• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you played Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom?

• Yes

Votes: 406 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 261 34.2%
  • Thanks for reminding me I’ll do it now!

Votes: 96 12.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
A little too puzzle-heavy for me. It's like every room is a puzzle you have to solve just to get around. Last time I played one of these games was on the master system I can't remember if it was the same way.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in The Volcano at the moment and to be honest, the game is just kind of fine. I didn't get on with the first hour or so and it got better, but it all just feels a bit loose to me, with the quality of the level design all over the place. Some bits are really good, but other bits are just annoying or obtuse. I also don't think they've made the best of the art either, at times it looks great, but at other times it looks too much like how Wonder Boy in Monster World's remake did - like someone drew the high res art over the top of something rather simple. Which makes sense for that game, but it just feels a bit off in this one since, well, it's an original creation.

All in all I'm just not finding it very compelling like I find the best of these games, it's very put downable. I'm still enjoying it though, but more on the level of how I enjoyed Axiom Verge (until it shit itself 2/3s of the way through) rather than something like Hollow Knight, Guacamelee etc.

Don't mind the music, though.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I played more of it and while solid in a few places, I mostly find it... clunky.
For example, the game tells you can change magic with either R or L and that's fine but what you actualy do when you press them is enter a menu that is poorly implemented to actually choose the magic you want to use. I was initially relieved once that it seemed that you could instantly change forms after getting your second transformation but once you get the third one, you get yet another badly designed menu to choose it and it's just tiresome.

I don't know if there's an option to fix this but this just too obnoxious for me to keep playing. I was initially convinced this wouldn't be as old-school obtuse as Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap but it suffers from almost the same exact problems.
This is a non issue because you can turn off the ring menu in the game options. The reason why the game defaults to ring menu later is because it makes the game more accessible in later levels. Sometimes you need to switch forms very quickly or mid-air and the ring menu gives you enough time to do that by pausing the gameplay.

Apr 25, 2018
I've been enjoying the game, I love the art and music, but I seem to be stuck. I left the lost temple without getting the glow in the dark Princes Tunic, I didn't even know it existed. Now I'm at the pirate shore and have to go underwater to get a pirates flag but its pitch black down there. I can't seem to get back into the lost temple or warp out of the pirate shore, so it seems I'm screwed.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I've been enjoying the game, I love the art and music, but I seem to be stuck. I left the lost temple without getting the glow in the dark Princes Tunic, I didn't even know it existed. Now I'm at the pirate shore and have to go underwater to get a pirates flag but its pitch black down there. I can't seem to get back into the lost temple or warp out of the pirate shore, so it seems I'm screwed.
Hi! If you missed the prince tunic in the lost temples, you can buy it in the shop at pirate beach. There's also another item to extend the glow from prince tunic. However, the equipment is not required to beat the pitch black underwater section, just makes it a lot easier. There are crystals spread around that will glow and light part of the surrounding when you use the snake spit on them. They're self illuminated so you'll be able to spot them either way. The prior section with some enemies in the dark is rather short and you'll quickly see the first crystal when you go right.

Apr 21, 2018
It's worth $60 at least. $40 is a steal. Games of this quality are exceedingly rare. I genuinely believe this one of the best games in the history of the medium.

Also, it's an extremely lengthy game too - but in a good way. It's packed with variety and interesting ideas until the end.

Holy crap this is some serious praise.

I played the demo and it didn't catch me, but I might need to give it another go. I love the visuals and music, I am often just very nervous to jump into new Metroidvania's.

Apr 25, 2018
Hi! If you missed the prince tunic in the lost temples, you can buy it in the shop at pirate beach. There's also another item to extend the glow from prince tunic. However, the equipment is not required to beat the pitch black underwater section, just makes it a lot easier. There are crystals spread around that will glow and light part of the surrounding when you use the snake spit on them. They're self illuminated so you'll be able to spot them either way. The prior section with some enemies in the dark is rather short and you'll quickly see the first crystal when you go right.

Thanks for the reply! I managed to muddle through the dark section and as soon as I did I discovered the Princes Tunic had been for sale in the shop all along. I felt pretty silly for not noticing sooner but I'm glad I'm not stuck anymore because I'm really enjoying the game :)

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
How is it compared to Monster's Trap? I only played Monster's Trap, and though I only played beginning part of the game (1-2 hours), it didn't clicked me.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to let people know that this is included in the PS4 Hidden Gem Sales. 55% off. I've been waiting for it to be on sale so looks like its time for me to jump in.

US Hidden Gems Sale

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished. I wish I didn't take so long to play it. Got it for $20 when it was on clearance at gamestop

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This game took a nosedive and overstayed it's welcome after the volcano region... The stealth part, the haunted mansion.... I'm only playing just to because I am so close at this point

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So I bought this because yeah the artstyle looks amazing but then I was like wait this is very similar to maple story artstyle wise.

Then I remembered all about maplestory and have been playing that since and haven't launched this game yet LOL .

I will one day though

Oct 25, 2017
México
I bought Dragon's Trap based on Era's impressions and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Absolutely atrocious game.

Sorry, but I can't trust you on this one. Never again.

www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is an awful game

I purchased the remake some days ago based on Era's impressions, and I gotta say, this game is beyond awful. The only redeeming quality of this game is the remade graphics, but everything is bad. The combat is horrendous, with awful detection boxes and very short range attacks. OK, fine, I can...

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to get the Switch version on a cart but I kept putting it off and now it's apparently out of print and sells for $100+. Any chance of a reprint? Would much rather own a physical version than digital.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I got it when it came out and didn't think it was especially great. Dropped it after 4 hours or so.

Now, I just recently finished Axiom Verge. That's a top 5 Metroidvania game.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Dragon's Trap based on Era's impressions and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Absolutely atrocious game.

www.resetera.com

I purchased the remake some days ago based on Era's impressions, and I gotta say, this game is beyond awful. The only redeeming quality of this game is the remade graphics, but everything is bad. The combat is horrendous, with awful detection boxes and very short range attacks. OK, fine, I can...

fantastic game. monster boy and dragons trap <3333333333

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
yah I'm still in the mansion and don't have the will power to finish the game

I wasn't 100% sold on the demo, I liked what I played but didn't love it but decided to take the jump after seeing so many folks rave about the game and seeing it rank on GOTY lists. I can see the appeal for some who are looking for something a bit more old-school but this is one of the weaker metroidvanias for me.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

I couldn't get into that game at all, but loved Monster Boy. I think there's a demo. The game gets a lot better after the initial pig transformation section though.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I got to the turn into a snake part and kinda tapped out. mean to go back. someone had a thread a few months ago about some wild stuff that happens later on, and i want to check it out

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

I just wanted to say y'all made a fantastic game and I really appreciate your approach to interacting with the community. I can't wait to see what you do next.

Also I voted for you for best upgrades in the essential platformers poll! It would be great if you stopped by and voted before it's finished on the 22nd!

monali

Mar 8, 2020

www.resetera.com

I didn't like dragon trap at all too, and that was more for the fact that dragon trap is a faithful remake to an 80s game so it's not surprising, but this game is completely different not just because it's from a totally different developer, and this being a new game in the series but because it's a modern game with great game design, a long playtime thanks to the developers taking their sweet time (5 years I think), the world is wonderful, full with many, many locations and dungeons, it's basically a Zelda game in 2d, and for anyone who loves the Zelda series this game is a must.

My only complaint is how the last part of the game feel like you switched to a NES game, not because the dungeons are bad (they are as good if not better than the earlier dungeons) but because of the enemies type introduced in these late regions and how mush they respawn, it was bizarre to say the least and the game can be a little too vague some times, but all in all it is a terrific game, and I advise you to not make your decision based on a game that has nothing to do with this one except for the fact that both are in the same series.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

www.resetera.com

I went back and beat it on Hard last week after 100%ing both WB in Monster World and Monster World IV the week before. It's okay to not have the same taste as other people.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Beat it a few weeks back. Great game. Need to go back to 100% since I got to 99.3 or something like that.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it a few weeks back. Great game. Need to go back to 100% since I got to 99.3 or something like that.
The last room for me was just before the final boss. Definitely worth consulting a full map online IMO.
Also one secret in the game is mind-blowingly obscure.... Never would've figured it out on my own. Super cool though.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The last room for me was just before the final boss. Definitely worth consulting a full map online IMO.
Also one secret in the game is mind-blowingly obscure.... Never would've figured it out on my own. Super cool though.
The well?
Lol that was a okay-I-need-a-guide moment like few others.

www.resetera.com

That's too bad but we all like different things, for me this is pure joy except for the mansion which overstayed it's welcome. Late game is gloriously retro crazy. Love it! :)

Edit: Sorry thought you were talking about Monster Boy here. But I liked Dragon's Trap as well.

Last edited:

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game is pleasant but decidedly overrated. Not in the top 10 metroidvanias. maybe top 10 metroidvania franchise

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
it's basically a Zelda game in 2d, and for anyone who loves the Zelda series this game is a must.
Zelda 2? I don't think that's a good way to sell a game on this board tbh. :p
I'm actually playing through that right now on the NES mini. I wish they would make another one, it's incredibly unique for the Zelda serie. I'd say that it still holds up. But I've always liked it, I know people hate on it here, it's not for everyone.
Iirc the Souls games were inspired by Zelda 2, with the tactical fights, difficulty and collecting experience that you lose on death etc.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Zelda 2? I don't think that's a good way to sell a game on this board tbh. :p
I'm actually playing through that right now on the NES mini. I wish they would make another one, it's incredibly unique for the Zelda serie. I'd say that it still holds up. But I've always liked it, I know people hate on it here, it's not for everyone.
Iirc the Souls games were inspired by Zelda 2, with the tactical fights, difficulty and collecting experience that you lose on death etc.
I thought Zelda 2 was generally praised here unlike many other places I've seen. It's a flawed game, but good nonetheless.
However, I don't really see much of a comparison between the games myself. Both games are difficult sure, both games have character upgrades in a slight RPG style sure, but that's about it. Monster Boy is way more puzzle-heavy game (even the character progression aims pretty much for the puzzles only), way more story telling and meaningful characters, feels a lot more linear despite being actually more free in a way than Zelda 2 (maybe due to lack of the overworld), and Zelda 2 depends on the combat way more than this game.
Now both games are good and I left my little review earlier in this thread about Monster Boy.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Zelda 2 was generally praised here unlike many other places I've seen. It's a flawed game, but good nonetheless.
However, I don't really see much of a comparison between the games myself. Both games are difficult sure, both games have character upgrades in a slight RPG style sure, but that's about it. Monster Boy is way more puzzle-heavy game (even the character progression aims pretty much for the puzzles only), way more story telling and meaningful characters, feels a lot more linear despite being actually more free in a way than Zelda 2 (maybe due to lack of the overworld), and Zelda 2 depends on the combat way more than this game.
Now both games are good and I left my little review earlier in this thread about Monster Boy.
Yeah I don't think they're similar either, just took the opportunity to talk about it a bit. There are definitely people here that like it but we're a small group I think, or maybe it's just that those who don't like it are hating it and are louder. I'm at the final palace now. Going through it smoothly using save states. It all started when my 4yo wanted to see a new Zelda, so I thought why not lol, to him this is the latest one ;)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played it. It's okay. One of those games that doesn't really know when to end (the mansion and volcano go on forever jesus), and the physics lack the polish Nintendo games and top tier indie games of this caliber have. It is a cute and charming game though, but overall I wasn't a giant fan. It's not really much of a Metroidvania though, everything feels kinda segmented from each other. Like it qualifies but it's Metroid Fusion-esque in that it ultimately ends up being fairly linear. Which I ended up liking a lot since I don't normally like Metroidvanias, so for that reason alone it might place in my top 5 of ones I've actually played, though I'd wager there exist five other Metroidvanias out there that I'd like more.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't break the top five for me:

1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Fusion
3) Order of Ecclesia
4) Dawn of Sorrow
5) Portrait of Ruin

Most of the other metroid style vania's would prob be ahead too. Good game though

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I picked it up after John from Digital Foundry announced it as his game of the year 2018.

I liked the demo a lot more than I expected, but still held off on getting it for whatever reason. When I finally saw the DF video, John mentioning who did the music for the game sealed the deal.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
My Top 5 Metrovanias are (not in any order)

-Castlevania Symphony of the Night
-Super Metroid
-Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
-Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
-Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Fusion
3) Order of Ecclesia
4) Dawn of Sorrow
5) Portrait of Ruin

Most of the other metroid style vania's would prob be ahead too. Good game though

Was thinking about this and wondering what my own top 5 would be. I think this is a great game and deserves way more love than it got but...

SotN
Order of Ecclesia
Aria/Dawn of Sorrow
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Shantae Pirates Curse
Ori and the Blind Forest
Yoku's Island Express
Bloodstained RotN

Were all way better games for me. I still loved it. I would rank it alongside Portrait of Ruin, Cave Story and Harmony of Disonance. Better than Shadow Complex and Seven Sirens.

I need to play Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played it for an hour or two and never continued, or atkeast not yet.
I loved the remake where you could play as a boy or girl, that was the first Monster Boy type game I finished, but this new one didn't grab me. Atleast not when I was playing it at first.
The cutscenes involving the uncle riding a flying barrel were lame and might be the reason I just stopped, lol.
The stained glass references were neat tho. Only vaguely know the franchise, but I recognised what they were doing there.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Fusion
3) Order of Ecclesia
4) Dawn of Sorrow
5) Portrait of Ruin

Woah is Dawn of Sorrow that good? I have it on my shelf, untouched. I'm jumping right on it! Just finished Zelda 2 today so I need something new to play, and I love Order of Ecclesia so anything that comes close to that is worth a look, thanks for the tip!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Woah is Dawn of Sorrow that good? I have it on my shelf, untouched. I'm jumping right on it! Just finished Zelda 2 today so I need something new to play, and I love Order of Ecclesia so anything that comes close to that is worth a look, thanks for the tip!
Game is great, but be warned the drop rates are pretty bad. Lot of end game grinding if you want to get all the weapons & souls.