• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy a Switch 'Home'?

• Yeah, I play docked only anyway

Votes: 214 36.6%
  • No, I'll stick with the hybrid balance between portable and home

Votes: 331 56.6%
  • Lite - Handheld only baby!

Votes: 40 6.8%

• Total voters

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So if Pro came out and it was say somewhere around 1.5 TFLOPS (FP32) with 8GB RAM and 8 core processor, with a chip that could upscale anything to 2x its output resolution (so 1080p would become "4k"), it even came with a Pro Controller and Ethernet Port, the monkey's paw would be that yopu couldn't take it with you on the go. Basically the opposite situation with the Lite where you can only take it on the go.

Would you buy it or stick with the hybrid (how God originally intended)?

I'm not going into the technical aspects fully because I don't want someone saying "1.5 TFLOPS would be impossible because blah blah" I just want to ask a hypothetical Monkey's Paw what if scenario, especially now they have a Lite that has proven Nintendo are willing to optimise the Switch for handheld only play, what if they built a "Switch" for home console only play?

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I play my Switch docked 99% of the time anyway, so I'd definitely get it. If I for some reason would miss the handheld mode I'd just get a Lite as well (given that my purchases can be shared between the consoles).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stick with hybrid. Nintendo as a full home console hasn't really been it chief, as much as I like some of their games. There's only a select couple that work best as docked (Splatoon, Smash Bros) but the rest I appreciate the hybrid option.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'd get it and probably a Lite or the revised regular Switch. I'm used to owning a Nintendo handheld and console anyway.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
The switch lite is dumb because it doesn't actually switch, a docked switch pro would be dumb because it also doesn't switch.

How, if you told me I could stream games from the base station through my wi-fi mesh network to a tablet... sure

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I would probably play way more docked than portable, but I'd take the new Switch even with just the upgraded battery life as it doesn't sacrifice the option of portability.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No

One of the biggest draws of the Switch is the hybrid factor

Same reason I'm not super interested in the Lite

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I picked "Yeah" even though I don't play docked only.

It's just that I can afford to buy both Pro and a Lite so why not.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I don't care at all about the handheld side of things. I just want the best Bayonetta I can get.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there really needs to be a 'I'd buy it but also have a handheld Switch' option.

I do like the hybrid nature, and that'd be preferable, but I just want a pro in general.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
what if the Switch Pro existed

Oh, it existed according to John Harker and Matt but, that's all they said.

Because of that, people went wild with speculation over something that didn't have a release period, if it was in production or even what it does.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wouldn't buy a docked-only Switch, especially not if it only offered 1.5 TFLOPS (that's worse than PS4, and we're talking about a 2020 machine. It'd be a dreadful system). Hybrid has converted me: it allows me to play how I want, and that makes it better for me than both a stationary console as a straight handheld (even if the latter is cheaper).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'd buy it and a lite probably and regret both when it turns out no games use the extra power and i rarely take the switch anywhere

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
No point unless it would be really strong and I'm not talkng of 4k resolution - lol. Something as powerful as PS4 Pro at least, then we are talking.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Handheld. I mean, why would I play the Switch on the big screen if I have a decent PC and a PS4? Apart from stuff like Mario Party it's never docked anyway.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This is what I always wanted, f the portability, gimme a good hardware in a box... but won't happen, and since I don't want to play games in that state I'll skip the console, hoping in a real Pro someday or a Switch 2.

Hilarious btw how Nintendo can do an only portable version but oh god no, and home only version wouldn't make sense for a "switch"...

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not interested in a Switch that doesn't switch. Honestly, you'd get, what, 1080p, 30ish FPS, no AA for Breath of the Wild 2? Knowing that Nintendo is never going to be chase graphical fidelity like you want them to, knowing that games still have to fit on game cards, knowing they're probably never going to do HDR or those SSDs in the new consoles or anything like that?

Hell, absolute pie in the sky, Nintendo makes a PS4-Pro-level box... the same year that the PS5 comes out. I just don't get the point of chasing power in a console that is always inevitably going to be underpowered compared to the competition. I don't know why you'd want to give up the Switch's best feature just so you can have the worst home console of the bunch.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
This is what I always wanted, f the portability, gimme a good hardware in a box... but won't happen, and since I don't want to play games in that state I'll skip the console, hoping in a real Pro someday or a Switch 2.

Hilarious btw how Nintendo can do an only portable version but oh god no, and home only version wouldn't make sense for a "switch"...

Nintendo has never stated this, that's generally people on this forum when people have asked before about a home console Switch.

I think with a handheld only Switch Nintendo have hypothetically opened the door to possibilities of a Switch family of consoles including one that's optimised for a home console experience exclusively.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does a monkey's paw have to do with this?

I thought this was going to be a Youtuber conspiracy theory.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If Nintendo wasn't just plain awful at everything I'd take a Switch Home and a hybrid Switch and just use them interchangeably. But in reality I'd have to manually transfer my no-cloud saves back and forth constantly because Nintendo.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Hybrid, obviously.

The option with the most freedom, that no stationary console or handheld (or streaming service) could offer: Playing how, where and when I want.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
tenor.gif

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
If it's capable to play Nintendo games at 4k, yes absolutely.
I would consider to trade in my current switch for a Pro + Lite combo, for the best experience on both TV and handheld mode.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I own a Switch, I don't think there is much use for such an upgrade at this point. 4K is nice sure, but if I really need that, I can always download Yuzu and load my Switch games into it that way, but it's not important at this point. A 1.5TFLOPs Switch would be nice if it was the portable performance, but that isn't happening until at least next gen.

I see no need for such a middle of the road console. If Nintendo was going to make a Console only Switch, just go all out and give us something better than a PS5 IMO, that is why I find it pointless.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not interested in a Switch that doesn't switch. Honestly, you'd get, what, 1080p, 30ish FPS, no AA for Breath of the Wild 2? Knowing that Nintendo is never going to be chase graphical fidelity like you want them to, knowing that games still have to fit on game cards, knowing they're probably never going to do HDR or those SSDs in the new consoles or anything like that?

Hell, absolute pie in the sky, Nintendo makes a PS4-Pro-level box... the same year that the PS5 comes out. I just don't get the point of chasing power in a console that is always inevitably going to be underpowered compared to the competition. I don't know why you'd want to give up the Switch's best feature just so you can have the worst home console of the bunch.

Because it'd be the best legal way of playing Nintendo exclusive games? Sure you wouldn't personally but some just buy Nintendo consoles just for the Nintendo exclusives.

Those people may fit within the ven diagram of not caring about handheld play and just purchased the Switch for Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, ARMS etc. They'd probably be okay with this concept.

I personally have a PS4, Switch and a PC but I still mostly buy for PS4 despite having a PC more powerful than that. The same could be applied to a non hybrid Switch "Pro" people have various and sometimes even small reasons such as controller preference. I prefer Joycons to a normal controller, and preferred the Wii U Pro controller to the Duel Shock 4 controller because of the battery life and the fact the parallel sticks were at the top.

So there's lots of reasons, even small ones that people would buy this?

Would I? No because I prefer the convenience of playing both docked and handheld when I take it to work.

Some people would prefer to get this because they never take the tablet out of the dock and want the best performing exclusives for that console.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a console-only Switch as a Pro model would make a lot of sense. Especially from a technical point of view, it's the handheld mode that's impressive and not docked play. A Pro model that doesn't improve in the area the Switch actually manages to impress, but instead only elevates docked performance from unremarkable to slightly less unremarkable is a rather niche product.

In general I do see a market for a cheap TV-only device, but not marketed as a Pro version of the hardware, but as a cheap entry point for local multiplayer titles.

Oct 25, 2017
I would only buy a Switch if this was a thing. I have absolutely zero interest in handheld gaming, so the screen, battery, and shitty joycons are all features that have no function to me, and likely account for the majority of the hardware cost in the Switch. If they could instead allocate that cost to better performance (or cut the cost by removing those features I don't use), then I'd actually buy one.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy it, but I'll also buy Lite and abandon the OG model.

I mostly play my Switch docked, but I still need it portable at times.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get it and a lite. Keep my cloud saves synced and I'm golden. Best of both worlds.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Well that is how I play the Switch now, so that would be only a positive.
Unsure if I'd buy another Switch for it thoo.
Partly due to the little gametime my Switch get and partly due to honestly Igeltjärn like the upgrade from ps4 to ps4 pro was that great.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
No, the Switch is an incredibly underwhelming home console compared to something like PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, an even more limited version of the switch is absolutely not something i want.

Nov 8, 2017
This is exactly what I want.

I stopped doing long train commutes about 3 years ago, and there's literally no point in playing on a shitty-ass small screen when I got a 55" OLED and 5.1 speakers in my living room.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I only play at home. A Switch without a display, and just a box would be cheaper to produce as well. Would love to get one. Not that it would ever happen though.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Some games are great to have portable, and some are really only meant to be played docked (more due to performance or technical considerations though.) I'd rather have the hybrid. I WOULD agonize between console or handheld if I could only go one way though, probably favoring handheld since it'd still be stupid weak compared to most consoles while there's nothing else filling the handheld niche now if you're not diving into old hardware (and hoping their batteries didn't bulge out or anything.)