• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I'm stuck with one puzzle (around 75% into the game), Waterfall area:

It's the underwater puzzle in the secret room. You can flip two switches; one changes the flow direction in the water, and the other switch lets loose a mine, and you also have a green bouncing pad you can move around in frog form. How do you blow up the bomb blocks in the upper right part of the screen?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017

It's the underwater puzzle in the secret room. You can flip two switches; one changes the flow direction in the water, and the other switch lets loose a mine, and you also have a green bouncing pad you can move around in frog form. How do you blow up the bomb blocks in the upper right part of the screen?

You have to flip the current on and off in a way that the bomb bounces onto the blocks. It's been a while since I did it, so I don't remember specifics, but that's the gist of it.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last Friday, what a ride it was !
Got all heart pieces golden equipment map is at 99.3% and I was at 20h 3 minutes of gameplay.

Really enjoyed the game although I feel like sometimes the game was too cryptic(or maybe it's just me) on what to do like how are you suppose to know how to unlock the well in Lupia ? I checked on Youtube for this .

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
You have to flip the current on and off in a way that the bomb bounces onto the blocks. It's been a while since I did it, so I don't remember specifics, but that's the gist of it.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do but I cannot seem to solve it. I try bouncing it back using the top left block, but it blows up before it reaches the bomb blocks. :(

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The only feature I wish the developers would consider adding is an extra level of zoom for the map. I've been playing the game exclusively in hand-held on the Switch so being able to read the map without having to squint would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah. That tiny UI. I had to play the game on a chair closer to the TV, because I couldn't see shit from where I usually sit.

Finished the game last Friday, what a ride it was !
Got all heart pieces golden equipment map is at 99.3% and I was at 20h 3 minutes of gameplay.

Really enjoyed the game although I feel like sometimes the game was too cryptic(or maybe it's just me) on what to do like how are you suppose to know how to unlock the well in Lupia ? I checked on Youtube for this .

Yeah. Some of the puzzles make no logical sense.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, I'm feeling a strong mood shift toward retro-style action platformers right now and thinking that I need to grab this, Iconoclasts and MegaMan 11 now. Probably most excited for this one of them all.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what I'm trying to do but I cannot seem to solve it. I try bouncing it back using the top left block, but it blows up before it reaches the bomb blocks. :(
I can't redo the puzzle, but this is what's left of it in my game. Hope it helps.
AWCmkGA.png

Also, I love that disco in the waterfall area. I think it's Yuzo Koshiro, too.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I can't redo the puzzle, but this is what's left of it in my game. Hope it helps.
AWCmkGA.png

Also, I love that disco in the waterfall area. I think it's Yuzo Koshiro, too.

Thanks, that did help. It's just stupid that the game requires you to do it that roundabout way, when I managed to bounce the mine back to the top-left bouncer, but it blows up for no good reason (physics glitch?). Anyway, thanks again!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I've gotten 2 of the 3 legendary artifacts. Can't find the one that is in the Skies of Aeria (?) section? Any help??

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Real shame that Monster World IV is still only on last gen systems. Hopefully they get on to some modern digital stores.

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on the fence getting this game. But i also want Octopath Traver and Guagamelee. What to buy Era?
I liked Hollow Knight alot! Is this simular also with the difficulty?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the fence getting this game. But i also want Octopath Traver and Guagamelee. What to buy Era?
I liked Hollow Knight alot! Is this simular also with the difficulty?

They're both Metroidvanias, but besides that, they're not that similar. I think HK is difficult because it's really stingy with upgrades and doesn't give you any hints for where you should go. Monster Boy is not like that.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to an earlier post I remembered the spike ball in the far right room I'd done barely anything with. That purple ghost wasn't familiar to me but turns out I'd already done pretty much everything there was to do in the room to the left, I needed those spike balls to clobber the stones and reach new rooms. Thanks to that I've made it as far as beating the Undead Wizard and I'm getting close to finishing up here. So thanks!

EDIT: not quite, there's still the matter of the room on the far right with the seemingly broken light switch and of course the telescope

Apr 24, 2018
This thread is making me reconsider my plans. I was planning on playing through this and Valkyria Chronicles 4 after beating Dragon Quest 11, but now I'm tempted to play through this before jumping back into DQ11. After my vacation ends (Jan 2), barring work getting in the way, I'm thinking about binging this over 2 weekends. I don't want to rush the experience but think 4 hours a day x 6 days (including Fridays). Any thoughts on if this would be "rushing" the experience?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is the telescope puzzle unsolvable if you don't have pepelogoo anymore?!
You can call Pepelogoo back through the mirror on the left room after you enter the manor.

This thread is making me reconsider my plans. I was planning on playing through this and Valkyria Chronicles 4 after beating Dragon Quest 11, but now I'm tempted to play through this before jumping back into DQ11. After my vacation ends (Jan 2), barring work getting in the way, I'm thinking about binging this over 2 weekends. I don't want to rush the experience but think 4 hours a day x 6 days (including Fridays). Any thoughts on if this would be "rushing" the experience?

The game is around 20 hours, so I don't think that would be rushing it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up and looked up the answer to the corked well in town. Total. Bullshit. Awesome little area though!

Wait, is the telescope puzzle unsolvable if you don't have pepelogoo anymore?!

There is a way to get him back for the area. Walk through the bottom left room of the main room where the save and stairs are.

Oct 25, 2017

I couldn't work this out either. The solution I try (bouncing it straight back up on the bottom left) explodes the bomb about two thirds of the way to the blocks. It seems to explode right on the point where the reverse current would be, but the interactions are unclear to the point where I think it may be a bug?

Apr 24, 2018
You can call Pepelogoo back through the mirror on the left room after you enter the manor.

The game is around 20 hours, so I don't think that would be rushing it.
Thanks! 4 hours a day already in and of itself is lot of time to me these days, but outside of mainly a little bit of DQ11 here and there, I've gamed very little these past 4 months, so a little binging feels due ^_^. Playing a shorter game around all the JRPGs I've played lately seems to be in order and Monster Boy fits the bill. Really looking forward to the soundtrack, based on everything I've heard about it.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The haunted mansion is great, you just need to realize that it's basically a mini self contained Metroidvania itself and it becomes a lot less frustrating.

The one thing in there that I feel is unfair is the
snake hole entrance to Pepelogoo not being visible
. I knew that there was more to that room, but left it for later thinking that I needed a new item to interact with it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the haunted mansion. Gotta say I loved it very much. And also glad I didn't give in and looked at a guide when I was lost and stuck. Its got some really clever puzzles that all come together when you get the powerup needed to progress. It reminded me weirdly enough of Grunty Industries in Banjo Tooie - just that the area is pretty big, and that while you can explore most of the areas from the offset it takes a while to fully unlock everything and solve all the puzzles.

The more I play the more I love this game. Great platforming, puzzles and huge areas to explore. Honestly the only thing I could kinda complain about is the combat - its not bad but its just not great. And that's really the only thing I can "complain" about, is that the combat isn't as great as the rest of the game. Definitely a late "game of the year" for me, worth every penny.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so what is more worthwhile to get:

This game at 33 bucks or whatever the bestbuy discount is?

Or Wonder Boy The Dragons Trap, which I can get for 8 bucks right now?

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, it looks like my gold Armor Parts count glitched? All five are showing on the map, and I've been there and got them all, but the counters are showing four. :(((

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Okay so what is more worthwhile to get:

This game at 33 bucks or whatever the bestbuy discount is?

Or Wonder Boy The Dragons Trap, which I can get for 8 bucks right now?

I'm apparently one the few people around here not enjoying this game - so I'd say buy the Dragons trap, especially at that price.
Dragon's trap is beautiful (with a more cohesive art style overall), has a great soundtrack (with better reinterpretations of the classic themes) and you have the 8bit graphics and sound that you can swap if you have nostalgia.

I tried very hard to enjoy this one, but it's not for me. The sudden death trial and error gameplay and the difficulty spikes made me stop playing.

Also I guess this game will have some discounts later in the year...

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Got the Plat today. Really liked the game, although the last area had some rage inducing passages. Also liked the final boss battle ^^
Now I want more of it :D

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The well puzzle is one I used a guide for. No way was I figuring that out myself, but its well worth doing as the payoff for the puzzle is a fantastic throwback.

As for the question above on which of the two games to get, this one all the way. Its a longer, and much better game (in my opinion) in both platforming and puzzles. I liked Dragon Trap, but this game just feels better in every way.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Plat today. Really liked the game, although the last area had some rage inducing passages. Also liked the final boss battle ^^
Now I want more of it :D

Going through that final zone now and came to the same conclusion. Like some sections I'd be fine never doing again ever.

But damn this game has so many surprises, can't help but love it. Wrapping up to 100% now and I want to play the old games next.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually fluked the answer to that. It wasn't until later that I noticed the flashing light. lol
Id have never found the switches, but even if I did I'd doubt I'd figure out the torch puzzle right after it (though I guess I could brute force it with enough guesses!)

I'm just trying to work out if I want to get all the gold bits for the best gear or go finish the game. Is there a point of no return? As I see that there are still a few things that I need to unlock in which I assume is the final area.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Anyone know how to get the hints that shows the location of the gold bracelet, boots and shield parts, the ones that marks your map with green circles?

I came across one in the Dark Realm but it only marked my map with the gold weapon and armour parts locations.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to get the hints that shows the location of the gold bracelet, boots and shield parts, the ones that marks your map with green circles?

I came across one in the Dark Realm but it only marked my map with the gold weapon and armour parts locations.

If you turn back from the final boss save area, you'll come across a big hole on the floor. Drop down that.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

It's hidden in the same area as the one you found. If you really want to know.

At the top of the staircase on the way to the final boss there's a piece of the floor that's bombable. There's more to it than that but that's a start.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just got 100%

What a ride. Some downs, but mostly all ups. Certainly near the end I was looking up a few secrets begrudgingly due to vagueness, but a large majority were so well devised and felt so satisfying to parse it all out.

I do think the combat was a bit weak though. You often are fighting foes that fly about and shoot at you with awkward angles your shield felt strangely unable to reflect(way too small hitbox on that worthless thing mostly). Your weapon lacks an overhead swipe ala one of the forms in the Dragons Trap, so you do this deadly jumping poke duel that often ends with you taking crazy damage, unless you switch to pig magic I guess, which cmon...im too lazy for all that just to deal with a few bats! I have a sword! Silly complaint but the combat in general came across as a weakness overall and rarely satisfying. (Some bosses often ended up feeling like attrition duels with tons of spawned fodder that muck up any pattern concentration...meh)

Regardless it's up there as one of the best I've played all year. So many surprises within not worth spoiling. Such great area layouts. Secret discovery was just great. Loved this game.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is there a way of getting Pepelogoo back with you after completing the game/reloading checkpoint ? I need to get all the thunder truffles, but it doesn't look like the telescope one is possible without Pepelogoo.

Is it just a case of making sure you get this one before completing the haunted manor ?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Finished last night (76%, 19 hrs), and spent a good chunk of today going through to get the equipment and truffles. Got all those and now I'm working on the rest of the collectibles (chests and whatnot). This is kind of dragging, but some of them are fun to figure out.

I know I complained quite a bit in here, but I still think this is going to be a top 3 finisher for the year. What a nice surprise it was! After I get the 100%, I'm going to go back and finish what I started with Dragon's Trap.

It's hidden in the same area as the one you found. If you really want to know.

At the top of the staircase on the way to the final boss there's a piece of the floor that's bombable. There's more to it than that but that's a start.
This was pretty cool to discover. My first thought was, "Who thinks of things like that?" Quite ingenious.

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
They're both Metroidvanias, but besides that, they're not that similar. I think HK is difficult because it's really stingy with upgrades and doesn't give you any hints for where you should go. Monster Boy is not like that.

Thank you for the info. But now I still don't know what to get tbh :D.
Monsterboy, Octopath traveler or Guagamelee? Also next month Tales of Vesperia...
To many games I want to play on the Switch.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is there a way of getting Pepelogoo back with you after completing the game/reloading checkpoint ? I need to get all the thunder truffles, but it doesn't look like the telescope one is possible without Pepelogoo.

Is it just a case of making sure you get this one before completing the haunted manor ?
You can get Pepelogoo back in the mansion.
Look for a mirror on the left side in a corridor near the start of the mansion.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Any advice on the bomb water puzzle at the bottom of The Falls? Even if I get the bomb heading towards the blocks it goes off randomly in the middle.

Also, where is the darkest woods with venomous creatures? I've looked around in lots of dark and wooded areas. It's a shame there isn't any way to get finer clues for the puzzles or progress in this game.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any advice on the bomb water puzzle at the bottom of The Falls? Even if I get the bomb heading towards the blocks it goes off randomly in the middle.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...pepelogoo-in-wonder-world.84731/post-16227566

IIRC the bomb moves a total of 6 directions.

Also, where is the darkest woods with venomous creatures? I've looked around in lots of dark and wooded areas. It's a shame there isn't any way to get finer clues for the puzzles or progress in this game.
Where you fought a venomous boss. Look at the map.
To the right of where you beat the snake boss there are breakable stones on the floor. IIRC there's even a warp pedastle on the same screen.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Time it takes you to play through can vastly differ based on how much you get stuck and how willing you are to follow guides. I was stuck in the mansion forever. How much you care about finding secrets can also have an effect, but unfortunately some of the most obtuse stuff in this game is critical path.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I am at 99.9% map completion ... the only bit missing from platinum and for the life of me I cannot locate that last bit of map I need :(