• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my friend a copy as an early Christmas present and he has been playing it on stream. He and the viewers are really enjoying it, seems a bunch of them want to buy it now.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ok, got it with the magic chests! So what are the Rainbow Drops for? :) Or should I not know yet?
You'll learn but if you really want to know.

There's a shop where you can trade them for marks on your map where secrets (chests, music sheets, etc) are hidden.

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game this morning after reading Dark1x and DarknessTear impression of the game. I can't wait to try it out.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the main game today and it was absolutely fantastic. It's easily one of my favourites of the year.

The soundtrack in this game is something else. There's so many great tunes to hum along to and each of them suits their setting perfectly.

I'm dabbling with trying to get 100% but I've already got a brick wall with this area.

DuZnFHvU8AA64P3

I've tried to reach the ? area beneath where I'm stood but there's lava underneath.

DuZnKgLUYAAMy4r

It was the area that was filling with lava and you originally had to sprint to the left before it caught you. It looks like I need to get back down in that area but the lava has never drained/went back down.

Am I looking in the right area and the lava has somehow glitched or am I way off course and should be looking else where?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I finished the main game today and it was absolutely fantastic. It's easily one of my favourites of the year.

The soundtrack in this game is something else. There's so many great tunes to hum along to and each of them suits their setting perfectly.

I'm dabbling with trying to get 100% but I've already got a brick wall with this area.

DuZnFHvU8AA64P3

I've tried to reach the ? area beneath where I'm stood but there's lava underneath.

DuZnKgLUYAAMy4r

It was the area that was filling with lava and you originally had to sprint to the left before it caught you. It looks like I need to get back down in that area but the lava has never drained/went back down.

Am I looking in the right area and the lava has somehow glitched or am I way off course and should be looking else where?
You should be looking elsewhere.

Notice the door on your map?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the hint. I was worried my game was glitched.
For future reference.

IIRC a door on the map without a line connecting it to something else (another door or a secret) means you've never entered it. If there's nothing at the end of the line on your map then that means you entered the door but never found the secret at the other end.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm doing something really wrong so far. Still super early, didn't have much difficulty until I got to the Green Fields section of the map on the way to Misty Woods, was having a blast, but this is making me want to delete this game — and I'm not totally awful at this genre or anything; I was able to beat Hollow Knight.

The screen where you're chased by the clouds raining fire was bad enough, since killing the clouds wasn't even a viable strategy since they respawn almost instantly, but the tar pits are annoying, too. I'm on presumably the last screen of the area with 1 heart left and the two enemies I killed in the water dropped hearts that glitchily floated away through the terrain.

Struggling to go forward, and going back to town would be way too much of a pain with the clouds. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this game just isn't for me, I dunno. Feels like I have zero options to deal with anything (and I've used the pig's sniffing on every inch of the screens to see if I'm missing something obvious).

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I feel like I'm doing something really wrong so far. Still super early, didn't have much difficulty until I got to the Green Fields section of the map on the way to Misty Woods, was having a blast, but this is making me want to delete this game — and I'm not totally awful at this genre or anything; I was able to beat Hollow Knight.

The screen where you're chased by the clouds raining fire was bad enough, since killing the clouds wasn't even a viable strategy since they respawn almost instantly, but the tar pits are annoying, too. I'm on presumably the last screen of the area with 1 heart left and the two enemies I killed in the water dropped hearts that glitchily floated away through the terrain.

Struggling to go forward, and going back to town would be way too much of a pain with the clouds. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this game just isn't for me, I dunno. Feels like I have zero options to deal with anything (and I've used the pig's sniffing on every inch of the screens to see if I'm missing something obvious).

It's not you, this game is pretty brutal.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

From the other thread.

In terms of class, the Pig form in Monster Boy is basically a mage. Super low defense, super low offense, but he's the only character in the game with real access to magic. You can level up his MP throughout the game, and by the end, he's actually pretty legit at being a ranged character for it.

So yeah, it's sort of hard to play as him early on, but that's sort of the truth about every Wonder Boy game. The beginning of the games, you are always weak, with crappy powers, and usually slow to boot. Like the Dragon in The Dragon's Trap couldn't even carry a shield.

Once you get to the Frog Man, things really take on a more traditional feel and you start feeling really agile and powerful. The Frog Man basically is the Hook Shot from Zelda, which gives you a long ranged offensive and defensive weapon. For insect based enemies, like mosquitoes, the frog tongue is basically the strongest weapon in the game, killing them instantly. But for non-insect weapons, it doesn't deal any damage, but instead knocks them back like a 0HP hit. Even though it doesn't deal damage, it's still super useful because you can knock enemies off ledges with it, or cancel their attack animation which will essentially stop them from attacking. It can also grab items and weapons off of other enemies. The forms are freely available for you to switch between, so having the frog ensures you always have a way to keep range, and you get the frog relatively early in the game. The Frog form is also when swords and spears and stuff open to you.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
For future reference.

IIRC a door on the map without a line connecting it to something else (another door or a secret) means you've never entered it. If there's nothing at the end of the line on your map then that means you entered the door but never found the secret at the other end.

Cheers. I'll keep that in mind.

I found what I was looking for straight away once I stopped searching where I thought it should be. It was pretty obvious thanks to the first tip you gave me about the door.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly that area is so much more bearable if you use a potion throughout, then the clouds can't affect you.

Anyway, I finished the game myself about an hour ago, had a great time with it. There were a few rather frustrating moments that really annoyed the hell out of me, and I thought the ending lead up to the final boss needlessly dragged on, but overall it was superb.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany

Some tips if you missed 2 heart containers and play the forest with 3 hearts. Fill up your fire magic in the underground passage between Westfield and forest. Use it against the mud enemies. The game also saves your progress when you get new magic truffles and the next one is after 3 forest screens so it's not far. Save spot always refills 3 hearts when respawning. Use pigs stomp attack in the mid you can reposition it slightly in air which gives you more time outside the mud and lets you jump high when hitting a mud enemy on the head. Don't forget to use magic regularly.

Fr1zzank

Nov 20, 2017
Just popped the platinum, and this was an incredibly surprising experience! I had high hopes, and this surpassed them handily. The art and music are wonderful, and all the references to older games really hit me right in my nostalgia. This game is no cakewalk, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I enjoyed the challenge. I'm definitely going to do all I can to spread the Monster Boy love!

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Just popped the platinum, and this was an incredibly surprising experience! I had high hopes, and this surpassed them handily. The art and music are wonderful, and all the references to older games really hit me right in my nostalgia. This game is no cakewalk, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I enjoyed the challenge. I'm definitely going to do all I can to spread the Monster Boy love!
Thank you so much - also to everyone here supporting us. We made it for y'all and are so happy you enjoy the game ^_^ It's our main motivation to do what we do <3

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone give me a hint at what to do in the Volcano, where Prof. Leveratt is studying a cracked wall?

The next room has a lava waterfall, and I have full ice gear, except for the boots (which don't seem to be for sale anywhere). I got the hint that I can create ice blocks on the lava fall, but it's too far away for me to do that without taking damage.

EDIT: Nevermind - there are ledges to the left and right of that room - sometimes it's really hard to spot ledges in this game because they blend so well with the background :-)

Last edited:

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Just 100% the game at 20 hours. It took a bit to get everything but thanks to some guides I was able to get it all. This game is so freaking good and...

That Asha tease at the end...Monster Boy 2 can't come soon enough.

Though I am curious is there a particular reason why they couldn't call this game Wonder Boy or Monster World? I mean these games are directly reference in Monster Boy even by name. I was thinking copyrights was going to hold it back but apparently...no? Weird creative choice, though I suppose since it's been so long since we've gotten a new Monster World game that I understand the concept of rebranding it as something different.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just 100% the game at 20 hours. It took a bit to get everything but thanks to some guides I was able to get it all. This game is so freaking good and...

That Asha tease at the end...Monster Boy 2 can't come soon enough.

Though I am curious is there a particular reason why they couldn't call this game Wonder Boy or Monster World? I mean these games are directly reference in Monster Boy even by name. I was thinking copyrights was going to hold it back but apparently...no? Weird creative choice, though I suppose since it's been so long since we've gotten a new Monster World game that I understand the concept of rebranding it as something different.

It's the Wonder Boy trademark that is being held by someone else in some countries. They had the right to everything else.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Some tips if you missed 2 heart containers and play the forest with 3 hearts. Fill up your fire magic in the underground passage between Westfield and forest. Use it against the mud enemies. The game also saves your progress when you get new magic truffles and the next one is after 3 forest screens so it's not far. Save spot always refills 3 hearts when respawning. Use pigs stomp attack in the mid you can reposition it slightly in air which gives you more time outside the mud and lets you jump high when hitting a mud enemy on the head. Don't forget to use magic regularly.

Thanks for the advice!

I guess I did somehow miss the two heart containers, because I do have three hearts. Managed to backtrack to town and bought the bracelet. Tried going back and exploring the sewers fully looking for heart contains, but didn't turn up anything new. Any hints on where they are? Three hearts is rough.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the advice!

I guess I did somehow miss the two heart containers, because I do have three hearts. Managed to backtrack to town and bought the bracelet. Tried going back and exploring the sewers fully looking for heart contains, but didn't turn up anything new. Any hints on where they are? Three hearts is rough.
One off the top of my head,

Remember that ghost you followed and sniffed out with the pig? You didn't follow it to all its hiding places in the sewers.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Thomas Kern
I think the newest patch might have broken part of the Volcano? A friend of mine was streaming and he was doing the puzzle correctly but the block still sank in the geyser thing. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349132208 (Last 20ish minutes of stream.)

He did it multiple ways, but ended up giving up for the night.

Logbomb

Feb 9, 2018
The latest patch on PS4 successfully fixed the ? chest bug for me, I just had to go to the specific area and it removed the ? from the map and replaced it with an open chest. So I was finally able to reach 100%
and see the extended ending
What a game! As a huge Wonder Boy and Monster World fan I was hoping it would be good but WOW, it was much better than I was expecting.

I really took my time with this one and appreciated every moment.

Last edited:

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished the game with 24 hours / 100%.

Was great. DQXI still my goty, but this is a close second.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I am missing something stupid obvious. (Relatively early in at the crystal caves with the snake and pig form only.)

Big vertical shaft where an elevator platform takes me straight up, but fans blowing heavy drafts of air keep knocking me off the small elevator and there is nothing seemingly I could do. Feels like there should be something obvious I am not seeing here? There is nothing in this shaft except the elevator and the fans. Can't do anything on the platform in both forms to prevent the wind knocking me off.

What am I not seeing?

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Thomas Kern
I think the newest patch might have broken part of the Volcano? A friend of mine was streaming and he was doing the puzzle correctly but the block still sank in the geyser thing. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349132208 (Last 20ish minutes of stream.)

He did it multiple ways, but ended up giving up for the night.
It's not a progress block just a very unfortunate physics reaction. The correct way is to make the lava crust with ice boots first (right next to the geyser) and then drop the block on it so it goes on top of the geyser. Unfortunately just when he had the setting right, the block didn't slide to the end of the platform after catapulting it there with lion upward Dash. So when he dashed against the block twice it had too much momentum so it didn't smash on the lava crust first and pushed the geyser down. We'll improve this level

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I'm missing 2 final ? on my game and I just want check if these are both commonly glitched ones. One is a Coin Chest and the other a Music Sheet.

The Coin Chest is right near the warp point in the Volcano. You freeze the lavafall and its hidden there. I've already opened the chest but the ? is still there.

The music sheet is in the piano in the mansion. I've already picked it up but the ? remains and there's no sheet there. I also can't hand in the sheet to the NPC.

Am I stuck until the patch arrives for the Switch version?

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I am missing something stupid obvious. (Relatively early in at the crystal caves with the snake and pig form only.)

Big vertical shaft where an elevator platform takes me straight up, but fans blowing heavy drafts of air keep knocking me off the small elevator and there is nothing seemingly I could do. Feels like there should be something obvious I am not seeing here? There is nothing in this shaft except the elevator and the fans. Can't do anything on the platform in both forms to prevent the wind knocking me off.

What am I not seeing?

I just came back to that later with the Dragon.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What am I not seeing?

Use heavy boots

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I'm missing 2 final ? on my game and I just want check if these are both commonly glitched ones. One is a Coin Chest and the other a Music Sheet.

The Coin Chest is right near the warp point in the Volcano. You freeze the lavafall and its hidden there. I've already opened the chest but the ? is still there.

The music sheet is in the piano in the mansion. I've already picked it up but the ? remains and there's no sheet there. I also can't hand in the sheet to the NPC.

Am I stuck until the patch arrives for the Switch version?
Yes the Switch patch is needed to resolve the question mark issue.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind what I've played so far (through the sewers), but man, the OST is just *not* working for me on any level. The loops are driving me insane.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What am I not seeing?

I just came back to that later when I had the dragon.

There is another spot later on with something similar, except it's a flower blowing you instead. To get past that, just use projectile magic as the pig.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to get a physical copy but it seems sold out everywhere. Does anyone know if they're going to do a second print run?

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Just booted up the game on PS4 with the new patch. The question marks were still on the map after initial load, but once I visited the areas they disappered and got replaced by proper icons. Now I've truly 100%ed the game, and gained my first PS4 platinum. Thanks!

One bug that I don't think has been mentioned - some times shooting fireballs in dragon form doesn't work until you've used flame breath.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Im in haunted mansion, bottom right corner there is a snake hole blocked by a skull block. How do I remove it?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Im in haunted mansion, bottom right corner there is a snake hole blocked by a skull block. How do I remove it?
I'll just quote myself from above.

I can't remember the first one but I remember the second one because it was the last chest I got there.

I wasted so much time trying to enter from near the generator but it's not there.

2nd hint: Go to the left side to see the exit snake hole that's blocked by the block on the right side of the wall and look around.

3rd hint: Bath tub.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this earlier. Wonderful game, and one of my favorite takes on a Metroidvania of this entire sidescrolling renaissance in the last 10 years. Very charming art and animation, great music, clever puzzles, and well paced character progression. All those years in development come through not only in the visual overhaul, but the moment-to-moment game direction, which is often a tough ask for metroidvanias that tend to fall victim to dull hallway crawling and locked paths as the main gameplay loop. The constant problem solving- whether through monster form specific mechanics, one-off puzzles, traversal challenges, dungeon puzzle loops, set pieces, combat sections, boss fights, and secrets- is executed with precision here, never drawing any one particular element out for too long, but also continuing to layer on itself hour after hour, returning to and remixing ideas from beginning to end even as each new environment peppers the adventure with its own particular gimmicks. It manages to combine that "every new screen is a new challenge" idea with the interconnected structure typical of the genre, two styles that aren't often a combined goal for a 15-20 hour campaign. Pure joy.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Finished this earlier. Wonderful game, and one of my favorite takes on a Metroidvania of this entire sidescrolling renaissance in the last 10 years. Very charming art and animation, great music, clever puzzles, and well paced character progression. All those years in development come through not only in the visual overhaul, but the moment-to-moment game direction, which is often a tough ask for metroidvanias that tend to fall victim to dull hallway crawling and locked paths as the main gameplay loop. The constant problem solving- whether through monster form specific mechanics, one-off puzzles, traversal challenges, dungeon puzzle loops, set pieces, combat sections, boss fights, and secrets- is executed with precision here, never drawing any one particular element out for too long, but also continuing to layer on itself hour after hour, returning to and remixing ideas from beginning to end even as each new environment peppers the adventure with its own particular gimmicks. It manages to combine that "every new screen is a new challenge" idea with the interconnected structure typical of the genre, two styles that aren't often a combined goal for a 15-20 hour campaign. Pure joy.
Thank you very much for sharing your positive impressions and congratulations on finishing the game! ^_^

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I'm stuck in the haunted mansion. I got pepelogoo and the mirror shield but I have no idea where to progress next.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The game is still available but some stores just didn't order enough because they didn't think it was a good game. Tell them to order it! ;)

Well I'm so glad I bought this game physically for PS4. Been playing it on twitch and just got to what I assume is the last area.
Through the haunted mansion and got the relics. Now I'm in the dark world.
Really suprised by the difficulty curve, the Volcano area by far caught me off guard the most for instance. Died a lot and got a great rush learning the areas. Takes me back to the 16/32bit era of games. The music is just ace, simply amazing. Awesome tracks from Michiru Yamane, Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba and the rest!

I never opened my Limited Run copy of Wonderboy and the Dragons Trap. But some of the story bits make me want to now... May have suck it up and download it depending on how fast I beat this game. Haha.