• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best games of that generation and holds up extremely well today.

It is not in any way needed to play Monster Boy, but well worth playing on its own.

Get an English version. There are several available digitally, and a fan-translated ROM as well. Don't play the import unless you speak Japanese, as it does have a good deal of dialog.

Thanks, I did not know there was a Fan translation.
Might try this after Monster Boy .

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wasn't planning on it, but decided to pick this up at Best Buy today. I wasn't exactly all-in on Dragon's Trap (got a few hours in, felt lost, and gave up), but this sounds like it could be more up my alley. Fingers crossed. :)
Yeah can't get lost in this one. Map and objectives are pretty clear.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I like the Dragon's Trap style more, especially from a high-level art direction standpoint, but there's no denying this turned out gorgeous, and I say that as someone who was pretty wary about the art style in earlier versions Game Atelier showed.

Yeah, I really like the final version of art they chose.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much! ^_^ Regarding the media attention: We actually got bombarded with requests from all kinds of media especially after the first reviews hit but we didn't manage to send press keys out to everyone yet (it was insane and we've been away to celebrate the launch). We can't complain and are happy with the sales so far, we didn't make this for a day but to have a classic that we hope is a must have in years to come.

Awesome insight, good to read! Congrats on the reviews and decent sales. Much deserved! You have a sale coming from me when this hits Steam, when Monster Boy will hopefully get another sales boost then, and I hope your well-reviewed, amazing game, that is a must have, sells millions and we get a series!

Thanks for responding to me for all those years on the development blog too. It was a pleasure.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait to get home just to play Monster Boy again and start really digging deeper into its world, haven't felt this way since the first several months Mario Odyssey was out last year.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the volcano...holy shit this game is so freaking good. MIght be one of my GOTY.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just realized it was 24 years ago when I was first introduced to the Wonderboy universe through playing the Dynastic Hero on my Turbo Duo as a scrappy, loyal TG-16 fan. 24 years later Monster Boy is making me feel like a kid again and reminding me why I fell in love with this series.

H5wVdXt.jpg

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Dude, just wanted to say - major respect for your collection and fandom. I love seeing stuff like this! Had no idea you were such a WB fan. So happy for fans like you to have moments like this. I really want to play this game! I loved the recent remake. Such a charming-ass game. This one looks like a worthy successor.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no contesr, hands down Monster Boy is my GOTY. This game fills me with an indescribable happiness. I feel like a kid again.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday my sister came over, and we were children again playing this. She played the first bit with me, the very very beginning, right after getting the sword, she goes "jump on the house, there used to be gold there!"

Sure fucking enough. I cant say enough how much that tickled us.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how this game constantly reminds you that, no, this isn't a spiritual successor but an actual real deal new entry to Monster World. It's dripping with call backs, if you've played the entire series, every few moments there is something tying back into the older games. Little music cues, or sound effects, or old characters popping up, or hell even the level design will sometimes just, out of the blue, start mimicking the old titles. But it doesn't feel like a retread, it's the GOOD kind of nostalgic tingling. The people who made this game had to have been enormous Wonder Boy fans, because there are just sooooo many call backs.

I found myself listening to the remix of the village theme for about an hour today while I did chores. This song, from Monster World:

The new remix is amazing. When I was a kid, I used to get to Alsedo and Childam and just leave the Genesis on so I could listen to this song. Along with the Ocean/Tundra theme and the remix of the Nightmare Castle, they were my favorite songs in the series.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen many people talking about the HD rumble, but I gotta say it's pretty awesome. Do a butt stomp with split joycons. The rumble is in stereo! The left Joycon rumbles if you do something on the left side of the screen and vice versa. You can feel the Lion run across the screen on your controller. LOL

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen many people talking about the HD rumble, but I gotta say it's pretty awesome. Do a butt stomp with split joycons. The rumble is in stereo! The left Joycon rumbles if you do something on the left side of the screen and vice versa. You can feel the Lion run across the screen on your controller. LOL

When you're low on health, you can feel your last heart beat, which is sorta the tone that used to play in Wonder Boy in Monster Land when you were on your last heart.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When this game was first announced, I was so elated about being able to look forward to a new Wonder Boy game that I didn't really care, but if I'm being truthful, I thought the game looked a bit tacky. The main sprite had some dreamworks proportions, and a lot of the vector tweened animations didn't look very good. It looked, for lack of a better term, like budget restrained art -- functional foremost, hoping that composition of elements would carry the look of the game.

That long delay to overhaul the visuals has paid off enormously. This is a drop dead gorgeous game, from top to bottom. I actually think this looks way better than Dragon's Trap, and I thought that game was incredibly pretty. There are lots of things here that remind me of Wario Land: Smooth Moves in terms of quality of animation. The hand drawn frames look great, and they use lots of motion smears in intelligent ways. Not just is the art mechanically proficient, the art style has also significantly improved. It very much looks like classic wonderboy art now, the aesthetic is nailed. It doesn't just look like classic wonder boy art in HD ala Street Fighter II's face lift, rather, the number of frames of animation per action has also significantly increased. There is so many animations in this game, it seriously looks like a cartoon.

And on top of all that, this game is technically proficient too. I really dig, for example, how the main character sprites have rim lighting. That is a really weird thing to see in a 2D game -- the sprites actually having dynamic lighting along their edges, but it looks great here. Combined with the thick outlines of the sprites, the rim lighting is just subtle enough to enhance the picture.

The composition of the layers in this game are terrific too. There are some scenes with deep parallax, and not just in the background. I like the use of forground elements in the game, and for once, the blur on such objects doesn't look out of place. Overall I'm just bonkers about the art style in this game. It's terrific. I adore the attention to detail. For example, the water in the game, it features a very faint texture pattern over it. If you look closely, it is a similar texture pattern to the water from Wonder Boy III:

4101142226_98f2b65866_z.jpg

Unlike the static water tiles in Wonder Boy III, however, in Monster Boy, the texture is animated. It distorts, and the shader used to create it has layers which scroll independently. It looks like, and retains the spirit of the original, but is completely modern and even impressive. And it's something that could be completely missed if you're not looking around to take it all in. There are touches like this everywhere.

I always thought the Wonder Boy games were really, really pretty. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap might just be the best looking SMS game released. It feels appropriate that Monster Boy keeps wowing me with the visuals. Pretty, pretty game.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Absolutely no contesr, hands down Monster Boy is my GOTY. This game fills me with an indescribable happiness. I feel like a kid again.

This is making me hyped. The wonderboy games are some of my all time favourites and if this is even nearly as good it would go close to GOTY (not sure it could top smash for me).

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having issues... either I'm just at a spot I am not supposed to be able to reach this early in the game, or I'm missing something right in front of my face lol.

A hint would be great.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I'd like to know this as well.

Someone could try by:
-turning on airplane mode
-deleting game data from switch (not save file)
-booting up the game from card

Hi! The full game is on the game card. The patch is quite big because for some reason it includes all patches including 1.0.1 which is already on the card. Not sure why that is but seems to be the normal way of how things are working on Switch.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I love it when a release sneaks up on you, and know nothing of its existence, looks amazing!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The game just keeps getting better and better! Although I'm stuck after the cookie scene, can't seem to progress. No hints needed yet. Although it feels like a glitch right now.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Do Rainbow Drops have any other use than
spending them at the shop in Aeria,
or should I just use them there?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I guess I should post these here also.

Glitch: I had one glitch in the haunted mansion. I was in one of those dark portals and got hit by that glowing thing that spits you back out and when it did none of the buttons on the Switch controller would do anything other than the home and screenshot buttons. It didn't do that the other times I got hit by it. I had to quit the game and start it again.

Neat feature: If you're holding the fire button while the dragon and let go of the button while switching screens you'll keep blowing fire without having to hold the button. It made blowing fire while flying a lot easier than holding the fire button. The next time you hit the fire button you stop blowing and it works like normal. I don't know how useful it is but it was cool.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help in the Pirates Cove

I've found all the three ingredients except the pig. I thought that might have been me, so I jumped into the pot in pig form, but that didn't work.

So I assume it's under the water where the big rock is with the white Cross, but I can't get rid of this rock. I've tried throwing a bomb at it in pig form, but that doesn't seem to work.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I must be blind or not setting the obvious.. but stuck...

where can you find the aronia Berries?

Any help is nice

I can't remember where each ingredient is specifically, it's either from all the hoop jumping you have to do which starts somewhere near the centre right, or by shooting the treasure chest down with the cannons, or the underwater snake maze on the far left.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I must be blind or not setting the obvious.. but stuck...

where can you find the aronia Berries?

Any help is nice

Which ones have you gotten? I don't remember which one is where, but it might help what puzzle you solved to get which one. Please use spoiler tags for puzzle solutions.

I've found all the three ingredients except the pig. I thought that might have been me, so I jumped into the pot in pig form, but that didn't work.

So I assume it's under the water where the big rock is with the white Cross, but I can't get rid of this rock. I've tried throwing a bomb at it in pig form, but that doesn't seem to work.

You need to light the fire with magic, then jump in.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

Oh for gods sake, the solution was really obvious to this.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

You forgot one thing first, read the sign again.

Yes you're the pig but you need to set the fire also.

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Where is the best place to buy this physically for those living in the U.K.? Play Asia have it for a good price but the cheapest shipping takes up to 21 days. I would like it for Christmas.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the best place to buy this physically for those living in the U.K.? Play Asia have it for a good price but the cheapest shipping takes up to 21 days. I would like it for Christmas.
I could probably pick a few copies up from Best Buy and ship one to you. I dunno what the shipping would be though. PM me some details and I'll check. I get it for $48 via Best Buy with my GC membership. It ships to me for free, but that takes a couple days. I could drive and pick it up in store, but that costs me about $15 for gas. A lot of variables lol.

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I could probably pick a few copies up from Best Buy and ship one to you. I dunno what the shipping would be though. PM me some details and I'll check. I get it for $48 via Best Buy with my GC membership. It ships to me for free, but that takes a couple days. I could drive and pick it up in store, but that costs me about $15 for gas. A lot of variables lol.

That's really kind of you. $48 is about £37 but I guess shipping would be quite expensive and then the chance of getting charged by customs. :s Maybe Play-Asia is the best option and just settle for it coming after Christmas. Or get the digital for £35 but I really don't want to do that. Or just get Toki physical then Monster Boy later but I read that physical copies are rare.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
That's really kind of you. $48 is about £37 but I guess shipping would be quite expensive and then the chance of getting charged by customs. :s Maybe Play-Asia is the best option and just settle for it coming after Christmas. Or get the digital for £35 but I really don't want to do that. Or just get Toki physical then Monster Boy later but I read that physical copies are rare.
Yeah, shipping from me to London 10-16 days, DHL is $16. I'm probably not your best bet lol.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to squeeze a few hours in tonight - just got to the top of the big tree. Taking my time and just soaking everything in.

Game is a joy to play so far. It perfectly walks the line between being a revival of a legacy series while also bringing something new to the table. I love that while there are callbacks and nostalgia bombs on almost every screen, the game still has its own identity and feels very much like a unique instalment rather than simply being a "Greatest Hits" of the series. Excellently played so far, and if the game maintains this level of quality it'll absolutely shatter every expectation I had.

I got caught off-guard when I found a safe room in the sewers and a gentle piano remix of one of the MWIII village themes was playing. Must admit I got a little misty-eyed at that point. Man, where do the years go.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to squeeze a few hours in tonight - just got to the top of the big tree. Taking my time and just soaking everything in.

Game is a joy to play so far. It perfectly walks the line between being a revival of a legacy series while also bringing something new to the table. I love that while there are callbacks and nostalgia bombs on almost every screen, the game still has its own identity and feels very much like a unique instalment rather than simply being a "Greatest Hits" of the series. Excellently played so far, and if the game maintains this level of quality it'll absolutely shatter every expectation I had.

I got caught off-guard when I found a safe room in the sewers and a gentle piano remix of one of the MWIII village themes was playing. Must admit I got a little misty-eyed at that point. Man, where do the years go.

Those rooms keep popping up, so you keep hearing the theme. I had to step away from playing yesterday to do some work, so I went to one of those rooms and kept my switch with me with headphones on so I could listen to that song while I worked. It's a great remix. I've been whistling it all day long.

Most games of this ilk, collecting all the optional side quest stuff, I usually ignore. But once I saw the banjo playing dude and he showed me the track list I could unlock.... holy shit. I'll definitely unlock all of them.

That reminds me -- Monster Boy OST when????