• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Last week I was playing the demo (on the Japanese eShop) and I couldn't do the second level. I felt the controls were quite bad.

Then yesterday I saw a GameXplain video of the demo, and they beat the second level on their first try. "But those guys are usually not very good" I said to myself. "How could this be?!" So I tried a GameCube controller and... also beat it in my first try.

Hopefully this game once again highlights Joy Con drifting. It is a thing, Nintendo.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Like every game that uses them? I mean, yea they should do something but ...literally everything will highlight this for people that have it, no?

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Some more than others. In Monkey Ball we are talking precision movement where the tiniest flick is a game over (as opposed to inconvinience). I mean, people dont even realise auto steering is on in Mario Kart half the time.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
It's not just the Joy-con control sticks that are a problem here, but rather it's the way that they've just clumsily mapped the Wii Remote's motion controls directly to the control stick. It doesn't feel right because the controls were designed with the fine motion and fidelity of your wrist in mind; as a result, it doesn't feel like the GCN games and making fine adjustments is almost impossible as the camera and the stage flail about wildly.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
OP, it's also because the Gamecube Controller and the Nunchuck have this amazing thing called octogonal-gated analogue sticks.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the Joy-con control sticks that are a problem here, but rather it's the way that they've just clumsily mapped the Wii Remote's motion controls directly to the control stick. It doesn't feel right because the controls were designed with the fine motion and fidelity of your wrist in mind; as a result, it doesn't feel like the GCN games and making fine adjustments is almost impossible as the camera and the stage flail about wildly.

True.

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, yeah? If your controller has drifting issues then games that use it will be affected. Thanks for the common sense PSA

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, if you have Joycon issues, call up Nintendo or submit a repair request and get them fixed.

Nintendo chargers for repairs in the UK if you don't have the receipt or if it has been more than a year since purchase.

Uhh, yeah? If your controller has drifting issues then games that use it will be affected. Thanks for the common sense PSA

I can't think of many games that need the exact precision that Monkey Ball does for it to be the difference between life and death. Even "casuals" should notice the drift with this one.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
thankfully this game - like most switch games - is available on other platforms with good controllers.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
I brought the parts on Amazon UK for Ā£10, the tools were also included, and did it myself. It's super easy, quick and probably much cheaper than what Nintendo UK would charge.

I bought something similar this morning from eBay for Ā£7. Looking forward to trying it out. Do you have a link to what you bought?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the replaced sticks will drift eventually?

Who knows, but mine is currently fine and held up during my playthrough of Dragon Quest XI. Whereas my original joycon stick started drifting not long after launch and it gradually got worse over time.

Another tip I can give you is to take pictures as you go along, so you can reassemble it easier, and calibrate the new stick once you have popped them in.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I've just discovered this week that my Pro Controller analogue sticks have intermittent severe drift issues.

For some reason they were only noticeable when I was guiding my legion around, initially I figured it's just the buggy camera angle. But after asking about it in the OT and then trying playing the game with my joycons it definitely shows that my sticks were faulty. I'd played that way handicapping myself and blamed the game for the issues. It's the main game I've gone out of my way to use the Pro Controller on. I got all the way up to Chapter 9 before I played it properly.

Luckily Amazon accepted the return even though I had it longer than 30 days.

I love me some Monkey Ball so I hope my next controller has no issues.

Why oh why haven't Nintendo released a joycon with an octagonal Gamecube-esque gate?

Last edited:

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or we could go ahead and continue to highlight this bullshit publicly. This shit aint going away and the more we bring it up the better.

while still accepting a broken or damaged controller won't fix itself and affect every game that broken controller is used with
Not denying you have an issue, nor that you shouldn't complain about it, however also do something about it or stop using it, that shit is broken and won't miraculously get better..