• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that the game is 10$ cheaper on XBL vs PSN and Switch... Anybody knows why?

I mean... I know about the Nintendo tax but first time I see a difference like that between XBL and PSN.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that the game is 10$ cheaper on XBL vs PSN and Switch... Anybody knows why?

I mean... I know about the Nintendo tax but first time I see a difference like that between XBL and PSN.
?

Where? Checking the NA digital stores for each and I see $39.99 across the board

Hmm, in Canada at least that does seem to be the case. XBL is $39, while eSHop is $49 and PSN is $53.49

Looks like eShop/PSN are technically correct, and there was just no exchange applied to the XBL version for some reason. Seems like an oversight that works in your favor, so go XBL if you want.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
?

Where? Checking the NA digital stores for each and I see $39.99 across the board
Canada

e4HJzL3.png

Hmm0XPy.png

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
After Amazon chopped half the price off the PS4 physical preorder days before the game was even out, nothing surprises me anymore.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
After Amazon chopped half the price off the PS4 physical preorder days before the game was even out, nothing surprises me anymore.
Yes that was really annoying for us. It was a strange bot battle (low price guarantee) between Walmart and Amazon computers that went out of control and Sega could only manually change that after the week-end. (Sega is our retail distribution partner). Regarding the Canadian price on Xbox: It seems that's a system bug which didn't apply the correct exchange rate..

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Beat. GOTY.

Any notable stuff for getting 100 percent? Use spoiler tags of course. I used some rainbow drops and some of these rooms are wracking my brain.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I Platinumed the game and absolutely love it!

I don't know how ANYONE could have figured out

the cork puzzle within the game itself. Has anyone made a video or article detailing its actual logic and if there are actual in game hints on how to solve it???

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I Platinumed the game and absolutely love it!

I don't know how ANYONE could have figured out

the cork puzzle within the game itself. Has anyone made a video or article detailing its actual logic and if there are actual in game hints on how to solve it???
I fluked it but the number of times to hit the gear with the frog's tongue is represented by the flashing lights.

That's the only thing extra for getting 100%. It's a tease for a possible sequel.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
This game is legit, no one who likes Metroidvanias should sleep on it. Contemplated waiting on a sale but I am glad I did not and give a bit more support to this labour of love.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just started this (got the Frog form and just reached that sky temple). It's sooo Wonder Boy all right. Pretty much everything I would have wanted. I would have never imagined, a few years ago, that we'd ever get a new, modernized Wonder Boy game... this is crazy!

The IP rights of Wonder Boy are super confusing, let me clarify a bit:

This game IS a licensed sequel to the old games, and they've paid for the rights. Due to Sega's arrangement with Westone, the rights to the names "Wonder Boy" and "Monster World" are owned by Sega, but everything else, including characters, lore, music, etc was owned by Westone (and later transferred to LAT after Westone folded), and that's what they've licensed here.

The weird character swapped versions that Hudson did were actually not because their arrangement didn't afford them the rights (as most people assume), but because Hudson wanted to be able to own their own IP. In changing the characters, they could then make their own "sequels" without having to pay Westone (as they did with Adventure Island). They COULD have used the Westone characters, they just chose to swap them for ones they could OWN.
Oh my, that explains it, thank you. I was really wondering, though I followed (and even backed) the failed Kickstarter, I couldn't remember what was the deal with the IP. I had been under the impression that this was a tribute/Wonder Boy in all but name kind of thing, but then, playing it, I heard not only familiar songs, but even saw Pepelogoo, and icons of the previous characters in the church stained glass in town, etc. and I thought, "wait, this stuff has to be copyrighted...". But your explanation makes sense.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the map, nothing sticks out. My best advise is to go to the vendor in Aeria and buy as many of those secret scrolls as you can (It will only let you buy as many as you need to reveal all the remaining secrets). It will then reveal the missing things on your map with a (?)....in your case, it may only be 1 or 2 rainbow drops needed.
There's a passage that connects the two maps that shows where all the gold pieces of gear that you missed.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...pepelogoo-in-wonder-world.84731/post-16247226
So, I've collected all the gold pieces and forged the equipment and bought all the rainbow drops and subsequently opened all the chests (got the trophy for it), and that was before taking my 99.9% cleared game screenshot. So I'm missing a single room that doesn't have any thing significant?

Fuzzy , by the "passage" are you referring to the map before the end boss with the green circles? Because I viewed that and unlocked the equipment using it.

I'm hoping I missed something rather than running into an odd glitch.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I fluked it but the number of times to hit the gear with the frog's tongue is represented by the flashing lights.

That's the only thing extra for getting 100%. It's a tease for a possible sequel.
Gotcha.

Also the cork puzzle. What the heck? Where are there clues for that lol. Seems rather unfair lol.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha.

Also the cork puzzle. What the heck? Where are there clues for that lol. Seems rather unfair lol.
The cork puzzle is completely obscure. I noticed one of the switches accidentally, but had no idea there were more. It feels intentional, almost asking people to use the internet to figure it out lol.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The cork puzzle is completely obscure. I noticed one of the switches accidentally, but had no idea there were more. It feels intentional, almost asking people to use the internet to figure it out lol.
I thought it would've been cooler if they sprinkled clues in game.

Maybe it's was one of those old school callback where players figured it out collectively and shared it. While a cool sentiment, YT kinda kills that today.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So, I've collected all the gold pieces and forged the equipment and bought all the rainbow drops and subsequently opened all the chests (got the trophy for it), and that was before taking my 99.9% cleared game screenshot. So I'm missing a single room that doesn't have any thing significant?

Fuzzy , by the "passage" are you referring to the map before the end boss with the green circles? Because I viewed that and unlocked the equipment using it.

I'm hoping I missed something rather than running into an odd glitch.
Your map is missing something that the map I linked to shows.
Notice the door to the left of the last boss doesn't have a line or another door right next to it? You missed the passage that literally connects the two rooms that contain those two maps. Go back to the second map room then go to the left and you'll be able to go down then right then down again to pop out in the room with the first map, teleport, and save pedestal.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
In the forest early on, I see a door that appears to be reached by bouncing on 3 flying bats. Is that really the correct way to reach it? I tried (as the pig, don't have my human form back yet) but I can't make those jumps. Should I just come back later or am I supposed to be able to do this now?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
In the forest early on, I see a door that appears to be reached by bouncing on 3 flying bats. Is that really the correct way to reach it? I tried (as the pig, don't have my human form back yet) but I can't make those jumps. Should I just come back later or am I supposed to be able to do this now?

It's possible to bounce off them now, but for the sake of your sanity it's probably best to return later.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Any advice on the golden item in the jungle/swamp area? There's apparently a room below this one but I can't access it, despite killing all the enemies and trying every form.

I also still have 5 missing golden pieces, but only one green area on my map. Is this normal?

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Any advice on the golden item in the jungle/swamp area? There's apparently a room below this one but I can't access it, despite killing all the enemies and trying every form.

I also still have 5 missing golden pieces, but only one green area on my map. Is this normal?
there are two golden piece maps in the last area. You may have unlocked the sword and armor map only

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Your map is missing something that the map I linked to shows.
Notice the door to the left of the last boss doesn't have a line or another door right next to it? You missed the passage that literally connects the two rooms that contain those two maps. Go back to the second map room then go to the left and you'll be able to go down then right then down again to pop out in the room with the first map, teleport, and save pedestal.
Ahhhhhhh! Thank you thank you thank you!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I still have a ? on the room with the green lit piano in the manor. Is this a glitch or did I forget an item?

The backtracking in this game is killing me with its worthless map annotations.

Any help with this?

entremet thanks! I forgot there were fewer maps than item types.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Finally 100% the game + Platinumed it. What a blast that was. Absolutely delightful GOTY.

I feel empty now.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a confounded third switch in this town somewhere, I was supposed to be playing the endgame but a chance encounter while dashing as the lion has sent me on a goose chase.

edit: And done (the final boss, not the fabled third switch)

13:23 for 79.9%
135 deaths and 13 elixirs.

This is a good game, I'm not quite as bowled over as most in here, there always felt to me like a sense of things not being as precise as the game would like, I wont spend all day reeling off examples but from the endgame itself stuff like where you have to use the Lion's dash attack on a target and sometimes you hit whilst also taking damage for some reason, maybe it's something about the Lion's sprite because trying to lower those lava platforms when wearing ice boots with the down strike had similar double effects of success and also "ow my health"
Small little quirks and all, nothing major, I just hope a potential sequel tightens things up more.

Puzzle focus is neato, helps the game stand out in a somewhat overcrowded genre.

Last edited:

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished with 89% completion (missed quite a few truffle upgrades and 1 heart container). Absolutely fantastic and a strong contender for my GOTY. This is how you bring back a classic series for a modern audience.

I still maintain the Haunted Manor had way too many puzzles, though XD

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
So I have all the gold equipment except for the gold shield. I am missing one part, there is a room in the haunted mansion when the blue flying creature is used to activate two orbs. I am at the end game so I do not have him anymore, any way to get that last piece or am I outta luck?

dodob19

May 3, 2018
So I have all the gold equipment except for the gold shield. I am missing one part, there is a room in the haunted mansion when the blue flying creature is used to activate two orbs. I am at the end game so I do not have him anymore, any way to get that last piece or am I outta luck?
To get Pepelogoo back temporarily, you can use the mirror in the room to the right of the boss fight.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Help I'm a dumb

I cleared the pirate ship and returned to the village and they tell me to climb a tower, or enter the Sanctuary. Inside the sanctuary with the Wonder Boy heroes I see pendulums that I can lower with the snake form, but activating them with the frog does nothing. And as for the tower, I got on some platform but it doesn't go further up.

What am I missing? Spoiler-tag a hint please? :3

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Help I'm a dumb

I cleared the pirate ship and returned to the village and they tell me to climb a tower, or enter the Sanctuary. Inside the sanctuary with the Wonder Boy heroes I see pendulums that I can lower with the snake form, but activating them with the frog does nothing. And as for the tower, I got on some platform but it doesn't go further up.

You'll also need to light them up with fire.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Help I'm a dumb

I feel your pain! I got stuck there too.

Once you lower them with the frog, look closely at the top of them. You need to use a certain spell.

It's always what ends up being the simplest puzzles, like this one, that take me like an hour.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the volcano area over the weekend. Probably the most frustrated I've been with the game so far, but it really wasn't that bad. This game is actually quite forgiving with its checkpoints, which balances out the difficulty nicely.