• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think the lines between what is XC3 and XCX2 could be blurred... we might get a game that, somehow, brings those worlds, systems and larger narratives together.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with the narrative set by Xenoblade 1 and 2. trying to tie X into it will just feel sloppy and unnecessary

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
I'm done with the narrative set by Xenoblade 1 and 2. trying to tie X into it will just feel sloppy and unnecessary

Agree with that. Just let Mira and X's world be their own thing. With the ending of 2 and the whole multiverse thing anyone can think and act like X is part of that anyway, but I don't need an official tie-in.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I still want one game where we specifically play as a gender-swapped Klaus and Galea but yeah I think I agree with you. X is just so different that I really have no idea how they could make it satisfyingly tie in to the rest of the series (beyond the obvious multiverse stuff)

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Can anyone verify this person? Is there some proof or credential we have to back this person up?

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It's fine if they want to continue with Xenoblade, but I don't want to see Nintendo that somewhat blocks the creativity of this team. Let them do a smaller scale project and a Xenoblade at the same time.
Is the insider reliable though? It looks to me that they're implying that they don't have much to show right now and I hoped we would have seen the next Xenoblade next year.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if they want to continue with Xenoblade, but I don't want to see Nintendo that somewhat blocks the creativity of this team. Let them do a smaller scale project and a Xenoblade at the same time.
Is the insider reliable though? It looks to me that they're implying that they don't have much to show right now and I hoped we would have seen the next Xenoblade next year.
I doubt Nintendo would want to block any new IP they make, but it's likely they still need MS for the "Triple A Blockbuster" titles that people seem to want from Nintendo, especially moreso with the Switch and its consolidated platform), hence why they also need them for BotW2.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I doubt Nintendo would want to block any new IP they make, but it's likely they still need MS for the "Triple A Blockbuster" titles that people seem to want from Nintendo, especially moreso with the Switch and its consolidated platform), hence why they also need them for BotW2.
Yeah, it's clear to me that at this point Nintendo will always deploy PT#2 as manpower to big title like BotW2. The point is, this insider make it looks like PT2 is not big enough to handle a smaller title and also that PT1 is obliged to do Xenoblade games which are the only successful ones by Monolith. If you think about it this way, it's almost as Nintendo is actually trying to avoid new IP development by them, but this is just my 2 cents on what I just read. Idk, the whole situation is rather confusing and it's always pointing in the direction where Monolith has only another title in development (XC3 or XCX2) and not side whole project like the medieval action RPG the rumor talked about many times in the past.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's clear to me that at this point Nintendo will always deploy PT#2 as manpower to big title like BotW2. The point is, this insider make it looks like PT2 is not big enough to handle a smaller title and also that PT1 is obliged to do Xenoblade games which are the only successful ones by Monolith. If you think about it this way, it's almost as Nintendo is actually trying to avoid new IP development by them, but this is just my 2 cents on what I just read. Idk, the whole situation is rather confusing and it's always pointing in the direction where Monolith has only another title in development (XC3 or XCX2) and not side whole project like the medieval action RPG the rumor talked about many times in the past.
I thought PT1 could work on multiple concurrent projects? That would explain why DE had a "budget/time constraint" and PT1 didn't want to spend forever wanting to rework XC from the ground up completely.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why new IP and AAA are mutually exclusive.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why new IP and AAA are mutually exclusive.
I think it's really up to Takahashi if he wants it to be a new Xenoblade or not.

I wouldn't mind if the whole 2013 concept art was for a new Soma Bringer that was more serious.

But people have weird expectations and a new IP comes with its own skepticism, esepcially if what people have come to expect from MS is "open world games". Suddenly you'll have people comparing whatever they make to that new Horizon game...

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So who's going to get what they want then - XC/XC2 fans or X fans? Place your bets.
I mean making Xenoblade 3 and then X2 seems the most logical thing to do, 2 is the best selling title in the series so that line of the franchise has to continue, meanwhile they can make an X port and if it's successful enough they can greenlit X2 and do it for the next console

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I thought PT1 could work on multiple concurrent projects? That would explain why DE had a "budget/time constraint" and PT1 didn't want to spend forever wanting to rework XC from the ground up completely.
It could, but honestly, are we sure that they want to replicate the Xenoblade 2 situation where they had 50-something MS employees and the rest in outsourcing? Xenoblade 2 has been patched a lot in the month following its release, I'd assume MS would want to avoid this and deal with the development itself with all the possible resources.
Just speculating obv

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
XB3 still seems the most likely one to happen. Can't image them porting X or making X2 when Takahashi again talks about time and budget in the interview lol. Come on Nintendo, give them time and resources to actually finish games without out-sourcing.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean making Xenoblade 3 and then X2 seems the most logical thing to do, 2 is the best selling title in the series so that line of the franchise has to continue, meanwhile they can make an X port and if it's successful enough they can greenlit X2 and do it for the next console
no no

there are two god damn games and like 3 ports of the first game. XCX2 first, meet me outside m8

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XB3 still seems the most likely one to happen. Can't image them porting X or making X2 when Takahashi again talks about time and budget in the interview lol. Come on Nintendo, give them time and resources to actually finish games without out-sourcing.
you CAN'T make a game without outsourcing. go indie and make a "small" game for 5 years then

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So who's going to get what they want then - XC/XC2 fans or X fans? Place your bets.

I agree. Consolidate the main series with a higher budget XB3, then port X and develop X2 with the more powerful Succ as the target.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I should say not heavily outsourcing like XB2, even for EPD games there's outsourcing, but for XB2 it's a different level.
that's the entire point of Monolith's new structure. Production Team 2 will be Monolith's dedicated Zelda Support team. if they do another game, we won't know until they actually do it

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
So...the supposed insider had more things to say.

[Hidden content]
Let's check the hidden content...
I would love to see a new smaller game like the ones they did for Bandai Namco (PxZ, Endless Frontier, that DBZ RPG...), I know the director is long gone, but I'm sure somebody else at Monolith Soft could do it. Even a new Disaster: Day of Crisis would be great, I might be the only one but loved that game.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
So...the supposed insider had more things to say.

[Hidden content]
They said the following things:

-Claims that "This story never truly ends..." in XBX wasn't originally there. Seems to be less pessimistic about the possibility of a sequel to X compared to 1 year ago based on fan requests these days.

-Last year they said that the next game was highly unlikely to be either XB3 or XBX2 based on some stuff that they saw. Turns out it was for Future Connected. Some of the materials intended for FC never showed up in the final product.

-Reiterates that new IP development is very difficult under Nintendo. Also repeats that the fantasy artwork is similar to the 2013 artwork. Honne publicly stated to JP fans that the 2017 fantasy artwork was for recruitment purposes only.

-They personally haven't seen enough of anything to think about the possibility of a new IP coming anytime soon. Believes that MS will get to release a new IP someday. Seems to think that it probably never existed. *shrugs*

-Not entirely discounting the possibility of a new IP. Found out about BOTW2 a week and half prior to its reveal.

-No friction between Takahashi/Xenoblade team and Nintendo. Takahashi is content with doing only Xenoblade. There are other people in the company that have the ability to create and direct projects.

-Honne is "unbelievably good" at his current job (Kyoto Studio director I believe?) Seems like it would be very difficult to replace him, therefore he might not get the opportunity to direct a game anytime soon.

I hope nobody minds if I post it this way instead