• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
It is what it is. Sony will have their studios help too like Death Stranding recently. Just hope Honne will be able to get a development team one day and that will be 3 development teams for Monolith.

The amount of times that Nintendo does it to feed their own portfolio of Mario, Zelda, etc is way way more than Sony.

but I hope the same.. not just for Honne's branch, but for all of them including the X team.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
What the fuck is going on here
Why are people complaining about Nintendo trusting Monolith for assisting them in their most big ass blockbuster games ever

Also lol at the "Nintendo EPD isn't enough ?". Nah.
EPD isn't even enough for the likes of Arms and Mario Kart 8, they need assist from Bandai Namco, and yet you expect them to be enough for their most AAA games ever ?

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
My shitty crack at translating the images. I don't know all the correct technical names in English tho:

Technical Artists
  • Modelling Tech artist
  • Rigging/animation artist
  • Effects tech artist
Programmers
  • Character controls programmer (action)
  • Environmental tools programmer
  • System framework programmer
Planners
  • Action Part (set piece?) planner
  • Map planner (level design)
  • Mission planner
  • Scenario planner
Design
  • Main character designer
  • Concept artist
  • Character modeler
  • Map modeler
  • In-game animator
  • Event production (the kanji makes me think this refers to cutscenes)
Management Support
  • Project manager

(i didn't mean for those two bullet points to be bold, i just can't un-bold them lol)

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck is going on here
Why are people complaining about Nintendo trusting Monolith for assisting them in their most big ass blockbuster games ever

Also lol at the "Nintendo EPD isn't enough ?". Nah.
EPD isn't even enough for the likes of Arms and Mario Kart 8, they need assist from Bandai Namco, and yet you expect them to be enough for their most AAA games ever ?
Because people thinks that a custom 3d world modeling could be found in the chips pack.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My shitty crack at translating the images. I don't know all the correct technical names in English tho:

Technical Artists
  • Modelling Tech artist
  • Rigging/animation artist
  • Effects tech artist
Programmers
  • Character controls programmer (action)
  • Environmental tools programmer
  • System framework programmer
Planners
  • Action Part (set piece?) planner
  • Map planner (level design)
  • Mission planner
  • Scenario planner
Design
  • Main character designer
  • Concept artist
  • Character modeler
  • Map modeler
  • In-game animator
  • Event production (the kanji makes me think this refers to cutscenes)
Management Support
  • Project manager

(i didn't mean for those two bullet points to be bold, i just can't un-bold them lol)
Isn't it literally the same positions like they put out in March? I think it's just a template they continue to put out. I mean some of these positions tell you that.

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019

I can't see what all was under the positions they promoted in March, but it seems kind of...expanded? Like the general types of staff are the same (planners, gpp, tech artists) but what missions they're specifically needed for seems to have grown.

I have no idea what the recruitment looked like for BotW but based on my experience working for a AAA studio this looks...big.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see what all was under the positions they promoted in March, but it seems kind of...expanded? Like the general types of staff are the same (planners, gpp, tech artists) but what missions they're specifically needed for seems to have grown.

I have no idea what the recruitment looked like for BotW but based on my experience working for a AAA studio this looks...big.
Ok I found this. When they first posted what they were working on Zelda and recruiting back in March, these were the positions they put. Does it seem to match?

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Guys...you understand that the more Monolith works on a game, the bigger the cut they get out of the sales of said game are, right ? Monolith helped developing successful games like Skyward Sword, Splatoon and Animal Crossing but it's only after BotW since they were so involved with the OW that they began growing steadily, the time/resources they are given to work on Xenoblade (and probably their new IP too) are way better than what they were used to with other Xeno games

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep it does lol

I guess the question is - have these remained unfilled since March, or are they just continuously staffing for them?
They're continuously staffing. Unless they want to retain a certain size, they just want as many people as possible in those particular roles

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys...you understand that the more Monolith works on a game, the bigger the cut they get out of the sales of a game are, right ?
i uh... i don't think that's correct. they're a part of nintendo, they're not getting a cut from the sales. of course it's better when the games they're helped with (animal crossing, splatoon, zelda) sell well, but it's not like they're getting a percentage.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Do we actually have confirmation this action rpg fantasy game exists instead of just speculation? Like is there an actual quote from Monolith acknowledging they are working on something other than Xenoblade or zelda?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we actually have confirmation this action rpg fantasy game exists instead of just speculation? Like is there an actual quote from Monolith acknowledging they are working on something other than Xenoblade or zelda?
They still have their arpg page up, in a dedicated space like their Xenoblade and Zelda pages
www.monolithsoft.co.jp

急募アクションゲーム開発経験者スタッフ積極採用中!|採用情報|株式会社モノリスソフト

モノリスソフトのブランドイメージとは異なる意欲的なプロジェクト。アクションゲーム開発経験者を募集しております。

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They still have their arpg page up, in a dedicated space like their Xenoblade and Zelda pages
www.monolithsoft.co.jp

急募アクションゲーム開発経験者スタッフ積極採用中!|採用情報|株式会社モノリスソフト

モノリスソフトのブランドイメージとは異なる意欲的なプロジェクト。アクションゲーム開発経験者を募集しております。

Good to know. I was getting a bit worried because of that quote which said the only thing Nintendo would greenlight is Xenoblade. I don't think this project would be Xenoblade if its an action rpg.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. I was getting a bit worried because of that quote which said the only thing Nintendo would greenlight is Xenoblade. I don't think this project would be Xenoblade if its an action rpg.

I think people are taking Takahashi at face value a bit too much, he also said he wasn't sure if the Xenoblade franchise was continuing when they were already working on Xenoblade 2.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
To me it seems clear that part of nintendo's plan for HD development was/is to grow Monolith Kyoto as an all-round support studio for all of their first party games. The EPD studios contain the directors/main producers and the staff that lays out the core gameplay and Monolith Kyoto assisting where needed (together with external partners like Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo).

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
People still have this tendency to think of Monolithsoft as an independent studio and not part of Nintendo first party for some reason...

Mimosa

Verified
Oct 23, 2019
2020 dream is still alive until Nintendo says it's dead.

These are all positions that can easily come once a game is far into development.

I'm veering into speculation now but actually I wouldn't be surprised if the artistic direction changes quite a bit from what we saw in the E3 teaser, since the character designs felt more like placeholders

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between this and the March 2019 recruitment drive is that they're hiring freelancers. They were hiring for full-time employees with experience back in March. Nintendo/MS typically hires freelancers toward the tail-end of development, so whatever Zelda project MS is working on must be nearing completion.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
2020 dream feels over lol

Q4 2020 might still happen but "Concept art designer" and "map modeler" a year out seems a bit unrealistic... so yeah probably mid to late 2021.

Unless they're hiring for a different Zelda game.

The difference between this and the March 2019 recruitment drive is that they're hiring freelancers. They were hiring for full-time employees with experience back in March. Nintendo/MS typically hires freelancers toward the tail-end of development, so whatever Zelda project MS is working on must be nearing completion.

Ooooooh......

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep it does lol

I guess the question is - have these remained unfilled since March, or are they just continuously staffing for them?
They've hired so many people since March. I'm pretty sure it's just a blanket. They just want to continue hiring for all positions. They've definitely hired for some of these. They just want more.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The translation in English says they're working on something they've never done with their brand. It's a a completely new IP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW2 isn't coming out in 2020 is it.
2020 dream feels over lol
Q4 2020 might still happen but "Concept art designer" and "map modeler" a year out seems a bit unrealistic... so yeah probably mid to late 2021.

Unless they're hiring for a different Zelda game.

Ooooooh......

why can't people understand THIS ISNT NEW. Do you think they need these some of these positions now for BotW 2? They've literally developed BotW 2 for over 2 years now. It's just a template of positions they're continuously hiring at Monolith. The game has a very high chance coming 2020. This is just them wanting more people for any position now and future Zelda games

The only thing new is the freelancer positions

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It looks like a push to make a 2020 release methinks. Otherwise, it wouldn't look like a manic push to throw as many resources at it to get it completed by then.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
why can't people understand THIS ISNT NEW. Do you think they need these some of these positions now for BotW 2? They've literally developed BotW 2 for over 2 years now. It's just a template of positions they're continuously hiring at Monolith. The game has a very high chance coming 2020. This is just them wanting more people for any position now and future Zelda games

The only thing new is the freelancer positions

I always thought Monolith was not working on BotW 2 since it started out as DLC. The open world tech is already done just needs more content which I assume EPD can handle themselves.

So this recruitment is probably for the next project

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Monolith was not working on BotW 2 since it started out as DLC. The open world tech is already done just needs more content which I assume EPD can handle themselves.

you think it's gonna be the same exact hyrule, and that's it? they will for sure design new open areas to explore.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You think this Zelda recruitment is probably for the next Zelda game after BotW 2?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority but I don't like this
Zelda botw is my game of the generation but will Nintendo keep using Monolithsoft forever?

Monolithsoft hiring is great news but I want them to hire for their own ambitious projects... but I guess its useless to hope for this since Nintendo won't give the green to any project other than "Xenoblade".
3B004FAC-9C6E-46CE-B178-67D30C41223A.jpeg
[\quote]

Monolith has 3 or 4 projects going at the same time right now and is on their 3rd generation of Switch software of their own stuff, they are absolutely showing a ton of output this generation, not just xenoblade and support, but within the next 18 months or so, they will have this title out in the wild too.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm hoping that this leads to a lot of open world development. My main concern is that BOTW2 is either going to be a) same map but altered a bit, b) underground in enclosed areas (unless they make underground feel like overground).

My hope is that the very brief shot of Hyrule Castle levitating at the end of the clip is the start of it being taken to a completely new land.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Zelda botw is my game of the generation but will Nintendo keep using Monolithsoft forever?

Monolithsoft hiring is great news but I want them to hire for their own ambitious projects... but I guess its useless to hope for this since Nintendo won't give the green to any project other than "Xenoblade".

I think this is overblown. They are still working their own series and at least one of those is supposedly a new property. They've worked to support core Nintendo titles for years now so this isn't something new or outlandish. They continue to grow and expand the scope of their projects, this includes Xenoblade, Zelda, and new stuff too. I don't see the issue

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You think this Zelda recruitment is probably for the next Zelda game after BotW 2?

Yeah, I don't think that's an unreasonable interpretation? Nintendo is obviously always thinking ahead and if BotW 2 is releasing next year they're probably prepping for the next-gen Zelda at least.

you think it's gonna be the same exact hyrule, and that's it? they will for sure design new open areas to explore.

I would love a whole new open world but considering it's a direct sequel I have feeling it'll mostly be the same with new areas. Probably dungeons. Which EPD could handle themselves I think with some minor support from Monolith.

That's just how I thought of it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think that's an unreasonable interpretation? Nintendo is obviously always thinking ahead and if BotW 2 is releasing next year they're probably prepping for the next-gen Zelda at least.

I already said this earlier. This Zelda recruitment is for BotW 2 and future Zelda projects. They posted this recruitment back in March, except for the freelancers which is new.

To me this is just a general Zelda recruitment and that's why they didn't specify it's for "BotW 2".

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Have a feeling the same people complaining about Monolith assisting on other Nintendo games would complain if they were taken off and BotW2 wound up not as good or massively delayed

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can thank Monolith Soft for BotW. If Nintendo didn't own Monolith (this is why owning studios and expanding first party is good) we would've never got BotW most likely.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

I kind of understand your point, and I still are slightly mad at Nintendo (or Monolith who knows) for rushing Xc2 and developing it with a really small team. And yeah BotW is my favorite game ever.

But as Monolith has been hiring nonstop the last months, I think their next project will have more resources and hopefully we won't have another Xc2 situation again.

I hope that the XC DE development doesn't use too much time or resources and that they are at the same time involved in something new that is not related to Xenoblade.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I kind of understand your point, and I still are slightly mad at Nintendo (or Monolith who knows) for rushing Xc2 and developing it with a really small team. And yeah BotW is my favorite game ever.

But as Monolith has been hiring nonstop the last months, I think their next project will have more resources and hopefully we won't have another Xc2 situation again.
We won't have an early XC2 situation anymore because MS has already said that they have gotten better at implementing the Switch hardware, that was already seen in Torna which looks and runs better than base XC2. XCDE is supposedly going to look even better than that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monolith has grown nearly 100 people more since BotW released. They've had INSANE growth. If Nintendo only pulls the same amount of people they used for BotW, Monolith will have wayyyy more people for their own internal game development. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or whatever the next Xenoblade game is should not be short handed

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
We won't have an early XC2 situation anymore because MS has already said that they have gotten better at implementing the Switch hardware, that was already seen in Torna which looks and runs better than base XC2. XCDE is supposedly going to look even better than that.
Xc2's problem was not only a matter of hardware knowledge, the game had a day one patch fixing the menus and several patches during the first months fixing lots of QoL problems, they decided to launch the game on Switch's first year and this was the main reason they had no time to polish lots of rough things in the game. I'm optimistic that their next project will be better managed, but as they are current working in BotW and XC DE, I hope they give time to their new project instead of deciding in a unrealistic release date.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Xc2's problem was not only a matter of hardware knowledge, the game had a day one patch fixing the menus and several patches during the first months fixing lots of QoL problems, they decided to launch the game on Switch's first year and this was the main reason they had no time to polish lots of rough things in the game. I'm optimistic that their next project will be better managed, but as they are current working in BotW and XC DE, I hope they give time to their new project instead of deciding in a unrealistic release date.
I also doubt yet another rushed game will happen since they're not going to be forced to release a title on a console launch year again (that's until Switch 2 happens at least).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I imagine a big part of the reason XCDE exists is to onboard new staff and give more time to prepare for bigger projects behind the scenes.