently where I swallowed a jump block in frog form and somehow landed halfway in the floor when I spit it out. This was in the stealth section of the castle. After this I died because I changed forms but luckily the block position was saved. So thanks to the dev team for having such a situation in mind :)

This happened in the Switch version, by the way.

Will write some of my impressions once I'm done with the game. I can already say it's amazing, though!

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just done with the volcano area and I feel like the game is losing steam a bit. The amount of puzzles is slowing the game down a tad too much. That said, up until this point the game was ace and I'm enjoying the challenge.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought we made it impossible to solve without the right equipment or dragon (low time limit to signal the player he might need something else) but here we are with players hardcore solving it with Pro skills. Congratulations you really deserved this upgrade crystal early ^_^

I think you probably needed to make one impossible to reach to drive the point home. Since I could reach every one of them I figured I could get all of them in the time limit.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think you probably needed to make one impossible to reach to drive the point home. Since I could reach every one of them I figured I could get all of them in the time limit.

That was my exact line of thinking as well. I did not think it odd to find an ultra-difficult collectible at this stage of the game at all...in saying that though, if I would have worked out I could have made it easier on myself first time around, I wouldn't have banged my head against it for as long as I did :D

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
While we're on the topic of bugs I also experienced one recently where I swallowed a jump block in frog form and somehow landed halfway in the floor when I spit it out. This was in the stealth section of the castle. After this I died because I changed forms but luckily the block position was saved. So thanks to the dev team for having such a situation in mind :)

This happened in the Switch version, by the way.

Will write some of my impressions once I'm done with the game. I can already say it's amazing, though!
Thank you for playing Monster Boy! I think the bug you mentioned is related to the collision when spitting out the block nearby a wall and it overlaps with the sprite. We'll need to optimize the collision a bit more.

That's right but I usually try to do have soft blocks for things that are optional and don't break anything when unlocked early. I love to be surprised by skilled players! :)

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be sure I'm not crazy... There's no ways to jump down through small platforms right?

I feel this is kind of a staple of any 2d platforming games and it feels a bit weird without it...

suffah

Oct 29, 2017
solved

Amazing game. Look forward to a sequel.

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this last night. 25 hours to get 100%. I did use a guide to figure out the solution to a few of the question marks I still had on my map at the end of the game and the corked well (which was really obtuse).
Great graphics, music and controls (for the most part). I don't know if it's a Switch only issue, but a few times I'd be aiming down with the lion, I would go off to the side. This made the area with bombs frustrating. I don't have a Pro controller so that might have solved that.
+The Haunted Mansion was very cool.
+I liked how nearly every time I thought there would be a secret on screen there probably was.
+Swinging withe the frog, charging with the lion and dash warping with the human form feel really nice mechanically.
+The rim lighting on your character near torches was a cool visual touch.
?The npc in town standing on the roof in the distance was intriguing, I was hoping there would have been some interaction.
-The Nabu fight was the worst boss. The music and mechanics felt like something Rare would make. Not a big deal, I just wasn't a fan.
-The last area is a bit of a slog and not much fun visually or enemy wise.
-The radial menu's are finicky and early on I kept morphing into a form I wasn't trying to or using the wrong pig power.
-2 bugs. In the 2nd to last boss fight, the game stopped and I was kicked to the Switch menu. After the Haunted mansion boss fight the noise of it's defeat kept going for a few minutes.
-The time spent as the pig and the Volcano section went on a bit too long for me. I don't enjoy lava in games.

Some things I'd like to see if there's a sequel-
-An art gallery, NPC list w/ bio's and a bestiary.
-Minigames. Fishing or spear/ tongue fishing with the frog. Break targets either with the lions charge, or from a distance with the dragon (like archery).
-More humor and fleshed out NPC's like in Zelda or Okami. Give the blacksmith's and shop keepers some personality and some movement.

=Overall I had a lot of fun and can't wait to see what the team does next. I'd give it a 9 out of 10

Apr 24, 2018
I finally started the game this weekend (technically, Friday) and have gotten to the second race segment. I was having an absolute blast until the Volcano level. The controls there became just a bit too finicky and the physics/timing with certain things were just a bit too wonky for my liking. I started looking some things up at this point, too. Going into this area with just six hearts probably didn't help matters any, either.

I've enjoyed the section afterward a bit (which I'm still on), but the game definitely feels like it's hit a bit of a lull for me. I think I saw a post a few pages ago that indicated that I'm roughly 2/3 through the game now. I'm hoping that I'll enjoy the end of the game as much as the first several hours.

EDIT: All that being said, it's still been a great experience overall, and kudos to FDG and Thomas Kern for the success!

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Hi Everyone, thanks a lot for your feedback! It's always great to hear back from the community either in form of positive reactions but also constructive criticism. Since our early development days, the feedback from the community carried us to the point where we are now with a great game that couldn't be possible without your support so thanks again! ^_^

Overall we're really happy but we're going to make a couple slight changes in our upcoming update to accommodate the feedback of players who faced some trouble in the game:

- The heart container in the sewers will only require to find 3 sniff locations instead of 4. This increases the chance that players will have 4 hearts when they head towards misty woods.
- After finding the third magic (and unlocking the ring menu), we inform the player to be able to switch it off. Some players never found the option and didn't like the ring menu. They preferred to keep playing without interruptions for switching forms/magic.
- We add a hint in the Volcano that reminds the player of being able to use the teleport staff to get out. Many players reported they didn't know or forgot to use it (and got the ice armor very late). Needless to say that the Volcano is much harder without the ice gear.
- We add 3 'point of interest' markers on the auto-map when the player enters Haunted House. This will help guide the player a little bit.
- The golden armor set bonus gets a little update: attack power increase will be the same but damage received factor will be reduced so it's an overall better upgrade

Besides that we're also going to fix many more bugs/glitches that got reported until today and we add multi saveslots on Switch (10 per user).
BTW: We noticed that some PS4/Xbox players had trouble with the timing/controls in the Volcano and they fixed it by using 'Game Mode' setting on the TV. It reduces the lag tremendously. As for Switch: Handheld mode has no lag by default.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thomas Kern one change that should be added is:

Giving people a chance to pick up the stuff after beating Masquerade Carp. Kinda sucks that you zoom away leaving stuff behind.

It would also be great if there was a boss gauntlet that let you fight one after the other.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the haunted manor might be a bit too long for its own good. It's well designed, but maybe because I'm so tired when I get a chance to actually sit down and play, I'm struggling to keep things straight especially when there seem to be so many things inaccessible to me until later, and I have no idea what upgrades I need.

Oh god this boss is obnoxious. I get that the whole manor is a Castlevania throwback, but did they really need to keep the scythes /and/ make us use the right stick? And then finish it off with a bullet hell boss? It's just one gimmick too many for me.

Edit: okay that boss was a lot easier once I realized that the dragon's fireballs are effective.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all,

I'm at the final boss. I'm just curious if there's any post game extended content in terms of challenge... or is this it? I think if the final boss is IT, then I will probably go around and gather up all the gold stuff and try to get as close as I feel I can get to 100% before I finish the game.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Once you beat the final boss and watch the credits, when you next reload, you're right back outside the boss room. Though the final bit of the map will be filled in. There's no post-game. You may continue to explore and grab up anything else you may have missed. If you beat the game truly at 100%, you will get a bonus scene after the ending, however.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I finally got around to playing this over the last few days, since Smash Ultimate was taking my time since it released.

It's a really great game, although some of the enemy placements are a bit annoying and the Haunted Mansion was a bit obnoxious. I must have died like 100 times trying to hit the treasure chest with 100 fire balls in the graveyard. Way too many annoying skeleton enemies.

I'm in the final area now, and just cleaning up some low hanging fruit collectables before I go ahead and beat the game.

There have been a few minor bugs along the way, nothing too annoying other than a pretty bad glitch in the dark section of the temple. My last save was touching the chest in the Snake room a few rooms over, and if I died in the dark room, when I respawned, my screen would be black and I'd have to reset the game to fix it.

Another annoying thing is with vertical screen changes, a lot of the time, I'll jump up, and then the next screen loads and then I instantly fall back down, requiring me to load the last room again. This seems to happen most when I'm at the apex of a double jump when I hit the room barrier.

Last edited:

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. 20:48:30 with 100% completion, 42 Elixirs, 126 Deaths lol

It was a great time despite some frustrating platforming moments.

I did have to beat the final boss twice because the ending movie wouldn't load the first time. I'm on Switch.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Quick question. I am playing this right now, having a blast so far. How do I quick change through the characters and spells? Every since I got more than two of each I end up in the menu where I have to pick one. Playing on Switch. Thanks for the help!

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Quick question. I am playing this right now, having a blast so far. How do I quick change through the characters and spells? Every since I got more than two of each I end up in the menu where I have to pick one. Playing on Switch. Thanks for the help!
Hi there, thanks for playing! You can switch off the Ring Menu in the ingame options.

Hexagon

Oct 27, 2017
British Columbia
A lot of small things in this game really needled me, like enemies reversing your controls, enemies respawning quickly, and that dang haunted mansion, but it was all worth it for this song:

This song is just too happy and I love it.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
A lot of small things in this game really needled me, like enemies reversing your controls, enemies respawning quickly, and that dang haunted mansion, but it was all worth it for this song:

This song is just too happy and I love it.

Haha thank you!
BTW: I noticed that many players never tried the green potion vs. reversing control. It works! ;)

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Hi there, thanks for playing! You can switch off the Ring Menu in the ingame options.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I just beat the game (started 6 days ago). What an awesome game! Loved every second I spent playing it. I really like how the difficulty increases throughout the game. Moreover, the music and graphics are just on point and I love(!!) the bossfights. Furthermore, I totally appreciate how you pay tribute to older Monster Boy/Wonder Boy games (I'm looking at you Ocarina (b a b a b c b :))) ). If I had to rate the game I would give it a 10 out of 10. To me, this game is flawless. One of the best 15hours I've spent on my Switch so far, thank you, thank you, thank you! I am even considering importing the retail version since there is none in Germany.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the quick reply!

I just beat the game (started 6 days ago). What an awesome game! Loved every second I spent playing it. I really like how the difficulty increases throughout the game. Moreover, the music and graphics are just on point and I love(!!) the bossfights. Furthermore, I totally appreciate how you pay tribute to older Monster Boy/Wonder Boy games (I'm looking at you Ocarina (b a b a b c b :))) ). If I had to rate the game I would give it a 10 out of 10. To me, this game is flawless. One of the best 15hours I've spent on my Switch so far, thank you, thank you, thank you! I am even considering importing the retail version since there is none in Germany.
Thank you very much and congratulations on beating the game! <3

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Version 1.0.4 is now available on Nintendo Switch! Changelog:
- Multi Saveslots
- Flashing Light Reduction Option
- Haunted Manor map update to include 3 points of interests hints
- Over 100 bug fixes reported since december, thank you for your reports!
- fixed some balancing issues

PS4 and Xbox One Updates in the works.

Edit: PS4 EU / USA Update now available

Last edited:

Swift

Feb 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

Glad to see everyone enjoying the game as much as I did. I managed to do everything in the game but I'm still stumped. I have 98.5% completion after the credits and 99.9% map completion. I compared it to the full map posted in here and I can't quite figure out what I'm missing to get my platinum trophy. And yes I fought the boss a 2nd time at 99.9% and did not get the trophy.

If anyone can lend a hand I'd love to get my last trophy for this game. Thank you! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hello everyone,

Glad to see everyone enjoying the game as much as I did. I managed to do everything in the game but I'm still stumped. I have 98.5% completion after the credits and 99.9% map completion. I compared it to the full map posted in here and I can't quite figure out what I'm missing to get my platinum trophy. And yes I fought the boss a 2nd time at 99.9% and did not get the trophy.

If anyone can lend a hand I'd love to get my last trophy for this game. Thank you! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...pepelogoo-in-wonder-world.84731/post-16484064

My post explains the answer and links to a previous post that shows the map part you're missing.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Holy crap that was it, thank you so much!
Almost all doors on the map shows a line leading to either another door or an item in another room except for two spots, the two doors in the final area that connect to each other but the map doesn't show a line and the door in the Mansion to the left of the entrance that connects to an item doesn't show a line. Thomas Kern those two things should be fixed on the map.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was really cool of the devs:

Developer Update #1
21 FEB @ 1:46PM - FDG ENTERTAINMENT
Hello Everyone,
thank you very much for your interest in Monster Boy and for adding it to your wishlist! <3 We're currently finishing our 1.0.4 patches on consoles and the PC version will be based on that with all the fixes and updates + PC exclusive ultra widescreen support. We need a bit more time which is the reason that we changed from Q1 to 2019 but we're working on it and there's no artificial delay. Also please don't worry, the game won't disappear from Steam Store, we haven't signed any exclusivity.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/449610/announcements/detail/1773760074708142923

So the PC version is being worked on, will be the latest, definitive version, there's no artificial delay and the game's sticking to Steam.

Overwhelmingly positive responses on Steam to this too. I eagerly await Developer Updates #2, #3 and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished this game tonight and I though it was pretty incredible. It stands shoulder to shoulder with any of my favorite metroidvanias of the last several years. It seems like people should be talking about it more!

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to note a bug I encountered when I started a new save file after completing the game. I started with max heart containers instead of 3. I then started another new game and my health was correct at 3 hearts.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Am I missing a shop with a health potion near the Undead Wizard Boss fight?

The game had given me an opportunity for one before nearly every previous boss fight, but I am supposed to go through all three phases of this guy, whose first phase alone is probably harder than any previous boss five times over, in one go with no back up health?

The fuck is this difficulty spike?!

I do seem to have less hearts than the players in some of the YouTube videos, so maybe I am "underleveled" in a way. Also I have been shooting fireballs instead of the flamethrower and I don't know if I'm doing less damage per second this way.

The game is pretty incredible btw.

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Just wanted to note a bug I encountered when I started a new save file after completing the game. I started with max heart containers instead of 3. I then started another new game and my health was correct at 3 hearts.

Thank you for the report, we'll look into it!

Am I missing a shop with a health potion near the Undead Wizard Boss fight?

The game had given me an opportunity for one before nearly every previous boss fight, but I am supposed to go through all three phases of this guy, whose first phase alone is probably harder than any previous boss five times over, in one go with no back up health?

The fuck is this difficulty spike?!

I do seem to have less hearts than the players in some of the YouTube videos, so maybe I am "underleveled" in a way. Also I have been shooting fireballs instead of the flamethrower and I don't know if I'm doing less damage per second this way.

The game is pretty incredible btw.

At this point in the game you can
use your teleport rod to warp back to town and restock your potion. The mobile portal stays open so you can return from where you left through the portal in the town.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
You're about 2/3 of the way through. You are close to the Haunted Manor section which may depending on how good you are at solving obtuse puzzles take you a while to get through.

Funny I've just hit that haunted section yesteday, i'm so confuse so far....decide to drop it and came back later...that game is pretty challenging in term of puzzle it reming me a little of alundra.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thank you for the report, we'll look into it!

At this point in the game you can
use your teleport rod to warp back to town and restock your potion. The mobile portal stays open so you can return from where you left through the portal in the town.
Thank you very much and thanks for Monster Boy!

I had assumed that the rod portal was a one way trip. My bad for being inattentive.That's true for the unapgraded version, right?

Also sorry if my tone came off badly. Getting blown out by the boss the umpteenth time in the row go to me.