• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Caved and got this the other day. Really enjoying it so far.

Combat can be frustrating though, landing hits without taking damage at the same time (as the pig especially, I don't have fancy poking instruments yet). I feel like the game could use better invuln windows or enemy knockbacks like in WB3, which I feel controls better.

Also I have the old WB habit of pressing Up absolutely everywhere looking for hidden doors but so far it has not been rewarded more than once or twice, so I wish to complain about that too. ;P

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Having to sniff out secrets with the pig nose mechanic has pretty much replaced actual invisible doors.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 4-5 hours in - just finished Crystal Caves - and here are some random thoughts

- Art is extremely polished and cute. I love the pig form to death. I wish the other forms had as much personality.
- I'm playing the Switch version and wish it were in full 4K so there wouldn't be any fuzziness at all.
- This is me being a bit of a pedant, but it's not as metroidvania/interconnected as I expected. It's more like Zelda as a platformer; I imagine Zelda II (which I haven't played) probably has a more similar structure than, say, Super Metroid or SotN. I don't mind, but it's not 100% what I expected going in.
- The controls are tight, but I feel like there's *something* off about collision when you run into an enemy. I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd also like a subtle jolt of HD Rumble (tm) when it happens.
- Speaking of controls, I still haven't quite wrapped my head around using all of the buttons, leading to a few misclicks and wasted magic shots.
- I wish you could hold down a shoulder button then use right stick, then release to change forms and magic. Maybe there's some technical reason why it doesn't work like this?
- Not a fan of your dragon brother dropping hearts in the boss fights. I'll admit to using them as some of the fights can go on for a bit - so maybe the fights are balanced around it - but at that point I'd rather them maybe lower the difficulty of the fight itself and make the assistance optional, like a golden mushroom in the Mario games.

I'm having a good time, but haven't really quite been blown away yet. Maybe it'll be more interconnected and you'll get that "oh man I'm back /here/?" moment that defines the metroidvania genre (for me).

Last edited:

Logbomb

Feb 9, 2018
A few thoughts about a potential Hard Mode:
  • Turn off Zeke dropping hearts and potions in boss fights.
  • Adjust the combat formula to make it more challenging (less defense and/or attack for Jin).
  • Less or no heart drops and no potion drops from monsters.
  • Permadeath ^_^ just joking lol

Also a potential idea for a purchasable DLC, play through the game as Pepelogoo in search of Asha. We know Pepelogoo can fit through snake holes in the game, and of course Pepelogoo can fly so it can reach any where the dragon form can go. Also Pepelogoo uses its tongue to activate switches in Monster World IV, so it could potentially activate any frog rotate switches too.

Anyway just some food for thought, I doubt the DLC idea will happen but I think adding a Hard Mode deserves serious consideration from the devs.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Volcano area goes on a bit too long. So much death.

Just spent like half an hour or more in the room with the chest and the four fire pillars and it turns out getting them all to the bottom at the same time is not the solution to opening the gate.

Looking forward to getting the fire invuln set bonus *after* I'm done with his place as I'm unable to find a new purple gem. edit: Of course I find one two minutes after typing this. :P

Been enjoying the game a lot otherwise, but the controls / aiming is a bit finnicky and there's quite a few glitches, like getting ejected from a wall due to collision detection or worse, getting "crushed" from touching blocks from a bad angle.

Also getting crushed = instadeath is terrrrrible - esp when it happens due to getting stuck in geometry.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm in the volcano area and I had to give in and take a quick look at a walkthrough for the first time. Turns out

I have to switch from the lion to the pig to avoid taking damage when ground-pounding those lava streams.

Why?? I was stuck for hours and I can safely say I would have never finished the game.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm in the volcano area and I had to give in and take a quick look at a walkthrough for the first time. Turns out

I have to switch from the lion to the pig to avoid taking damage when ground-pounding those lava streams.

Why?? I was stuck for hours and I can safely say I would have never finished the game.
I'm surprised people had a problem with that.
There's a reason the lion down thrusts with a sword and the pig uses its butt.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
- The controls are tight, but I feel like there's *something* off about collision when you run into an enemy. I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd also like a subtle jolt of HD Rumble (tm) when it happens.

Although it wasn't a big issue for me once I got used to it....but it's certainly something I noticed initially. I think the issue is the hitboxes are slightly larger than the player character. I found it most noticeable in the shmup / bullet hell sections. The Giant Bomb guys also mentioned this in their QL

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Although it wasn't a big issue for me once I got used to it....but it's certainly something I noticed initially. I think the issue is the hitboxes are slightly larger than the player character. I found it most noticeable in the shmup / bullet hell sections. The Giant Bomb guys also mentioned this in their QL

Now that you mention it, I think that's it. I feel like it's a tough issue to get around when using hand-drawn art rather than pixel art though.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I did some fan art-

dcwtmay-920e5d7b-86a9-4748-b36b-a6a67ef6b98b.jpg

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up for now and turned off the console on
Nabu

Any hints?

I seem to have zero control on which barrel the projectile hits as it's not reflectable with shield or weapon, and I have no idea why he sometimes decides to pull barrels, which he pick, most of the time he just burns it all. I got as far as the third one where the magic sphere always hits the bottom right one. Destroying all or some of the rest doesn't help as he'll just burn them all.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Gave up for now and turned off the console on
Nabu

Any hints?

I seem to have zero control on which barrel the projectile hits as it's not reflectable with shield or weapon, and I have no idea why he sometimes decides to pull barrels, which he pick, most of the time he just burns it all. I got as far as the third one where the magic sphere always hits the bottom right one. Destroying all or some of the rest doesn't help as he'll just burn them all.
He only takes the barrels from the middle of the pile so you have to spin the room with the frog during the third time then break barrels to get it to fall to that position. He'll break the barrel if he notices it so you have to wait a bit.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
He only takes the barrels from the middle of the pile so you have to spin the room with the frog during the third time then break barrels to get it to fall to that position. He'll break the barrel if he notices it so you have to wait a bit.

Spinning the room was my first instinct but the only thing that looks spinnable is the wheel in the center and that doesn't do anything when I use the tongue on it.

Edit: Oh, I see it now, it only appeared for that short moment and was hard to notice the thin red stripes on the black background. What a garbage boss design, but it's done now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I was certain today was the day I would beat this..
until I get to the last area and find out you MUST HAVE all of the Golden weapon pieces to continue with the story. Backtrack collectothon

Wow, NOT happy with this at this late stage. Totally not cool, as it seemed 100% optional.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was certain today was the day I would beat this..
until I get to the last area and find out you MUST HAVE all of the Golden weapon pieces to continue with the story. Backtrack collectothon

Wow, NOT happy with this at this late stage. Totally not cool, as it seemed 100% optional.

I felt the same way initially when discovering this but it really isn't too bad. At least they
don't have you getting the other golden pieces as well plus they mark the general locations on your map to make it easier.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Right I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game, it's a LOT harder than I thought it was going to be.
Every single thing is great except:

Biggest issue by far in the game though is respawing enemies.
You don't even leave the screen and they respawn.

I can understand that in some cases the enemies are there to give you elemental powers when you need them for a puzzle but man.. when I'm trying to solve a tough puzzle i don't want to be killing the same enemies over and over again.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Right I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game, it's a LOT harder than I thought it was going to be.
Every single thing is great except:

Biggest issue by far in the game though is respawing enemies.
You don't even leave the screen and they respawn.

I can understand that in some cases the enemies are there to give you elemental powers when you need them for a puzzle but man.. when I'm trying to solve a tough puzzle i don't want to be killing the same enemies over and over again.

I may be crazy but I don't remember respawning enemies except for a few locations and one of them was great for gold farming. Where are they respawning that it's giving you a problem?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
There are certain points where enemies (usually those annoying mosquito types) quickly spawn just to give you a hard time. Climbing and jumping up the right side of the lighthouse as the snake, for instance.

Then I found out the frog's tongue can 1HKO them, as it should!
But not the ice-elemental ones, sadly.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
There are certain points where enemies (usually those annoying mosquito types) quickly spawn just to give you a hard time. Climbing and jumping up the right side of the lighthouse as the snake, for instance.

Then I found out the frog's tongue can 1HKO them, as it should!
But not the ice-elemental ones, sadly.
The ice elemental mosquitos have vulnerability against the poison of the snake. One hit will kill them, too.

BTW: Still reading here and also seeing the suggestions for additional modes. It's a bit too early for us to work on new modes because we're still improving the first time experience (fixing remaining bugs/glitches) and work on the PC version. We'll definitely keep working on the game and thank you everyone for staying around, helping others and recommending it <3 very happy about this awesome community! ^_^

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just beat the final boss! Map at 99.9%. Really great game! For all the small points where the design trips over itself, it makes up for it with really great variety.

I'm glad the boss fights weren't too difficult!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the platinum missable? or you can play at your leisure and then clean up the remaining trophies?

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations!!

100% collection! Wow!! Do you remember where the Prince Bracelet was?
Did you look at your map? The shops are different colours depending on if they still have things for sale or not.

Yep, what he said. Look for shops in yellow on your map. They still have stuff you did not buy. I was missing one the shields and I was going crazy looking for it until I noticed that. (and it was on first shop of the game, shhhhh don't tell anyone.)

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've just picked up the game for the Switch (retail ver.) and I've been having a blast with it so far.

The only issue I've had so far have been the loading times while swapping boots in the item menu, it only takes a few seconds but during the first area of the game you're constantly swapping between the regular and the heavy boots and it's slightly annoying.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the Steam release yet Thomas Kern ? Working on that version currently? Waiting patiently but also can't wait to play your game. You have one sure-fire sale coming from me and there's also many people waiting on it so hope Monster Boy sells through the roof on there. It probably will.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Aww, is there really no way to turn off Zeke dropping hearts? Feels like a huge oversight.
That's right there's currently no way to turn this off. We've added it to our to-do list for a future option (we'll keep working on the game)

I've just picked up the game for the Switch (retail ver.) and I've been having a blast with it so far.

The only issue I've had so far have been the loading times while swapping boots in the item menu, it only takes a few seconds but during the first area of the game you're constantly swapping between the regular and the heavy boots and it's slightly annoying.
Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoy the game. ^_^ The boots and armors require to rebuild the animation because it changes the look of the character; while shield, sword and bracelet don't require that. Therefore, boots and armors have a loading time. Unfortunately the heavy boots switching is pretty much the only way to reach the secrets in the first stage so if you're playing thoroughly it's annoying to have so many loading times in a short timeframe. In an overall look at the entire game this is a small percentage of playtime where I have to agree that it's disturbing the flow too much. We didn't find a proper solution yet but we'll try to improve it in the future.

Any word on the Steam release yet Thomas Kern ? Working on that version currently? Waiting patiently but also can't wait to play your game. You have one sure-fire sale coming from me and there's also many people waiting on it so hope Monster Boy sells through the roof on there. It probably will.
Right now we're still working on improving the first time experience for many console users and some bugs and glitches came up that we want to fix before taking the code and building the PC version based on that. We also plan to add more savegame slots for Switch players first. In the near future we plan to release 1.0.4 to all consoles with many bugs/glitches fixed that came up during Christmas/New Year player feedback and reports. Then we add saveslots and an anti-flashing light option for players with epilepsy/sensitivity to light flashes. Finally, when we finish the PC port we'll try to add 120Hz and 21:9 support. It will take some time and we'll announce an exact date for PC later. Thank you for your patience!

So which version of this is the best, I'm really trying to debate which version to buy
You can't go wrong with any version as they all perform at 1080p/60fps. Please choose based on portability yes/no. If you own a 4K screen (or even OLED) and you own a PlayStation 4 Pro or Xbox One X (and if you don't need portability) then I recommend a 4K console because the high color output looks better.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoy the game. ^_^ The boots and armors require to rebuild the animation because it changes the look of the character; while shield, sword and bracelet don't require that. Therefore, boots and armors have a loading time. Unfortunately the heavy boots switching is pretty much the only way to reach the secrets in the first stage so if you're playing thoroughly it's annoying to have so many loading times in a short timeframe. In an overall look at the entire game this is a small percentage of playtime where I have to agree that it's disturbing the flow too much. We didn't find a proper solution yet but we'll try to improve it in the future.

Hey Thomas, thanks for the reply. I've been exploring the forest area now in pig form and it's been much more enjoyable. It really isn't a huge deal but in such a polished game having to wait to exit a menu sticks out like a sore thumb, especially in the beginning of the game.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Ok guys, I have a major problem. I think there is no way for me to proceed.

Late-game spoilers:

I am human again and I got all my animal forms back EXCEPT for the pig. I had to go looking all over the map for the missing golden weapon pieces. And now I'm in the volcano...but I can't get out! The only way to leave is the portal and you have to sniff that one out to use it. But I'm still missing the damn pig! Every other exit seems to be a one-way entry point INTO the volcano, but not out.

I guess I'm done with the game. I don't even understand why you have to sniff out the same secret again. I mean, I KNOW what's there.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Ok guys, I have a major problem. I think there is no way for me to proceed.

Late-game spoilers:

I am human again and I got all my animal forms back EXCEPT for the pig. I had to go looking all over the map for the missing golden weapon pieces. And now I'm in the volcano...but I can't get out! The only way to leave is the portal and you have to sniff that one out to use it. But I'm still missing the damn pig! Every other exit seems to be a one-way entry point INTO the volcano, but not out.

I guess I'm done with the game. I don't even understand why you have to sniff out the same secret again. I mean, I KNOW what's there.
You can just use the portal staff. Equip it, hold attack then release to open a portal anywhere.

Mar 8, 2018
Just picked up the physical version. Can't wait to dig in!

EDIT: Just made it to the Lost Temple. Enjoying it a lot so far. It's more Zelda than Metroid, which isn't a bad thing. I just finished Hollow Knight, so this is an interesting chaser for that game. Hollow Knight derives a lot of its challenge from boss/enemy design and combat, but Monster Boy is all about tricky platforming and level design. It's more tightly scripted around your abilities than HK is, which is fun. Will definitely be something I continue playing.

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Just picked up the physical version. Can't wait to dig in!

EDIT: Just made it to the Lost Temple. Enjoying it a lot so far. It's more Zelda than Metroid, which isn't a bad thing. I just finished Hollow Knight, so this is an interesting chaser for that game. Hollow Knight derives a lot of its challenge from boss/enemy design and combat, but Monster Boy is all about tricky platforming and level design. It's more tightly scripted around your abilities than HK is, which is fun. Will definitely be something I continue playing.
Thank you for purchasing Monster Boy and for sharing your positive impressions ^_^

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished the game (physical) last night and then again today at 100%. I had planned to wait a bit, as I was busy with Smash, but The word of mouth was so strong that I went for it. It's probably the best Metroidvania I've played since Symphony of the Night. I say that as someone who loves Metroidvanias more than almost any other genre. I was particularly impressed with the puzzles and platforming which added tons of depth and thought to the game while allowing you to backtrack quickly once puzzles are solved. The absolute lack of filler on the map and the gente guidance towards the abundant secrets really set it apart for me in an era of games that are all about procedurally generates content and grinding.

I'm glad to see that you guys post here. Thank you for such a great game that fulfills the promise of classic adventures with the polish and depth of a modern game!

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I just finished the game (physical) last night and then again today at 100%. I had planned to wait a bit, as I was busy with Smash, but The word of mouth was so strong that I went for it. It's probably the best Metroidvania I've played since Symphony of the Night. I say that as someone who loves Metroidvanias more than almost any other genre. I was particularly impressed with the puzzles and platforming which added tons of depth and thought to the game while allowing you to backtrack quickly once puzzles are solved. The absolute lack of filler on the map and the gente guidance towards the abundant secrets really set it apart for me in an era of games that are all about procedurally generates content and grinding.

I'm glad to see that you guys post here. Thank you for such a great game that fulfills the promise of classic adventures with the polish and depth of a modern game!
Thank you so much <3 Makes the whole team very happy to read your positive impressions. ^_^

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

I agree with this completely. It's a metroidvania game without any frustrating obtuse backtracking. There are so many powers and enchancements that you really have to think on the spot of how to solve each puzzle. That's the brilliance of this game not so much memorising the map. Everything is beautifully interconnected as well and every area is different.

I think it's a far better game than say Hollow Knight which I also liked a lot.

It's a challenging metroidvania style game that never frustrated me and that's something.

Also the soundtrack is added to my videogame music youtube playlist.

9/10.

It's worth every bit of the money but I do think the price could put people off initially.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country

Encountered this bug. But FDG replied in mere seconds on Twitter. Now that's customer support!

And since I've been going back and forth between this and Dragon's Trap I was about to comment on the wheel menu being tedious for switching between characters/items but just figured out how to turn it off in the options. Silly me.

What an amazing game! Wonder when the next patch is due...

Last edited: