• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I picked this game up on the weekend for PS4 and haven't hardly put it down. As a 80s/90s kid who played alot of the WonderBoy series in the arcades and on Sega consoles...I have to say Game Atelier nailed it with Monster Boy, it truly is a new WonderBoy in the modern age, totally faithful to the originals

Well done guys if you are reading this thread.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
So are there any plans to release the soundtrack? It's so incredible. I really want it. (._. )

EDIT:

Ahhhh, boo. :(

Last edited:

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Really enjoying the game and I've reached the haunted manor and wonder what the telescope is for? I found two switches inside but nothing of importance seem to happen. There are two nearby places I don't know how to reach too, to the right of the telescope is a gate with a broken light above that I can't "fill" correctly. And then there's some area down under the telescope below the ground I can't reach with a block blocking the snake path or something.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the game and I've reached the haunted manor and wonder what the telescope is for? I found two switches inside but nothing of importance seem to happen. There are two nearby places I don't know how to reach too, to the right of the telescope is a gate with a broken light above that I can't "fill" correctly. And then there's some area down under the telescope below the ground I can't reach with a block blocking the snake path or something.
I never did figure out what the telescope was for while I was there, and I never opened the gate with the broken light either. The blocks on the bottom level can be broken, though. That's part of the dungeon.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
All finished. A truly special game. I loved every second of it! Thanks so much to everyone involved. I really hope you guys get to make another one. Thomas Kern

Dt_YW45U8AAE_9k.jpg:large

Congrats! Meanwhile I'm keeping myself busy in other ways waiting for a patch.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody offer me a helpful hint on how to find the key I need to get inside the haunted manor?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a company like data disc can come in and handle the licensing mess to put out a monster boy ost.

Seriously there is some absolutely amazing music in this. Every time id stumble upon a remix, id get this enormous grin on my face.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
For the telescope:

Lower all of the lenses, then go to the start of the telescope and fire Pepelogoo's laser through all of them.

Regarding the block, look for the bathtub and you can go down the drain.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the Steam release yet? Thomas? I know I'm being impatient but the reviews and feedback I'm reading (including here) is just glowing and it appears the game is astonishingly great so can't wait to play it. Couldn't get a console in time so I'm one of those PC peasants waiting on Steam.

That said, extremely strong reviews, adoring feedback and decent sales mean the game is a huge success, and that's just lovely. So happy for the team.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the Steam release yet? Thomas? I know I'm being impatient but the reviews and feedback I'm reading (including here) is just glowing and it appears the game is astonishingly great so can't wait to play it. Couldn't get a console in time so I'm one of those PC peasants waiting on Steam.

That said, extremely strong reviews, adoring feedback and decent sales mean the game is a huge success, and that's just lovely. So happy for the team.

IIRC the steam release is coming next month.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the 3D pixel stages. Are they referencing some old Wonder Boy port or something?

Also, are these snake's bodies made of flaming Pepelogoo eggs? 😟

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
You need to adjust all lenses and then use Pepelogoo's light-ray firing through all lenses at once.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I picked this game up on the weekend for PS4 and haven't hardly put it down. As a 80s/90s kid who played alot of the WonderBoy series in the arcades and on Sega consoles...I have to say Game Atelier nailed it with Monster Boy, it truly is a new WonderBoy in the modern age, totally faithful to the originals

Well done guys if you are reading this thread.
Thank you very much!! ^_^

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The steam release will by my 6th purchase of the game lol. Well done Thomas Kern and team, WELL DONE! I hope the sequel is already on the boards.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That game is freaking amazing, I can´t wait to go home to play it again! I didn´t expect that my 2018 top 3 would change that late, but here we are.
Used to be:
1. Celeste
2. Hollow Knight
3. Into The Breach

It is now:
1. Celeste (yeah that one is hard to move)
2. Monster Boi
3. Hollow Knight

Sorry Into The Breach, you´re still the best strategy game I played in the last 10 years.

On a side note, 2018 is the first time that my top 5 is exclusively made of indies since I have Dead Cells at 5 (and Octo Expansion at 6).
It´s a combination of amazing releases, Nintendo having a dreadful lineup, and RDR2 being the most overrated thing since the Calzone pizza. Sure it looks good, but it´s business as usual at core and it´s quite cumbersome to eat/play.

I won´t really have holidays at the end of the year so for the few days I´ll spend at home, I´m thinking of having a WonderBoy marathon (while eating regular pizzas). I´ll be here day one for the sequel.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
That game is freaking amazing, I can´t wait to go home to play it again! I didn´t expect that my 2018 top 3 would change that late, but here we are.
Used to be:
1. Celeste
2. Hollow Knight
3. Into The Breach

It is now:
1. Celeste
2. Monster Boi
3. Hollow Knight

Sorry Into The Breach, you´re still the best strategy game I played in the last 10 years.

On a side note, 2018 is the first time that my top 5 is exclusively made of indies since I have Dead Cells at 5 (and Octo Expansion at 6).
It´s a combination of amazing releases, Nintendo having a dreadful lineup, and RDR2 being the most overrated thing since the Calzone pizza. Sure it looks good, but it´s business as usual at core and it´s quite cumbersome to eat/play.

I won´t really have holidays at the end of the year so for the few days I´ll spend at home, I´m thinking of having a WonderBoy marathon (while eating regular pizzas).

Interesting, my top 2 is Celeste then Into The Breach, but I'm not convinced on Monster Boy yet, it seems a little old-school. I don't see new mechanics that made Celeste and Into The Breach quite clever and not done before. What makes Monster Boy good?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Interesting, my top 2 is Celeste then Into The Breach, but I'm not convinced on Monster Boy yet, it seems a little old-school. I don't see new mechanics that made Celeste and Into The Breach quite clever and not done before. What makes Monster Boy good?

Hard to say mate, you can´t explain love and sometimes, you don´t need clever new mechanics to absolutely love a game. Really, I wish I could give you a better answer, but I don´t have one.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this since I got it, I'm currently at 52% of the map I'm currently at the volcano.

After getting like 3 magic seeds I realize the music playing in these rooms was one of my favorite songs from Wonder Boy in Monster world lol.
I would definitely buy an OST for this game if it ever comes out.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Thomas Kern, how do you explain the lack of reviews from the main review sites such as IGN or Gamespot? Although this seems like the better game, Dragon's Tap was better covered.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Thomas Kern, how do you explain the lack of reviews from the main review sites such as IGN or Gamespot? Although this seems like the better game, Dragon's Tap was better covered.
Well, we provided keys to all of them so it's not our fault! :) Regarding your comparison: when Dragon's Trap released it was one of few Switch games and therefore big sites had more interest in reviewing titles for it. After all, IGN, Gamespot and other sites need clicks and traffic so they pick things that deliver most traffic. Christmas season is very rich with lots of content to choose from so we're not shocked about it.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Well, we provided keys to all of them so it's not our fault! :) Regarding your comparison: when Dragon's Trap released it was one of few Switch games and therefore big sites had more interest in reviewing titles for it. After all, IGN, Gamespot and other sites need clicks and traffic so they pick things that deliver most traffic. Christmas season is very rich with lots of content to choose from so we're not shocked about it.

Thanks for responding, I hope they take the time to review it as it seems to be one of the best indie games on Switch.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Prepping for the Soundtrack of the Year vote, I realised there's not really any music of this game on Youtube. It seems like it'll be one of my favourite sountracks of the year, but the lack of easily accessible links will probably harm its exposure in the upcoming vote. Is this a case of there being no rips available, or copyright-related take-downs?

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Prepping for the Soundtrack of the Year vote, I realised there's not really any music of this game on Youtube. It seems like it'll be one of my favourite sountracks of the year, but the lack of easily accessible links will probably harm its exposure in the upcoming vote. Is this a case of there being no rips available, or copyright-related take-downs?
We're not taking down anything but we're also not keen about adding it to YouTube either. Right now we're very focused on fixing the remaining glitches in the game so there's no heavy bugs during Christmas when we're going to vacation! :p

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So there is no graphical advantage on the ps4 or xbox compared with the switch? Fullhd in 60 fps on all platforms? No native 4k on any platform?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
How am I supposed to fight the boss in the haunted House? He just speaks gobbly gook to me, and then I have to quit the game cos I get stuck in that room rather annoyingly

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
How am I supposed to fight the boss in the haunted House? He just speaks gobbly gook to me, and then I have to quit the game cos I get stuck in that room rather annoyingly
I assume you're playing on Xbox:
The Xbox Version has a glitch that doesn't give the hint from Pepelogoo. Check the ingame options menu: a new option shows up called ghost language translator. Switch to 'YES'. You'll be able to advance now. Sorry about the bug - we already submitted a patch to Microsoft which is a delayed Day1 patch, because we had to add more important fixes that took more time to implement than planned

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I assume you're playing on Xbox:
The Xbox Version has a glitch that doesn't give the hint from Pepelogoo. Check the ingame options menu: a new option shows up called ghost language translator. Switch to 'YES'. You'll be able to advance now. Sorry about the bug - we already submitted a patch to Microsoft which is a delayed Day1 patch, because we had to add more important fixes that took more time to implement than planned

Yes I am on xbox, and thank you for this! I would have never have guessed to do that haha

I watched a video of somebody starting the boss fight on Youtube and it looked different to mine and I was sat there screaming WHAT DID YOU DO DIFFERENTLY.

At least I know now haha

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Yes I am on xbox, and thank you for this! I would have never have guessed to do that haha

I watched a video of somebody starting the boss fight on Youtube and it looked different to mine and I was sat there screaming WHAT DID YOU DO DIFFERENTLY.

At least I know now haha
You're very welcome. One more info:
when you got the item for Hoots, return it to him and then go to the place you're supposed to go right after that. Doing so will avoid the other more severe glitch. Really sorry for the inconvenience in this section of the game. Patch will fix all of that.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Can someone help me out with these secrets?

Pirate Shore - there's a question mark near the cannon - I already used it to do something, so there are no cannonbals now.

The bottom of the long stairs shaft in The Sewers - what should I do here? I suspect it has something to do with the giant sewer opening to the left, but I haven't found a way to interact with it.

Village of Lupia - I've turned on all the street lights via hidden switches - what else?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me out with these secrets?

Pirate Shore - there's a question mark near the cannon - I already used it to do something, so there are no cannonbals now.

The bottom of the long stairs shaft in The Sewers - what should I do here? I suspect it has something to do with the giant sewer opening to the left, but I haven't found a way to interact with it.

Village of Lupia - I've turned on all the street lights via hidden switches - what else?
Pirate Shore - Not sure about this without knowing the exact location of the question mark
Sewers - Look around near there for a place where you can sniff with the pig. It'll reveal a ghost that you chase around and you'll eventually get the item.
Lupia - Once you turn on all of the lights (there's 5 switches), you'll trigger a change on the white tower. Then you need to rotate it in the correct order. I honestly do not remember the order. It's indicated by the flashing on the gem, kind of like morse code.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lupia - Once you turn on all of the lights (there's 5 switches), you'll trigger a change on the white tower. Then you need to rotate it in the correct order. I honestly do not remember the order. It's indicated by the flashing on the gem, kind of like morse code.

The order is:
Stand on the left side, pull 1 time
Stand on right side, pull 2 times
Left: 2 times
Right: 1 time
Left: 2 times
Right: 1 time
Left: 1 time
Right: 2 times
Left: 1 time

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
We're not taking down anything but we're also not keen about adding it to YouTube either. Right now we're very focused on fixing the remaining glitches in the game so there's no heavy bugs during Christmas when we're going to vacation! :p
Well I hope you all have a great Christmas break! Your game will be part of my holiday fun. Egg Nog and new but nostalgic gaming. :)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Man I feel really stupid tonight.

What am I supposed to do after I beat the
haunted House boss? It seems it wants me to jump onto the dinner table in that room, but no idea what I'm supposed to do once I'm on there.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm early in the game and some of the secrets that require precise jumping I'm failing at (3 bats in a row in the Misty Forest). Are there new forms that fly or give double jump or something to make getting the hidden chests easier later (I assume a gold armor piece is in the chest or something similar, I haven't been able to get to the door/chest)?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm early in the game and some of the secrets that require precise jumping I'm failing at (3 bats in a row in the Misty Forest). Are there new forms that fly or give double jump or something to make getting the hidden chests easier later (I assume a gold armor piece is in the chest or something similar, I haven't been able to get to the door/chest)?

You do unlock a dragon form later which allows you to fly anywhere if you're willing to come back. I somehow managed to bounce my way over in pig form, but honestly I think it was sheer blind luck I made it over, and it took a LOT of tries

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Pirate Shore - Not sure about this without knowing the exact location of the question mark
Sewers - Look around near there for a place where you can sniff with the pig. It'll reveal a ghost that you chase around and you'll eventually get the item.

Pirate Shore - the question mark is exactly on the cannon as far as I can tell. I suspect maybe you need to get to the "back layer" somehow, but not sure how.

Lupia - Where is the fifth switch? As far as I can tell there are seven street lights that can be toggled via four switches.

There's also a question mark in the central pillar of the volcano (About where the rotating segmented dragon is) that I don't know how to get.

Also, a room in the castle where I need a gear, but can't bring one from the outside and don't see any way to drop through the wooden floors in the room.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Pirate Shore - the question mark is exactly on the cannon as far as I can tell. I suspect maybe you need to get to the "back layer" somehow, but not sure how.

Lupia - Where is the fifth switch? As far as I can tell there are seven street lights that can be toggled via four switches.

There's also a question mark in the central pillar of the volcano (About where the rotating segmented dragon is) that I don't know how to get.

Also, a room in the castle where I need a gear, but can't bring one from the outside and don't see any way to drop through the wooden floors in the room.

I have 2 things by the cannon there. I think the one you're looking for is a music sheet. I don't remember how I got it, though. Here's my map.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that the music has been uploaded to YouTube. I really hope an official release happens, though.

You should be able to target 3 locations in the background with the cannon by moving it with the lion form, and that way you can free the chest in the background. I think you just have to sniff the cannonball stacks to get more cannonballs.

Lupia switches - Let's see if I can remember: behind a box by the smith, on the right side of the second floor of the inn, under the eave at the church, one near Ollie that you have to sniff with the pig to find, and one on the platform next to the windmill that you also have to sniff with the pig to find.

For the gear in the castle, you need to pound the ground with the lion form to make the penguin fall upward through the thin floor sections. This might require the upgraded mace? I can't remember if enemies bounce up without that or not.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
So, I got 100% on everything now apart from 95% on coin chests.

I got question marks on both the Pirate Cove cannon location and the central Volcano room, the latter is weird because I already opened a coin chest in that exact location. Is this a bug?