• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is cuter?

• Pepelogoo

• Kirby

• Jigglypuff

• Kirby sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's kind of a mash-up of influences from the different WB games. The controls and level design feel a lot more like WB in Monster World, with a heavier feel and less slippery controls. Whether or not that's a good thing is kind of a matter of preference (I personally love the slippery, arcadey platforming of WB3, but it can be divisive)
The issue with the original Dragon's Trap was it was slippery without the animation to show that clearly.

The remake added animation 'tells' to the slipperiness, eg showing your character slowing down after letting go, which essentially 100% fixed the game while maintaining the exact same physics.

The issue with the original was an animation+physics weak design issue, rather than slippy controls in and of themselves. Lots of other games had slippiness in that era (especially in ice levels etc) but played better due to better matching animation+physics design. The original Wonder Boy arcade game had multiple walking animations and they varied in speed so it is an example of the same physics with better tells too.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I love all the music around the temple area so much. It's like Wonder Boy music done by a Mexican Ska and Soul band or something.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a spiritual successor, it's literally the next entry in the series. Like, officially. Monster Boy is officially part of the Wonder Boy series, the back of the box has the Sega copyright.

Rather than give a run down in this thread, I want to make a general Wonder Boy thread instead, since I'm sure this question will be asked a bunch. The basic run down is that virtually every game in the series plays differently from one another, but there are two distinct "styles" of games. One is a sort of auto-scrolling (sometimes) platformer more like Mario 1, of which there are two games like this - the original Wonder Boy (which indeed was ported to the NES as Adventure Island), and Wonder Boy 3: Monster's Lair. Adventure Island, on the NES, spun off into it's own series without the involvement of the people who made Wonder Boy, continuing this style of gameplay.

The other style of game is denoted by the subtitle "Monster World" in japan, although confusingly this subtitle disappears in the west. There were, basically, Wonder boy 2: Monster World, Wonderboy III: Monster World 2, Wonder Boy IV: Monster World 3, and Monster World IV (which dropped the Wonder Boy name, because you play as a girl). The Monster World games are action RPGs, that play a lot like Zelda or perhaps Maze of Galious/La Mulana if you've heard of those. 2 of the Monster World games are stage based (Wonder Boy 2, and Monster World IV), and two of them are metroidvanias (Wonder boy 3, and Wonder Boy IV). Generally, they all play similarly despite some being level based, and some being metroidvania. It's a less drastic change than, say, classicvania vs symphony of the night. Wonder Boy IV, for example, is basically a super metroid-type remake of Wonder Boy 2, in the same way that Super Metroid retreads lots of the same ground as the original Metroid, just with lots more refinement.

Last year, Wonder Boy III: Monster World 2 was remade as Wonder boy: The Dragon's Trap. Similarly, Monster Boy plays as a metroidvania more like Wonderboy IV: Monster World 3.

In the US, the names of the games changed, like so:

Wonder Boy 2: Monster World --> Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: Monster World 2 --> Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Wonder Boy IV: Monster World 3 --> Wonder Boy in Monster World

Later adventure Island games, from hudson, became rip offs of the monster world games eventually -- Adventure Island IV on the famicom adopted the metroidvania gameplay of Wonder Boy III: Monster World 2, and Super Adventure Island II similarly plays more like Wonder Boy IV: Monster World 3.

The modern legacy of the Wonder Boy games is Shantae. Wayforward has been very open that the Shantae series is a love letter to the Monster World sub series of Wonder Boy.

Thanks for this, I was familiar that the main games "split" in style, and I believe I played Wonder Boy in Monster World when I was a lil' baby boy, but I've been curious in the offshoots seeing as the non-Sega takes on those games essentially involve other IPs. That and the idea of spiritual takes on it always confused me. I've also been interested in Shantae, so I imagine if I like some of this, I'm gonna like a lot more.

So if I get this right, there's seven games? Wonder Boy (which has a remake), Monster Land, Monster Lair, Dragon's Trap (which has a remake), Monster World, Monster World IV, and Monster Boy?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Finally picked up my copy of the game.

6HlFPJN.jpg

ZWlOFFs.jpg

Also have to vent a bit. The Gamestop I pre-ordered at only got two pre-orders for the physical copy, they opened mine and tried to sell it to me as a new copy but not even the insert art was new, they had obviously gutted the whole case and put a darker colored photocopy in its place. I told the guy right away that was unacceptable, I'm not buying this, got my $5 pre-order deposit back in cash, walked down to Best Buy which is in the same mall and got a proper copy of the game. I was *this* close to walking back into the Gamestop on my way back out and showing the employee what a legit, untampered new copy of a game looks like. I know selling opened copies of games is par for the course for Gamestop but I've never had them actually try to sell me an opened copy that also didn't even have the original cover insert.

Anyways, can't wait to start this. :D

mFFgLU7.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dtr8IqnVAAA_wck.jpg:large

GOT THEM ALL

From back left to back right:

Adventure Island (MSX)
Wonder Boy (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
Monster World IV (Mega Drive)
Adventure Island (NES)
Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair (Genesis)

Wonder Boy (C64)
Wonder Boy III (Game Gear)
Saiyuuki World [Wonder Boy in Monster Land] (Famicom)
The Dynastic Hero (Turbo CD)
Revenge of Drancon [Wonder Boy] Game Gear
Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Amiga)

Monster World Collection (PS2)
Monster Boy (Nintendo Switch)
Monster Lair (Turbo Grafx CD)
Dragon's Curse (Turbo Grafx 16)
Bikkuriman World [Wonder Boy in Monster Land] (PC Engine)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Nintendo Switch)
Adventure Island (PS2)

Wonder Boy (Arcade)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)
Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair (Arcade)
Where do you live? Exactly. I mean, there are so many houses in the world.....

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It was Wonder Boy V: Monster World III in Japan. None of the games officially had the title Wonder Boy IV.
Yep.

Dragon's Trap was not Wonder Boy III in Japan, it was just Monster World II, but starred the same Wonder Boy from Monster World 1, and was in fact the fourth game, so is pretty clearly the actual Wonder Boy IV. Hence the next game being Wonder Boy V: Monster World III.

For those confused, the series in actual order:
  1. Wonder Boy (not a Monster World Game)
  2. Wonder Boy: Monster World (western: WB in Monster Land)
  3. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (not a Monster World Game)
  4. Monster World II (western: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap)
  5. Wonder Boy V: Monster World III (western: Wonder Boy in Monster World)
  6. Monster World IV (Wonder Girl?)
Dtr8IqnVAAA_wck.jpg:large

GOT THEM ALL

From back left to back right:

Adventure Island (MSX)
Wonder Boy (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
Monster World IV (Mega Drive)
Adventure Island (NES)
Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair (Genesis)

Wonder Boy (C64)
Wonder Boy III (Game Gear)
Saiyuuki World [Wonder Boy in Monster Land] (Famicom)
The Dynastic Hero (Turbo CD)
Revenge of Drancon [Wonder Boy] Game Gear
Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Amiga)

Monster World Collection (PS2)
Monster Boy (Nintendo Switch)
Monster Lair (Turbo Grafx CD)
Dragon's Curse (Turbo Grafx 16)
Bikkuriman World [Wonder Boy in Monster Land] (PC Engine)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Nintendo Switch)
Adventure Island (PS2)

Wonder Boy (Arcade)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)
Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair (Arcade)
Missing the first console version, SG1000?

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Reached the endboss, but not sure what to do in his third phase.

He splits into four copies, and I'm not sure what to do. Using the Frog tongue on him removes the copies, but then he throws off a full screen nuke I can't avoid and I can't even reach him to get in some hits before he's split into four again.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Fumbling around in the dark is actually the opposite of fun.

I was having a good time until they took away my ability to see shit.

How about we make an underwater maze full of bombs where you can't see shit? Yeah, that sounds like fun!

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The modern legacy of the Wonder Boy games is Shantae. Wayforward has been very open that the Shantae series is a love letter to the Monster World sub series of Wonder Boy.
Interestingly enough when Matt made the original Shantae he didn't know about Monster World IV, fans pointed out the similarities.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I just adore this game. The music remixes pepper the soundtrack without feeling like it's leaning on them too much, and the original music is all incredible. The way your first run through an area requires a fair bit of caution and then you get an upgrade that makes you feel like a superhero against those same challenges is really cool, too.

I still can't believe how little media attention this has gotten.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just did the beach missions with the Pepelogoo and first few equipment pick ups and....wow, this game is pure joy to play so far and was well worth the wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I just adore this game. The music remixes pepper the soundtrack without feeling like it's leaning on them too much, and the original music is all incredible. The way your first run through an area requires a fair bit of caution and then you get an upgrade that makes you feel like a superhero against those same challenges is really cool, too.

Yeah, I knew it would be like this releasing right in between Pokemon and Smash Bros. Gotta go with what gets hits.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Hi Everyone, I'm happy you're all enjoying Monster Boy!

Regarding this post from Mega Man Zero:
Please equip your prince armor for light! :D (or/and prince bracelet with additional shine)

Fumbling around in the dark is actually the opposite of fun.

I was having a good time until they took away my ability to see shit.

How about we make an underwater maze full of bombs where you can't see shit? Yeah, that sounds like fun!

Last edited:

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany

Thank you so much! ^_^ Regarding the media attention: We actually got bombarded with requests from all kinds of media especially after the first reviews hit but we didn't manage to send press keys out to everyone yet (it was insane and we've been away to celebrate the launch). We can't complain and are happy with the sales so far, we didn't make this for a day but to have a classic that we hope is a must have in years to come.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Oh so you managed to solve the dark area in the temple 'blind too', not bad! Well, we have a system in the game that makes the armor purchaseable when you missed it in the temple.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The TL;DR is that Sega didn't extend the Wonder Boy trademark in all regions and that some Korean actually took the chance to register it. Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap was unaffected by this due to being a remake, but the legal situation was a bit trickier for a new game like Monster Boy. This lead to uncertainties that made the team shy away from the name.

At the end of the day, it'd have probably been possible for the team to use the Wonder Boy name at this point. But despite being an official entry in the series, the publisher decided that owning the name rights is a plus for eventual sequels (that might or might not happen).
Oh, very interesting. The Lizardcube guys were shy about discussing the particulars, but that makes sense.

And hey, if any fan base is okay with a bit of confused branding, it's probably Wonder Boy's.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Last year, Wonder Boy III: Monster World 2 was remade as Wonder boy: The Dragon's Trap. Similarly, Monster Boy plays as a metroidvania more like Wonderboy IV: Monster World 3.

I was coming to this thread just to ask a question that this answered, if it was more like Monster World 3 or 4, so happy that I decided to actually read the thread instead of just asking. Thanks for info.

Think this is going to have to come before Smash for me. Monster World 3 was my favorite in the series and these side scrolling explorable action/rpgs are my jam. Anyone know how big the map is?
Still going to have to wait till after Katamari.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The numbering for this series has always been confusing to me, lol.

However am I right in assuming the murals shown in the town are referencing...

Wonder Boy (as in the original)
Monster World 1 & 2 (this is the same character right?)
Monster World 3
Monster World 4

?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The numbering for this series has always been confusing to me, lol.

However am I right in assuming the murals shown in the town are referencing...

Wonder Boy (as in the original)
Monster World 1 & 2 (this is the same character right?)
Monster World 3
Monster World 4

?

Wonder boy 1, 2, and dragons trap are all the same character, named bocke in japan and tom tom in the west. Wonder boy 3: monster lair is leo and princess purapil which takes place hundreds of years after dragons trap. Wonder boy in monster world is shion, and also takes place hundreds of years after both dragons trap and monster lair. Monster world iv is asha, and is hundreds of years after monster world.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder boy 1, 2, and dragons trap are all the same character, named bocke in japan and tom tom in the west. Wonder boy 3: monster lair is leo and princess purapil which takes place hundreds of years after dragons trap. Wonder boy in monster world is shion, and also takes place hundreds of years after both dragons trap and monster lair. Monster world iv is asha, and is hundreds of years after monster world.
Oh ok thanks for the clarification I was confused there cause I was thinking they skipped Monster Lair for some reason, lol.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to say as much as I loved the reimagined visuals in the Dragon's Trap remake, I'm definitely digging Monster's Boy's graphics much more. They're just gorgeous and look like art from one of the old WB manuals come to life.

I looked up GameFan's coverage of Monster World IV.

1FmkVg3.jpg

Oh man, I'll never forget reading this Gamefan import preview in high school and thinking how amazing WB IV looked and thinking I'd never get to play it since that was before I knew how easy it was to get into importing. Thank goodness for emulation and the VC release later as well.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaahhh this game is so good. I love the little touches, too. The idle animations, the way your character's weapons and armor change your appearance. Not all games do this and I always appreciate when they do. The music is so catchy and great, I'm having a lot of fun.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I can't figure out what to do in this room in the Volcano, probably just me being stupid.
monsterboyandthecurse6gipp.png

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
I am finally going to be able to play tonight woohoo!

Is it worth it to play Monster World IV?
I am aware the game is worth a pretty penny on Mega Drive but I have been thinking about getting it anyway.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say as much as I loved the reimagined visuals in the Dragon's Trap remake, I'm definitely digging Monster's Boy's graphics much more. They're just gorgeous and look like art from one of the old WB manuals come to life.
I like the Dragon's Trap style more, especially from a high-level art direction standpoint, but there's no denying this turned out gorgeous, and I say that as someone who was pretty wary about the art style in earlier versions Game Atelier showed.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WB in Monster Land was one of the first games I have played, back in the 80's. Its a series that kind of faded away during the start of the 16-bit era. So its no surprise many gamers didn't play a lot of them, or at all.

I found out much later that Adventure Island was OG Wonderboy. I have to say I didn't like these games. I'm more into the RPG's like ML, DT and likely the new one.

The numbering is pretty crazy. The subtitle has its own.

It's kind of a mash-up of influences from the different WB games. The controls and level design feel a lot more like WB in Monster World, with a heavier feel and less slippery controls. Whether or not that's a good thing is kind of a matter of preference (I personally love the slippery, arcadey platforming of WB3, but it can be divisive). But it does have those great transforming mechanics of WB3, as well as inventory-based traversal puzzles like WBiMW.

If feels like there's a lot to explore and a ton of puzzles. It holds your hand enough early on that I haven't seen anything particularly tricky, but I'm impressed with the design at least.

WB3's remake is an especially beautiful game, and I don't think the art style of this one holds up, but there's a lot of polish and unique detail in this one, and I'm totally blown away by how far its come over the last few years.

WB3 looks amazing yes. But MB is new, and is far bigger. You could feel WB3 is a remake of a very old game, it plays kind of rough at first.

I've seen lets plays and there are quite some secrets, stuff you can access with the right items etc. I like that. Too bad MB isn't physical in Europe, i would've caved right away. Perhaps I should import a copy, though its out of stock about everywhere right now.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth it to play Monster World IV?
It's one of the best games of that generation and holds up extremely well today.

It is not in any way needed to play Monster Boy, but well worth playing on its own.

I am aware the game is worth a pretty penny on Mega Drive but I have been thinking about getting it anyway.
Get an English version. There are several available digitally, and a fan-translated ROM as well. Don't play the import unless you speak Japanese, as it does have a good deal of dialog.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't planning on it, but decided to pick this up at Best Buy today. I wasn't exactly all-in on Dragon's Trap (got a few hours in, felt lost, and gave up), but this sounds like it could be more up my alley. Fingers crossed. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the game so far, but am I missing something about this snake boss? It doesn't seem to be beatable with only 5 lightning bolts (which is all I've found so far), but so far the other bosses/rooms that require a specific power-up have provided more of that power-up in the same room. If I don't use the lightning bolts, the opportunities to attack seem very few and far between, especially later in the fight.

EDIT: I was missing something (and it was ultimately pretty easy)

Last edited: