• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy a Switch 'Home'?

• Yeah, I play docked only anyway

Votes: 214 36.6%
  • No, I'll stick with the hybrid balance between portable and home

Votes: 331 56.6%
  • Lite - Handheld only baby!

Votes: 40 6.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if the Switch "Pro" existed, but the extra processing power was used primarily for better battery life?

:P

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole point is that it's a full Nintendo console that's a handheld.

You sacrifice power for portability.

A home console would either separate it from the handheld again, or fail to take advantage of any extra power.

Not really.

It would play the exact same games just with better (locked) fps, higher resolution, AA, some better effects and better loading times.

Would be there day 1.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I would get it, but there would be no 3rd party purchases for it anymore. If i have to be tethered to a tv ill just buy games for pro or X to get a vastly superior experience.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I play my switch docked 90% of the time, but that 10% it's super convenient to take on the go. I don't think I'd give it up.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
In theory would be a perfect line up sharing the same game library, accounts, saves. Buy what suits you best:
- Docked powerful Console
- Hybrid
- Lite (handheld)

But in practice, the differences in power would make it really hard to develop a game that works on all 3 forms with their full potential.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So if Pro came out and it was say somewhere around 1.5 TFLOPS (FP32) with 8GB RAM and 8 core processor, with a chip that could upscale anything to 2x its output resolution (so 1080p would become "4k"), it even came with a Pro Controller and Ethernet Port, the monkey's paw would be that yopu couldn't take it with you on the go. Basically the opposite situation with the Lite where you can only take it on the go.

Would you buy it or stick with the hybrid (how God originally intended)?

I'm not going into the technical aspects fully because I don't want someone saying "1.5 TFLOPS would be impossible because blah blah" I just want to ask a hypothetical Monkey's Paw what if scenario, especially now they have a Lite that has proven Nintendo are willing to optimise the Switch for handheld only play, what if they built a "Switch" for home console only play?
Giddyup. I'll take it. I bought a beautiful 4k hdr tv last year and I game 90% of the time on the tv.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I would bite. It would be nice to have a bit more power, but I know I would play it significantly less. The Switch's hybrid nature is the reason I'm able to play it as much as I do. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
A Switch Home + a Switch Lite is way more appealing to me than a hybrid switch.
Yup, even without any performance changes over the current docked and undocked modes. A handheld only user shouldn't have to pay for gimmicks that exist only to support the fixed console use case, and vice versa. Someone who would want both use cases can still buy both devices at will, but would have two devices solely dedicated to being the best at their way of playing instead of having a singular master of none.

The one issue is that Nintendo would need a reliable and free cloud save syncing service, so that people who want to own both could still Switch whenever they want, no locked off saves.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
At this point yeah, I would, assuming I could access all of my games in my original Switch AND on the new one.

I don't often use the handheld mode.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be interested in that, to be honest. I only play docked when playing local co-op, and I already have a PS4 for my "docked" gaming, so I feel like a home Switch would be redundant for me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If it's only docked, would expect a console with the hardware power of a PS5 rather than a buffed Switch. It would be pointless anyway since all the games would need to run properly on the OG Switch and Lite as well.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch is my most played console precisely because I can just pick it up and play whenever I want. I can dock it and play on the couch, or I can take it and play it on my bed or elsewhere.

That hybrid flexibility is why I'm not even interested in the Lite, let alone a hypothetical Pro.

I know this is a hypothetical question, but the amount of people who genuinely believe this type of thing is possible - i.e. a machine that can magically make every existing title run at 4 times the resolution and with a doubled or tripled performance profile - is crazy. The discourse around Switch models at the moment is bananas.

"I love the Switch! But I'd love it more if it was anything but the Switch!"

Again, not a dig at the OP, just the nonsense that seems to surround this hardware on a day to day basis.

This as well. Any game designed to play the power game on a hypothetical Pro would most likely not be playable on the standard or Lite, and I'd really rather not go back to split libraries.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Heck yeah, easy question for me.

I never undock mine and would enjoy the power boost they'd be able to put in a unit if they didn't have to worry about the portability aspect.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I mostly play docked, but being able to undock is still a great feature, so no thanks. I don't play the Switch for cutting edge graphics.