• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Title should read March 14th. I'll ask a mod to edit.

I've been reading wonderful things about this game (in threads like this one) but haven't gotten to check it out yet, so this demo will only entice me to do so sooner. Especially since the save from the demo carries over to the full game. That's my fave. Credit to Nintendo Life where I read about this.

Tweet text: 6 Days Left! #MonsterBoyGame #NintendoSwitch #FreeDemo pic.twitter.com/G5fW54ugy9— FDG Entertainment (@FDG_Games) March 8, 2019

(via NintendoLife.com)

By the way, the game has an 87 average over on OpenCritic and Metacritic.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games of 2018. Hopefully the demo gets more people to check out this wonderful title.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Definitely try out the game for anyone that loves metroidvania style games or is just a fan of monsterboy. I got lucky about two weeks ago and snagged a "acceptable" used copy off amazon for $20 that included everything and was in great condition. The art style is charming, and everything about the game is just fun.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent game. Finished third for 2018 for me, just behind Celeste and Dragon Quest XI. It has a fantastic soundtrack, and the map system is probably one of the most useful I've seen in the genre. I wish more Metroidvania maps were as robust (and beautiful!).

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
Don't sleep on this one. It ended up as my GotY of 2018 (alongside Go Vacation).
Great little metroidvania with fantastic dungeons and a hint of retro charm.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh sweet March Oneth!

This is pretty great though, I had this on my list to play so a demo would be great.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though a demo, depending on its format, might not be the best selling point.

The beginning of the game's disempowerment of the player via pig form is the least fun section by far.

Still, good on them for putting it out there. Good game that more people should play, and more games having demos is always welcome.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I gave up on Monster Boy while I was in Pig Form because it was a really boring slog and returned my cop, but I've wanted to try the game again.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Cool, I'll try it out.

Excellent game. Finished third for 2018 for me, just behind Celeste and Dragon Quest XI. It has a fantastic soundtrack, and the map system is probably one of the most useful I've seen in the genre. I wish more Metroidvania maps were as robust (and beautiful!).
Don't sleep on this one. It ended up as my GotY of 2018 (alongside Go Vacation).
Great little metroidvania with fantastic dungeons and a hint of retro charm.
I enjoy metroidvanias, but how's the difficulty? To give you an idea of my "capabilities", I got irretrievably stuck in Hollow Knight already with Hornet.
My idea of metroidvanias I can handle are Yoku and Steamworld Dig 2.

Is this the new Monster Boy game or the old remake?
It's the new one.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hope it gets a mini price drop multi-plat too

Don't doubt it's worth it, but just personally £32.99 is above my biting point

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I was curious when the demo was coming! Definitely interested in this if it's accompanied by a respectable price drop. Probably going to pick between this and Baba Is You tomorrow.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How's the difficulty? To give you an idea of my "capabilities", I got irretrievably stuck in Hollow Knight with Hornet.

It can be deceptively difficult, but a very different difficulty than Hollow Knight; the bosses are the easier part of Monster Boy, with the puzzles and environment being the challenging part.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Exciting! I played Dragon's Trap and thought it was great, but prob won't get around to buying this for a bit.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy metroidvanias, but how's the difficulty? To give you an idea of my "capabilities", I got irretrievably stuck in Hollow Knight already with Hornet.
There are some difficult/tricky sections, and it can be harder early on when your character is more limited, but it's not on the level of Hollow Knight. It's not as easy as Yoku's as this is more action-based. Maybe more like Steamworld Dig 2, although I found most of that game to be a bit too easy except for the final set of challenges, which pushed me to the brink in a couple cases. In the end though, totally worth it. It's also very meaty in terms of content, which I'd say is more along the lines of Hollow Knight (it's been a long time since I played some of these, so my memory might be a bit on the hazy side!).

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
Cool, I'll try it out.
It's easy to die in it, especially early on, but it doesn't punish you a whole lot for it. About halfway into the game I stopped dying completely. If only it wasn't for a certain money making trick, I could've had a decently low death count at the end of the game...

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really need a demo, as much as I kind of want a 20% off sale to fit it in what I have allocated currently for Switch games.

I've kind of just patiently been waiting since I haven't needed to play it, and have a lot to still play in other games.

Demo is appreciated and I hope it helps the deva sell more games, but I feel like a lot of people are just waiting on a sale

Jul 26, 2018
Don't want to be a Debbie downer but... I'll just say that the game's 87 aggregate score is off for me. I'm near the end and the game is a solid 7 all things considered. I was hoping for something near Guacamelee/Hollow Knight quality so maybe the expectations in place wronged my experience. Definitely would not recommend at 40.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Don't want to be a Debbie downer but... I'll just say that the game's 87 aggregate score is off for me. I'm near the end and the game is a solid 7 all things considered. I was hoping for something near Guacamelee/Hollow Knight quality so maybe the expectations in place wronged my experience. Definitely would not recommend at 40.
Nothing wrong with feeling that way, I personally only paid 20 but feel it was worth 40 if I had paid full price. It just might not have been what you were looking for. For example I got hollow knight the first time it went on a steam sale and have always regretted it due to expectations I had of it. The game seemed like a no brainer for me to get; I love metroidvania games, and everyone just wouldnt stop going on about how great the game was. It was just so disappointing when I ended up not liking the game; especially since its such a great value with all the post launch support it got.