• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So.... is this a glitch or what? There's a space here but i can't jump there...
j5pAZOo.jpg

I'm trying to find a golden part and it's the only suspicious space in encountered in the green circle :

UYLaP2b.jpg

You can tell me if it's not there, but don't give me the answer, thanks!

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Started playing yesterday. Really love it so far, but wow that volcano area is hard xD Great stuff! Also really dig the Soundtrack!

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally got past the Volcano....goddam, that area was doing my head in. So tough in spots, that was some of the hardest platforming I have played in a long time....almost feels like a reprieve now that I am in the castle (it just feels far more relaxed compared).

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Yes you need the dragon talisman and you'll get it in the living room. You must find the living room key
I finally realized what blocked me for hours in the haunted mansion.
that damned statue on the conveyor belt.
I tried it several times with the lions dash but it didn't work, so I assumed I had to wait until I can use the flame statue next to it.
but you can simply push the statue :O

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just finished the game, overall it was fantastic, the adventures, secrets, the music, loved it, it's full of charm!
The final was a bit weak though, it should have been a bit longer and challenging! While all the remixes were great, i wish there were a bit more original ones, but still great soundtrack!

Also, this lame-ass effect on the final boss that make the game run at 30 fps on switch was really unnecessary, they should patch it out for some fixed background or something!

Sadly it seems i have a glitch, stuck a 99.8 % completion, the chest where there's a "?" on the map is already open but it didn't count it

Last edited:

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I am glad also Giant Bomb finally did a Quick Look...more people need to know about this game. The developers deserve the recognition for this great game.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP with Giant Bomb Quick Look

Well I'm so glad I bought this game physically for PS4. Been playing it on twitch and just got to what I assume is the last area.
Through the haunted mansion and got the relics. Now I'm in the dark world.
Really suprised by the difficulty curve, the Volcano area by far caught me off guard the most for instance. Died a lot and got a great rush learning the areas. Takes me back to the 16/32bit era of games. The music is just ace, simply amazing. Awesome tracks from Michiru Yamane, Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba and the rest!

I never opened my Limited Run copy of Wonderboy and the Dragons Trap. But some of the story bits make me want to now... May have suck it up and download it depending on how fast I beat this game. Haha.

If you want to get more out of Monster Boy's story, Monster World IV is the game you should play. Dragon's Trap doesn't have much to do with Monster Boy's story.

Last edited:

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Updated OP with Giant Bomb Quick Look

If you want to get more out of Monster Boy's story, Monster World IV is the game you should play. Dragon's Trap doesn't have much to do with Monster Boy's story.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be plans for a remake.

Beat Monster Boy tonight! Trophies seem easy enough I think I'll keep going for the platinum trophy.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pity there doesn't seem to be plans for a remake.

Beat Monster Boy tonight! Trophies seem easy enough I think I'll keep going for the platinum trophy.

I'd love a MWIV remake. As far as story and characters go, that's my favorite in the series. Put WayForward, LizardCube, or these guys on it, and I'm sure it would turn out great.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I finally realized what blocked me for hours in the haunted mansion.
that damned statue on the conveyor belt.
I tried it several times with the lions dash but it didn't work, so I assumed I had to wait until I can use the flame statue next to it.
but you can simply push the statue :O

OK we'll improve this. Thanks for reporting your issue here!

Just finished the game, overall it was fantastic, the adventures, secrets, the music, loved it, it's full of charm!

Sadly it seems i have a glitch, stuck a 99.8 % completion, the chest where there's a "?" on the map is already open but it didn't count it

This glitch is fixed with the latest patch but it's not out on Switch yet, unfortunately. Nintendo has the patch in test and let's hope it's approved very soon!

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Debating about picking this up for my switch. How is the framerate and im assuming its not a battery killer right?

the framerate is always at 60 fps, there some really small drops at some key moments but it's not that noticeable, it plays great on switch!! The only problem is the final boss where it runs at 30 fps

OK we'll improve this. Thanks for reporting your issue here!

This glitch is fixed with the latest patch but it's not out on Switch yet, unfortunately. Nintendo has the patch in test and let's hope it's approved very soon!

Cool, just waiting for the patch then!! Nice to see you're watching the thread, your work with fdg and gameatlier is amazing, thanks again for this game!

Any comment about the framerate of the final boss? I know it must be tricky to do, so sorry in advance, but i'm sure this could be fixed in some way, it's a shame the final challenge is a bit ruined by the framerate like that (it's not unplayable, but it doesn't look good)

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
the framerate is always at 60 fps, there some really small drops at some key moments but it's not that noticeable, it plays great on switch!! The only problem is the final boss where it runs at 30 fps

Cool, just waiting for the patch then!! Nice to see you're watching the thread, your work with fdg and gameatlier is amazing, thanks again for this game!

Any comment about the framerate of the final boss? I know it must be tricky to do, so sorry in advance, but i'm sure this could be fixed in some way, it's a shame the final challenge is a bit ruined by the framerate like that (it's not unplayable, but it doesn't look good)
You're welcome! Thank you for sharing your positive impressions. The framerate isn't supposed to drop so we'll optimize this part. Actually it was super smooth when I played it recently so perhaps some other circumstance caused the framedrop..

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Debating about picking this up for my switch. How is the framerate and im assuming its not a battery killer right?
The framerate is 60fps so you'll have a very smooth experience (currently looking into the report of framerate drop in an endboss scene though). Battery consumption is slightly above average so you can play pretty long on a battery charge.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
You're welcome! Thank you for sharing your positive impressions. The framerate isn't supposed to drop so we'll optimize this part. Actually it was super smooth when I played it recently so perhaps some other circumstance caused the framedrop..

Weird, cause right when the background is changing after the boss starts (the blue one), it instantly goes down to 30 fps, and i fought the boss multiple time...

the only part where it goes back to 60 fps is with the snake form (where you don't see the blue backround much) and the last phase of the battle where the background goes back to normal

It's definitely the background effect that makes it slow down like that! Again, playing on switch!

Thanks again for listening to us!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started this yesterday after finishing up Torna: the Golden Country. As expected, it's pretty great; really smooth on the Switch and it really feels like a love-letter to the series. I wish equipping items was a bit faster (there's a 1-or 2-second loading time every time you equip something), but that's really the extent of my issues right now. Full day of work ahead, but then it's back to the game!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I loved this so much that I 100% it again from the beginning this weekend on my other profile because there are no save slots on the Switch. First 100% = 23 hours and the second 100% = 12 hours.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

The framerate so far is flawless for me. IMO, for this game the Switch version is worth it for the HD Rumble alone. Things like the that feeling of splashing water, or the soft pulsating sense when I only have heart left is great!

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Stuck in the haunted mansion, does anyone have any tips ? Essentially I *think* I know what I need to do in regards to directing the light beam....but one of the little statue/mirror things is stuck on a bit of ledge and cannot be moved into the beams path...I have tried lion jumping from below, lion dashing etc etc but nothing moves it. I cant be any more descriptive than that, at work so cant take s.shots....possibly people will know the place.

I do not have that dragon talisman yet....and I think I need that to light up all those little fire statues (for what reason I am not sure yet)...but I have no idea how to get the Talisman either. I think it has something to do with the large knight statue near where you enter the mansion, but there doesnt appear to be a manipulation portal thing in the same area. I tried activating one off one screen over, but once you cross the threshold the effect disappears

These puzzle sections are [pretty difficult I have to say, not really enjoying them at all as I get too frustrated when I cannot make progress haha

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Stuck in the haunted mansion, does anyone have any tips ? Essentially I *think* I know what I need to do in regards to directing the light beam....but one of the little statue/mirror things is stuck on a bit of ledge and cannot be moved into the beams path...I have tried lion jumping from below, lion dashing etc etc but nothing moves it. I cant be any more descriptive than that, at work so cant take s.shots....possibly people will know the place.

I do not have that dragon talisman yet....and I think I need that to light up all those little fire statues (for what reason I am not sure yet)...but I have no idea how to get the Talisman either. I think it has something to do with the large knight statue near where you enter the mansion, but there doesnt appear to be a manipulation portal thing in the same area. I tried activating one off one screen over, but once you cross the threshold the effect disappears

These puzzle sections are [pretty difficult I have to say, not really enjoying them at all as I get too frustrated when I cannot make progress haha
Directing the light and using the 'mirror' shield is the main puzzle of the Western Zone of the Haunted Mansion. Pushing statues never requires the lion, not even on conveyor belts..

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I was struggling so much early on in the pig form (kept on dying), but I got over the hump, and now I've been moving along pretty well. I really like the more puzzle-based elements of some of these rooms. They're fun and rewarding to figure out. Music is so catchy. Hoping to finish this before year's end.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Directing the light and using the 'mirror' shield is the main puzzle of the Western Zone of the Haunted Mansion. Pushing statues never requires the lion, not even on conveyor belts..

Straight from the horses mouth, thanks for that Thomas. I'll keep persevering with it. The puzzle sections are not bad, it's more my own frustration more than anything else....I'm sure once I work them out I'll feel like a complete idiot

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Finally got to play the game some yesterday, ahhh the music, ahhh the feeeels. <3

So wonderful. Game is absolutely gorgeous to look at and plays exactly how I imagined a new Monster World game should.

I mentioned on Twitter, the gaming industry can be shitty some times... but then other times stuff works out and you end up with awesome stuff you never dreamed would happen!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to play the game some yesterday, ahhh the music, ahhh the feeeels. <3

So wonderful. Game is absolutely gorgeous to look at and plays exactly how I imagined a new Monster World game should.

I mentioned on Twitter, the gaming industry can be shitty some times... but then other times stuff works out and you end up with awesome stuff you never dreamed would happen!

Where did that case art come from for Wonderboy??? Love it!!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Where did that case art come from for Wonderboy??? Love it!!

It's just the retro reversible cover for Dragon's Trap, I have my one set to that! I love the fact that the back is a mirror of the normal back cover - replaces all the screenshots 'advertising' the game with retro 8bit screens and just has a tiny box saying also features a 'modern mode' haha.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's just the retro reversible cover for Dragon's Trap, I have my one set to that! I love the fact that the back is a mirror of the normal back cover - replaces all the screenshots 'advertising' the game with retro 8bit screens and just has a tiny box saying also features a 'modern mode' haha.
I haven't opened mine lol. Now you made me do it...

Here it is next to two Golf Story games, unopened. One is from Best Buy and the other from LRG.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last boss is a long and brutal slog. Especially because the early minutes of the fight are so easy.

I have really enjoyed this game, but that mansion dungeon was almost too much for me. It's not that the puzzles were unfair but there's so many of them and you don't know what's solvable at any given point, or what order to take things on in, so it's a lot of frustration guessing at what to concentrate on. Treasure hunting for crafting parts after that was a pleasant change of pace, but now this boss is making me want to kill things.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Question, does pig form ever get any enhancements? Or equipment that works with the form and helps it keep up at any point

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
The last boss is a long and brutal slog. Especially because the early minutes of the fight are so easy.

I have really enjoyed this game, but that mansion dungeon was almost too much for me. It's not that the puzzles were unfair but there's so many of them and you don't know what's solvable at any given point, or what order to take things on in, so it's a lot of frustration guessing at what to concentrate on. Treasure hunting for crafting parts after that was a pleasant change of pace, but now this boss is making me want to kill things.
We're thinking about adding some kind of 'point of interest' guidance to the Haunted Mansion to avoid getting lost there. It's just like during development we're listening carefully to all your feedback. The end boss stages are doable if you find the main trick behind each of them, good luck! ^_^

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
No Equipment. You´ll find 5 Spells in total and can max out the capacity of them, that´s it.
Not 100% correct because the pig (and snake) can still wear bracelets. However, the main point is right as the pig is mostly mage and secret sniffer after you unlocked multiple forms with better combat abilities.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
So, I seem to have hit a late game bug.
I got the 3 artifacts, and went to the church to put them down. Confused as to what to do, I left, and I saw Magicat standing outside! Couldn't talk to him despite the button prompt though, went back in, followed Aeana's advice to do a ground pound on the alter, and was able to go downstairs and put the artifacts down, and go into the castle. I think there was supposed to be an additional cutscene too? Ah well, Magicat's gone from outside and Abigoat is congratulating me.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
So, I seem to have hit a late game bug.
I got the 3 artifacts, and went to the church to put them down. Confused as to what to do, I left, and I saw Magicat standing outside! Couldn't talk to him despite the button prompt though, went back in, followed Aeana's advice to do a ground pound on the alter, and was able to go downstairs and put the artifacts down, and go into the castle. I think there was supposed to be an additional cutscene too? Ah well, Magicat's gone from outside and Abigoat is congratulating me.
That's right you ran into a quest glitch but luckily it hit in a moment where it can't damage your progress anymore. Yo can continue and finish the game without waiting for the patch to be approved from Nintendo. 1.0.3 will have this fixed.