• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand why people are trying to tell us not to expect a new IP. All of you and I were parroting it was a new IP for the past 2 years. Nothing says they started on Zelda. It could go either way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"A product different from their brand image". What else would that be? You think they're bringing back Soma Bringer or an old IP?
Yeah, the number of IPs that Monolith Soft is associated with as their own creations is pretty small:

Xeno-
Baten Kaitos
Project X Zone
Soma Bringer
Disaster: Day of Crisis

Am I missing anything?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the number of IPs that Monolith Soft is associated with as their own creations is pretty small:

Xeno-
Baten Kaitos
Project X Zone
Soma Bringer
Disaster: Day of Crisis

Am I missing anything?
It says they did Super Robot games. I never heard of them, but that's it.

Again they're hiring the same positions as last year. They probably started helping Nintendo when Nintendo was ready to make a game after Botw. They're making their new IP and helping Zelda since 2017. I feel like that's reasonable to say.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
"A product different from their brand image". What else would that be? You think they're bringing back Soma Bringer or an old IP?

It could be anything but the Xeno series, which is what they're known for. I also think it applies to Soma Bringer, Baten Kaitos, or Disaster.

Zelda is a bit tricky to figure out. I think the Zelda games don't fall under their "brand image" despite having worked on several games. It almost fits the description of what MS were searching for two years ago.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'm curious when it will be announced, E3 seems too soon and Nintendo may want to not have Pokémon or Animal Crossing overshadowed, a September Direct could work, but I was thinking it would be announced via a teaser at the Game Awards and a reveal in a January/February Direct. That would give Nintendo 10-11 months for marketing with a big E3/Treehouse presence at E3 2020. Though I would be all for it being revealed this E3.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why people are trying to tell us not to expect a new IP. All of you and I were parroting it was a new IP for the past 2 years. Nothing says they started on Zelda. It could go either way.

Because it came from a certain someone on NeoGAF who translated the recruitment page (I'm not naming the person out of respect for them). They mistakenly assumed it was a new IP from the very beginning. Everyone, including me, thought it was stated to be a new IP because of this person's misunderstanding.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
well it benefits from being started after Zelda released so they should have all their staff back, especially for engineering

Monolith never had engineering on BOTW. They co-developed the topography/animation (Tokyo) and worked on assets (Kyoto). The DLC however, did have some Monolith programmers assisting Nintendo programmers.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
the image of the warrior princess actually always remind me of sheik suit at least XD

Well, regarding the attire seen in the sketch with the red dragon, the color combination indeedly looks like something Sheik or even Impa could wear, of course like with everything else it could be a coincidence.

Part of that involved speculation too, there's a lot of uncertainity beyond what Monolith Soft and Nintendo themselves have said.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monolith never had engineering on BOTW. They co-developed the topography/animation (Tokyo) and worked on assets (Kyoto). The DLC however, did have some Monolith programmers assisting Nintendo programmers.
So they had some programmers working on Botw DLC. You can say those same programmers started helping with the next 3D Zelda game. That doesn't mean the Production 2 team didn't start a new IP at the same time.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
About previous Zelda collaborations, I think that Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds were made (assisted) by the asset studio in Kyoto just like with Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin or Smash Bros, and not the main team in Tokyo that lend half of their employees to make Breath of the wild, but I can't find any article or source that says this or otherwise. It'd be great if someone has information about this.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
About previous Zelda collaborations, I think that Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds were made (assisted) by the asset studio in Kyoto just like with Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin or Smash Bros, and not the main team in Tokyo that lend half of their employees to make Breath of the wild, but I can't find any article or source that says this or otherwise. It'd be great if someone has information about this.
Smash Bros. Brawl and Skyward Sword were developed before the Kyoto studio opened, so I think the Tokyo studio assisted on both of those.

The rest of the games you mention were assisted by the Kyoto studio aside from Breath of the Wild. I don't remember if Breath of the Wild was just Monolith Tokyo or both Monolith Tokyo and Kyoto.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's interesting to see Nintendo confirming that they are making a new Zelda in collaboration with Monolithsoft this way. We all knew that Aonuma and the team were working on something, but letting Monolith open work offers especifically for a Zelda project is really interesting.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've been keeping up with this thread on and off, but have lost track - is Zelda the 'new IP' or can we expect something else along with Zelda and Xeno?

I love Monolith Soft, but have mixed emotions if they really are at the helm of a new Zelda game.

It would be great to see the studio hit the big leagues in a major way by having an even larger role in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

But I also think MS have way more to offer the world than 'just' Zelda, with all due respect.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Smash Bros. Brawl and Skyward Sword were developed before the Kyoto studio opened, so I think the Tokyo studio assisted on both of those.

The rest of the games you mention were assisted by the Kyoto studio aside from Breath of the Wild. I don't remember if Breath of the Wild was just Monolith Tokyo or both Monolith Tokyo and Kyoto.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think that many people in the Kyoto team were working in Tokyo before the studio opened, Honne-san, for starters. If that's true, then they had a small assist team before they moved to Kyoto and hired more people, so the people working in SS was probably not the same that helped with BOTW...

But I also think MS have way more to offer the world than 'just' Zelda, with all due respect.
I agree, but I'm not concerned. If they let Takahashi do his thing, and the second team (Zelda) don't interfere, I'm happy. And that's what's apparently happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.