• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll see if I can find a vid on YT. I didn't get to play MWIV until it was formally translated and released on the Wii VC.
I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite MW. But I've already uninstalled MB and don't feel like digging the disc out again.
Thank you.

Edit - No 100% clear on YT. Might have to re-install and re-beat! Crap!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I'll see if I can find a vid on YT. I didn't get to play MWIV until it was formally translated and released on the Wii VC.
I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite MW. But I've already uninstalled MB and don't feel like digging the disc out again.
Thank you.

Edit - No 100% clear on YT. Might have to re-install and re-beat! Crap!

qaTnBZx.png

Which matches up pretty closely to this.
lNmwwgi.png

Game Rogue

Oct 28, 2017
Completed (non 100%) on Switch this morning. Ending credit stats 35+ hours, about 70% items, with nearly 500 deaths. I'm going back in for hearts, gems, and golden armor; might as well see what I can get done at 40-hours before starting Golf Story.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is this very Metroidvania-y, or is it still a platformer at heart?
I used to love Monster Land, and from what I played of MWIV, that was great too, but I never played the others, and I'm very picky with what Metroidvania games I like (not many). Does the cjhallenge come from creative puzzles and tricky platforming sections, or from wandering around trying to remember an odd looking block in a room 5 hours ago, while the game does it's best Super Metroid/Souls impression by not offering me any help because 'immersion'?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Does the cjhallenge come from creative puzzles and tricky platforming sections, or from wandering around trying to remember an odd looking block in a room 5 hours ago, while the game does it's best Super Metroid/Souls impression by not offering me any help because 'immersion'?

Definitely the first that you said. The focus is on platforming and solving puzzles using your different abilities, while having an interconnected world

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Is this very Metroidvania-y, or is it still a platformer at heart?
I used to love Monster Land, and from what I played of MWIV, that was great too, but I never played the others, and I'm very picky with what Metroidvania games I like (not many). Does the cjhallenge come from creative puzzles and tricky platforming sections, or from wandering around trying to remember an odd looking block in a room 5 hours ago, while the game does it's best Super Metroid/Souls impression by not offering me any help because 'immersion'?

It's structured kind of like a Zelda game. There is a world connecting everything, but the main areas are separated from the world, like dungeons in Zelda. A lof of people seem to think the combat is hard, but I didn't have any problem with it. I thought the challenge was more from the puzzles. Since stuff is split into dungeons, you're never forced to remember stuff from earlier in the game to backtrack to. All the dungeons are pretty self-contained.

nooknook

Oct 29, 2017
For the life of me I can't find where to get the bomb ability.
It looks like I can't progress further in the pyramid without them.
Any tips?

nooknook

Oct 29, 2017
There's 5 magic root things in the Misty Woods area, which includes the Snake cave, so you should go back through there and see if you find a bomb.
Thanks for the help!
Unfortunately, I can't seem to leave the temple. The jump to the exit over the main save point in the temple is too high. Even with the double jump.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
qaTnBZx.png

Which matches up pretty closely to this.
lNmwwgi.png

Thanks so much for posting that. I wonder what it all means? It kind of bothered me that she wasn't represented in the Sanctuary's stained glass windows. Is this game occurring at the same time as MWIV? Is that a DLC teaser? Interesting.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks so much for posting that. I wonder what it all means? It kind of bothered me that she wasn't represented in the Sanctuary's stained glass windows. Is this game occurring at the same time as MWIV? Is that a DLC teaser? Interesting.

My theory is that Monster Boy takes place maybe 10 years after MWIV and the girl you save at the end is Asha's daughter. Maybe Asha got trapped in the temple while looking for her and we gotta save Asha in a sequel.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
For the life of me I can't find where to get the bomb ability.
It looks like I can't progress further in the pyramid without them.
Any tips?
To get the bombs: From the main entrance in the temple (big save spot) go to the right, you'll enter the area where you can rotate the room. You need to get one room up and go through the door there. It leads to the section where you get the bomb truffle.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying this game, but it's a bit too punishing. I'm in a later area and a few hits kill me. I know. Get good and all that. But after completing a puzzle with a little bit of health, I make it to the next section. Get killed. No checkpoint. Now I have to do the puzzle again. I know the solution now, but it's tedious.

Otherwise, it's an excellent game, but things like this annoy me.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this game, but it's a bit too punishing. I'm in a later area and a few hits kill me. I know. Get good and all that. But after completing a puzzle with a little bit of health, I make it to the next section. Get killed. No checkpoint. Now I have to do the puzzle again. I know the solution now, but it's tedious.

Normally if you do puzzle stuff it always gets saved and you don't have to redo anything. I agree that sometimes hits hit a bit too hard, but you should have proper equipment to deal with most situations.

I love to buy the physical game for Switch but it's very expensive over here. Do you guys think the extras make it worth it?
I think they do, the manual is very nice and reminiscent of SNES manuals. Stickers are nice, but whatever imo. The game itself is definitely worth full price; it has some crazy attention to detail and the game itself is very long but without much repetition. Very meaty and varied.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
The area I struggled with the most was the Volcano, and only because I completely ignored the ice equipment. Thankfully I wised up, bought the set and fully upgraded it then it became very manageable.

The dark realm might have been too punishing until I got more comfortable with the dash.

Is there a specific area you're struggling with, entremet ?

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now

Sadly agree. Gave the game to my sister after the volcano. At least she enjoyed it.

#notmywonder/monsterboy

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Need help with a secret room. I've used a rainbow drop, so I know it's there.

Spoilers

In the main room of the Volcano area down by the stone mural/save point there is a gray room right above the left exit. No idea how to get there.

/Spoilers

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The area I struggled with the most was the Volcano, and only because I completely ignored the ice equipment. Thankfully I wised up, bought the set and fully upgraded it then it became very manageable.

The dark realm might have been too punishing until I got more comfortable with the dash.

Is there a specific area you're struggling with, entremet ?
LOL. It's that area haha. Money is hard to come by, though. Another complaint!

I'm really nitpicking though. Great game, tho. I'm a Souls fan so I'm used to this lol.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Need help with a secret room. I've used a rainbow drop, so I know it's there.

Spoilers

In the main room of the Volcano area down by the stone mural/save point there is a gray room right above the left exit. No idea how to get there.

/Spoilers

That one took me a while to find as well.
If you take the top left exit above the professor, then look above the first statue you come across when you enter, you can see the edge of breakable blocks above the statue

vuzV3PJ.png

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Volcano is only difficult if you can't afford the ice armour and missed a lot of hearts before then.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that Monster Boy takes place maybe 10 years after MWIV and the girl you save at the end is Asha's daughter. Maybe Asha got trapped in the temple while looking for her and we gotta save Asha in a sequel.

Isn't the green-haired boy in the ending cutscene just the main character's brother transformed back into a human? The one who was a small green dragon througout the game?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the green-haired boy in the ending cutscene just the main character's brother transformed back into a human? The one who was a small green dragon througout the game?

You know what, I guess it is Zeke. I just thought it was the green-haired girl Pepelogoo kept talking about, because of how he snuggled him. But they show Zeke by that wall just a few seconds before that. Pepelogoo still needs to find the green-haired girl then.

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The Volcano is only difficult if you can't afford the ice armour and missed a lot of hearts before then.
Nah. I got the armors. It just never ends and it's the biggest difficulty spike. Plus lava, dumb annoying bat enemies. Man I don't miss it lol.

I'm in the next section after the volcano and man it is a breath of fresh air.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This volcano, man. It never ends lol.
Make sure you (not really a spoiler, but just in case)
get the ice equipment, it helps.

/edit: oh you already did? Are you playing on hard?

On a related note, I just finished it with a 92 point something percentage. Absolutely stellar game and honestly I think I might switch around my GOTY list. I had DQXI at 1 and this at 2, but I think I'm gonna flip them around. I really have almost nothing bad to say about it; a complete joy that gets better and getter the further you get. It took me 21 hours and that seems a bit long for this type of game, but when a game continually provides the player with varied content it can take as long as it wants.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Make sure you (not really a spoiler, but just in case)
get the ice equipment, it helps.

On a related note, I just finished it with a 92 point something percentage. Absolutely stellar game and honestly I think I might switch around my GOTY list. I had DQXI at 1 and this at 2, but I think I'm gonna flip them around. I really have almost nothing bad to say about it; a complete joy that gets better and getter the further you get. It took me 21 hours and that seems a bit long for this type of game, but when a game continually provides the player with varied content it can take as long as it wants.
I agree. This game just shot up my list.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game yesterday. Not sure if it's timing, price, people being a bit luke warm or confused by the wonder boy remake, but man, this became one of my favourite games of the year.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday. Not sure if it's timing, price, people being a bit luke warm or confused by the wonder boy remake, but man, this became one of my favourite games of the year.
I know right? It's crazy good. Like I'm almost shocked. I don't wanna sound hyperbolic here, but this game deserves all the praise it can get.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I know right? It's crazy good. Like I'm almost shocked. I don't wanna sound hyperbolic here, but this game deserves all the praise it can get.

It's a great game for sure but man that price point is disappointing, especially since you can easily 100% in under 20 hours. Similar games (Steamworld Dig 2, Hollow Knight, etc...) that are a fraction of the price offer so much more content and challenge.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Requesting a bit of help.

I'm at the Haunted Mansion, and I can't figure out how to get the mirror statue near the dual conveyor belts to stay in place on the left side of the map. I feel like I've completed all of the map so far besides this one little riddle -- I've got the Mirror Shield and I've got Pepelegoo following me around... I feel like the two major areas I can't access yet are the door behind the statue in the main hall, and the sewers next to the water pressure machine. I'm completely at a loss at what to do -- I feel like I need that statue to sit in place so it'll beam light into the main hall so I can finish the center light puzzle.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game for sure but man that price point is disappointing, especially since you can easily 100% in under 20 hours. Similar games (Steamworld Dig 2, Hollow Knight, etc...) that are a fraction of the price offer so much more content and challenge.
I'll respectfully disagree. 20 hours is not short at all and more games shold aspire to be that lenghts. Most games overstay their welcome anyway.

I think I finished Steamworld Dig 2 in 2 sittings and about 6 hours, it wasn't varied, was repetitive and it offered zero challenge. Not a bad game, but not one I hold in very high regard to be honest, certainly not compared to this. Hollow Knight I've yet to play (waiting on that physical) but I hear it's like 40 hours long. If they can fill that up in interesting ways, cool, but I've got my doubts. But we'll see. The game is 100% worth full price to me and it offered me much more than certain other hyped up games this year that overstayed their welcome by, oh 40 hours (RDR2 I'm looking at you).

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Easily' 100% in under 20 hours. If you're using a guide. Most people will finish in about that time without being close to 100% imo.

And yeah, Hollow Knight is crazy value. But if anything, that game is under priced rather than monster boy being over priced.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the price at all. Hollow Knight was made by a two man team essentially.

And Hollow Knight, which I do love, is the exception here.

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I'll respectfully disagree. 20 hours is not short at all and more games shold aspire to be that lenghts. Most games overstay their welcome anyway.

I think I finished Steamworld Dig 2 in 2 sittings and about 6 hours, it wasn't varied, was repetitive and it offered zero challenge. Not a bad game, but not one I hold in very high regard to be honest, certainly not compared to this. Hollow Knight I've yet to play (waiting on that physical) but I hear it's like 40 hours long. If they can fill that up in interesting ways, cool, but I've got my doubts. But we'll see. The game is 100% worth full price to me and it offered me much more than certain other hyped up games this year that overstayed their welcome by, oh 40 hours (RDR2 I'm looking at you).

Hollow Knight is on another level and not even a fair comparison, especially at $15. I completed the story at 92% after 60 hours and that's not even touching the latest free DLC. The game is filled with variety and cool secrets. Not sure why you would have doubts given the reception it's had

I also thought the physical version was cancelled.