• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Update: 1.0.3 has been approved, the Nintendo Switch patch is live!

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this game yesterday. Loving it so far! Soundtrack is wonderful and the platforming is wonderful. Definitely see me trying to aim for 100% completion.

Just a question on the boss I just beat
Giant Frog boss
. He has a charge attack, and as he's huge it doesn't seem you can simply jump over it, how are you supposed to dodge it? Didn't matter in the end as I still beat it, I'm just curious.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Started playing this game yesterday. Loving it so far! Soundtrack is wonderful and the platforming is wonderful. Definitely see me trying to aim for 100% completion.

Just a question on the boss I just beat
Giant Frog boss
. He has a charge attack, and as he's huge it doesn't seem you can simply jump over it, how are you supposed to dodge it? Didn't matter in the end as I still beat it, I'm just curious.
You can avoid being hit by crouching (press down)

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game is really fucking good. I still generally prefer the art and music of the Dragon's Curse/Trap remake; but they held nothing back with this new entry. It's loaded with nostalgia, old ideas that worked great, and new ideas that work better and fit in beautifully with the classic gameplay. I'm VERY impressed. I also have two questions which I'll put in spoiler tags. They're about puzzles.

1) Inside the Sphinx, I believe in the path heading west, there's an area where you have to turn into a pig and do a butt slam to send a giant block crashing down. On the way down are four unlit torches. I've tried lighting them in a variety of ways, but nothing seems to happen and they do eventually time out and extinguish themselves. Am I missing something obvious, or is this just a whole lot of nothing?

2) Not long after you complete the Sphinx and unlock the Lion transformation, you access an area of slip and slide platforms and punch boxes to get back up, if need be. Before you do you can hit a switch to trigger a bunch of coins to appear on the way down. I got all those pretty easy. However, I also noticed that every time you flick the switch, a set of five (I think) gold sparkles show up down the slip and slide slopes. I have not been able to get all five before they time out and disappear. Is this something that's doable now with the Frog or Lion, or should I return with new traversal abilities? Best I can manage is four. But the last is so out of the way, that I don't have time to get all the way back up, and then back down to pick it up. And if I go for this one first, I don't have time to get all of the rest.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Managed to get to the end of the Haunted Manor (I think) as I have reached the
Undead Wizard boss
...although I am severely underpowered in terms of Heart containers ... need to backtrack in previous area to find all those hidden hearts :/

Without spoilers...how close am I to the end of the game ? My savegame only has 60-70% progress which means either I have a looooong way to go yet or I have missed alot of hidden areas. Game is so good though, I just wish I was better at the puzzly bits, they have been a struggle for me :(

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, this game is really fucking good. I still generally prefer the art and music of the Dragon's Curse/Trap remake; but they held nothing back with this new entry. It's loaded with nostalgia, old ideas that worked great, and new ideas that work better and fit in beautifully with the classic gameplay. I'm VERY impressed. I also have two questions which I'll put in spoiler tags. They're about puzzles.

1) Inside the Sphinx, I believe in the path heading west, there's an area where you have to turn into a pig and do a butt slam to send a giant block crashing down. On the way down are four unlit torches. I've tried lighting them in a variety of ways, but nothing seems to happen and they do eventually time out and extinguish themselves. Am I missing something obvious, or is this just a whole lot of nothing?

2) Not long after you complete the Sphinx and unlock the Lion transformation, you access an area of slip and slide platforms and punch boxes to get back up, if need be. Before you do you can hit a switch to trigger a bunch of coins to appear on the way down. I got all those pretty easy. However, I also noticed that every time you flick the switch, a set of five (I think) gold sparkles show up down the slip and slide slopes. I have not been able to get all five before they time out and disappear. Is this something that's doable now with the Frog or Lion, or should I return with new traversal abilities? Best I can manage is four. But the last is so out of the way, that I don't have time to get all the way back up, and then back down to pick it up. And if I go for this one first, I don't have time to get all of the rest.
1. I don't think it's anything since I've 100% the game twice without doing anything with it.

2. I've never been able to it at that point, even when I knew what I was doing during my second playthrough. If it's possible at that point then I'm just not good/patient enough.

Managed to get to the end of the Haunted Manor (I think) as I have reached the
Undead Wizard boss
...although I am severely underpowered in terms of Heart containers ... need to backtrack in previous area to find all those hidden hearts :/

Without spoilers...how close am I to the end of the game ? My savegame only has 60-70% progress which means either I have a looooong way to go yet or I have missed alot of hidden areas. Game is so good though, I just wish I was better at the puzzly bits, they have been a struggle for me :(
You're not far from the end but how long it takes you will really depend on if you remember where things are for something coming up. I didn't remember where something was the first time I played and it took me a long time to find it to be able to proceed. The game gives you great clues about where to go but I was just being stupid.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany

2)
Yes there's a secret here, we recommend wearing wizard boots with slow fall ability unlocked to collect the sparkling things

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
2)
Yes there's a secret here, we recommend wearing wizard boots with slow fall ability unlocked to collect the sparkling things

Hmmm, I'll have to double-check my gear. I think I only tried with double jump boots. Thank you.

Anything to say about my first question? Just a vestige of a canceled puzzle?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
2)

Sorry for the double post. Is there a known crash issue on PS4 with the current version of the game on the King Snake boss fight? Crashed twice on me during that fight. Not a single crash before or since. And I probably have 15 hours into the game now. I reported both via the PS4's report feature.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Sorry for the double post. Is there a known crash issue on PS4 with the current version of the game on the King Snake boss fight? Crashed twice on me during that fight. Not a single crash before or since. And I probably have 15 hours into the game now. I reported both via the PS4's report feature.
About your first question: there's no puzzle here, it's redundant - but yes it's a very inviting setup and I think we had a puzzle here in earlier days but over time we changed secrets and positions multiple times :p

As for the crash: There's no known issue here, do you play EU or USA version ? We can test play the fight a couple times. Is it pro or normal PS4? Was it King Frog or Snake (without ,King' wording) ?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I've listened to some of the soundtrack and those The Dragon's Trap remixes are freaking amazing. That soundtrack was so good

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
After a rough start, I've hit my stride. This game is amazing. HD rumble implementation is probably the best I've experienced in a long time. I tend to turn rumble off shortly after starting games due to the annoyance factor, but here I find it almost essential in its subtlety.

Definitely climbing the GOTY charts for me, and unless it falls apart, will certainly make my top 10.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally knocked this one out. Last boss wasn't hard once I knew what to do, but it's long so that trial and error got me mad for a bit.

22 hours with 60-some percent completion. It's a pretty hefty game. I enjoyed it a lot other than spending too much time banging my head against the Ghost mansion.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
About your first question: there's no puzzle here, it's redundant - but yes it's a very inviting setup and I think we had a puzzle here in earlier days but over time we changed secrets and positions multiple times :p

As for the crash: There's no known issue here, do you play EU or USA version ? We can test play the fight a couple times. Is it pro or normal PS4? Was it King Frog or Snake (without ,King' wording) ? just

Thanks again!

Sorry, it was the whack-a-mole snake boss. Game is current (1.03, I think?) PS4 Pro on firmware 6.20 with Boost Mode and Supersampling turned on. 1080P HDTV. PSVR2's breakout box. Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, like 2 days ago I posted I only has an issue equipping items which has a 2-second loading time. Lo and behold, there's an update available right now and it fixes this problem completely! So no complaints from me anymore!

/edit: I guess a was a bit too presumtuous, equipping swords is instant, but boots and other things still take a few seconds. Oh well, no big deal anyway.

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I finally got past the haunted Manor and onto the Dark Realm, discovered I
needed all the golden weapon pieces to proceed
. Luckily I already had most of them, so only had to collect a couple more :) I feel the end is very close....I have enjoyed every moment of it (Yes, even all those frustrating puzzle sections in the Haunted Manor and the frustrating platorm-y bits in the Volcano).

Thomas: Maybe it is way too early to ask something like this...but based on the marvellous reception this game has gotten, are there any plans in the future for a follow up ? I just hope the sales are at a point where this can be even considered.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I finally got past the haunted Manor and onto the Dark Realm, discovered I
needed all the golden weapon pieces to proceed
. Luckily I already had most of them, so only had to collect a couple more :) I feel the end is very close....I have enjoyed every moment of it (Yes, even all those frustrating puzzle sections in the Haunted Manor and the frustrating platorm-y bits in the Volcano).

Thomas: Maybe it is way too early to ask something like this...but based on the marvellous reception this game has gotten, are there any plans in the future for a follow up ? I just hope the sales are at a point where this can be even considered.
Congrats on your progress!! We're really happy about the games reception but instead of starting the next project we're still focusing on fine tuning Monster Boy - making use of all the great feedback that we received so far. Then we're going to release a demo and we make a PC version. We'll take good care of this game before we start the next one. Maybe it will be Monster Boy 2 but it's too early to say that ;)

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thomas Kern game is glitched on both Switch and PS4. 100% everything found and still missing one of the Power Gems to upgrade everything. It leaves the final screen with a completion of 99.8%. I was able to upgrade everything the first time I beat it but not since then.

EDIT:
I believe you might have missed the power gem that you receive for free from an NPC (in front of the blacksmith/Lupia) ;)
Yep, that was it.

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Congrats on your progress!! We're really happy about the games reception but instead of starting the next project we're still focusing on fine tuning Monster Boy - making use of all the great feedback that we received so far. Then we're going to release a demo and we make a PC version. We'll take good care of this game before we start the next one. Maybe it will be Monster Boy 2 but it's too early to say that ;)

A wonderful idea, it is so nice to see the devs taking care of their game post release and also lovely to see how receptive you are to the players on here. Finished the game just now as well, that final boss is quite a challenge (but not too bad once you figure out what you should be doing)

I will start a new playthrough soon, but for now, I am happy to have completed the game (although my completion stats is only 64.1% haha) and I need to give my poor fingers and brain a rest :) What can I say, I'm an old gamer with bad reflexes....

43h12m7s playtime all up (Yes, I got stuck in the puzzle sections for quite some time). Bravo to FDG & Game Atelier for making the best game of 2018 :D

On a sidenote: some people on here earlier were saying you could continue playing after finishing the game...for some reason my game didnt do that. I got hte credit roll after the end cinematic and it went straight back to the title screen. I hit continue and it resumed at my last checkpoint (just before the final boss room) ?

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On a sidenote: some people on here earlier were saying you could continue playing after finishing the game...for some reason my game didnt do that. I got hte credit roll after the end cinematic and it went straight back to the title screen. I hit continue and it resumed at my last checkpoint (just before the final boss room) ?
That's what we meant when we said you can continue. You can now go around finding everything you missed then you can beat the final boss again and see your updated time/completion/deaths/etc.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Thomas Kern game is glitched on both Switch and PS4. 100% everything found and still missing one of the Power Gems to upgrade everything. It leaves the final screen with a completion of 99.8%. I was able to upgrade everything the first time I beat it but not since then.
I believe you might have missed the power gem that you receive for free from an NPC (in front of the blacksmith/Lupia) ;)

BaneofSakurai

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
I absolutely loved this game until Volcano and Haunted place. The game went from pleasant to brutally difficult.
I've died 50 times in the same area and I have no desire to continue..

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
The volcano legit took me a few hours to clear and I loved every bit of it. Huge sense of satisfaction when done. And the uh... Easter egg sequence immediately following it legit made me laugh out loud. Awesome nod to a bastard step-child of the franchise.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I absolutely loved this game until Volcano and Haunted place. The game went from pleasant to brutally difficult.
I've died 50 times in the same area and I have no desire to continue..
Take your time and remember that you can use your teleport staff anytime to refill HP and Elixir and return to the exact place where you left. Check your equipment, there's always a trick to make things easier.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the volcano. Have no idea what I'm supposed to do, so I'm wandering around the world collecting stuff to clear my head. Hopefully it will make more sense later. Feels like I'm missing something completely obvious.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. There's always a trick. Game rewards exploration of all of your options. It's easy to stick to your favorite gear and try to brute force your way through things. But sometimes the better option is to revisit old locations with new traversal abilities and get those extra heart containers and upgrade materials to juice up your other gear. And diversify your combat options.

For the Volcano, I would hope you're rocking the Ice Blade and all available Ice gear. Especially the upgraded Ice Bracelet...

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Too Lazy, Didn't Google (TLDG?): Is this a remake of an older Monster Boy game or a new entry in the series?

How is the pick up and play aspect?
(is this something I want on my Switch to play on my lunch break at the office, or at home on the Xbox?)

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Brand new, and massive. Last year's entry was a remake of sorts.

Runs pretty great on all platforms. I'm playing on PS4, but it's a perfect Switch game.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
About finished with the haunted mansion and I have to say this sits up there as one of the best games this year. You can tell a lot of love went into this and as a backer of the Flying Hamster game I am very impressed with how this game turned out. Just Amazing!!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For the Volcano, I would hope you're rocking the Ice Blade and all available Ice gear. Especially the upgraded Ice Bracelet...
I just discovered that when you die, you keep all your money, so I went down that initial drop like 10+ times to earn enough money to buy all the ice gear. Felt like the Mario Odyssey coin loop. LOL

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered that when you die, you keep all your money, so I went down that initial drop like 10+ times to earn enough money to buy all the ice gear. Felt like the Mario Odyssey coin loop. LOL

The Volcano actually has a great gold farm spot, especially with the coin doubler perk equipped.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The Volcano actually has a great gold farm spot, especially with the coin doubler perk equipped.
OMG, I just realized I was double-jumping before using the tongue swing, so I couldn't jump up after release. I'm such an idiot. All good now!

Edit: Wow, this area is like the final challenges of SteamWorld Dig 2. This is hard. LOL

Edit 2: Snake not jumping from surface to surface the way I expect is infuriating. Making me really hate this game right now. :(

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Edit 2: Snake not jumping from surface to surface the way I expect is infuriating. Making me really hate this game right now. :(

The snake behaviour almost plays exactly the same as mouse-man in the Dragon's Trap. If you are landing on a stickable surface while holding the direction towards it, it will stick...otherwise, he'll fall. Kinda hard to explain, but it sometimes take a little bit to get used to. The decision to make it play exactly like mouse man I'm sure would have been intentional :)

Persevere with it, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and it certainly isn't a reason to hate the entire game for.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
OMG, I just realized I was double-jumping before using the tongue swing, so I couldn't jump up after release. I'm such an idiot. All good now!

Edit: Wow, this area is like the final challenges of SteamWorld Dig 2. This is hard. LOL

I last played two nights ago, and it legit took me a few hours to fully clear the Volcano. Loved, it though.
And the sequence immediately after. Man. lol