• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
AzureFlame

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Well, first purchase of 2019!!!

49895277_10158090740333989_1522379071059656704_o.jpg

I gotta say, having a full color manual is god damn amazing and makes me feel like a kid again!
Congrats!!! This is amazing, I'm gonna get the physical version soon as well to support this game more.

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Considering what you get (20-25 extremely high quality, varied, and fun hours) it's a better value than a lot of $60 games. But I understand a lot of people have a stigmatized valuation of 2D games, and it's really unfortunate. 2D this high quality is tough to make.

It doesn't help when Hollow Knight launches underpriced on a bunch of platforms in the same year. Monster Boy looks like a rip off by comparison when HK should really be a $40 game too.

When a game is meaty and good, charge money for it, dammit!

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I just bought this myself for the switch and now I can't stop playing it. Everything from the feel and style reminds me of an old skool Saturday morning cartoon. I wish more games had this much atmosphere. Totally my game of the year from last year, I would have bought it sooner but it was really tough to find a physical copy of this game (anyone else had problems getting a physical copy?).

Sep 28, 2018
Just back to say the music in this game is masterful... Also the attention to detail and animations... This game is to Wonderboy what Sonic Mania is to classic Sonic.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fantastic game and such a joy to play. I platinumed the game over a week ago but I still hang out in the OT providing some helpful tips to the new players....I get a kick out of reading where people are getting stuck and giving them a little push in the right direction..... most of the time it will be a case of "are you kidding me ? I feel stupid now " :) I am also guilty of getting stuck on silly/obvious things during my 1st playthrough.

I am a 42yo gamer who grew up playing all the Wonder Boy games back in the arcades and on the Sega 8-16-bit consoles so this new game just resonated for me in a way I can hardly put into words. I literally shed a happy tear during the opening moments of Monster Boy -- it really hit me on how retro this game felt but in a modern way...it was a Wonderboy game through and through. The graphic style, the music, the sfx...everything just clicked immediately and I hardly put the controller down until the closing credits but then I went back and mopped up all the secrets / collectibles.

The game can be pretty tough in the later stages, but of course this is always subjective. Maybe it's just my old fingers but I struggled with some of the intricate platforming in the Volcano for instance...whereas I have viewed footage of some ppl flying through it. YMMV

So far I have put over 90hrs into the game over 2 playthroughs (currently on my 3rd). This isn't just my 2018 GOTY but would be up there being one of my favourite games of all time, I think this is a game I will still be replaying in many years to come.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, this thread...
If I start now, I'll probably have time to amend my GOTY ballot before voting closes.

You all better not be lying to me.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the chorus. 25% in and am completely in love. I haven't been able to put the game down since I bought the physical copy on the PS4. The music soooo good.

OP
OP
AzureFlame

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Fantastic game and such a joy to play. I platinumed the game over a week ago but I still hang out in the OT providing some helpful tips to the new players....I get a kick out of reading where people are getting stuck and giving them a little push in the right direction..... most of the time it will be a case of "are you kidding me ? I feel stupid now " :) I am also guilty of getting stuck on silly/obvious things during my 1st playthrough.

I am a 42yo gamer who grew up playing all the Wonder Boy games back in the arcades and on the Sega 8-16-bit consoles so this new game just resonated for me in a way I can hardly put into words. I literally shed a happy tear during the opening moments of Monster Boy -- it really hit me on how retro this game felt but in a modern way...it was a Wonderboy game through and through. The graphic style, the music, the sfx...everything just clicked immediately and I hardly put the controller down until the closing credits but then I went back and mopped up all the secrets / collectibles.

The game can be pretty tough in the later stages, but of course this is always subjective. Maybe it's just my old fingers but I struggled with some of the intricate platforming in the Volcano for instance...whereas I have viewed footage of some ppl flying through it. YMMV

So far I have put over 90hrs into the game over 2 playthroughs (currently on my 3rd). This isn't just my 2018 GOTY but would be up there being one of my favourite games of all time, I think this is a game I will still be replaying in many years to come.

The developers did an amazing job, soo much love and respect has been put into this game, even making an old fans since the beginning like you soo happy about it, things could have been gone wrong in many ways but they just did it perfectly.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Thank you so much everyone! It's awesome to read about your positive experience with Monster Boy. Makes the whole team happy ^_^ Love y'all! <3

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Mate, I played Wonder Boy this year and loved it, I've been waiting on Monster Boy price drop, but I'm inching super close to just grabbing it.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to wait and get it but I caved last week and got it digital on the Eshop. Such a fantastic game and it really does live up to the hype that I have read here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw the first 10-20 min of the game with a Quicklook from giantbomb and just wasn't convinced. Seems super easy, animation seems like it miss a few frames to be fluid. And maybe it look at bit too childish.

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing alot of this game and series but there are two on thw switch right now? the 20 dollar one which is like the first one remastered? and the 40 dollar one which is what this topic is about?
Kinda interested in getting both. How was the first one?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
how does it compare with the likes of Hollow Knight and Ori?

Those are the best ever made in my opinion, at least right now

OP
OP
AzureFlame

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Hearing alot of this game and series but there are two on thw switch right now? the 20 dollar one which is like the first one remastered? and the 40 dollar one which is what this topic is about?
Kinda interested in getting both. How was the first one?

The 20 dollar one ( The Dragon's Trap ) is great but shorter and it is a remake of an older game in the series, as for the 40 dollar one which is The Cursed Kingdom it is a new game in the series and way bigger, 20+ hours game.

I liked both of course but I love The Cursed Kingdom way more.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I was turned on the game by Dark1x 's glowing reviews, and he didn't lead me astray. I estimate that I'm maybe 50% of the way through the game since getting it for Christmas from a very quick to act wife. This is a great title, and it'll be the first that I really sink my teeth into since God of War.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I want to get this game but can't justify the £35 it is on the UK Eshop and there is no physical release here. I will get it once it gets closer to £20

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet, but I did enjoy Dragon's Trap and I've heard great things about this entry so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I am a little confused though, Dragon's Trap wasn't really a Metroidvania game, is this game different in structure/design than that?

OP
OP
AzureFlame

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet, but I did enjoy Dragon's Trap and I've heard great things about this entry so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I am a little confused though, Dragon's Trap wasn't really a Metroidvania game, is this game different in structure/design than that?

Similar but way larger and more complex.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Best games, not metroidvania. GOTY 2018 for sure. The music is also wonderful.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so this game is special. Like, REALLY special.

It's rare to play a game that oozes passion and creativity from every inch, but that's Monster Boy in a nutshell. I'm incredibly impressed with this game.

Thomas Kern ,thanks to you and your team for such a wonderful experience. I really hope you guys are considering a follow-up or something else in a similar vein, because we need more games like this.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Ok, so this game is special. Like, REALLY special.

It's rare to play a game that oozes passion and creativity from every inch, but that's Monster Boy in a nutshell. I'm incredibly impressed with this game.

Thomas Kern ,thanks to you and your team for such a wonderful experience. I really hope you guys are considering a follow-up or something else in a similar vein, because we need more games like this.
Thank you! ^_^ We still have some work to do like fine tuning and fixing some remaining bugs and glitches. Once we finished that + the PC version we'll sit together and plan our next production :)

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Thank you! ^_^ We still have some work to do like fine tuning and fixing some remaining bugs and glitches. Once we finished that + the PC version we'll sit together and plan our next production :)
Speaking of bugs, I think I encountered one in the volcano area were I had to dash into a block to move it and it didn't respawn when it fell into the lava. Don't remember exactly were it was though.

Amazing game, had to pause for 2 days because of work but will probably finish it this weekend.

Thomas Kern

Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Speaking of bugs, I think I encountered one in the volcano area were I had to dash into a block to move it and it didn't respawn when it fell into the lava. Don't remember exactly were it was though.

Amazing game, had to pause for 2 days because of work but will probably finish it this weekend.
Yes indeed that's one of them. It's fixed on Xbox One, though because it was the last patch-submission before Xmas with the latest code base.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the physical Switch version...it's incredible!!! First thing I noticed was how precise the controls are.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game on eshop after reading through this thread. Will play it once I'm done with Trails in the Sky on PC. Can't wait \o/

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not dissing the game as I haven't played it but I feel like I see this topic title multiple times every year with the latest indie hotness

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not dissing the game as I haven't played it but I feel like I see this topic title multiple times every year with the latest indie hotness

Fair enough.

This is the best indie game I've played since Hollow Knight though (haven't played Into the Breach yet).

I think what really surprised me are the production values. They're top notch. This game clearly had a lot of love put into it and they were given a ton of time to make it special.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

And many of those are considered in the best Metroidvanias ever released. I also haven't played this yet, but Hollow Knight, Ori, etc - games that have been praised the same way - are considered major additions to the genre.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I adored getting 100% last month, shot immediately up into my top games of the year as well. Took 23 hours and I couldn't stop playing it from the moment I started.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough.

This is the best indie game I've played since Hollow Knight though (haven't played Into the Breach yet).
I got Into the breach over Xmas. It's def high on my GOTY list

Definitely interested in this game but I'm gonna wait for a sale. $40 is a bit high imo and I've been known to drop these tupes of games due to the backtracking. Lost interest in HK for this reason.

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Its a game i got on my wishlist, look amazing! Just waiting for a little price drop on it, at 50$ CND, its a bit expensive for me even if its fully worth it. Think a 30% discount will make me move.

OP
OP
AzureFlame

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

Of course if there is amazing indie games they will be mentioned, there have been many amazing ones in the past few years, this one is very special for me tho.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does it compare to Hollow Knight? That's my new gold standard for the genre.
I think it's way better, but they're quite opposite ends of the Metroidvania spectrum. Monster Boy is a game where every screen is a meticulously designed puzzle or challenge, and the game is constantly adding new mechanics and abilities, until there's a staggering amount at your disposal. Hollow Knight has very simple mechanics and is more of a big maze of a game.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It is a great metroidvania experience. Too bad about the horrible grating soundtrack, though. It is a bit like playing Dragon Quest XI with the horrible MIDI music, but in this game there is no mod to fix the issue.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Finally got around to playing about 2 hours of this last night. I'm loving it so far! Can't wait to play more!