• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I am at 99.9% map completion ... the only bit missing from platinum and for the life of me I cannot locate that last bit of map I need :(
Even if you've beaten the game previously it won't show 100% map completion until you walk in to to fight the final boss again.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Snap a screenshot of your map and I'll help you out. Just spoiler it so others don't need to see it.
WCZTHO4.jpg

7sOmPVF.jpg

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me reconsider my plans. I was planning on playing through this and Valkyria Chronicles 4 after beating Dragon Quest 11, but now I'm tempted to play through this before jumping back into DQ11. After my vacation ends (Jan 2), barring work getting in the way, I'm thinking about binging this over 2 weekends. I don't want to rush the experience but think 4 hours a day x 6 days (including Fridays). Any thoughts on if this would be "rushing" the experience?
I think that's enough time in terms of hours, but for me, getting stuck on a puzzle usually means taking a breather from the game and coming back fresh. If I just kept at it, I'd be banging my head against a wall. Or you can look up solutions, I suppose. The puzzles are not unfair but some of them will make you scratch your head for a while.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Isn't it annoying when it's something that simple? This game made me feel dumb a few times because the answer was staring me in the face and I didn't see it. Glad you got everything.

I saw that missing bit in the town a few times and honestly just figured it was just the way the map was drawn and didn't think to fly up there.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I bought this game because of Krejlooc 's thread and holy shit do I not regret it. This is A tier, quality gaming.

Reminds me a little bit of Tomba! Just a bit, but enough to make me smile out of nostalgia.

Just got the Snake transformation. The music and art design are what really stand out to me, but the platforming and level design are creative and make good use of your powers as well.

Sep 28, 2018
I bought this game because of Krejlooc 's thread and holy shit do I not regret it. This is A tier, quality gaming.

Reminds me a little bit of Tomba! Just a bit, but enough to make me smile out of nostalgia.

Just got the Snake transformation. The music and art design are what really stand out to me, but the platforming and level design are creative and make good use of your powers as well.

It really is a fantastic game... I was glad to see that it was Digital Foundry's game of the year.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that this thread got me ready to buy and play this game, only to find out it's not out on PC until sometime next year.

I started playing The Dragon's Trap instead.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
This game is magic. It manages to be nostalgic and reference the charm of the original games while bringing a lot of new improvements and quality of life upgrades. I've played all the big Metroidvania releases on the Switch this year and this is by far my favorite. It's definitely a contender for my GotY, I love it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Tweeted out earlier, but got the 100% last night. Had to use a guide for some of the more obscure stuff (not sure how anyone figured some of these out!), but I kinda liked that in a way... reminded me of the oldschool days where that information traveled around your friends or you read about it in a magazine, etc. Not essential in any way to beating the game, but fun for the sake of completion. Wonderful game, and now I'm left in a bit of a funk as I figure out what can follow that up to finish out the year. It's either going to be Dragon's Trap or Yoku's.

Thanks for creating such a beautiful game. It's definitely the biggest surprise of the year for me!

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Tweeted out earlier, but got the 100% last night. Had to use a guide for some of the more obscure stuff (not sure how anyone figured some of these out!), but I kinda liked that in a way... reminded me of the oldschool days where that information traveled around your friends or you read about it in a magazine, etc. Not essential in any way to beating the game, but fun for the sake of completion. Wonderful game, and now I'm left in a bit of a funk as I figure out what can follow that up to finish out the year. It's either going to be Dragon's Trap or Yoku's.

Thanks for creating such a beautiful game. It's definitely the biggest surprise of the year for me!

Indeed the game is a beautiful treasure.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There is this underwater puzzle with crystals, not sure how to solve it.
The five crystals aren't the puzzle, they're the solution to a puzzle elsewhere.

When you hit the crystals with the snake's venom to make them glow different colours they'll show stars above them. Later you'll find a room with the same number of switches and you'll have to hit them in the order of the crystals the same amount of times as the number of stars you saw before. I can't remember the answer off the top of my head but if the left most crystal had one star above it then you hit the same coloured switch one time. If the second crystal had three stars then you hit the same coloured switch three times and so on. Best to just take a screenshot in game to make it easier when hitting the switches.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The five crystals aren't the puzzle, they're the solution to a puzzle elsewhere.

When you hit the crystals with the snake's venom to make them glow different colours they'll show stars above them. Later you'll find a room with the same number of switches and you'll have to hit them in the order of the crystals the same amount of times as the number of stars you saw before. I can't remember the answer off the top of my head but if the left most crystal had one star above it then you hit the same coloured switch one time. If the second crystal had three stars then you hit the same coloured switch three times and so on. Best to just take a screenshot in game to make it easier when hitting the switches.

thanks alot!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
https://twitter.com/docky/status/1077275010211799040
Spending more than half an hour on the Nabu boss fight and him refusing to pick up the blue crates. This game has some bizarrely narrow success criteria.

I think I literally have to stop playing here.

This game has some of my favourite and very worst gaming moments of the year. What an uneven game.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am getting a Switch tomorrow (Xmas gift) and wondering if there is any benefit getting this game on my Xbox One "X" or is the game performance/resolution the same on the Switch or it better on the "X"?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Spending more than half an hour on the Nabu boss fight and him refusing to pick up the blue crates. This game has some bizarrely narrow success criteria.

This game has some of my favourite and very worst gaming moments of the year. What an uneven game.

That's not how you do that. I spent a long time without getting what I had to do there, too. Mostly because I was playing too far away from the TV to see what I had to do.
You have to trick him into getting the right barrel by spinning the room around with Frog. There's a valve in the background.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

He only takes the barrels from the middle of the pile so you have to spin the room during the third time then break barrels to get it to fall to that position. He'll break the barrel if he notices it so you have to wait a bit.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am getting a Switch tomorrow (Xmas gift) and wondering if there is any benefit getting this game on my Xbox One "X" or is the game performance/resolution the same on the Switch or it better on the "X"?

Thanks!
1080/60 no matter which version you choose. The only differences is there's a physical version on the PS4 and Switch, trophies/achievements on PS4/XB1, and handheld mode (720/60) on Switch.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
1080/60 no matter which version you choose. The only differences is there's a physical version on the PS4 and Switch, trophies/achievements on PS4/XB1, and handheld mode (720/60) on Switch.

Perfect. Thank You! I will get this on the Switch then. Thank you again for responding, appreciate it!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this yesterday and have been playing it non-stop since then. It's scratching an itch I've been neglecting for so long. An absolute gem.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wow, that's terrible. No telegraphing at all. This has really soured my experience with the game. Thanks anyway.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow, that's terrible. No telegraphing at all. This has really soured my experience with the game. Thanks anyway.
Nah, the thing pops up in the middle of the screen. You're just not paying attention. It's also not the first time you use that in a boss fight.

Apr 24, 2018
Time it takes you to play through can vastly differ based on how much you get stuck and how willing you are to follow guides. I was stuck in the mansion forever. How much you care about finding secrets can also have an effect, but unfortunately some of the most obtuse stuff in this game is critical path.
I think that's enough time in terms of hours, but for me, getting stuck on a puzzle usually means taking a breather from the game and coming back fresh. If I just kept at it, I'd be banging my head against a wall. Or you can look up solutions, I suppose. The puzzles are not unfair but some of them will make you scratch your head for a while.
Thanks to you both. I used to be vehemently against using guides in my younger days, but these days, after I've given enough thought and effort, I no longer have any such qualms. I tend to have success solving problems by walking away from the problem for a bit and then trying again with a fresh perspective (and sub conscious thought processing) later, as well, so depending on how gung-ho I am with figuring out the puzzles on my own, maybe six days won't be enough for me (if I feel really close, I'll likely keep at it til I figure it out or have exhausted everything I can think of on my own; if they seem vague and obtuse, I almost assuredly won't). I'll probably post at least once about my thoughts on the game, here, once I start playing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
He only takes the barrels from the middle of the pile so you have to spin the room during the third time then break barrels to get it to fall to that position. He'll break the barrel if he notices it so you have to wait a bit.
Yeah, it doesn't take that long to figure it out. Game does reward observation above all else... almost too much at times (but not in this case IMO). :)

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Need help figuring out a puzzle, I'm stumped (late-game minor spoilers):

It's in Castle of Lupia, in the doorway in that big area with the gust of winds. The room layout is simple, you need a golden cog to open the door to the chest, but then there are some sub-levels and a penguin guard at the bottom that's seemingly unreachable. What am I supposed to do here?

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out phew. Quite obtuse.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
There, finished it at 100%, took 18h27m apparently. Excellent little gem, provided a decent amount of challenge and also scratched the exploration itch perfectly. Not much of a story, though, but couldn't care less.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm stuck on a interrogation sign in Skullrock Beach.
It's on the tile where you have a mage selling spells and the switch you have to push using fire
Any idea how to get it?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks! That was it.
Now I'm at 96%, I suppose that equipment counts right?
Any way to grind for money in the game?
There's a respawning enemy all the way to the left in the volcano that drops 20g bags. Equip ice boots and the 2x coin bracelet and you can rack up thousands in a couple of minutes.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I finally had time to play this gem. I wanted to play it slowly while visiting my mother but I couldn't put it down. Finished it in 4-5 days with 22 hours. Got the armour and sword and some hearts.

Game is oozing with charm and got some nice tunes. The difficult is a bit unbalanced, some areas are quite hard.

I'm glad I picked it up.