• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Monkey island and deponia series are combining fun story teller with type of humors that is very simple but greatly funny...

Ron Gilbert and the German studios made a masterpiece point and click series....

Now after ending them counless time..

Is there any point and click game similar to those???

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
There's some of the older LucasArts and Sierra adventure games like Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, Freddy Pharkas, Grim Fandango, Sam And Max (and the TellTale Sam and Max games), Leisure Suit Larry 1-7.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might I tell you about our Lord and Savior Purple Tentacle? 🙏

You should play day of the tentacle. Like immediately.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Less overtly comedic than the Lucasarts games, but Wadjet Eye Games are pretty good.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road should immediately be on your play list.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Telltale's Sam and Max Season 1 and 2. They're pretty much a classic point and click without many gimmicks, nothing very ambitious. Season 3 was where they tried a lot of different things so they may not sit well for some people but I thought it was the best season. Then they made Walking Dead and every game was that.

Try the Broken Sword series and Pendulo's games, too, but nothing came close to Monkey Island IMO. It's my favorite game series.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Most of Tim Schafer's games are the best examples of humor in games imo, and most are point and click or essentially point and click with 3d movement.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Checkout Thimbleweed Park. It's the Ron Gilbert Kickstarter game, which pretty reminiscent of stuff like Monkey Island and Day of The Tentacle. You should checkout Broken Sword too. It's more adventure-y than funny, but I love that game.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Monkey island and deponia series are combining fun story teller with type of humors that is very simple but greatly funny...

Ron Gilbert and the German studios made a masterpiece point and click series....

Now after ending them counless time..

Is there any point and click game similar to those???
Any of the lucasarts adventure games. Or if you want something more modern, maybe broken age from double fine or thimbleweed park or whatever, i think ron worked on that.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
You definitely want to play Size Five Games' stuff, especially Lair of the Clockwork God, which released a couple months ago or so. It's British humour through and through, with witty writing and extremely clever yet doable puzzles.

Edit: You may also like TrĂĽberbrook, which came out last year or so. It's got a very impressive hand-crafted aesthetic, and its storytelling has a wacky light-hearted LucasArts style to it, but on the whole I thought it wasn't all that amazing.

Edit 2: I know you didn't ask for non-humorous point-and-click games, but I think it's worth mentioning in this thread that there's an excellent murder mystery game set in Ancient China based on the Detective Di legend.

Finally, there's The Dream Machine, which is very weird and often unsettling, but quite the experience (and it also has an amazing totally hand-crafted aesthetic).

Last edited:

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn that I read the Day of the Tentacle Remaster was coming to the Switch but now I can't find it anywhere.

After the huge success that was Thimbleweed Park I thought it was a gimme.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Tales of MI and Sam and Max Telltale Seasons is the closest you'll get to that point and click/humor combo.
There's also Broken Sword but its more on the light comedy side.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Find these games. Play them immediately. Terry Pratchett is a genius.
s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

If you like Daedalic's style and Deponia - did you play Edna's Break Out and/or Harvey's New Eyes, there first games?
While Edna's Break Out might be a bit clunky gameplaywise and is more of a fanvavourite, Harvey's New Eyes is already a lot better.
And what about their game Whispered World? Not that overly funny, but still a very good game.
Then we also have Chain's of Satinav and its sequel Memoria - both not on the funny side, more a bit dark actually, but still very good games.
Man, I really hope Daedalic gets back to PnC games. .__.

So good and funny and handdrawn, it could be from Daedalic: Inner World 1 + 2. Both really great games, full of charme and smart jokes.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the Deponia games get better? I only played the first one but found the main character so mean and off-putting that I ended up not enjoying it. Does his character improve at all?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Deponia games get better? I only played the first one but found the main character so mean and off-putting that I ended up not enjoying it. Does his character improve at all?

I heard this about the first one and never ended up playing the series because of it. Interested in the answer to this.

I heard this about the first one and never ended up playing the series because of it. Interested in the answer to this.
No.
If the first isn't for you, the rest won't as well. As much as I love the series, 2 and 3 have some very iffy jokes. Even I had to cringe hard sometimes.
It got better again with the forth game, but if you haven't played the whole series, it is meaningless storywise.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the old LucasArts point and click games are great - Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max are the closest to Monkey Island in terms of style, humour and quality, Grim Fandango is good but has a more film noir, 1920s detective film aesthetic. I really enjoy Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis too - fantastic original adventure with a lot of humour and a couple of branching paths. I've not played The Dig (or at least not in as long as I can remember) but that might be worth a try. Not a funny game though, more of a sci-fi adventure.

Broken Age is good, so is Thimbleweed Park. I'd also recommend the Ben There, Dan That series for it's humour too.

I'd have to disagree with the poster above that recommended the Leisure Suit Larry series - it doesn't really hold up well in terms of its content (jokes or plot) and there's much more out there you can try that's a better use of your time.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
Funny this thread came up, I just finished a play through of Monkey Island 1.

What a terrible game. Other than the sword fighting, it's quite frankly awful. The puzzles are terrible, the constant walking back and forth is annoying, and the whole thing wasn't actually very funny.

I then moved to Monkey Island 3 and it's already significantly better, but have only just started. Let's hope this is still as good as I remember.

As for the recommendation, Broken Age. But I quite enjoyed going through it. Not perfect, but felt like a LucasArts game.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
youtu.be

PC Longplay [129] Toonstruck (Part 1 of 2)

http://www.longplays.orgPlayed by: MadMatty- Toonstruck by Richard Hare, 1996 and published by virgin Interacive.ScummVM was used to play through this game e...
youtu.be

Starship Titanic - Intro & Gameplay

Review http://www.oldpcgaming.net/starship-titanic-review/

Besides Monkey Island 3, these were my favorite point & click adventures. Also Gabriel Knight 2 but that one isnt so funny

Oct 27, 2017
If you name Ron Gilbert specifically then at least mention Jan "Poki" MĂĽler-Michaelis as well since he's the mastermind behind most Daedelic adventures.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Simon the Sorcerer (first one), Goblins series, Legend of Kyrandia series (2-3 are more humorous), Rex Nebular, Space Quest series. Also text-based games from Legend like Eric the Unready.

Eric_the_Unready_06.gif

Last edited:

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Made by Tim Schafer.
One of my recent favorites in the genre, and definitely one of the funniest games in the genre.

The kickstarter craze brought out some good Point&Click adventures, but this one is the one that hit closest to the LucasArts games (from Monkey Island and forward).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love monkey island, but can't deal with Deponia's character, i fuxking hate Rufus compared to Guybrush

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018

Made by Tim Schafer.
One of my recent favorites in the genre, and definitely one of the funniest games in the genre.

The kickstarter craze brought out some good Point&Click adventures, but this one is the one that hit closest to the LucasArts games (from Monkey Island and forward).

Loved Deponia 1 and 2 (still need to play 3 and 4)... but Broken Age is the real deal. Incredible!

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I have never liked a Daedalic adventure.

It's kind of weird, they're basically made specifically for my demographic: German and loves adventure games with a strong nostalgia for the Lucas style. The games I played ranged from "hate it with a passion" (Deponia games) to "yeah, it's okay I guess" (Harvey's New Eyes, Whispered World) for me. It's mostly their writing and their nudge nudge wink wink style of humor.

I have a slight suspicion that German humor doesn't really work for me. German comedy that is not political satire mostly falls completely flat for me as well.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Full Throttle was mentioned, but it really is excellent if you haven't played it OP. It seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Something more recent is Machinarium. Moreso in the way the game plays, I think. It doesn't really do the humor, but it's a great point 'n click too.

It's on Game Pass for PC at the moment if you're a Game Pass subscriber so it's worth checking out.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

It's kind of weird, they're basically made specifically for my demographic: German and loves adventure games with a strong nostalgia for the Lucas style. The games I played ranged from "hate it with a passion" (Deponia games) to "yeah, it's okay I guess" (Harvey's New Eyes, Whispered World) for me. I kind of hate their writing and their nudge nudge wink wink style of humor.

I have a slight suspicion that German humor doesn't really work for me. German comedy that is not political satire mostly falls completely flat for me as well.

Have you tried The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (and then Memoria)? I'm not all that keen on Daedlic's other games either, but I really enjoyed those two. They're not outright comedy games, and for once the main character isn't an unlikeable dick.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Day of the Tentacle is probably the highlight of the genre for me, alongside the Monkey Islands.

Tangentially related, my current gaming fantasy is that Microsoft turn up to Disney with their chequebook and do a deal for all the LucasArts IP (aside from Star Wars, natch) and then hand it all over to DoubleFine to do with what they will.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I wonder why

It's kind of weird, they're basically made specifically for my demographic: German and loves adventure games with a strong nostalgia for the Lucas style. The games I played ranged from "hate it with a passion" (Deponia games) to "yeah, it's okay I guess" (Harvey's New Eyes, Whispered World) for me. It's mostly their writing and their nudge nudge wink wink style of humor.

A pity that the Mortadelo y Filemon point and click adventure games by Alcachofa Soft, who made The Abbey, have not been localised to English, though they were released in Germany with translation which is very good, same with voice acting

The Abbey is a tribute to the 1988 game La abadia del crimen, which was based on Eco's the Name of the Rose.

cleverundsmart_8.jpg

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Made by Tim Schafer.

Act 2 really spoiled alot of my feelings on the game due to inconsistent writing. Tim is like the Tim Burton in gaming, he was a visionary with amazing games that resonate with me forever and then out of no where he just sort of stopped

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Has multiple entries and hits the same notes:
store.steampowered.com

The Book of Unwritten Tales on Steam

In a world torn by war, the aged gremlin archaeologist Mortimer MacGuffin harbors the dark secret of a powerful artifact.

store.steampowered.com

Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sail on Steam

When we last saw our less-than-dashing hero, Leisure Suit Larry, he was in a rather sticky situation. Not one to be tied down, Larry makes the best of things by going on a cruise to forget the previous escapade.
store.steampowered.com

Thimbleweed Park™ on Steam

In Thimbleweed Park, a dead body is the least of your problems. Switch between five playable characters to uncover the surreal secrets of this strange town in a modern mystery adventure game from the creators of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. The deeper you go, the weirder it gets.
store.steampowered.com

Sam & Max Hit the Road on Steam

Grab your nightstick, squeal like a siren, and Hit the Road with Sam & Max, Freelance Police, as they attempt to crack their toughest case.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Lair of the clockwork God is definitely one of the funniest games of recent times. Haven't laughed as much at any other game in decades.

For a very different yet also similar game to P&C adventures try Disco Elysium. It's technically an RPG but mostly a point & click, the RPG mechanics only alter the way the story goes.

Tales of MI and Sam and Max Telltale Seasons is the closest you'll get to that point and click/humor combo.
There's also Broken Sword but its more on the light comedy side.
The Wallace & Gromit TT series too. They also made two Bone games early on, not sure if there were more episodes planned there.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the other classic Lucasarts games, Thimbleweed Park is the only P+C adventure that has scratched that specific humorous point and click itch for me in The past 20 or so years (whenever Curse of Monkey Island/Grim Fandango came out).

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I liked Hollywood Monsters, but I was young and had not played many other adventures before so can't remember how good it really was.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Act 2 really spoiled alot of my feelings on the game due to inconsistent writing. Tim is like the Tim Burton in gaming, he was a visionary with amazing games that resonate with me forever and then out of no where he just sort of stopped

The main issue that the story has a lot of threads that arent solved in a satisfactory way, but while the ending might not be all that, I truly enjoyed the second act for the puzzles, the dialogs, the characters and the lovely art. The increased challenge in the puzzles was a great step up compared to act 1, and the act has some of the funniest dialog exchanges in the genre.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Lots of great suggestions here, Day of the Tentacle probably being the pinnacle of smart, funny point & clicks.

the one series I was most pleasantly surprised by, that reminded me a lot of Monkey Island and I rarely see mentioned is the Journey Down Trilogy. Available on Switch.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Great thread! Busy with adventure games myself a lot lately. Soon I'm gonna start with Monkey Island 2 on Xbox. Deponia looks great.

Would you say those puzzles are doable or can they be very challenging? In my younger years I played lots of adventure games but I got stuck a lot because of puzzles that just didn't make much sense. How is that in Deponia?